Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ed Reed may miss games now

Dude, seriously calm down. You'll have a stroke being such a negative Nancy.

Or more appropriately a:

Debbie-Downer.png

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 2h
Safety Ed Reed was at the #Texans Team Luncheon today. Was in Vail, CO yesterday. Heading to Atlanta sometime this week too.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...ys/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Its "Eds call" just like it was in Baltimore. For the hundredth time: its Ed being Ed. This is his thing.

I used to laugh at Ravens fans on a different forum because they posted the same things year after year before the season started.

I'm actually starting to get pretty pissed about this entire Ed
Reed fiasco.

I seriously doubt this guy contributes much this year. Even
if he gets totally healthy, he's so far behind the 8-ball in
team chemistry with the rest of the secondary that our
playoff position could already be determined by the time
he becomes a factor.

Guy should pay back some of his contract money..

TJ

Playoff position is overrated. It's about how you play down the stretch. If you want the Lombardi, you are going to have to beat the good teams, regardless of playoff positioning.

If Reed misses the first half the season, but plays the way he is capable of playing in the second half of the season and through the playoffs, then signing is worth it.

I'd catagorize his incentives as very doubtful, just like his chances of seeing the field in the first half of the season. This FA signing is backfiring on us so far, we'll see what happens for the season but it's not looking good.

I think he misses the first two games and plays against Baltimore.

As long as this guy gets chemistry with the team by the playoffs & is playing with us in the playoffs, & we make the playoffs, I don't really care.

The sooner he gets on the field, the more I will worry that he will be injured come playoff time. I see that as a much bigger problem if it happens.

So, he avoids training camp & preseason. Foster avoids hits & we all know it's the smart thing to do.

I think Hopkins could learn something from Reed about not getting yourself hurt in preseason right about now (sit out the 4th preseason game--it ain't worth the risk)...

They've got someone who knows how to manage the cap.

No question about that. Now if you ask, do they do it well, now that's a horse of different color. In another week when the Texans are trying to get their final 53 man roster complete along with signing 8 players to their practice squad and have to restructure $5 million plus in salaries, some fans will say, see they doing a wonderful job managing the salary cap.:vincepalm:

Denver does.

I knew someone would post about Denver. Home field is an advantage. Its not a guaranteed victory. At least Denver was in the game. The Patriots took care of the Texans early. And the Texans blew a week off with some rest also. Hopefully the Texans come out and play the 2013 season like they did in 2011 because last year was embarrassing every time the played an elite team with an elite qb. And then they rolled over at the end of the season against lesser opponents with so much on the line.

I knew someone would post about Denver. Home field is an advantage. Its not a guaranteed victory. At least Denver was in the game. The Patriots took care of the Texans early. And the Texans blew a week off with some rest also. Hopefully the Texans come out and play the 2013 season like they did in 2011 because last year was embarrassing every time the played an elite team with an elite qb. And then they rolled over at the end of the season against lesser opponents with so much on the line.

Yeah.... getting healthy at the end of the season wasn't going to help this team win at home. Unless the Bengals pulled one out of their butts & came to Reliant, we'd have got beat at home.

Playing well at the end of the season...... that's another myth. The Bengals won 5 of their last 6 but were 1 & done thanks to a poorly playing Texans team. The Ravens lost 3 of their last 4.

The important thing, is to know that if you play the best game you've ever played in your life, you can get to the next level & trust that the guy next to you will play his absolute best.

That's why you see Shane Vareen & Steven "Who" Riddley play out of their minds in the play offs, Danny Moorhead.... JAG on any other team, just like the Patriots entire secondary... but they beat us.

Jacoby Jones is one play away from being the Super Bowl MVP (in my mind & for this argument), because he "stepped it up" That aging defense had one more game in them & they let it all hang out on the goal line.

Maybe it was because they were close for the last 4 years & they knew that however "good" they were those previous years, it wasn't good enough.

No question about that. Now if you ask, do they do it well, now that's a horse of different color. In another week when the Texans are trying to get their final 53 man roster complete along with signing 8 players to their practice squad and have to restructure $5 million plus in salaries, some fans will say, see they doing a wonderful job managing the salary cap.:vincepalm:

As long as they aren't tying themselves to Eric Winston & Kevin Walter or players of their ilk..... it's all good.

Playing well at the end of the season...... that's another myth.

Tell that to the Giants when they went on a tear the 2nd half of the season and decided not to rest players when they had the opportunity. Then they tore through the playoffs and beat the Patriots in the superbowl. That was some kind of momentum.

Jacoby Jones is one play away from being the Super Bowl MVP (in my mind & for this argument), because he "stepped it up" That aging defense had one more game in them & they let it all hang out on the goal line.

Jacoby could always flash on occasion. He failed in Houston because he could never step up when the team needed him. As far as Jacoby stepping it up for the Ravens I think it was more of one of his occasional flash games that just happened to be the superbowl rather than Jacoby turning something on because it was the superbowl. When it was time to step it up for the Texans in the playoffs he failed miserably in the Baltimore game. I suspect he will be back to his usual self.

Tell that to the Giants when they went on a tear the 2nd half of the season and decided not to rest players when they had the opportunity. Then they tore through the playoffs and beat the Patriots in the superbowl. That was some kind of momentum.

Actually, if you're referring to the 2011 Giants, their regular season record for games 9-16 was 3-5. The three wins did happen in the final four games, but it was hardly going on a tear for half a season. The reason they decided not to rest any players is because if they had lost any one of those final four games, they would have been out of the playoffs (Their final RS record was 9-7). But if you want to make it sound like it's because they wanted to keep the non-existent momentum, go right ahead.

As long as they aren't tying themselves to Eric Winston & Kevin Walter or players of their ilk..... it's all good.

The Texans in 2013 are only utilizing about 85-88% of the actual fully allotted salary cap because they've restructured so many contracts in recent years past. (mortgaged the future) The other 12-15% has been borrowed from future years. This is a big reason why the Texans depth is so thin because all they can afford is minimums, vet minimums or maybe a tad more. Borrowing $12 -$15 million in advance to pay players today doesn't sound like much until you consider $12-$15 million would pay for 4 to 5 $3 mil a yr players this year. Like I said some see this buy now pay later strategy...as it's all good and some of us don't. The 53 man roster will be determined by as much as anything is what the Texans can afford vs who are really the very best 53 players available.

The Texans in 2013 are only utilizing about 85-88% of the actual fully allotted salary cap because they've restructured so many contracts in recent years past. (mortgaged the future) The other 12-15% has been borrowed from future years. This is a big reason why the Texans depth is so thin because all they can afford is minimums, vet minimums or maybe a tad more. Borrowing $12 -$15 million in advance to pay players today doesn't sound like much until you consider $12-$15 million would pay for 4 to 5 $3 mil a yr players this year. Like I said some see this buy now pay later strategy...as it's all good and some of us don't. The 53 man roster will be determined by as much as anything is what the Texans can afford vs who are really the very best 53 players available.
If you want to see how this strategy works out, go watch an Astros game. You can't have a roster full of superstars, but you must pay the ones you have at various positions and fill in the rest via the draft and FA. IMHO, Smith and Kubiak seem to be on the same page, drafting well and getting fantastic UDFA's. We're thin at some positions right now because both Smith and Kubiak were learning how to get in the same book for a few years, much less the same page of the same book. I can't begin to imagine how much influence Phillips has had in this.

This is the way great organizations like the Steelers and Patriots keep reloading and staying in contention. :boogereater:

If you want to see how this strategy works out, go watch an Astros game. You can't have a roster full of superstars, but you must pay the ones you have at various positions and fill in the rest via the draft and FA. IMHO, Smith and Kubiak seem to be on the same page, drafting well and getting fantastic UDFA's. We're thin at some positions right now because both Smith and Kubiak were learning how to get in the same book for a few years, much less the same page of the same book. I can't begin to imagine how much influence Phillips has had in this.

This is the way great organizations like the Steelers and Patriots keep reloading and staying in contention. :boogereater:

There is no cap in baseball. The last 3 years the Texans have started with their backs up against the salary cap wall (little or no room). It doesn't appear that there is any relief in the near future. This puts the Texans at a distinct disadvantage because they've consistently pushed money to future years, year after year. The Steelers and Patriots are NOT having to restructure contracts 3 years in a row. The Texans have converted quite a few of today's salaries to tomorrows dollars. When Mario became a FA and his $20 million salary came off the books the Texans still started the new year over the cap. Yep, these guys are doing a swell job. :clap:

There is no cap in baseball. The last 3 years the Texans have started with their backs up against the salary cap wall (little or no room). It doesn't appear that there is any relief in the near future. This puts the Texans at a distinct disadvantage because they've consistently pushed money to future years, year after year. The Steelers and Patriots are NOT having to restructure contracts 3 years in a row. The Texans have converted quite a few of today's salaries to tomorrows dollars. When Mario became a FA and his $20 million salary came off the books the Texans still started the new year over the cap. Yep, these guys are doing a swell job. :clap:

I wouldn't say I'm an expert at the cap game; you will have to educate me here as to how the Texans have been in a bind.

I'm by no means a cap guy and to my naked eye it looks like you've done some homework. That said, if this is the case how are the Texans going to sign #99? The owner and the GM are on record saying locking up JJ like forever, is the priority.

Is he going to be the only player on the team?

You missed the analogy, evidently.

In regards to the Texans, they are getting themselves on track, imo. They are concentrating on signing their star talent for the future and drafting wisely enough to allow a lot of the overpaid talent form three years ago to go by the wayside. I seriously doubt that Manning and Joseph will be on the team next year or in two years at the most. There are a number of players who could be gone and we see the team getting ready for them to be gone. Wade Smith, Myers, Antonio Smith, Owen Daniels all could be gone after this season. We see the players projected to replace them learning those positions right now.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert at the cap game; you will have to educate me here as to how the Texans have been in a bind.

When you convert $8 mil of today's salary to a signing bonus you pay the player the money up front, in full and then spread the $8 mil over the future years of contact (max 5 years). If you start each new year with little or no salary cap room (< than $10 mil and part because some the reason is restructured money) and let's say you have 18 free agents to replace and big star salary to renew, < $10 mil doesn't go very far when you've to replace a bunch of FA and renew a big contract. You usually end up with a bunch of scraps for depth. Puts you in a Bind, particularly with any key injuries.

I'm by no means a cap guy and to my naked eye it looks like you've done some homework. That said, if this is the case how are the Texans going to sign #99? The owner and the GM are on record saying locking up JJ like forever, is the priority.

Is he going to be the only player on the team?

Good Question. If I am JJ's agent I'm asking/wanting a $100 mil+/$20 mil a yr contract. (You also have to sign Cush next yr). So if you pay JJ & Schuab $20 mil a piece (2 players =35% of cap) that will leave you $45 mil to sign 24 D players and $45 mil to sign 24 O players. It's actually much worse than that when you take in to account AJ, Foster, Brown & Joseph's salaries. Can't win that kind of payroll. Better off trying to get 3 first rds + for JJ.

My guess is OD, Antonio and Myers are gone after this season. If Schaub even slightly falters this year he is done but will be gone after next season either way. And even though we wont want to say it but Dre will be asked to restructure lower or be released.

Watt isn't going anywhere.

My guess is OD, Antonio and Myers are gone after this season. If Schaub even slightly falters this year he is done but will be gone after next season either way. And even though we wont want to say it but Dre will be asked to restructure lower or be released.

:goodpost:

Yup they have done a nice job moving forward
GG - basically an OD clone
Crick - will fill in for Ninja after another year under his belt
Ben Jones - replaces Chris Meyers, and have DQ start at LG next season

Can't win that kind of payroll. Better off trying to get 3 first rds + for JJ.

There you were cobbling together an impressive sounding analysis and then you threw a landmine in front of yourself.

By the way, Schaub's cap hit in 2014 is $14.5 mil and he won't have a $20 mil cap hit even in the last year.

The Texans cut or got rid of Winston, D Ryans, Brisiel, Dreessen, etc... And what happened next? Texans won the division.

Might be the worst sentence ever written on this forum.

Texian is a very radical thinker. He thought we had the ability to trade up to draft RGIII and that we should've traded Andre as well before that draft. He does know football, but he'll throw some crazy stuff out there from time to time.

Who did the Texans restructure in the recent years that you are referring to? Antonio Smith (2011) and Andre Johnson (2011, 2012)? Show me how you got to $12 - $15m in restructured contracts and that you aren't just throwing numbers around.

For the record eric winston is better than newton hands down:smiliedance:

As someone who scrutinized the heck out of Winston before he was cut...I agree with the statement above. Winston's pass blocking was even better than Newton's and that's not saying a lot

But the Patriots have been restructuring or extending contracts all the time.
I know for sure that they extended Mankins in 2011, restructured Brady and Ocho Cinco's contract in 2012, and extended Brady this off-season.

They were also in talk in Lloyd to restructure his contract, but talk broke down.

Brady's extension frees up $8M for them.
It was supposed to allow the Pats to resign Welker.
For some reason, Welker decided to sign with the Broncos for cheap at $12M over 2 years.
At the NFL meeting, Kraft insisted that the Pats had a better offer.

The Pats settled for Amendola; they also let guys like Kyle Love, Patrick Chung, Donald Thomas and Woodhead go.
If they had kept all of these guys, the cap space that their contracts require over their replacements would have wiped out the Pats even with Brady's extension.

So, if saying that managing the cap can be done easily by just letting good players walk, then the Pats have been doing a wonderful job, just like any other team in the NFL.

The Texans in 2013 are only utilizing about 85-88% of the actual fully allotted salary cap because they've restructured so many contracts in recent years past. (mortgaged the future) The other 12-15% has been borrowed from future years.

Would you happen to know the number for the other NFL teams? Preferably the Patriots & Steelers since many think that is the definition of long term cap management.

But I'd also wonder what the number is for the Ravens (who damn near dumped their whole team), the Packers, & the 49ers.

I agree with the statement above. Winston's pass blocking was even better than Newton's and that's not saying a lot

Not.

Right now & since Newton has come back from his bum knee his pass blocking has been on par with Eric Winston. That sack he gave up to Cameron Wake, no doubt in my mind Eric Winston would have gave up that one & more to Cameron Wake.

No doubt in my mind.

Would you happen to know the number for the other NFL teams? Preferably the Patriots & Steelers since many think that is the definition of long term cap management.

But I'd also wonder what the number is for the Ravens (who damn near dumped their whole team), the Packers, & the 49ers.

From what I think I understand, there's really not that much for any team that want to compete. The top players will demand a certain salary mostly based on market prices.

The one way that a team can do better is to constantly hit in the draft and to get lucky with the UDFAs.

Big Ben has restructured each of the last three years.
Flacco's new contract is structured so that this year, the cap hit is low, but it will accelerate.
Guys like Kaepernick and Wilson, when their time come, surely will demand a good chunk of money.

There can certainly be bad cap management, but IMO, there's not necessarily great cap management. It has to do more with coaching and scouting.
Good coaches and a good scouting department will make the guys that manage the cap look real smart.

The Texans in 2013 are only utilizing about 85-88% of the actual fully allotted salary cap because they've restructured so many contracts in recent years past. (mortgaged the future) The other 12-15% has been borrowed from future years. This is a big reason why the Texans depth is so thin because all they can afford is minimums, vet minimums or maybe a tad more.

I do not agree that the Texans depth is any thinner than other teams. No team has an all pro starting 22 with 22 starter caliber backups in today's NFL.

I do not agree that the Texans depth is any thinner than other teams. No team has an all pro starting 22 with 22 starter caliber backups in today's NFL.

When you look at the Patriots depth chart, especially on defense, I don't think you even want more than two or three of them to be a backup for the Texans.

Absolutely not surprising, but better than putting him on reserve PUP.
Tania Ganguli &#8207;@taniaganguli 30 Aug

Ed Reed is coming off PUP. Kubiak said he'll make a decision about whether Reed will play early next week. #Texans

Tania Ganguli &#8207;@taniaganguli 30 Aug

Ed Reed is coming off PUP. Kubiak said he'll make a decision about whether Reed will play early next week. #Texans

Been saying it since he signed: this is Ed being Ed. Its his thing and he did it almost every year in Baltimore.

Do you really believe that means anything, and that he would have been put on the regular season PUP for ANY reason? Steroid injections so soon after a hip labrum tear surgery carries a bad connotation, either continued significant inflammation or arthritis in the hip (both associated with acute degeneration of soft and/or hard tissues). And the injections, although they mask pain..........they heal nothing. In fact they are more likely to destroy additional hip tissues (tendons, ligaments and cartilage)........with the player continuing to play without "feeling" the progressing damage until another major injury occurs. It is obvious the the Texans and Reed will hold back nothing to prove that their contract was not a mistake. Ultimately, we'll only see how it plays out after looking back over the entire course of the season.

Do you really believe that means anything, and that he would have been put on the regular season PUP for ANY reason? Steroid injections so soon after a hip labrum tear surgery carries a bad connotation, either continued significant inflammation or arthritis in the hip (both associated with acute degeneration of soft and/or hard tissues). And the injections, although they mask pain..........they heal nothing. In fact they are more likely to destroy additional hip tissues (tendons, ligaments and cartilage)........with the player continuing to play without "feeling" the progressing damage until another major injury occurs. It is obvious the the Texans and Reed will hold back nothing to prove that their contract was not a mistake. Ultimately, we'll only see how it plays out after looking back over the entire course of the season.

Ed always had a procedure after the season ends, like clockwork. Im not trying to discrediting anything you are saying but he has a long history of the same instances. He has an offseason regime and takes really great care of himself.

The poor guy is 137 years old and hates pre-season.

Ed always had a procedure after the season ends, like clockwork. Im not trying to discrediting anything you are saying but he has a long history of the same instances. He has an offseason regime and takes really great care of himself.

The poor guy is 137 years old and hates pre-season.

I didn't in any way take your remarks as trying to discredit my statements. And I understand what you are saying. Known history is what people will tend to fall back on. However, just like the Black Night, at one point in time, you lose too many parts, or the parts you still have wear out and are in dire need of replacement.

Back