Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Does either Yates or Keenum give you a better chance to win that Schaub.

Does either Yates or Keenum give you a better chance to win that Schaub.

• Yes , Yates

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Yes , Keenum

Votes: 76 45.2%
  • NO

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • TexanBill for QB!

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At this point we know we aren't going to win, so what difference does it make it neither Yates or Keenum can win either?

In any case, given the choices, I voted for Keenum.

Me too.

I started to vote for Texan Bill but then I considered his weakness. All the opposing team would need do is have their cheerleaders flash him and there goes his concentration out the window.
:kitten:

After having cooled down...my opinion has not really changed.

I'm feeling like...Schaub was thought to be the best option because of the talent around this team, that he could be a game manager AT WORST and we could have still won the past two games.

But...he's not doing that. He's doing the opposite of that. We were in a defensive struggle in the Ravens game where points were a premium and he gave them points because he failed to realize the LB was playing a zone and carelessly put it over the middle.

He failed to do that the previous game, completely failing to understand the situation. Up 7, your defense is playing well...take the sack man. Make Seattle WORK for the tie at least.

The hard part about it is man...Schaub can be clutch at times...but when he's not clutch he's throwing the game away. It's feast or famine in clutch situations with Schaub it seems. Like there is no middle ground with him, he's gotta be the hero or the zero. It's like Brett Favre except without all the success...so it's more like Tony Romo...These two Texas QBs have a lot in common I'm starting to realize.

Actually more than a few people have said that.

The percentages may be stacked against him, but the percentages don't look any better with Schaub, do they? Furthermore, if you play him and find out he sucks, it helps the future decision making process.

In all actuality, I want to see Schaub benched for a game, or a half, or hell, even a series. I don't necessarily want to switch QBs mid-season. That's likely a recipe for disaster. But at this point, playing Schaub looks like a recipe for 8-8, which is worse, IMO. At this point in time, with the way this team is built, either be great or take the next future step toward being bad. Keenum is that next future step, IMO. He either succeeds or he tells you all you need to know about the position going forward.

This is where I am also. If Tate had to sit out the rest of the second half - and along with him his nearly 7 yds/carry - because he turned the ball over, then Schaub should have to sit out a game or two. These misreads/screwups/panic throws cannot continue to be rewarded by starting him week after week. And just maybe, Schaub might see some things from the safety of the sideline that he doesn't see under fire.

I don't think pulling Schaub will sabotage the season, but I do fear it will cause Kubiak to go even more conservative than he normally is. And THAT would defeat the purpose, at least partially, of making the change.

In the end, I think we (most of us) realize Schaub will be the QB for the rest of this season and likely next season. He and Kubiak are tied together, benching him will be admitting failure on his part.

IMO, we're stuck like Chuck with the both of them.

In the end, I think we (most of us) realize Schaub will be the QB for the rest of this season and likely next season. He and Kubiak are tied together, benching him will be admitting failure on his part.

IMO, we're stuck like Chuck with the both of them.

QFT. There is absolutely NOTHING fans can do right now to make the HC do anything.

Kubiak will keep Schaub in there until the end. Fans just need to get it out of their system because we are ultimately powerless.

And like I said in another thread, I've given up on Schaub, but I will not give up on the team. The season is far from over.

Why?

Kubiak Benched Arian for a half...... may have been the best move he ever made. He's benching Tate, doesn't appear to be sticking yet.

If there's a chance that this would kick start Schaub, why not bench him for a qtr, or a half? Even a game.

If I were Kubiak, this would be the game I would do it. Set Tj Yates up to fail. If he looks bad, people won't feel so bad when I bring Schaub off the bench.

If he kicks butt.... & I mean kick butt, not get by.... then I've got something to work with. Kubiak picked all three of the QBs on our roster.

What does benching your QB for a half, or a quarter or a game do exactly? What message are you sending? To the team? To the QB's? You can be down on Matt Schaub all you want, and that's fine and understandable, but playing musical QB's when the team is still in contention to get a playoff spot seems like a waste.

Really if Matt Schaub is going to break down, then this would be the year to do it, as the QB class for the next draft looks pretty good. And no, we do not owe it to Yates or Keenum to "see what they got" if we are thinking about going this route and passing up drafting a QB next year.

Never forget that Kubiak was a QB in the NFL.

Everything he does comes into focus when you understand that perspective.

I think he sees RB's as expendable.

But with QBs - especially Matt Schaub - Kubiak is never going to do anything that undermines the mental state or questions the QBs leadership.

Right or wrong, understand it or hate it, just accept that this is the way it is and the way it will be with Kubiak.

QB =/= RB

QB >>> RB

I would be shocked if he ever benched Schaub for anything outside of injury.

Did you see Kubiak's post game press conference? He took ALL responsibility away from Schaub. He accepted ALL responsibility for the loss and even admitted that it was not good playcalling. While the QB failed to execute and made stupid decisions, in the end, Kubiak claimed it was all on him for putting Schaub in that position. That press conference tells you everything you need to know about the possibility of him benching Schaub.

All this talk is just frustrated fan venting, because it's not reality.

And to be honest, I think his players are accepting it. Owen Daniels pretty much said it, too. Something along the lines that they don't always like the playcalling, but "make the best of it".

What does benching your QB for a half, or a quarter or a game do exactly? What message are you sending? To the team? To the QB's? You can be down on Matt Schaub all you want, and that's fine and understandable, but playing musical QB's when the team is still in contention to get a playoff spot seems like a waste..

I need Matt Schaub to kick it up another notch.

I'd be happy if he starts sharing first team snaps with Tj, Case, even Owen Daniels.

Whatever it takes, we need to see Schaub respond (actually, looked like he responded well up until the 6 minute mark of the 2nd half). He's the leader of the team. Especially the offense.

I agree with mostly everything you said except the bolded parts...a patchwork o-line isn't good for any qb, mobile or not.

Furthermore i think right now is too early to look at starting keenum...imo the season has to be lost for him to get his shot....handle him much the same way we handled Arian. If he comes out on top next year in the preseason after open competition, fine. Yates deserves his shot 1st imo b/c the season is still salvageable.

I agree a patchwork o-line is no good for any qb but worse for an immobile QB in my opinion.

The only reason I mentioned Keenum 1st is because I was responding to your post based on Keenum seeing no live bullets. I have no problem with TJ getting first shot and then Keenum. I have posted this idea before, ideally Schaub is inactive and the other two are active.

The only reason I feel you are risking nothing is because my goal is the SB and I don't see MS getting us there. You may think he can still get us there therefore you will think we are risking something.

Never forget that Kubiak was a QB in the NFL.

Everything he does comes into focus when you understand that perspective.

I think he sees RB's as expendable.

But with QBs - especially Matt Schaub - Kubiak is never going to do anything that undermines the mental state or questions the QBs leadership.

Right or wrong, understand it or hate it, just accept that this is the way it is and the way it will be with Kubiak.

QB =/= RB

QB >>> RB

I would be shocked if he ever benched Schaub for anything outside of injury.

Did you see Kubiak's post game press conference? He took ALL responsibility away from Schaub. He accepted ALL responsibility for the loss and even admitted that it was not good playcalling. While the QB failed to execute and made stupid decisions, in the end, Kubiak claimed it was all on him for putting Schaub in that position. That press conference tells you everything you need to know about the possibility of him benching Schaub.

All this talk is just frustrated fan venting, because it's not reality.

And to be honest, I think his players are accepting it. Owen Daniels pretty much said it, too. Something along the lines that they don't always like the playcalling, but "make the best of it".

I actually think this is an NFL thing, more than Kubes alone. When we see QBs openly treated like kickers (see you Josh Freeman) we are actually surprised. They have the strange combination of being more responsible for the team, and less accountable.

Furthermore i think right now is too early to look at starting keenum...imo the season has to be lost for him to get his shot....
I admit I may have been a little Knee jerk, but after that first INT I'd have had him on the sideline sizing up a walking boot.

QFT. There is absolutely NOTHING fans can do right now to make the HC do anything.

Kubiak will keep Schaub in there until the end. Fans just need to get it out of their system because we are ultimately powerless.

And like I said in another thread, I've given up on Schaub, but I will not give up on the team. The season is far from over.

Agree with this.

I've given up on him as well, but not the team. I'm not going to root against Schaub to validate my opinion on him, will root for him to turn this around and hopefully lead us to a magical season.

Agree with this.

I've given up on him as well, but not the team. I'm not going to root against Schaub to validate my opinion on him, will root for him to turn this around and hopefully lead us to a magical season.

A lot of us don't like certain aspects of the Texans, be it a player or a coach or something. But we still love the team which is why we are here.

Thing is, brady,hasselbach,and warner are exceptions,not the rule.If you just look at the last 10yrs in the nfl,the sb qbs are 1st rd picks. Now gary has done wonders with schaub,just like they did wonders with jake plummer,but at some point you have to draft a guy with a high ceiling or your project needs to be a guy with a ceiling. I blame kubes moreso on sticking to his guns with schaub. I thought tj should've gotten then job after the injury and the team was still good enough playoff wise. If tj failed,then they need to get a qb which is where they're at now. To me,gary has squeezed every once out of schaub. He had the playaction rolls to keep his feet clean. He shortnened the throwing lanes for his lack of arm strength.He added a young wr who will catch anything in his area,plus a slot,another te,and another young wr and he still can't get it done. I don't know what else there is.

Looks like Gary is doing what psychologist call "transference". He projecting his OWN feelings unto someone else. In this case he's remembering spending an ENTIRE CAREER as a back up to John Elway and wishing that someone had plucked him from the #2 spot to groom him to be a starting QB. After he ceased to be a QB he became an Offensive Coordinator and made it his mission to "groom" QBs.

Kubiak sees a bit of himself in Matt Schaub. A GOOD QB who just needs a chance to PROVE how good he is. UNFORTUNATELY he has blinders on and can't see that while Schaub is a diamond in the ruff he's not a Jeweler's diamond but an INDUSTRIAL diamond used to make blade sharpeners.

Coach Kubiak needs to accept that his gut insticts about Matt Schaub were WRONG, put him back at #2 where he belongs and groom one of the two young men who would KILL for Schaub's current job.

To me,gary has squeezed every once out of schaub. He had the playaction rolls to keep his feet clean. He shortnened the throwing lanes for his lack of arm strength.He added a young wr who will catch anything in his area,plus a slot,another te,and another young wr and he still can't get it done. I don't know what else there is.

I'm confused. You mention the addition of a young WR.... which happened this year.

Then you say that Schaub can't get it done.... I'm pretty down on Schaub right now, but how do we know he can't get it done? After 4 games where we're 2-2.

do you think Matt Ryan can't get it done either?

I'm asking for clarification, because we know Flacco can do it & his last 4 games weren't much better than Schaub's. They lost to Buffalo & Denver.

Again, this is not in defense of Matt, just trying to understand your reasoning.

The one thing that grates on my nerves more than his inaccuracy, red zone picks, lead feet & lately his pick 6's is his lack of fire. There's no visible passion to Schaub. He never gets in anyone's grill for anything. Show me one great/elite QB that won't jump his guys on the field every once in a while if they're screwing up. Matt & his droopy eyes never gets upset or shows any fire what so ever. Who's really in charge on the field?

When you watch Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc., there's no doubt in anyone's mind who is in control on the field. But with Schaub, if you had never watched a football game in your life, you wouldn't know to assume the QB was in charge. So, you wouldn't have a clue who was in charge.

I'm confused. You mention the addition of a young WR.... which happened this year.

Then you say that Schaub can't get it done.... I'm pretty down on Schaub right now, but how do we know he can't get it done? After 4 games where we're 2-2.

I'm asking for clarification, because we know Flacco can do it & his last 4 games weren't much better than Schaub's. They lost to Buffalo & Denver.

Again, this is not in defense of Matt, just trying to understand your reasoning.

I never thought schaub could do it. He's too limited in his physical talent. Mostly the slow feet,avg arm. Yesterday would've been a grea chance to get hopkins targets. I've been watching schaub and pre dtermin3ed wherehes going with the ball despite the coverage. On the pick 6,the wrse thing was the pick,but just as bad was johnson exploding down the fied,but schaub already had set his mind on throwing it to daniels who was covered by the best cb in the game. This happens a lot with schaub and that's something a vet qb shouldn't do. Go back and watch all those 3rd and 4s and watch how seattle was manipulating his reads.Even when the opportunity presented itself to throw it down the field or audible and run the te up the seams,he ddnt do it. Just to be fair,I don't think matt ryan can do it either.He's a better version of schaub,but he has some of the same issues talent wise.The best thing the gm did was recognize early he was gonna need a lot of help to try to get there. That's why they moved up for julio,signed jackson,traded for gonzales.When you think your qb can overcome shortcomings,you kinda stay staus quo.

Schaub to me is trent green,marc bulger type of qbs. They can function and win some games in the nfl,but they will never be good enough to help the team get to the superbowl. That is the ultimate prize,right?

I'm actually more pissed off than I was yesterday.

Watching some of the clips again on the networks I just can't believe how bad Schaub is. I don't care about the stats. I don't care that he "knows the system". We aren't going anywhere with him. He's not ok. He's not mediocre. He's bad.

If this was Yates, or sage folks would be all over them. But some people just have their blinders on with Schaub. This past game wasn't the low point. Expect for it to get worse.

The one thing that grates on my nerves more than his inaccuracy, red zone picks, lead feet & lately his pick 6's is his lack of fire. There's no visible passion to Schaub. He never gets in anyone's grill for anything. Show me one great/elite QB that won't jump his guys on the field every once in a while if they're screwing up. Matt & his droopy eyes never gets upset or shows any fire what so ever. Who's really in charge on the field?

When you watch Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc., there's no doubt in anyone's mind who is in control on the field. But with Schaub, if you had never watched a football game in your life, you wouldn't know to assume the QB was in charge. So, you wouldn't have a clue who was in charge.

Schaub, after that pick, looked just like Sanchez last year after the butt fumble. Look at the guy running the other way with your football then shed tears in the turf.

Schaub, after that pick, looked just like Sanchez last year after the butt fumble. Look at the guy running the other way with your football then shed tears in the turf.

The "Butt Fumble". That still cracks me up everytime I hear it. It's like when Jose Canseco bounced the ball off the top of his head for a homerun. Those moments will follow them until the day they die. :lol:

I'm actually more pissed off than I was yesterday.

Watching some of the clips again on the networks I just can't believe how bad Schaub is. I don't care about the stats. I don't care that he "knows the system". We aren't going anywhere with him. He's not ok. He's not mediocre. He's bad. .

Yep.

I don't know how many times I have heard the argument against Keenum here on the MB..........."If Keenum was allowed to QB this team, he would only have a limited portion of the playbook opened up to him to work with." It should be obvious to everyone by now that Schaub has been playing with a playbook that has been dictated very much by his abilities...........a very limited playbook.

I don't know how many times I have heard the argument against Keenum here on the MB..........."If Keenum was allowed to QB this team, he would only have a limited portion of the playbook opened up to him to work with." It should be obvious to everyone by now that Schaub has been playing with a playbook that has been dictated very much by his abilities...........a very limited playbook.

Rep.

But Keenum has so many more skills. Much larger playbook....

I'll say the unpopular thing and say...at this point you ride Schaub out. Do I have confidence in him? Honestly, no. I lost it after this past game and realizing he has now thrown an int in 7 straight games. At the same time I don't have a ton of confidence in Yates nor Keenum just yet when we're going into San fransico and 2-2 at this point. I see Keenum as more of a future so don't think he'd be worked in over Yates in any case unless they know for certain they aren't re-signing Yates. In that situation they may go like the Browns and throw Keenum in there but doesn't seem Kubiak's style.

I think both Yates and Keenum were great in the preseason. I lean more toward Case but in the end I realize one thing. It was preseason. We're talking vanila defenses, no disguised coverages, blitzes or formations. Even Brandon Weeden looked awesome in the preseason until defenses made him actually think for a second. So I'm hesitant to bank all my confidence on either just yet.

After the 49ers we play some medicore defenses (except the Chiefs but their offense is nothing to worry on) and I could changes being made if Schaub continues. But right now I say you have to ride the horse you saddled and hope he can break out mentally....

....just don't hold your breath on it. May have to sacrifice a chicken to some out of the world god but that's about it.

Other than me, what other dumbasses voted for me??

Meh, like it or not Schaub is still light years ahead of both Yates and Keenum (as much as I don't want that to be the case).

As much as we like to deal with absolutes, it's not about can and can't. Nearly everyone that makes it to this level can get it done. The question is how likely is it, keeping in mind that for every quarterback, including Manning, Brees, and Brady, it's very unlikely each of them will get to, let alone win another superbowl. One of them probably will, but individually, it's unlikely. Only two per year get in. Only one wins it. As they say in investing, past performance is no indicator of future results.

That being said, Matt Ryan is still young and has played consistently good football.

Flacco and Schaub have not. Flacco is still in his prime; Schaub is not.

So, he can get it done, it's just really, really, really, unlikely.

Let schaub stink it up vs the niners then you have your excuse to end the schaub era.

lets figure out what we have with keenum afterwards or find out if yates has improved from his years and reps.

why prolong the inevitable?

I think everybody by now knows Matt Schaub is not the answer. This has been apparent to any knowledgeable Texan fan for years but i hope finally this year those of you holding out hope for a Schaub renaissance finally have gotten the message.

So if our current starting qb is not the answer, shouldnt we start figuring out if Keenum or Yates have the ability to be a starter so we can start the process of whether or not to draft a qb in the upcoming draft?

If we stay with schaub the rest of the season and it fails, we have to go through another year of testing if Yates or Keenum can do it. Why not test it now? If there was ever a time to end the schaub era and not catch flak, now would be the time to do it.

Why prolong the suffering and inevitable?

There is only one person that needs to be convinced, and he is either too blind, too stupid, or too loyal to make a change that might actually help the future of the team.
That person also might not yet think this season is toaste and he might still believe Schaub gives him the best chance to win now.

Exactly what I was trying to point out.

The problem with keenum is the same with schaub, arm talent. When you dont have an nfl arm, the playbook is automatically limited in terms of what u can call as a coach. No deep comebacks or outs. No deep dagger routes off 5 step drop. Basically,the same offense in terms of being able to exploit the defense.

The problem with keenum is the same with schaub, arm talent. When you dont have an nfl arm, the playbook is automatically limited in terms of what u can call as a coach. No deep comebacks or outs. No deep dagger routes off 5 step drop. Basically,the same offense in terms of being able to exploit the defense.

Did dyou not watch the preseason game where he hit whoever in stride down the sideline?

Did dyou not watch the preseason game where he hit whoever in stride down the sideline?

Watchef the whole preseason as well as throwing at camp. Schaub can throw a sideline throw down the field when his feet are clean. The problem is can he drive the ball while in the phonebooth when guys are around his feet? Case nor schaub can do it. Does that mean u cant play qb? No,but it really limits what the offense can do vs a defense.

how could you post that garbage after seeing the throws that Keenum made in preseason?

joe montana had a weak arm. so does peyton manning. It wasnt hat big of a problem for them was it?

The problem with schaub is that not only does he have a weak arm, he is also immobile, nonathletic, has horrible pocket presence, crumbles under pressure, and has trouble progressing through his reads, and is not very accurate.

Keenum might not have Matt Ryan's cannon arm but he is accurate, mobile, very poise under pressure, and is more importantly, he is a playmaker. He makes things happen when plan A is no longer an option. Something that Schaub cannot do.

Keenum is a natural at the qb position. A true gamer. All the things that schaub is not. The only thing matt has on keenum is height and experience. That's it.

how could you post that garbage after seeing the throws that Keenum made in preseason?

joe montana had a weak arm. so does peyton manning. It wasnt hat big of a problem for them was it?

The problem with schaub is that not only does he have a weak arm, he is also immobile, nonathletic, has horrible pocket presence, crumbles under pressure, and has trouble progressing through his reads, and is not very accurate.

Keenum might not have Matt Ryan's cannon arm but he is accurate, mobile, very poise under pressure, and is more importantly, he is a playmaker. He makes things happen when plan A is no longer an option. Something that Schaub cannot do.

Keenum is a natural at the qb position. A true gamer. All the things that schaub is not. The only thing matt has on keenum is height and experience. That's it.

Very hard to compare college/preseason nfl to regular season mobility, accuracy, poise under pressure and playmaking ability. It is all a rather big bowl of speculation Brah

Very hard to compare college/preseason nfl to regular season mobility, accuracy, poise under pressure and playmaking ability. It is all a rather big bowl of speculation Brah

Not really. Those throws keenum made in preseason where big time nfl throws. the TD throw to martin and especially that throw keenum made on the run in the back of the end zone to ryan griffin shows keenum's talent and potential is for real. That was a spectacular throw that schaub could have never made.

btw, its breh, not brah.

breh.

Not really. Those throws keenum made in preseason where big time nfl throws. the TD throw to martin and especially that throw keenum made on the run in the back of the end zone to ryan griffin shows keenum's talent and potential is for real. That was a spectacular throw that schaub could have never made.

btw, its breh, not brah.

breh.

Its all specualtion that any performance could be duplicated in the regular season against first string D. brah

Well, already voiced my thoughts on the fact we should continue with Schaub (for now at least) but this whole arm strength is silly in regards to any of these guys. None of them have really strong arms so not even sure where this 'Yates has the bigger arm' is coming from. Look up the scouting reports and the main consensus are the same. He lack arm strength.

The main flaw in T.J. Yates’s game is definitely his lack of arm strength. On throws over 20 yards Yates really struggles to put the ball in the right spot. Because his arm is so weak, he’s not asked to throw deep much, so he never really developed much accuracy throwing down field either. He puts poor touch on his deep ball, and the receiver usually has to adjust and come back to the ball.

Analysis: Yates is a terrific game manager who is always in control of the situation. He lacks the size and arm strength to be a starter at the next level yet may be effective backing up in a timing or West Coast offense

Negatives: Might be maxed out. Doesn't possess the size, athleticism or arm strength most teams are looking for in a developmental prospect. Only average arm strength and accuracy outside of the hashes.

So let's stop already with the Yates arm strength thing as if his arm strength is that much different than the two we have already. If it is any stronger than Keenum's it will be a small margin or Keenum may have a stronger one. But in either direction we're not talking some amazing margin of difference for it to be the reasoning between either.

Huge misconception. Case can make any throw you need him to make. I've watched him a lot more than preseason. Remember he was at UH for like 16 years.

That said, I wouldn't be comfortable with him taking the reins.

Back