Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand not knowing the illegal Instagram activity and understand your point. My point is they are running a billion dollar corporation and to their knowledge, one of their most valuable assets is running around like a horny dog humping air. Did they have something similar to the rookie symposium as a refresher for him or even the entire team? Is this Instagram whoring part of the NFL players' culture? Did they bring in someone like a John Lucas or Calvin Hill? Wasn't Easterby suppose to be that guy?

Instead of the knee jerk trade of Hopkins, did they bring both men into a meeting with the character coach as a mediator and reiterate the responsibilities that goes into being the face of the franchise and the potential for the lack of discretion to ruin their brand? Hell, if all of the moms are involved, why not bring in Hopkins' mom and start an intervention with their sons? Even if they still went ahead and traded Hopkins, they should have made Watson aware of the role his behavior played in the trade. Did they do that?

At the end of the day, Watson is a grown man, this mess is his fault and he has to take full responsibility for it. But based on your posts, it seems instead of the Texans addressing the issue head-on, they attempted to sweep it under the rug by trading Hopkins and not holding Watson accountable for his part in the trade or the potential ramifications and unexpected consequences of his legal IG whoring. If they tackled the problem head-on and inform him that this is not "Texans worthy" and unacceptable behavior for the face of their franchise and he gets offended, you trade his ass and whisper to Albert Breer about his IG whoring. Would they be in a worst position than they are today?

So, my point isn't that they knew or should have known about the illegal activities. It's the lack of organizational judgement, leadership and the amateurish way they tried to address this Watson issue. Especially when it appears that trading Hopkins did not fix the issue and might have made it worst. Then they reward Watson with a huge contract and a no-trade clause? It just seems that the McNairs having a known womanizer as the face of their franchise and giving him a huge contract and NTC goes against the perception of them wanting choir boys only.

The fact is what Watson was supposedly with multiple women were things that are commonplace in professional sports. These are 20something's with money and fame. What do you expect ?
The league puts them thru a class at the rookie symposium on the subject of protecting themselves from acquiring baby momma's and things of that nature.

Expecting the Texans to be proactive about something that isn't outside of the norm is kinda silly IMO.

It was Momma Watson who had the problem with it .... going to Janice. If they don't accommodate Momma Watson , they may not get the extension done at all and end up forced to tag or trade him and at the time - before these charges and trade demands , the world would have beaten the Texans to death for letting that happen.
Trading one of the perceived best QB's in the game for IG whoring is just plain dumb.

The real problem comes when we find out he wasn't just screwing a bunch of Instagram groupies but crossing the line into illegal acts.

It seems to me people are just looking for a reason to blame the team ....

The fact is what Watson was supposedly with multiple women were things that are commonplace in professional sports. These are 20something's with money and fame. What do you expect ?
The league puts them thru a class at the rookie symposium on the subject of protecting themselves from acquiring baby momma's and things of that nature.

Expecting the Texans to be proactive about something that isn't outside of the norm is kinda silly IMO.

It was Momma Watson who had the problem with it .... going to Janice. If they don't accommodate Momma Watson , they may not get the extension done at all and end up forced to tag or trade him and at the time - before these charges and trade demands , the world would have beaten the Texans to death for letting that happen.
Trading one of the perceived best QB's in the game for IG whoring is just plain dumb.

The real problem comes when we find out he wasn't just screwing a bunch of Instagram groupies but crossing the line into illegal acts.

If that is what you think I'm implying, you are wrong. For me, it's not about blaming the team. It's about what they did to protect themselves before giving him that record setting contract with a NTC.

If the Texans are making trade decisions based on the concerns of a player's mother, isn't that already operating outside of the norm? How many teams are trading away HOF level players because of a mother's concerns or problems? That is what you should find silly, stupid and just plain dumb.

You can't have it both ways by saying the Texans accommodated Momma Watson and then saying it's outside of the norm for the team to go the extra mile in protecting themselves before handing out the largest contract in team history. In fact, from Easterby's VP promotion to O'Brien's GM promotion to the reasons for the Hopkins' trade, the Texans have been operating outside of the norm. But when it comes to having a refresher course or a character coach that's more interested in the T-E-A-M than self-promotion, it's outside of the norm to you? That's some Texans' worthy PR and BS.

Last edited:
If that is what you think I'm implying, you are wrong. For me, it's not about blaming the team. It's about what they did to protect themselves before giving him that record setting contract with a NTC.

There was no indication that they needed to protect themselves from that contract until after they had given him the contract. By the time there was any clue that there were problems , the ink was dry.

Every team in the league would have made that decision.

Every time a team gives a player a contract like that they are gambling that he won't end up in legal trouble - Watson is the exception not the rule.

No player has ever demanded a trade after signing a contract like that much less in the same calendar year.

This is all unprecedented

If the Texans are making trade decisions based on the concerns of a player's mother, isn't that already operating outside of the norm? How many teams are trading away HOF level players because of a mother's concerns or problems? That is what you should find silly, stupid and just plain dumb.

You can't have it both ways by saying the Texans accommodated Momma Watson and then saying it's outside of the norm for the team to go the extra mile in protecting themselves before handing out the largest contract in team history. In fact, from Easterby's VP promotion to O'Brien's GM promotion to the reasons for the Hopkins' trade, the Texans have been operating outside of the norm. But when it comes to having a refresher course or a character coach that's more interested in the T-E-A-M than self-promotion, it's outside of the norm to you? That's some Texans' worthy PR and BS.

Regardless of what we think of Momma Watson's involvement or influence , the bottom line is that if you have a franchise QB , you do what you have to do to keep that guy.
If it comes down to accommodating a franchise QB Vs any other position , teams are gonna do what has to be done. HoF WR or not. He can't chuck the ball to himself.
Without that trade , its quite possible that Watson , his momma and agent refuse to ink an extension at all. Now what ?
You still have DHop but are back on the QB carousel .... wonderful.

No matter how silly / out of the norm it sounds on the surface that - we're accommodating Momma Watson. If she is part of his decision making process , and obviously she was .... You have to take that into account. That's reality.

The real issue here wasn't that DHop was traded , it was that the return was completely and totally inadequate. They come away with a better return on the asset that changes the perception.

There was no indication that they needed to protect themselves from that contract until after they had given him the contract. By the time there was any clue that there were problems , the ink was dry.

Every time a team gives a player a contract like that they are gambling that he won't end up in legal trouble - Watson is the exception not the rule.

No player has ever demanded a trade after signing a contract like that much less in the same calendar year.

Regardless of what we think of Momma Watson's involvement or influence , the bottom line is that if you have a franchise QB , you do what you have to do to keep that guy.
If it comes down to accommodating a franchise QB Vs any other position , teams are gonna do what has to be done. HoF WR or not. He can't chuck the ball to himself.
Without that trade , its quite possible that Watson , his momma and agent refuse to ink an extension at all. Now what ?

No matter how silly / out of the norm it sounds on the surface that - we're accommodating Momma Watson. If she is part of his decision making process , and obviously she was .... You have to take that into account. That's reality.

The real issue here wasn't that DHop was traded , it was that the return was completely and totally inadequate. They come away with a better return on the asset that changes the perception.
Momma Watson only had the leverage Texans ownership gave her. They could of/should of handled that situation very differently. They didn't have to straight out tell her to "go pound sand", there's diplomatic ways to say that but that's the message.

I know there were other things going on with Hopkins. He wasn't practicing and maybe that was an excuse to basically get rid of him. But that guy was too good to let an interfering mother dictate his departure. Even if you coupled that with him being a prima Donna. We ThOUghT It wAs in tHE BeST InTERst of The tEAm...T.E.A.M. Culture change and all. B.S.

And you already mentioned the other part of it, which was the laughable return they received for trading him.

Ownership is an absolute joke, and I know you disagree with that but I don't care. Cal standing at the podium after hiring Caserio and saying "we're not Patriots South" was the biggest joke of all. Cal and his momma don't know how to build a team so they just try to imitate. They have no vision.

Maybe the Texans will be good again some day, I don't know. But it will be in spite of ownership, not because of it. And I honestly don't think they'll wind up with much, if anything for Watson. I think we're looking at a Mike Vick type of situation.

Just think if we had gotten the Cardinals 1.8 that draft we could have had right tackle Tristan Wirfs or Dallas Cowboys Ceedee lamb or wide receiver Jerry Jeudy. Sigh

Depends on what you thought of Derrick before the Hopkins trade.

Me, I would'e traded his azz and drafted Herbert. I said as much at the time.

Did anyone read Florio's latest report rumour?

"A week ago, the Texans and Dolphins were closing in on a deal for quarterback Deshaun Watson. Per multiple sources, the Dolphins wanted Watson to settle the 22 civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions. Per multiple sources, once the Texans caught wind of the growing possibility that the 22 civil lawsuits would be settled, their price for Watson went up."

Dolphins deal for Deshaun Watson bogged down when Texans raised price - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Last edited:
Did anyone read Florio's latest report rumour?

"A week ago, the Texans and Dolphins were closing in on a deal for quarterback Deshaun Watson. Per multiple sources, the Dolphins wanted Watson to settle the 22 civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions. Per multiple sources, once the Texans caught wind of the growing possibility that the 22 civil lawsuits would be settled, their price for Watson went up."

Dolphins deal for Deshaun Watson bogged down when Texans raised price - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)
There have been several articles.........all based on Florio's story line. You will notice that none of the articles including Florio's specify what the "up price" actually was............that's because the information is made up/fabricated.

UPDATED:
20 MINUTES AGO
ORIGINAL:
56 MINUTES AGO
Report: Dolphins Deal For Deshaun Watson Fizzled When Houston Raised Asking Price
According to Mike Florio a deal made for Deshaun Watson fell through due to the asking price going up.

I dunno is February when we can be seriously hopeful that Watson might be deposed by the GJ and we might get some real progress on this situation ?
I'm under the impression, and I could be wrong, that the February deposition is for the civil cases. Mention of Watson's depo was always mentioned in the context that the women's depo's were already underway or, in some cases, completed.

1. Why would you hire a placeholder?
2. What has the roster makeup accomplished?

In my opinion, they think the team is desperate when there isn't anything that says they have to trade him. A team like the Miami wants him for next year more than likely because they're done this season. A couple of more teams Cleveland and Giants are at a crossroads with their qbs. Giants and Cleveland have enough talent to more than compete with a Watson type qb. Denver has a pretty good roster also. Then you throw in a team like NO and Payton who can get back in the mix with that defense and Kamara. Thats why I think they should wait until next year when you can get 4 1st rd picks and the competition for him. Especially with the qb crop coming up this year.
I would think that the Eagles would like the opportunity to persuade Watson to go to Philly. I think they could give up their three round ones this next draft and the one in 2023. Personally I would settle for 3 round ones this year.

I would think that the Eagles would like the opportunity to persuade Watson to go to Philly. I think they could give up their three round ones this next draft and the one in 2023. Personally I would settle for 3 round ones this year.
After being in a bad organization from the tippity top as Whitney stated, why go to another in Philly or Washington?

Broncos trade Miller for a 2 and a 3, and clearing cap space. Bridgewater and Lock are not their long term QB. Are they posturing to make a run for Watson?
Conflicting reports on the picks for Von Miller................by same source, Schefter...........

The Rams will send to the Broncos a second-round pick and third-round pick in the 2022 NFL draft in exchange for Miller, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Link

Settle?

LMAO

Settle?

LMAO

I don't know. Which is better? Three firsts in the same draft or three firsts spread over a few drafts? That's expecting at least 4 rookies to contribute right away if you count the pick they already have. Taking all three in the same draft instead of setting yourself up for multiple first round picks in successive drafts would be a settle. One I could live with for the record. Just saying ideally for the long term success of the team I'd rather have an extra first round pick in at least two if not three drafts. As long as we are wishing...

I don't know. Which is better? Three firsts in the same draft or three firsts spread over a few drafts? That's expecting at least 4 rookies to contribute right away if you count the pick they already have. Taking all three in the same draft instead of setting yourself up for multiple first round picks in successive drafts would be a settle. One I could live with for the record. Just saying ideally for the long term success of the team I'd rather have an extra first round pick in at least two if not three drafts. As long as we are wishing...

There is a reason picks in the current year are worth more than in later years. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush… no guarantee that the HC/GM will be around to use those picks in later years so yes they absolutely would prefer to get all their picks in the same draft. They can always use one or two to maneuver around for more picks but they would rather have the picks available sooner than later.

They’ve been doing wild stuff way before Hopkins got there. That stuff is all over the league. Shoots these players been getting in way back in college. The true reason why they got rid of Hopkins because him and O’Brien got into it after the Chiefs game. He said he forced his way out of here. The man was livid with O’Brien because of his play calling after being up 24 against the Chiefs.

I'm not sure how much I can buy this when Watson signed a $111 million guaranteed contract later that year. He loved Bill O'Brien, who appeared to look the other way about his private life transgressions.

Agreed.

Peyton Manning tea-bagged some chick when he was playing for the Vols…allegedly.

They play a child’s game and a lot of them take a long time to grow up, if they ever do.

Football was never a child's game. Study the history of the sport. It was almost outlawed by U.S. Congress in 1908 because 19 people had died playing it. President Teddy Roosevelt had to get involved because he loved the game and saved the sport by starting to implement rules for safety.

Football has always been a man's game. Now baseball, basketball, and soccer, on the other hand. . .kid's games. :thinking:

Each franchise is a multi-billion dollar company, and almost every one of them hires handlers and private investigators to protect their assets.

That the Texans appear to be caught unaware after a player's mom gets involved with gossiping to an owner just reveals the bush league nature of this franchise. They are run by morons. Nice, very nice morons, of course, but morons just the same. They don't know what they are doing and that is clear to everyone.

Was the Easterby hire part of their amateur clean up operation? What a clown show this franchise has devolved into. :clown:

I'm not sure how much I can buy this when Watson signed a $111 million guaranteed contract later that year. He loved Bill O'Brien, who appeared to look the other way about his private life transgressions.

Football was never a child's game. Study the history of the sport. It was almost outlawed by U.S. Congress in 1908 because 19 people had died playing it. President Teddy Roosevelt had to get involved because he loved the game and saved the sport by starting to implement rules for safety.

Football has always been a man's game. Now baseball, basketball, and soccer, on the other hand. . .kid's games. :thinking:
But they “play” a “game”.

I'm with you on this because

1. You dont want 4 rookie deals coming due at the same time. You wont be able to re-sign all of those picks to a 2nd contract if all of them are successful.

2. Some drafts are better than others and this gives you a chance to spread the risk out and also gives you the ability to trade around and add even more talent than just the three 1sts.

3. Also if say you really like next yrs QB class you can use those future picks to trade up and get your guy.

I honestly don't think it would have made a difference. They drafted two tackles in the Top 60 & put them both at Guard.
Both were tried at OT
After being in a bad organization from the tippity top as Whitney stated, why go to another in Philly or Washington?
I think that in Philadelphia Watson could bring in at least the head coach that he wants and quite possibly play a significant role in choosing a general manager.

Each franchise is a multi-billion dollar company, and almost every one of them hires handlers and private investigators to protect their assets.

That the Texans appear to be caught unaware after a player's mom gets involved with gossiping to an owner just reveals the bush league nature of this franchise. They are run by morons. Nice, very nice morons, of course, but morons just the same. They don't know what they are doing and that is clear to everyone.

Was the Easterby hire part of their amateur clean up operation? What a clown show this franchise has devolved into. :clown:

So your position is that the McNairs and the FO should have known that Watson was sexually assaulting women?

So your position is that the McNairs and the FO should have known that Watson was sexually assaulting women?
I think the FO thought he was going on the cel, so they wouldn't have to do anything. Once it became clear he wasn't going, they didn't pivot or have a plan b.

NFL ain’t allowing a trade to be made. Probably why DW hasn’t weighed in on any of these rumors. But they do give these pundits face time.

Good post. Also, once you initiate a trade to accommodate a player's mother, what's next? Let them think they can pick GMs and HCs? :shades:

I think that in Philadelphia Watson could bring in at least the head coach that he wants and quite possibly play a significant role in choosing a general manager.
Watson doesn't appear to handle criticism/negative press. No way he exposes himself to the brutality of the Philly fan base and media. Any performance short of perfiect and he will be destroyed. Poor performances will be met with tar, feathering and quartering. Then there's the Dolphins' soft and cushy fan base and media that lick the rear ends of anyone willing to call Miami home. If Watson waived his no trade clause to Philly which he wouldn't, he would probably require in his contract that the city re-instate and expand the intra-stadium court and jail to house all those critical of his play and/or lifestyle.

Watson doesn't appear to handle criticism/negative press. No way he exposes himself to the brutality of the Philly fan base and media. Any performance short of perfiect and he will be destroyed. Poor performances will be met with tar, feathering and quartering. Then there's the Dolphins' soft and cushy fan base and media that lick the rear ends of anyone willing to call Miami home. If Watson waived his no trade clause to Philly which he wouldn't, he would probably require in his contract that the city re-instate and expand the intra-stadium court and jail to house all those critical of his play and/or lifestyle.
I do agree that Miami is vastly Superior for Watson. However looking at the remainder of this schedule I think he could go 8 and 1 and put them in the playoffs.

He would be a hero and probably get a parade for the team. It was not free of criticism with his years in Houston. I think it would help if DW did assist in bringing in new GM and HC.

Any thoughts on why Hurts isn't seeing tar, feathers and quartering?

He's pretty much right , they had been doing their thing for years and that's very common around the league , but like I said , there was nothing wrong with what he / they were perceived to be doing.
OB didn't so much as look the other way ..... its just none of his business who they are screwing - until it affects the team and it doesn't until / unless it ventures into illegal territory.

There was only one person who took issue with what they were doing and that's the person who placed the call to Janice - Momma Watson and again , she factored into the extension process.

Really this is a case of damned if you do , damned if you don't.

Personally, RD1 picks are RD1 picks regardless of which draft they wind up in. Unfortunately for the Texans....OB isn't the GM for the teams that might be interested in Watson. Watson is a tricky issue b/c there's knowledge that the "unknown" exist in this deal and GM's are not going to eat all the risk in trading for Watson. I believe the Texans fully understand that if they're going to trade Watson before his legal mess is cleared up those much desired RD1 and RD2 picks will be spread out over 2-3 drafts.

If the NFL is waiting on the results of law enforcement investigations before they sanction DW how could they possibly approve any trade when all elements aren’t on the table? With this unprecedented situation why would they allow the tail to wag the dog?

If the NFL is waiting on the results of law enforcement investigations before they sanction DW how could they possibly approve any trade when all elements aren’t on the table? With this unprecedented situation why would they allow the tail to wag the dog?

At the moment and under laws that govern this country, Watson is innocent until proven guilty. Now, if the hands of the law are working extremely slow then it's not the job of the NFL to become judge, jury, and executioner. Texans would have legal grounds to suit Watson up and trot his arse onto the field of play if he were willing to play for them.....he isn't. So at this juncture the Texans are well within their rights to try and find a trade partner for Watson if there was one willing to roll the dice knowing his legal situation and pay the asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back