Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Considering the pass happy nature of today's NFL. Besides Trent Dilfer, I cannot think of another QB who did less than Garopollo in winning an NFL championship game. In the 2020 NFCCG, that guy completed 6-8 passes for 77 yards with 0 TDs and his team still scored 37 points. That is insane! They ran for almost 300 yards.

Even in the Super Bowl. Shanahan was trying to keep him from making the big mistakes, but some fans get mesmerized by his eyes and claim he is a winner. His HC didn't even trust him to make a play in the Super Bowl.
That says all you need to know. He was trying to give the Cowboys playoff game away, but Dallas keep Dallas-ing. Green Bay lost the game because special teams.

Exactly. Considering the pass happy nature of today's NFL. Besides Trent Dilfer, I cannot think of another QB who did less than Garopollo in winning an NFL championship game. In the 2020 NFCCG, that guy completed 6-8 passes for 77 yards with 0 TDs and his team still scored 37 points. That is insane! They ran for almost 300 yards.

Even in the Super Bowl. Shanahan was trying to keep him from making the big mistakes, but some fans get mesmerized by his eyes and claim he is a winner. His HC didn't even trust him to make a play in the Super Bowl.

All I can say is history is what it is.

Agreed, what is your point?
He's so high on your qb ladder, no team wants to give the 49ers anything. He has to be on a team with alot of great componets to be successful and in todays NFL, you can't do it. His team lost the superbowl when he clearly had the best roster and won the to battle. He will play in this league long time, like Alex Smith.

Last edited:
He's so high on your qb ladder, no team wants to give the 49ers anything. He has to be on a team with alot of great componets to be successful and in todays NFL, you can't do it. His team lost the superbowl when he clearly had the best roster and won the to battle. He will play in this league long time, like Alex Smith.
Like Alex Smith, at some point, the coaching staff will replace him because they finally recognize they can't win with him.

Like Alex Smith, at some point, the coaching staff will replace him because they finally recognize they can't win with him.

I really don't think that's the case.

Smith won a heck of a lot of football games. What he couldn't do was "carry a team". He was a tier 2 type that if you put a good team around you have a chance every Sunday, kinda like Schaub.

You put him on the current SanFran team and they are considerably better than they are with Garoppolo.

There's only so many Peyton Manning's and Tom Brayd's .... Smith & Schaub types are the next best thing.

The defense carried them to the SB. Lol come on dude Jimmy stunk up the joint.
Should have made it twice. You don't make a SB twice and be the type of scrub some think he is and he did this with a torn rotator cuff. He came up clutch at the end of playoff games. Except the SB. I put more value in how a QB plays at the end of games vs a bunch of stats

Brissett is certainly less than impressive. However, Dobbs and now Rosen are even less so.

********************************************************************************************

"Rosen’s signing doesn’t mean he’ll be installed as the No. 2 behind Brissett in the event Watson is suspended. Rosen, joining his sixth team in five seasons, will compete with Josh Dobbs for that role, but the Browns will also keep their options open depending on how long Watson is out. If they determine they need a more accomplished backup to Brissett, they’ll look around. Rosen has started 16 games to Dobbs’ none, but has gone 3-13 in those starts, including 0-3 in his previous three starts, in 2019 in Miami.

Dobbs has attempted only 17 NFL passes in his two stints with the Steelers
, but he’s been with the Browns throughout the offseason program and has a leg up in that regard.

About the only thing that seems certain right now is that Brissett will start for however long Watson is out. The Browns are comfortable with his skillset, with his performance in the spring, and with his ability to manage the offense until Watson gets back. In the event Watson is out for the season — which his camp does not believe will be the case — the Browns will pivot if they see fit."
LINK

There's only so many Peyton Manning's and Tom Brayd's .... Smith & Schaub types are the next best thing.
So are you saying Garoppolo is more Brady/Manning than Smith/Schaub?

Or…. Are you saying Garoppolo isn’t even at Smith/Schaub level & more like Cousins/Keenum?

Should have made it twice

Kneeling-During-The-National-Anthem-Colin.png

I really don't think that's the case.

Smith won a heck of a lot of football games. What he couldn't do was "carry a team". He was a tier 2 type that if you put a good team around you have a chance every Sunday, kinda like Schaub.

You put him on the current SanFran team and they are considerably better than they are with Garoppolo.

Agree. However, you're making my point. With Smith as your QB, you will always be looking to upgrade because he doesn't "carry a team". He has a reputation for taking a checkdown too quickly and not letting plays develop. Tyrek Hill played one year with Smith and averaged less than 10 YPC. Because of his ceiling, Kaepernick and Mahomes replaced him.

Maybe it's my homerism. I consider pre-injury Schaub a better QB than Smith.

Last edited:
I know Kyle Sloter did not look so great in the USFL with all the ints he threw but I think based on how good he looked in preseason games with the Vikings and Broncos when he was on their squads, he should get a chance to be part of a teams training camp. He did more in preseason games than a lot of back up quarterbacks in the NFL have done. I think the Browns should give him a look. It is not like it could hurt. He would still have to earn him a spot on the team.

I had never heard of this guy before your post. But he signed with the Jags today.
(6) 2018 Preseason Kyle Sloter Highlights - YouTube
(6) Kyle Sloter Broncos Preseason Highlights - YouTube
Kyle Sloter - Wikipedia

Kyle suffered a pulled groin and some other nagging injuries early in the USFL season with the New Orleans Breakers and he was interception prone so it is hard to say who the real Kyle Sloter is. The USFL version or the kid who impressed in NFL preseason games. I realize that preseason is not supposed to mean much but I saw more established big name backup Qb's do worse in preseason games and yet they are with NFL teams.

Should have made it twice. You don't make a SB twice and be the type of scrub some think he is and he did this with a torn rotator cuff. He came up clutch at the end of playoff games. Except the SB. I put more value in how a QB plays at the end of games vs a bunch of stats
I've never said he's a scrub, there is a middle ground. He's a trailer, not the tractor. His teams have been good enough defensively and running the ball to always be in the games. He's always had a top 5 rush game and defense. David Carr in that same talent category probably performs better based on at least what we've seen at the same point of their careers.

I've never said he's a scrub, there is a middle ground. He's a trailer, not the tractor. His teams have been good enough defensively and running the ball to always be in the games. He's always had a top 5 rush game and defense. David Carr in that same talent category probably performs better based on at least what we've seen at the same point of their careers.

It's an insult to compare Jimmy G to David Carr

Take this last season, Jimmy G came up big on the last drive to get the 49ers into the playoffs and a drive against the best team in the NFC on frozen tundra to make the NFCCG. Would have never made another SB if Tartt hadn't dropped that int.

Either Jimmy G is the luckiest guy alive, or he's clutch when it matters the most.

Take this last season, Jimmy G came up big on the last drive to get the 49ers into the playoffs and a drive against the best team in the NFC on frozen tundra to make the NFCCG. Would have never made another SB if Tartt hadn't dropped that int.

Either Jimmy G is the luckiest guy alive, or he's clutch when it matters the most.
I meant Derek and Jimmy is far from clutch. Everyone knows that.

So we're gonna act like those 2 special teams plays and the fact his defense held them to 10 points didn't matter?

I meant Derek and Jimmy is far from clutch. Everyone knows that.

I just gave you 2 instances where he came up big in the biggest of situations last year. But ok, your mind isn't going to be changed.

BTW, he did this with a torn rotator cuff.

I just gave you 2 instances where he came up big in the biggest of situations last year. But ok, your mind isn't going to be changed.
Again, I asked you, if those 2 special teams plays aren't made, what are we talking about. The only thing GB had to do is not get the punt blocked. In terms of clutch, he had the ball at the end of the rams game, what happened.

Again, I asked you, if those 2 special teams plays aren't made, what are we talking about. The only thing GB had to do is not get the punt blocked. In terms of clutch, he had the ball at the end of the rams game, what happened.
We don't know, it's possible Jimmy G could've driven them down the field like he did on the last drive. What I find interesting is Rodgers had the 1st chance and failed. This gave Jimmy G the chance he needed to win the game. Nobody's saying that Rodgers isn't a clutch QB and his team only put up 10 points

Deebo Samuels won that game. Garoppolo just happened to be on the field.
Ok if you say so

All I know is Jimmy G's teams seem to do a lot of winning and it's not a coincidence that he's the leader of those teams. Plus he's a gamer playing hurt. Guys will follow a guy like that.

Ok if you say so

All I know is Jimmy G's teams seem to do a lot of winning and it's not a coincidence that he's the leader of those teams. Plus he's a gamer playing hurt. Guys will follow a guy like that.

Playing on two, in their prime time, teams (Patriots and 49'ers) makes it a coincidence as well. Not exactly like he was leading the Jets to the promised land. His job with the Patriots and 49'ers.....don't lose the game.

Playing on two, in their prime time, teams (Patriots and 49'ers) makes it a coincidence as well. Not exactly like he was leading the Jets to the promised land. His job with the Patriots and 49'ers.....don't lose the game.
And he didn't

Lots of guys in his position have blown games that their teams should have won and there's value in that. Health is the only reason the 49ers drafted Lance.

See:Warren Moon as an example of what I'm talking about when it comes to the more talented team blowing playoff games. Never forget 35-3 or 51-7.

Warren Moon had 25 Fourth Quarter Comebacks and 35 Game-Winning Drives in his career.

Jimmy has 10 Fourth Quarter Comebacks and 10 Game-Winning Drives.

Buffalo was obviously a historical choke, but it was a TEAM choke, not just one man. Defense couldn't protect a 32 point lead for half a game of football. Last time I checked, Warren never played defense.
Never forget 35-3 and 51-7 chokes. Leaders don't let that happen to their teams. Just make about 5-7 1st downs and there's not time for a comeback in the 35-3 game.

Remember what Glanville said about Moon at the time, great player but can't win big games. Glanville's words became prophetic.

Ok if you say so

Jimmy has played on teams that are coached by two of the better offensive minds in football. I think they have a little bit more to do with a lot of winning than Jimmy.

Also, as far as playing hurt. Recently, Marcelius Bennett called Jimmy G, "a b**** who quit on his team". Julian Edelman agreed with Bennett.

"I don't know, we're all football players here,” Edelman said. “But Jacoby [Brissett], he tore ligaments in his thumb in the win against [the Texans in Week 3]. So we go into Week 4, and I guess Jimmy was practicing and then decided not to play. Jacoby played with no ligaments in his thumb, which you can't do that as a quarterback. You can't grip [the football].

"A lot of guys got mad at it. I'm not going to lie, I got mad about it. I sacrificed my body all day long. All day long. I was taking shots for this, numbing up that, ribs, broken ribs, shoulders, Grade 3, hanging on by limbs just to play.”

NFL: Julian Edelman rips Jimmy G for not playing through injury (yahoo.com)

Jimmy has played on teams that are coached by two of the better offensive minds in football. I think they have a little bit more to do with a lot of winning than Jimmy.

Also, as far as playing hurt. Recently, Marcelius Bennett called Jimmy G, "a b**** who quit on his team". Julian Edelman agreed with Bennett.

"I don't know, we're all football players here,” Edelman said. “But Jacoby [Brissett], he tore ligaments in his thumb in the win against [the Texans in Week 3]. So we go into Week 4, and I guess Jimmy was practicing and then decided not to play. Jacoby played with no ligaments in his thumb, which you can't do that as a quarterback. You can't grip [the football].

"A lot of guys got mad at it. I'm not going to lie, I got mad about it. I sacrificed my body all day long. All day long. I was taking shots for this, numbing up that, ribs, broken ribs, shoulders, Grade 3, hanging on by limbs just to play.”

NFL: Julian Edelman rips Jimmy G for not playing through injury (yahoo.com)
Well I guess leading your team to a NFCCG with a torn rotator cuff and it should have been another SB doesn't count for much around these parts. I guess QBs that put up meaningless stats on bad football teams means much more to some around these parts. Wonder why that is?

Deniers are strong around these parts.

Facts don't lie.

I can't wait to hear the excuses when the 49ers don't make the playoffs with Lance at QB. Then maybe some will admit what Jimmy G brings to a team. He's a middle of the road QB that plays well when there's a lot on the line. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if he hadn't overthrown Sanders by a fingertip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back