Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Browns GM refused to trade for a decent BU QB Brissett because it would have cost a day 2 pick. With the all the questions surrounding Watson, Brissett could have been a good BU as he filled in quite commendably last year. Fortunately, the Browns are the Browns.

Watson is unlikely to play against the lifeless Arizona Cardinals this Sunday. I am hearing that the Browns are shooting for Watson to return week 10 against the Ravens who lead the league in sacks with 31. I would not be surprised if during that game, the Ravens provide Watson with another extended "vacation."
Watson had a very light "partial participation." The nature of this injury is such that if Watson doesn't have 3 full participation practices, he should not be playing Sunday. Maybe "someone" believes that the Cardinals are so weak that putting out a cripple who essentially only hands off can still get credit for a "Watson-redeeming" win. Stupid, but we are talking about Watson and the Browns. If he goes into passing mode even on a very limited basis, his risk for extended injury is there. If he waits for the Ravens, he should probably not only wear his shoulder brace, but also consider wearing a diaper.

Watson again had a "limited participation" practice today. Tomorrow is essentially a walk-through. Saturday needs to be a rest day for his shoulder before a Sunday game. Cabot reported that he had more "zip" on the ball today. I watched several clips of those passes supposedly with "zip".........I hope he does try to play. If he tries to play after his limited practice experience this week, he not only won't be won't be prepared.............but also his shoulder will not be properly prepared to take playing in a real game. Go for it!

Reactions: JB
Appreciate you keeping us up to date on this fine player. I mean, I'm a fan, but I just don't have the time to get all up in it like you. Almost like I'm reading his diary.

Terry Pluto, like Mary Cabot, is a Watson/Browns apologist. His explanation/excuse of "medically cleared" on its surface is lame. When a player is medically cleared, he is not cleared to engage in knitting............he is cleared to play football..........the "normal" activity for a football player.

For example, when a football player is cleared after a knee injury, he is seldom fully healed when he returns to play.............that could take a full season or maybe never.

#8 below (bolded) is why after only 2 limited practices and only 1 "full" practice which showed him essentially leisurely playing pitch and catch with no complicated, unusual, pressured or awkwardly positioned throws.................he has not game-tested his shoulder.

What’s up with Deshaun Watson’s shoulder? What are the Browns’ QB plans? – Terry Pluto
  • Updated: Nov. 04, 2023, 5:25 a.m.|
  • Published: Nov. 04, 2023, 5:02 a.m.
    By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com

ABOUT DESHAUN WATSON & HIS SHOULDER

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Deshaun Watson is ready to play Sunday against the Cardinals.

No, he’s not …

Yes he is … maybe.

I talked to some NFL sources about the Watson situation, looking for some answers as he prepares to start Sunday’s game vs. Arizona.

Here’s what I heard, starting with what happens after a player is injured.

1. “Medical Clearance”: Remember coach Kevin Stefanski confirming Watson was “medically cleared to play”? That was true. The problem is “medical clearance” means the shoulder does not become worse under “normal” wear and tear. In other words, he was cleared for “normal” activity.

2. As my source said, NFL people should never use the “medically cleared” phrase with the media to describe a player’s condition. There is nothing “normal” about playing in the NFL.

3. In Watson’s case, his rotator cuff had healed enough from the “micro tears” for “normal” activity – not necessarily to play QB in the NFL.

4. “Performance Clearance”: This means the shoulder is healed to the point where Watson could “perform” in the NFL. Remember when Watson said he wanted to play vs. Baltimore? He insisted his shoulder was healing quickly. But when he threw on the sidelines 2½ hours before the Ravens game, GM Andrew Berry and Stefanski saw Watson lacked arm strength. He was pulled from the lineup.

5. Yes, Watson was “medically cleared.” But not cleared for performance. The Browns would have been better off saying, “His shoulder is injured. We’ll let you know when he’s ready to play.” Then not go into details about the injury.

6. Watson has had knee surgery before and some other injuries, but never an injury to his throwing arm. This naturally alarmed him, especially when he saw the lack of arm strength immediately after hurting the rotator cuff.

7. The Watson camp was giving information to their media friends trying to protect their player, especially when there was speculation that he didn’t want to play. That was false. He did want to play. The problem was the injury was hindering him throwing the football. It also is a “repetitive” motion … throwing the ball over and over. This puts extra strain on the rotator cuff.

8. Watson threw reasonably well during the week before the Browns played the Colts. The problem is you can’t simulate actually playing QB in a game. Not only when it comes to hitting, but also scrambling and throwing off-balance. Watson often makes those awkward throws, and they put extra strain on the shoulder. They also highlight the lack of arm strength – which doesn’t show up when a player is just practicing throws in workouts.

9. “The player being comfortable with the volume of work.”: This is the last stage of getting ready to play. Watson thought he was vs. Indianapolis. Turns out, he was not. Some fans argue he wasn’t “hit that hard” when tackled against the Colts – the play that led him to leaving the game. Perhaps that was true. But his lack of arm strength was obvious in his five passes, especially when he was trying to scramble and throw off the run. You can’t replicate game action in practice. He also landed on his shoulder.

10. You can argue the Browns should not have listened to Watson insisting he was ready to play – especially vs. the Colts. All of this does show he wants to play, even if that’s not wise. Now, the Browns and Watson are confident he is ready to play. He practiced all week as if he were preparing to start Sunday. We’ll see what comes next.

a softball game, to help Watson's questionable profile on paper.
There's softball games. and then there's running a rookie QB in his 1st start against the #1 defense in football. I guess Cardinal management felt the team was too competitive with Dobbs, and sent him packing. Kyler Murray eventually returns, but only long enough to increase his trade value.

This game reminds me of the 2022 Texans/Steelers game. Where rookie QB David Carr's job was to to handoff up the middle, and allow the Texans defense to win the game. Which they did with scoring 3 TDs. I can see Watson playing the Carr role on Sunday.

There's softball games. and then there's running a rookie QB in his 1st start against the #1 defense in football. I guess Cardinal management felt the team was too competitive with Dobbs, and sent him packing. Kyler Murray eventually returns, but only long enough to increase his trade value.

This game reminds me of the 2022 Texans/Steelers game. Where rookie QB David Carr's job was to to handoff up the middle, and allow the Texans defense to win the game. Which they did with scoring 3 TDs. I can see Watson playing the Carr role on Sunday.
Watson had a very light "partial participation." The nature of this injury is such that if Watson doesn't have 3 full participation practices, he should not be playing Sunday. Maybe "someone" believes that the Cardinals are so weak that putting out a cripple who essentially only hands off can still get credit for a "Watson-redeeming" win. Stupid, but we are talking about Watson and the Browns. If he goes into passing mode even on a very limited basis, his risk for extended injury is there. If he waits for the Ravens, he should probably not only wear his shoulder brace, but also consider wearing a diaper.

It's official, Watson will not be facing Murray

Deshun Watson will oppose rookie Clayton Tune and not Kyler Murray Sunday vs. the Cardinals

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Deshaun Watson won’t be opposing another multiple-Pro Bowl dual-threat quarterback like himself Sunday against the Cardinals.

Instead of having to outduel Kyler Murray in his second attempt at a comeback from his strained rotator cuff, Watson will go up against Cardinals fifth-round rookie Clayton Tune, who’s making his first NFL start. It would’ve been former Browns quarterback Joshua Dobbs, but the Cardinals traded him to Minnesota on Tuesday.

I'm already looking forward to Watson facing a real team.......the Ravens............dual-threat Jackson, complemented by the QB-deadly Ravens D.

It’s so funny reading this thread and how poor DeShaun Watson is being scapegoated and forced to play through an injury that really should keep him off the field and seeing how he’s being portrayed in the media as if he’s swinging the lead and doesn’t really want to play…until you remember that he leveraged a huge guaranteed contract and none of it really matters to him anyway. It’s the fans of that team that are hurt by it.

Cleveland QBs, though. No matter how they come by them the end result is terrible.

It’s so funny reading this thread and how poor DeShaun Watson is being scapegoated and forced to play through an injury that really should keep him off the field
Wow! You're really strange having pity for a low life like that. DW a scapegoat? Really?

Wow! You're really strange having pity for a low life like that. DW a scapegoat? Really?
Absolutely not, I don’t have any pity whatsoever, just funny seeing it play out and for all his low life behaviour that he ends up in a situation where they are managing him in this way to make up for the awful decision to trade for him.

The truth is that Caserio worked the perfect deal for Watson, 3 first round picks for a player that had flattered to deceive on the field, with an outside shot of being great that those that had watched him closely knew he was likely not to live up to. It is all of his own making, but to see ownership throwing him under the bus for not wanting to play when Doc, who seems to dislike Watson as much as anyone, seems to think the injury is legitimate and he shouldn’t be playing through it.

It is pretty sweet that the scumbag is actually in the right this time and being hard done by.

By the way, my reading of DW4’s whole career trajectory is that he expected to be in a shootout with Pat and Lamar for repeated MVPs and Lombardi trophies when he came into the league but a mixture of work ethic and system meant he couldn’t quite live up to Mahomes’ level while Jackson has had his own issues. When he realised he wasn’t fulfilling that he’s chosen to monetise his career as best he can. He’s done a great job of that and is reaping what he has sowed as a Cleveland QB.

It’s so funny reading this thread and how poor DeShaun Watson is being scapegoated and forced to play through an injury that really should keep him off the field and seeing how he’s being portrayed in the media as if he’s swinging the lead and doesn’t really want to play…until you remember that he leveraged a huge guaranteed contract and none of it really matters to him anyway. It’s the fans of that team that are hurt by it.

Cleveland QBs, though. No matter how they come by them the end result is terrible.
What part of a goat do you think Watson should scrape? I have a few ideas.

Cardinals rookie QB Clayton Tune in his first start, was sacked 6 times, intercepted twice, completing 11 passes for 58 yds.......earning a 20.8 passer rating and a QBR of 1.6 to give the injury-plagued Cardinals their 6th straight loss.
Even if Murray returns and is able to start, can you see NFL team trading for him?
Basically get him for zero base pay this season but 2024 ~ $37 million. Ouch!
He has to light up stats. ACLs scare me even if 100% "healthy".

Obviously, the comment is directed to me. I would suggest that you review my previous comments in context.
I was replying to JB so no it was not a comment directed at you.

I’m very comfortable with my assertion of some of the context that some have been dishing out for over a year or two on Deshaun. Especially yours. You -are- rooting for him to fail. So am I… but please don’t gaslight me into it being something else with your suggestion. I know you’re human but it’s just weird to see a doctor think this way. That’s all.

:)

I’m very comfortable with my assertion of some of the context that some have been dishing out for over a year or two on Deshaun. Especially yours. You -are- rooting for him to fail. So am I… but please don’t gaslight me into it being something else with your suggestion. I know you’re human but it’s just weird to see a doctor think this way. That’s all.

I guess I don't understand. Where have you seen me hope that Watson gets injured?

There's a difference in CnD hoping Derrick fails and a guy like me who hopes he gets his freaking neck broken.

There's a difference in CnD hoping Derrick fails and a guy like me who hopes he gets his freaking neck broken.
I agree… and this is how I felt… until lately. He basically turned into you.

Lol.

I’m kidding. I’m kidding. CnD did ask me for clarification so I will try to get on that this evening.

It’s just not that serious. The guy’s been gone from here for 2 years. Its comical that this thread is still going frankly..its even more comical that there are People in here disguising their motives for keeping the thread alive by citing the Texans’ interest in the Browns failing so that our draft status improves…(Like it’ll be that dramatic of a difference) When it’s really just about them being mad the guy fell forward.

It’s just not that serious. The guy’s been gone from here for 2 years. Its comical that this thread is still going frankly..its even more comical that there are People in here disguising their motives for keeping the thread alive by citing the Texans’ interest in the Browns failing so that our draft status improves…(Like it’ll be that dramatic of a difference) When it’s really just about them being mad the guy fell forward.

At this rate…..there might only be +-2 spots separating these two organizations come the 2024 NFL Draft.

It's comical that dudes are still white knighting for a perv, but whatever floats yer boat, captain.

Some of us really do just about the draft pick. Watching him fail is just a bonus.

It's comical that dudes are still white knighting for a perv, but whatever floats yer boat, captain.

Some of us really do just about the draft pick. Watching him fail is just a bonus.

It’s easy enough to find out what that draft pick will be after the damn season is over. No needs to keep refreshing this thread with injury history of the dude or any other news about what’s going on with him on another damn team every time he or someone speaks or does something.

no one’s “white knighting” for him. Im just tired of seeing the damn thread in the top 5 of threads on the damn message board every time I refresh to see new posts.

And if locking up 230 million guaranteed is “failing”, sign me up please. Be real with yourself & stop trying to gaslight me. Watching him “fail” is the only reason you and probably the other 3/4 of people who participate in this damn thread keep posting in it…

let it die & get over it.

no one’s “white knighting” for him. Im just tired of seeing the damn thread in the top 5 of threads on the damn message board every time I refresh to see new posts.
Sometimes I wish certain threads would not exist. But since they do, I simply ignore them. My psyche is not so fragile and easily rattled by the mere presence of the threads that it affects my experience on TexansTalk.

It’s comical to me that someone would complain about a Watson thread and then post several times in a Bryce Young thread.

Makes total sense.

giphy.gif

Watson may be on the move a lot Sunday, as the Browns have injury concerns at offensive tackle. They lost left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. last week, were already without starting right tackle Jack Conklin, and his right tackle replacement, Dawand Jones, is dealing with knee/shoulder injuries. Baltimore leads the league in sacks (35) and the Browns have given up the league's ninth-most sacks (24).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back