Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wildcard name that I like for some team in the future...

Mike Zimmer--He pretty much molded the Cowboys D for 7 years a few years back and they were very under rated. The gave up the fewest yards in 2003. He then went to Atlanta and left because of their coaching issues and has been at Cincy where they have started to turn it around on D. If you watched Hard Knocks he is a no-nonsense guy who brings tough love...while throwing in a few F bombs. He might be too experimental for here but I think he is the type guy needed.

Last edited:
I hate to give credence to this topic at this point in time, but that's not to say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

And, to feed my own curiosity; assuming Kubiak was fired, and assuming McNair lured Cowher here with enough cash, what would he do as defensive hires? I know he had LeBeau for a large portion of his tenure with the Steelers. Who else ran his defense while he was there? And have they been strictly a 3-4 team, or do I remember correctly that they ran a 4-3 when LeBeau wasn't there?

Just because you know what you're going to get with Marty. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather go with someone with more possible upside than a guy who has had success but has never been able to finish in the playoffs.

Well, that could mean that he's meant for Houston. Perhaps that changes everything and he wins the Super Bowl with us. A negative times a negative equals a positive.

Cowher is the obvious choice but also a pie-in-the-sky. Mike Holmgren or Dungy would be perfect, especially Dungy. No thanks to Gruden or Papa Shanahan. Or Martyball.

Scouting out a new guy might work too...I mean it worked for the Steelers...

As I said before. You gotta think that Dungy really considers it if we ask him.

I'm coming late into the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm not sure it matters, actually. Other teams take guys who have been coordinators for a while, and they have success. Other teams go from 1-15 to winning records in a single year or maybe two. Other teams manage to make their rookie QBs or old beat-down vets look good.

Our team took a head coach with HC experience and they suck. Our team took a very highly regarded coordinator who had paid his dues and has been to SIX Super Bowls as a player and coach, and they suck. Our team never makes a miraculous single season turnaround, unless you consider going from 7-9 to 2-14 a turnaround.

I'm not sure it matters who you take as HC.

I'm thinking Coach Dungy said he was done with football and wants to be a mentor/counselor to young men from now on.

For what that's worth..so many retire and then "un" retire.

I don't really have a candidate in mind either. That being said, the most realistic one mentioned in this thread seems like Mike Zimmer. We'd probably have to hire another coordinator because I don't see why any coach that's won Super Bowls would want to come here.

I'd like too see a guy come in that doesn't want to reinvent the wheel because it isn't his wheel.

I hate to give credence to this topic at this point in time, but that's not to say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

And, to feed my own curiosity; assuming Kubiak was fired, and assuming McNair lured Cowher here with enough cash, what would he do as defensive hires? I know he had LeBeau for a large portion of his tenure with the Steelers. Who else ran his defense while he was there? And have they been strictly a 3-4 team, or do I remember correctly that they ran a 4-3 when LeBeau wasn't there?

He could find some of LeBeau's understudies who gained experience and knowldege working with him....proven techniques with fresh ideas could make the D somewhat better....
I'm sure Cowher is would come back if the price is right....if not, Florida is only a 2 hour flight for Dungy....lot of colleges/prep schools, churches Dungy could continue to mentor and do what he does...

I don't really have a candidate in mind either. That being said, the most realistic one mentioned in this thread seems like Mike Zimmer. We'd probably have to hire another coordinator because I don't see why any coach that's won Super Bowls would want to come here.

I'd like too see a guy come in that doesn't want to reinvent the wheel because it isn't his wheel.

Yeah but our wheels have been spinning for years...so he can bring new wheels to get it going.

Another reason I brought up Zimmer is that he moved his way up with the Cowboys and though he was behind their 4-3 that kicked tail in the early 2000s, he also coached the 3-4 with no prior experience under Parcells. So the guy has a great football mind.

Just throwing some names out there I havent seen mentioned.

How about someone closer to home. If you really want an in youre face guy Alex Gibbs isnt shy about calling players out. :lion:

Ray Rhodes Might be ready for another head job. :smooch:

Jimmy Johnson is from Port Arthur Could he be ready to return to coaching?

Mike Heimerdinger another offensive guru.

Jim Washburn considered one of the better DL coaches in the NFL.

I would love Cowher, , moderatly happy with Marty, not overly thrilled with Dungy and hate Chucky.

Just throwing some names out there I havent seen mentioned.

How about someone closer to home. If you really want an in youre face guy Alex Gibbs isnt shy about calling players out. :lion:

Ray Rhodes Might be ready for another head job. :smooch:

Jimmy Johnson is from Port Arthur Could he be ready to return to coaching?

Mike Heimerdinger another offensive guru.

Jim Washburn considered one of the better DL coaches in the NFL.

I would love Cowher, , moderatly happy with Marty, not overly thrilled with Dungy and hate Chucky.

Rhodes is out of the question for health reasons. I'd want to go out of staff.

Alex can do OL but, I'm not confident he would be a good HC candidate.

I think JJ is fine with his TV gig and probably won't return for any amount of money.

Don't see Dungy unretiring unless someone has heard rumors of him wanting to come back within the next year or two. Knowing Dungy's character I have a gut feeling he won't coach again after he's says he has no plans to coach again.

To be honest I want a guy that has a track record of doing things right. Though a lot of people might not be thrilled with Marty, I think he's the most realistic candidate who has a good record of turning programs around when given a genuine shot.

While we're talking about people coming out of retirement, why not Dick Vermeil.

If everyone thinks it's bad now, just think what it would be like if Kubiak is fired.

The new HC will want a new QB, a bigger RB, one new OG, a C, possible a LT. That's just the Offense. Of course everything the Defense needs, it will still need, some DT's, at least one real shut down CB, 2 of those Safety guys that we've never seen, and possibly a DE other than Antonio or Conner.

That will take years..............

Although the love I had for our Offense has diminished in light of the problems against "Tough" Defenses, but Indy won a Superbowl with what I would call a finnese Offense, although they did have that #18 guy.

Yeh the Kool Aid is wearing off on me, although I haven't jumped ship yet, I'm just looking for a life jacket, but the thought of dumping Kubes means it will be another 4 years before we see any results. Don't go thinking you'll see one of those Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami type turn arounds, not gonna happen with this team.

As I said before. You gotta think that Dungy really considers it if we ask him.

1252796864582.gif

Dungy after being asked.

We need a Kanye West interrupting Gary Kubiak on the sideline pic, GuerillaBlack.

"Yo, Kube. I'm 'a let you finish, but Dom Capers..."

no mention of Brian Billick?
name recognition - check
super bowl win on the resume' - check
able to gather a capable staff - check
available - check

why not?

This thread should come with a barf bag.

Many of the options listed are very barfy. Or ancient. No offense, but they are.

no mention of Brian Billick?
name recognition - check
super bowl win on the resume' - check
able to gather a capable staff - check
available - check

why not?

In his first season with the Ravens, Billick led the team to its first non-losing record (8–8) in the franchise's brief four-year history.
The next season, Baltimore finished with a 12–4 record and earned its first playoff berth. Prior to reaching the playoffs, Billick forbade his players from using either the term "playoffs" or the term "Super Bowl," with the idea of keeping them focused on winning each game instead of on their more distant prize. Billick felt this approach would help them reach that prize, and went so far as to fine Tony Siragusa for violating this rule. In response, the players borrowed the term "Festivus" from the television series Seinfeld for the playoffs, and the term Festivus Maximus for the Super Bowl. When they reached the playoffs, Billick lifted this ban. The Ravens took advantage of their vaunted defense, which allowed an NFL record-low 165 points in the regular season, during the playoffs to advance to and win Super Bowl XXXV.

Maybe thats what we need to do. I actually forgot about him. He would be as good as any of the others mentioned. Sign him up!:ant:

...and your recommendation waaas......???

I have none. Which makes it barfier.

I hope Kubiak gets his shiite together because a lot of the options that people are saying are meh, ain't gonna come here, or ancient. It's vomity to contemplate.

I hope Kubiak gets his shiite together because a lot of the options that people are saying are meh, ain't gonna come here, or ancient. It's vomity to contemplate.

I hope Kubiac gets his act together also. The thought of a new head coach and this team starting over AGAIN is just to awful to comtemplate.

which was the point of the thread. the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

If Parcells can go to the Cowboys, Belichick can jilt the Jets the day after he takes the job, and Pitino can go to the Louisville, then I have seen crazier/barfier situations.

which was the point of the thread. the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

The grass hasn't even grown yet enough to make an evaluation on what color it is yet. We don't even know who the candidates are yet.

Here's what we know based on history:

1. McNair won't fire an HC during the season because he didn't do it to Capers.

2. NFL teams don't hire guys from the outside as interim coaches.

I'm sure you think it's too soon to be calling for Kubiak's head, but it's way too soon to be nominating replacements.

If money was the motivating factor for Cowher, he would have been coaching already. He's waiting for the perfect situation, which will mean TONS of money, and a place he wants to go. All the Texans can provide is the money side of it.

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.
There is no way Tracy McGrady will ever play for the Houston Rockets....now we can't get the guy out of Houston. What if Cowher was made a minority owner?

I'll just repeat my earlier post:

I'm coming late into the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm not sure it matters, actually. Other teams take guys who have been coordinators for a while, and they have success. Other teams go from 1-15 to winning records in a single year or maybe two. Other teams manage to make their rookie QBs or old beat-down vets look good.

Our team took a head coach with HC experience and they suck. Our team took a very highly regarded coordinator who had paid his dues and has been to SIX Super Bowls as a player and coach, and they suck. Our team never makes a miraculous single season turnaround, unless you consider going from 7-9 to 2-14 a turnaround.

I'm not sure it matters who you take as HC.

1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

And why he WOULDN'T come to Houston...

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.

I posted this in the 2010 HC thread... why the Dallas Cowboys are not an attractive coaching vacancy (assuming Phillips is canned)

The only coaches who will be interested in the Cowboys job are desperate yes-men willing to to do any puppet dance Jerry asks them to do (see recently Wade Phillips). The players are pampered and know Jerry is in charge and the coach will always eventually be undermined by Jerry. No big name HC with rings on their fingers will want to go into a situation where there's a little ferret looking over the shoulders at all times ready to undercut their authority. The Cowboys are slowly becoming the Raiders part 2. And I have friends who are Cowboy fans who call Jerry, Al Davis Jr.

I still say Cowher is the only AVAILABLE (key word - AVAILABLE) coach that I would can Kubiak for. Kubiak, for all his failure, is SO CLOSE to having an elite team.

Cowher is waiting for the one of 2 jobs, Carolina, Fox is on the hot seat, and the Redskin job. Cowher wants to stay on the middle Atlantic coast.

Cowher is waiting for the one of 2 jobs, Carolina, Fox is on the hot seat, and the Redskin job. Cowher wants to stay on the middle Atlantic coast.

Cowher wants to go where he can win, and win in the spotlight. Neither Carolina nor DC offers that. At least not any more than Houston does. Where would YOU rather coach? Look at all three phases of football, and where your strength is. Houston is Cowher's best option to WIN. But the question is, is it enough exposure for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back