Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cherry-picked Highlights..............all with no rush. Pretty hard for a QB not to look good.

No disrespect intended. But, this is a video from the Cleveland Browns on Cleveland.com. Isn't this a typical video from every NFL team's PR department? Go on the Texans' or any other team's website and look at the camp highlights. It's the same fluff. No pads or contact. Exactly what highlights were we expecting?

No disrespect intended. But, this is a video from the Cleveland Browns on Cleveland.com. Isn't this a typical video from every NFL team's PR department? Go on the Texans' or any other team's website and look at the camp highlights. It's the same fluff. No pads or contact. Exactly what highlights were we expecting?
You remember building the Texans last season with David Culley? That ish was hillarious

No argument there. But have you seen the clevelland media hype about how it illustrates Watson's exceptional skills?

Have you been to the Davis Mills Thread?

I can only imagine what the Commanders are posting about Carson Wentz.
Cleveland media has produced continuous highlights with over-the-top concentration on Watson, essentially window dressing. This is in contrast to the Houston media which have produced very limited higlights of Mills in action. Mills will prove or disprove his talent on the field this season based on what he himself earns, while Watson has already been annointed [no, I won't use an old title he was given by some here in the past] "Prince of Haslam." Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, both QBs will now be starting from scratch. The past will be not be a future prediction of how they perform for their designated team. Mills, the Texans, and reasonable fans will be very happy with indesputable significant improvement. Watson has been built up to a point that short of a SB run [or next year, if he doesn't play this year,] his season would have to be considered a failure. I know where I am definitely not putting my money.

Reporting from the non Cleveland media. If the Cleveland friendly fan base has honestly given Watson a tepid reception, what would you expect when Watson faces opposing fan bases?

***********************************************************************************************************

Deshaun Watson gets muted reaction at Browns' open practice
Posted July 30, 2022 6:09 p.m. EDT
By BRIAN DULIK, Associated Press

BEREA, OHIO — Deshaun Watson sprinted onto the field to a light round of cheers Saturday at the Cleveland Browns' first open practice of training camp.
The noticeably muted reaction reflected the uncertainty surrounding Cleveland’s controversial new quarterback.

Watson was the focal point as the Browns worked out in front of a near-capacity crowd at their suburban headquarters. He briefly waved while running to the middle of the practice fields, but did not speak with the media.
The 26-year-old quarterback is awaiting a decision from retired judge Sue L. Robinson. She's determining if Watson violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy after being accused of sexual misconduct by 24 massage therapists. A lengthy suspension is possible.

“I can’t wait for us to get to play together, whichever week we see him,” Cleveland tight end David Njoku said. “Hopefully, it’s sooner than later. I’m excited. I can’t wait.
“But it’s not hard, we just have to take each day as it is. Whoever we have, we have to put our best foot forward and just keep working.”

Watson, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, signed a five-year, $230 million contract with the Browns after being acquired from Houston in exchange for three first-round draft picks in March. He was a member of the Texans during all of the alleged incidents.

Two separate Texas grand juries declined to indict Watson on any of the criminal complaints. He has settled 20 of the 24 civil lawsuits filed against him, and the attorney representing the women has said he hopes to take the other four to trial next spring.

There were no boos directed toward Watson at practice, but All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett and standout running back Nick Chubb were welcomed onto the field with much louder, prolonged ovations.
“You can tell by the turnout that people want to go all-out for the Browns, but I think fans are being cautious,” said Hans Schneider, a 21-year season ticket holder and mayor of Wellington, Ohio. “Once a decision is made with Deshaun, there will be clarity.

“I’m very respectful of both sides, but regardless of the decision, some people will be happy and some will be unhappy about it.”

Cleveland media has produced continuous highlights with over-the-top concentration on Watson, essentially window dressing. This is in contrast to the Houston media which have produced very limited higlights of Mills in action. Mills will prove or disprove his talent on the field this season based on what he himself earns, while Watson has already been annointed [no, I won't use an old title he was given by some here in the past] "Prince of Haslam." Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, both QBs will now be starting from scratch. The past will be not be a future prediction of how they perform for their designated team. Mills, the Texans, and reasonable fans will be very happy with indesputable significant improvement. Watson has been built up to a point that short of a SB run [or next year, if he doesn't play this year,] his season would have to be considered a failure. I know where I am definitely not putting my money.

JIC

Don't worry for some it will always be somebody elses fault when he fails.

Why would some people be unhappy if he's suspended until all cases both current and in the future are settled? Where have we gotten as a society?

Reporting from the non Cleveland media. If the Cleveland friendly fan base has honestly given Watson a tepid reception, what would you expect when Watson faces opposing fan bases?

***********************************************************************************************************

Deshaun Watson gets muted reaction at Browns' open practice
Posted July 30, 2022 6:09 p.m. EDT
By BRIAN DULIK, Associated Press

BEREA, OHIO — Deshaun Watson sprinted onto the field to a light round of cheers Saturday at the Cleveland Browns' first open practice of training camp.
The noticeably muted reaction reflected the uncertainty surrounding Cleveland’s controversial new quarterback.

Watson was the focal point as the Browns worked out in front of a near-capacity crowd at their suburban headquarters. He briefly waved while running to the middle of the practice fields, but did not speak with the media.
The 26-year-old quarterback is awaiting a decision from retired judge Sue L. Robinson. She's determining if Watson violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy after being accused of sexual misconduct by 24 massage therapists. A lengthy suspension is possible.

“I can’t wait for us to get to play together, whichever week we see him,” Cleveland tight end David Njoku said. “Hopefully, it’s sooner than later. I’m excited. I can’t wait.
“But it’s not hard, we just have to take each day as it is. Whoever we have, we have to put our best foot forward and just keep working.”

Watson, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, signed a five-year, $230 million contract with the Browns after being acquired from Houston in exchange for three first-round draft picks in March. He was a member of the Texans during all of the alleged incidents.

Two separate Texas grand juries declined to indict Watson on any of the criminal complaints. He has settled 20 of the 24 civil lawsuits filed against him, and the attorney representing the women has said he hopes to take the other four to trial next spring.

There were no boos directed toward Watson at practice, but All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett and standout running back Nick Chubb were welcomed onto the field with much louder, prolonged ovations.
“You can tell by the turnout that people want to go all-out for the Browns, but I think fans are being cautious,” said Hans Schneider, a 21-year season ticket holder and mayor of Wellington, Ohio. “Once a decision is made with Deshaun, there will be clarity.
Not surprisingly, an apparent contrast to Mary Cabot's perception/representation of Watson's reception.

Deshaun Watson gets enthusiastic reception; WR Isaiah Weston carted off: What Happened on Day 4 of Browns Training Camp
  • Updated: Jul. 30, 2022, 9:33 p.m.|
  • Published: Jul. 30, 2022, 8:53 p.m.

More on Watson's less than stellar fan reception at practice.

********************************************************************************

Fan reaction very mixed for Cleveland Browns’ Deshaun Watson
by Chad Porto2 minutes ago

Fans should not have been surprised at the lack of reception for Deshaun Watson.

If you follow a few Cleveland Browns fans and journalists on Twitter, you may notice how some are serving as Deshaun Watson’s personal PR team. It’s cute if it didn’t make me want to vomit. I’m never going to ask anyone to not root for a team they like, I’m just asking you not to make excuses for the people on the team when they have shown to be less than stellar human beings.

Some people can’t do this, and it’s sad. A lot can, and I get that.

Saturday was the first day fans would be allowed into practice to watch the Cleveland Browns do their thing, and it turns out that when people saw Watson come out to take the field, he got a less than warm reception. It was a tepid response, but whoever is running the Cleveland.com Twitter account just needed to goose the reception.

Even if Cleveland.com’s very own Chris Fedor pointed out that it was a terrible response. I mean, I get Brian Hoyer getting a louder reaction, he’s from here. Brandon Weedon?
Yikes.

The AP is another outlet that pointed out the muted and tepid response that Watson got, and they’re as center as it gets on the news.

It’s going to be hard for Deshaun Watson to win over fans

Winning doesn’t cure all. There are still basketball fans who dislike Kobe Bryant for the 2004 incident. That was in a noticeably less contentious time period to boot. These days fans are so dug in on a variety of issues that once they establish their emotional base, they won’t be moved from it.

The idea that if Watson does well that he’ll just convert all of these fans into football-worshipping fans is just silly. That’s not going to happen.

Yet, if Watson struggles, fans will turn on him, as fanbases have been proven to be particularly fickle. So anyone thinking that Watson is just going to wash off the critics with a few wins have got another thing coming.

Why would some people be unhappy if he's suspended until all cases both current and in the future are settled? Where have we gotten as a society?
Because, to them, being held accountable is racist! By the way, totally unrelated but did you read about what Mahomes said recently? Really made me lose respect for him, as I thought he was smarter than that. He truly believes he and other black quarterbacks should not have to keep proving themselves, insinuating racism.

Because, to them, being held accountable is racist! By the way, totally unrelated but did you read about what Mahomes
said recently? Really made me lose respect for him, as I thought he was smarter than that. He truly believes he and other black quarterbacks should not have to keep proving themselves, insinuating racism.

Funny thing is all of the accusers are minorities.

Hey Pat, every QB not named Brady has to prove themselves every year.

Mahomes wasn't referring to himself as an individual qb and having to prove his own spot year in and year out..

I mean, whether anyone agrees or disagrees with his idea, it was pretty obvious he was speaking to the criticism black qbs get, and have gotten, over the years as a group being different from their white counterparts at the position..

Mahomes wasn't referring to himself as an individual qb and having to prove his own spot year in and year out..

I mean, whether anyone agrees or disagrees with his idea, it was pretty obvious he was speaking to the criticism black qbs get, and have gotten, over the years as a group being different from their white counterparts at the position..
Pretty much

I’m not buying into this. Black QB’s are the highest paid QB’s at the moment. They get paid like this b/c team’s find their talent invaluable. Get your team a winning record, to the playoffs, a respectable loss in the playoffs and fans will be on board for next season. Shite the bed and fans will come down on said QB regardless of their ethnicity.

I’m not buying into this. Black QB’s are the highest paid QB’s at the moment. They get paid like this b/c team’s find their talent invaluable. Get your team a winning record, to the playoffs, a respectable loss in the playoffs and fans will be on board for next season. Shite the bed and fans will come down on said QB regardless of their ethnicity.
Say it louder for those in the back!

’m not buying into this. Black QB’s are the highest paid QB’s at the moment.
Can't both be true? Just because they are getting paid doesn't mean they have been immune to criticism.

Edit: Reportedly, Watson has been given a 6 game suspension. So Watson will return to Houston on 12/4. Should be quite the reception.

I am hopeful each team will psych up and beat Browns.. 0-17 next two seasons would cheer me right up.

Don't bet on it. This type of thing tends to draw a team closer together...For the most recent example of this, see our very own Houston Astros.

Don't bet on it. This type of thing tends to draw a team closer together...For the most recent example of this, see our very own Houston Astros.

Don’t ever compare the browns to the Astros.

The Astros were made to be the whipping boy for something a majority of the teams were doing too.

The Browns traded for a serial sexual assaulter who has shown no regrets for 23+ accusations. Both are facing criticism for their actions.

Just don’t compare the two.

Ever.

Don’t ever compare the browns to the Astros.

The Astros were made to be the whipping boy for something a majority of the teams were doing too.

The Browns traded for a serial sexual assaulter who has shown no regrets for 23+ accusations. Both are facing criticism for their actions.

Just don’t compare the two.

Ever.

Ehh, you’re reaching hard to insinuate something that i never said. The comparison wasnt the 2 teams’ actions vs how it was percieved by everyone else as fair or unfair. But, lets also be clear, the Stros did cheat.

The comparison was to what bad overall press has the potential to do for those players in the locker room….which is makes it a bit easier to create that us vs. the world mentality. Browns fans are acting outraged and disgusted now….let the team start winning tho…

Can't both be true? Just because they are getting paid doesn't mean they have been immune to criticism.

Why should anyone be immune to criticism, regardless of race, creed or color, particularly in a business where there is only one ultimate winner every year and everyone else is a loser ... which tends to be dominated by a very short list of top talent time and again.

Why should anyone be immune to criticism, regardless of race, creed or color, particularly in a business where there is only one ultimate winner every year and everyone else is a loser ... which tends to be dominated by a very short list of top talent time and again.
I agree 100% with this post. However, the world isn't perfect and human nature is fickle. There is a segment of fans who lace their criticism with an undertone of racism. Look at our Oilers. Does anyone think that some of the criticism Warren Moon faced was only about his play?

I agree 100% with this post. However, the world isn't perfect and human nature is fickle. There is a segment of fans who lace their criticism with an undertone of racism. Look at our Oilers. Does anyone think that some of the criticism Warren Moon faced was only about his play?
Does anyone ever remember a white QB being accused of playing "street ball"? Not Fran Tarkington, not Roger Staubach, not Doug Flutie.

Yeah, it's still a thing.

Does anyone ever remember a white QB being accused of playing "street ball"? Not Fran Tarkington, not Roger Staubach, not Doug Flutie.

Yep. It's the reason why Dan Fouts gets a pass and Warren Moon still gets unsubstantiated criticism. Both are HoF QBs that should be celebrated for great careers.

Yep. It's the reason why Dan Fouts gets a pass and Warren Moon still gets unsubstantiated criticism. Both are HoF QBs that should be celebrated for great careers.

Not disagreeing with your posts, but just because there was unsubstantiated criticism 30+ years ago doesn’t mean that the current QBs Mahomes, Murray and Jackson are going through the same type of unsubstantiated criticism. They are not going through the same challenges as Moon and others to the point they were only allowed to stay in certain hotels with their because of race.

Sometimes criticism is just that - criticism. And some other times criticism is just to generate clicks for advertising.

Edit - and sometimes some criticism is unsubstantiated. Unfortunately that negative aspect still exists.

Now that the fact has come out that Watson lied to the judge and the NFL during the investigation, you would have to believe he lied to the Browns also. According to how his contract was structured, that would actually give the Browns an out. And if he didn't lie to the Browns and the Browns ignored it, then technically the NFL could hold the Browns liable for lying to them. The Patriots during Deflate gate and now Ross with tampering both were both caught in lies with loss of a 1st and 3rd round picks. That could mean that the Browns could also lose their 1st round pick in 2025.

Amari Cooper injured his ankle in practice. The Browns HC says they aren't worried about it, he should return soon. However, he has had numerous ankle injuries and lasting issues in the past.

Cleveland’s first six games:

• Sept. 11: at Panthers
  • Sept. 18: vs. Jets
  • Sept. 22: vs. Steelers
  • Oct. 2: at Falcons
  • Oct. 9: vs. Chargers
  • Oct. 16: vs. Patriots

Yes I do,

People face criticism when they choke in the playoffs.

35-3

Yes I do,

People face criticism when they choke in the playoffs.

35-3

Man, I completely forgot those ducking (5) Pick 6’s…..that bahstard!!!

I guess it would only be appropriate to send Ol’ Warren a thank you note for his ugly record setting performance…..it got me a free ticket to the Super Bowl that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back