Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed may miss games now

This is silly. Has nothing to do with nothing. If they wanted to keep Quin, they could have & sign Cushing & sign Watt. If they want to, they'll find a way, they always do.

There is truth to the concept that money never has to stop an NFL team from signing somebody they want to. It will however stop an NFL team from signing everybody they want to. More importantly, if they're not careful about who the "Somebodies" are, they're going to quickly end up with a very few somebodies, and a very many nobodies.

What are your thoghts on keeping money available for next year and Cushing/Watt signings? Reed can be off the books after this year. Quin would be on for another 4 years at a vets 2nd contract price.

I've said many times I don't play the cap management game. There are guys here who have that stuff down pretty well, but I am not one of them. It's an area where I remain blissfully ignorant. That said, I don't see it as a problem. $5M a year is not where they'll run into cap problems, especially for a younger player. And Ed Reed can be off the books next year, but using that thought process, he could have been off the books this year by never signing him. Also worth noting that Manning won't be here forever, either.

If Ed Reed plays the season for the Texans, then they basically ended up paying the same amount of money for roughly equivalent play (we hope). And then Reed can be sent packing. OK, that's fine, especially with DJS waiting in the wings. But the much bigger risk is that Reed doesn't play a full season, doesn't play as well as he did when he was younger, continues his poor form from last season, and or doesn't ever play a single down for the Texans. And what's the reward for taking that risk? Does anyone actually think we're going to see a resurgent HOF-caliber Ed Reed wearing a Texans uni? At best, he's as good as the guy he replaced. So the risk vs. reward is not worthwhile.

And before anyone gets it in their head that I'm some sort of Quin apologist or fan, that's not the case. I think he's a solid player, and I don't see a ton more upside than what he's shown. He'll never be anything close to what Ed Reed WAS. All I'm interested in is whether that position has been upgraded.

I predict that it hasn't been, on the basis of the Quin-Reed exchange. I just hope Swearinger progresses quickly enough to change the equation.

eriadoc, you sound ignorant.

Reed and Quinn are completely different types of players. We struggles last year against the pass when we played top tier QB's. Ed Reed was brought in because those are the kinds of teams we'll likely have to beat to get to the Superbowl.

If the teams we needed to beat were built like the Vikings with a beat RB that liked to give it to him a lot, then Quinn would probably be a better fit.

They got Reed to help us try to be better against the pass. Not sure how you don't get that.

You just got done telling me that the Texans could sign Quin, Watt and Cushing if they wanted to. Then that they have someone who knows how to manage the cap when sometimes managing the cap means not signing a Glover Quin for 5 years 23 million.

I am not saying they HAD to pass on Quin to get Cushing and Watt, but that it might be a good idea when you are going after guys that are going to command alot of money. But I guess that is "silly" to you.

They had an opportunity to sign Ed Reed.

They wanted to sign Ed Reed.

They had to find a way to do that, that made sense.

I'd have dumped Danieal Manning, but that would have hurt us the most.

They chose not to bring back Glover Quin. To offset his youth vs Reed's, they also drafted Swearinger.

There isn't a lot of difference between Reed's contract & Glovers. Reed isn't going anywhere for the next three years. We will resign Cushing & Watt, regardless.

We may have to let OD go, less he restructures. We may let Antonio Smith go ($9M). They might restructure Schaub/Andre.

If they think it's important, they'll manage the cap to keep the players they feel are important to keep.

Yes, you keep the core group of players by the rule of 20/80 as somebody had posted a great article about cap management some time ago.

Those ten players that occupy the most cap spaces currently are:
AJ, JJo, Ninja, Schaub, Foster, Myers, OD, Manning, Brown, and Cushing.

Next you need to keep an eyes on upcoming contracts for Cush, KJax, Graham, and Mitchell in 2014; possibly Ninja's last contract as well.
And then on to 2015 for Watt, etc.

eriadoc, you sound ignorant.

Pot, kettle, whatever.

Reed and Quinn are completely different types of players. We struggles last year against the pass when we played top tier QB's. Ed Reed was brought in because those are the kinds of teams we'll likely have to beat to get to the Superbowl.

If the teams we needed to beat were built like the Vikings with a beat RB that liked to give it to him a lot, then Quinn would probably be a better fit.

They got Reed to help us try to be better against the pass. Not sure how you don't get that.

I do get that. But what you seem to be ignorant of is:

1.) It doesn't matter what kind of player Ed Reed USED TO BE. He's not the center fielder he used to be.

2.) Ed Reed's not going to be the center fielder he used to be with a hip that Bo Jackson doesn't want.

3.) It doesn't matter what kind of player Ed Reed was or is when he's on the sidelines wearing a ball cap.

4.) The rules have evolved over the years to the point that teams like the Pats, Saints, Packers, et al, are going to pass on you and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You're not allowed to separate the ball from the receiver anymore, because he's "defenseless" (guess all those pads don't count). You can't do much of anything to receivers anymore, and you have to let them catch the ball and take a couple steps before you're allowed to hit them. And even then, you have to hit them in a narrowly defined hit zone. So passing offenses are going to continue passing for more and more yards. The defenses are just going to have to bend without breaking until they get to the red zone, where the passing game gets a little tougher and center fielders don't matter quite so much.

If Ed Reed comes in and plays better than he did last year, then it's a great signing. I've basically said that several times. I just don't see it happening, and I don't see the reward being worth the risk, in this particular case.

Pot, kettle, whatever.

I do get that. But what you seem to be ignorant of is:

1.) It doesn't matter what kind of player Ed Reed USED TO BE. He's not the center fielder he used to be.

There is no pot kettle. That's a figment of your imagination.

No one has said anything about reed being the centerfield we he used to be. That's you trying to create a false argument to argue against.

What has been said is that Reed was brought in to upgrade our pass defense which is what we needed.

Quinn is a better player that Danieal Manning. They would be playing similar type roles.

But where your ignorance is showing is that we needed a player with reeds skill set regardless of whether Quinn was here or not. Just do happens Quinn's deal was up and we had a chance to grab Reed.

But you sound silly making up arguments. No one thinks reed is going to be vintage Reed. Yeah right.

As far as your number 4, that is the weakest argument yet. Can't stop it so don't try...silly.

The way the Texans utilized Quin; Manning and Swearinger are supposed to take turn at that spot while Reed is supposed to take over Manning/Demps deep spot(s).

If they had kept Quin, I imagine they would have been looking for a different type of safety; none was outstanding in the draft.

If Ed Reed comes in and plays better than he did last year, then it's a great signing. I've basically said that several times. I just don't see it happening, and I don't see the reward being worth the risk, in this particular case.

If we compare Glover's stats to Reed's stats next year, I predict Glover is going to have the better numbers. But I think Reed's impact is going to be Tom Brady waiting a fraction of a second longer before letting the ball fly. Hopefully that will allow Whitney, Watt, etc... to finish.

In the end, if we get to the AFC Championship game, I'm going to say it was worth it, regardless what kind of year Glover has (I'm predicting pro bowl).

That's if Ed Reed gives us any significant minutes on the field & I believe he will.

Regardless how many games Ed Reed plays, or how many tackles he misses or how many INTs he has...... if we're not in the AFC Championship game when it's all said & done, I'll feel we wasted our time & money... that it was a bad move.

If we compare Glover's stats to Reed's stats next year, I predict Glover is going to have the better numbers. But I think Reed's impact is going to be Tom Brady waiting a fraction of a second longer before letting the ball fly. Hopefully that will allow Whitney, Watt, etc... to finish.

In the end, if we get to the AFC Championship game, I'm going to say it was worth it, regardless what kind of year Glover has (I'm predicting pro bowl).

That's if Ed Reed gives us any significant minutes on the field & I believe he will.

Regardless how many games Ed Reed plays, or how many tackles he misses or how many INTs he has...... if we're not in the AFC Championship game when it's all said & done, I'll feel we wasted our time & money... that it was a bad move.

I 98.89% agree with that.

Reed had 4 minus pass coverage games last season: Raiders, @Redskins, Broncos, and conferance championship @Patriots. (Super Bowl was on the cusp of a minus game.)

He had 6 plus pass coverage games: Bengals, Patriots, Browns, @Browns, @Chargers, Steelers.

Overall he rated 17th* out of 88 Safties in coverage -- >25% team snaps -- by ProFootballFocus.

* Manning rated 41st out of 88, Demps 54th, Quin 66th.

fwiw....in 2012 PFF had Reed rated at +4.5 (#18 best) in pass coverage to Quins -1.6 (#66 best) in coverage. Quin much better against the run and as was noted, different types of players.

Manning, Swearinger, and Reed all have strengths and weaknesses... but the leadership and experience future HOF Reed brings to this D is invaluable.

I think some here are under-valuing the intangibles Reed brings. Look at the way the D folded down the stretch. Even at his reduced state, he can still play center fielder reasonably well.

More importantly, he's a guy with a rep. And folks like Mr. Manning and Mr. Brady know that rep and I know they look at film - I get that. Still, they have a decade long history with this guy and having him back there is a psychological plus imo.

Secondly, it's a psychological boost for the other 10 guys out there. Again, somewhat based off of rep more than current reality, but there is something reassuring about having a coach on the field out there, and his on field leadership, and making sure guys are aware of formations etc,.and lined up correctly is a huge plus imo.

Let's also not under estimate also his locker room presence. Having a guy with that kind of reputation, ability, and leadership can only help bring young guys along more quickly and better.

Is he worth it? In my humble opinion, yes. Worth every penny.

My guess is he's starting week 3. Not sure if he'll make an appearance in the first 2 games.

fwiw....in 2012 PFF had Reed rated at +4.5 (#18 best) in pass coverage to Quins -1.6 (#66 best) in coverage. Quin much better against the run and as was noted, different types of players.

Manning, Swearinger, and Reed all have strengths and weaknesses... but the leadership and experience future HOF Reed brings to this D is invaluable.

I just finished watching the first half of the Lions/Browns game.
Quin looks pretty much the same guy we saw last year; good near the LOS and in run support, with wart in coverage.
Got beat twice, one resulting in a TD.

I think some here are under-valuing the intangibles Reed brings. Look at the way the D folded down the stretch. Even at his reduced state, he can still play center fielder reasonably well.

More importantly, he's a guy with a rep. And folks like Mr. Manning and Mr. Brady know that rep and I know they look at film - I get that. Still, they have a decade long history with this guy and having him back there is a psychological plus imo.

Secondly, it's a psychological boost for the other 10 guys out there. Again, somewhat based off of rep more than current reality, but there is something reassuring about having a coach on the field out there, and his on field leadership, and making sure guys are aware of formations etc,.and lined up correctly is a huge plus imo.

Let's also not under estimate also his locker room presence. Having a guy with that kind of reputation, ability, and leadership can only help bring young guys along more quickly and better.

Is he worth it? In my humble opinion, yes. Worth every penny.

My guess is he's starting week 3. Not sure if he'll make an appearance in the first 2 games.

This. This. THIS!

the main reason they brought him here. Everyone including the coaching staff and front office knew the team just **** the proverbial bed at the end of the season. Reading too many of their own stories and drinking their own Kool-Aid. Reed WILL NOT let that happen.

This. This. THIS!

the main reason they brought him here. Everyone including the coaching staff and front office knew the team just **** the proverbial bed at the end of the season. Reading too many of their own stories and drinking their own Kool-Aid. Reed WILL NOT let that happen.

True. No way would Reed let the team buy letterman jackets. No freaking way.

Ed Reed is another Tony Boselli. Dumb signing in the hopes they can still play. Atleast Ed will be getting 60k a game whether he plays or not. Must be nice to have a dumb enough team to do that. So we filled a roster spot for a cheerleader? Awesome. Where's David Car so we can have a cheerleader on the Offensive side too?

You want to bet on it? I have a paypal account and would love to make a 100 bet with someone. I bet he doesn't play in 10 games and is a non factor.

Well if worst comes to worse he can coach special teams like he was coaching on a sunday

HANDS UP Harris!

:kitten:

reed2-460x360.jpg

Ed reed in competition for Texans backup QB position.

Ed Reed is another Tony Boselli. Dumb signing in the hopes they can still play. Atleast Ed will be getting 60k a game whether he plays or not. Must be nice to have a dumb enough team to do that. So we filled a roster spot for a cheerleader? Awesome. Where's David Car so we can have a cheerleader on the Offensive side too?

That just shows that you are completely ignorant of the circumstances surrounding the Tony Boselli expansion draft pick. Reed might indeed prove to be a mistake but if he does it won't be anything like what happened with Boselli.

More along the lines of the Ahman Green signing maybe.

I'm actually starting to get pretty pissed about this entire Ed
Reed fiasco.

I seriously doubt this guy contributes much this year. Even
if he gets totally healthy, he's so far behind the 8-ball in
team chemistry with the rest of the secondary that our
playoff position could already be determined by the time
he becomes a factor.

Guy should pay back some of his contract money..

TJ

I'm actually starting to get pretty pissed about this entire Ed
Reed fiasco.

I seriously doubt this guy contributes much this year. Even
if he gets totally healthy, he's so far behind the 8-ball in
team chemistry with the rest of the secondary that our
playoff position could already be determined by the time
he becomes a factor.

Guy should pay back some of his contract money..

TJ

I could be wrong, but I think the main reason people are upset about it is because they think Ed Reed was trying to (& subsequently did) pull one over on the Texans. That he was trying to hide this injury & then laid it on the Texans after he signed the contract.

That's not "exactly" how it went. This is something Reed played with through the Super Bowl. It was something that he thought would go away, or he would play through.

He mentioned it while working out here in Houston & our doctors asked to take a closer look. They didn't like what they saw & suggested he get it surgically repaired.

In my mind, I'm not blaming Reed. I'm thinking our doctors did the right thing, to make sure he starts the season at 100% instead of hoping an existing situation ruins his chance of being healthy enough to play in January & February.

Sure, it would be nice if Ed Reed is ready to play week 1. But I don't really care. As long as he is 100% at least by week 6 through Super Bowl week.

I'd rather have a healthy Ed Reed over one who's not fully ready to play in week 1. One of the keys for the Texans (and it was something I mentioned for last season too) is going to be hitting on full cylinders come December. I won't be overly worried if we get off to a slow start this year. The key is going to be get everyone healthy and on the same page so they can make a deep and meaningful run in the post season.

Brian Billick probably knows Ed Reed just about as good as anyone, and he sounded extremely confident during the telecast that he would be ready for Week 1. They were around the team for a few days so i'm assuming he talked to Ed, coaches, and trainers who most likely gave him this confidence in saying that.

Last edited:
From SportingNews:

The Houston Texans expect by the end of this week to have a better idea whether injured safety Ed Reed will play in their season opener.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Monday that Reed is in Vail, Colo., visiting the surgeon who performed his April hip surgery to repair a partially-torn labrum. He will receive injections in his hip during the visit and then travel Atlanta later this week to continue his rehabilitation.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-08-27/texans-ed-reed-injury-status-week-1-season-opener-hip-surgery

:spin:

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 2h
Safety Ed Reed was at the #Texans Team Luncheon today. Was in Vail, CO yesterday. Heading to Atlanta sometime this week too.

Veteran safety Ed Reed will likely make the final decision as to whether he plays during a regular season-opener Sept. 9 at San Diego.

Reed attended the Texans’ annual team luncheon Tuesday after visiting Monday with his surgeon in Vail, Colo. It will take about 3-5 days for the injections Reed received to set in, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Tuesday, and the team is ready to play him against the Chargers if Reed gives the OK.

“It’s really Ed’s call because he’s been through this process before,” Kubiak said at a Galleria-area hotel. “Ed’s played a lot of football. Ed doesn’t need to go out there and play cover-3 because he’s been doing it for many years - that’s not a problem. It gets down to him still having confidence in what he’s doing and feeling confident and, obviously, we’re in this for the long haul, so we want to do the smart thing

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...ys/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Dude, seriously calm down. You'll have a stroke being such a negative Nancy.

Rep! Battered Texans syndrome maybe? I see nothing that indicates he won't be playing against the Chargers. If anything all indications point to him giving it a shot at playing. He wants to make his mark here in H-town!

Back