Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Does either Yates or Keenum give you a better chance to win that Schaub.

Does either Yates or Keenum give you a better chance to win that Schaub.

• Yes , Yates

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Yes , Keenum

Votes: 76 45.2%
  • NO

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • TexanBill for QB!

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure the Texan QB solution is on the roster . That being said it may be time to find out . The Texans are missing their window because of Kubiak's reluctance to change and Schaub's inability to do so .

I don't know if he is or if he's not. I don't think allowing Schaub to go back out there, unchallenged as our starter is going to get us any closer to finding out though.

We've been "supporting" him since week 14 of last season. Time to try something different. Throw someone out there. Give them the opportunity to win the job on the field, on a Sunday. If it doesn't work out, give Matt an opportunity to win the job.

giving it to him isn't working anymore.

Having read through all the replies, it seems almost everyone answered the poll question in the context of who they'd like see in place of Schaub. But I'd ask, win what? If the task is to have a good shot at the Super Bowl, then it is extremely unlikely that a QB with as little experience as Keenum or Yates, would much improve our chances. If the task is to simply win any single game against a quality team, then I think that either of the two would have a reasonable chance of winning. If you are willing to give up playoff expectations and to start over with a new QB, then you make the change.

But a lot of Schaub's problem lies with our OL play. Not just sacks, but QB pressures. The young QB's have the advantage of mobility, but you also have to successfully execute under this pressure.

I've already lowered my expectations for the season and having done so, I'm now open to a change at QB; and between the two, I'd like to see what Keenum can do.

But as for the poll, I answered "no".

image yates first strating game on the road against the 49ers WOW Scary

I also think if we start yates or keenum we will havesome good but also some growing pains

Can you really call a guy a rookie if he's in his 5th season on his 4th NFL team?

Meh, this guy barely has any experience at all either way. Technically Kaepernick wasn't a rookie last year but everyone thinks of him as one. Either way experience has little to do with it, plenty of guys have shown with practically 0 experience that you can play in this league.

Our experienced QB is still the guy floating it into the flats with a 7 point lead.

Honestly I'll take the guy eager to start in the NFL than the guy that only stepped it up because his backup job was on the line.

we have probowlers all over the field. we cant be this talented with this good of a scheme on both offense and defense - and be this bad. the plays work, we've all seen it. we've seen schaub, yates, and keenum all shine in the role. schaub peaked and has regressed. he cant move and is actively costing us games with his slow and scared performances. anybody that doesnt lose us games is an upgrade.

yates is that upgrade, but we have a player with a much higher ceiling behind him. keenum has to be the guy. he has everything you want in this scheme. mobile, pocket awareness, throws well on the run, accurate, good ball fake, great deep ball, quick through his progressions, leads receivers. and he wont throw pick 6's every game.

we have probowlers all over the field. we cant be this talented with this good of a scheme on both offense and defense - and be this bad. the plays work, we've all seen it. we've seen schaub, yates, and keenum all shine in the role. schaub peaked and has regressed. he cant move and is actively costing us games with his slow and scared performances. anybody that doesnt lose us games is an upgrade.

yates is that upgrade, but we have a player with a much higher ceiling behind him. keenum has to be the guy. he has everything you want in this scheme. mobile, pocket awareness, throws well on the run, accurate, good ball fake, great deep ball, quick through his progressions, leads receivers. and he wont throw pick 6's every game.

C'mon, I'm as tired of Schaub as anybody but singing the praises of Keenum like you have, well, lets just wait until he actually plays in a real NFL game against real NFL starters with real defensive coordinators scheming against him.

Either way, the window is closed on Schaub and it's time to look toward the future. It makes no sense to win 8-9 games with Schaub when they could be building something sustainable.

I DEMAND a 5- It can not get any worse

My vote would be: can they do any worse? I say give Yates or Keenum a shot. I like Keenum but he may need more time. I say Yates has been here long enough and has shown he can at least do as good.

Man, that pick 6 to Sherman completely emptied me of any glimmer of hope that Schaub could be adequate enough if everything else fell into place (i.e. Dilfer).

But three pick 6's in a row? And one that directly cost us a game?? That is beyond inexcusable. That was embarrassingly pathetic. I'd say it's obvious evidence now. This team cannot even carry a QB like that on it's back.

I have no idea if either Yates or Keenum could give us a 'magical Brady season'. We can hope - based on the playoff win season by Yates or the pre-season potential of Keenum - but in the end it's a shot in the dark.

However, I do feel in my bones now that Schaub will never give us a 'magical Dilfer season'.

Seen enough of Yates to believe he's not the answer. Give Case a chance

When examine Kubiak's decision to not have true open competition beginning in the offseason, you've got to also wonder about his decision for the order of choice of #2 and #3.............

Man, that pick 6 to Sherman completely emptied me of any glimmer of hope that Schaub could be adequate enough if everything else fell into place (i.e. Dilfer).

But three pick 6's in a row? And one that directly cost us a game?? That is beyond inexcusable. That was embarrassingly pathetic. I'd say it's obvious evidence now. This team cannot even carry a QB like that on it's back.

I have no idea if either Yates or Keenum could give us a 'magical Brady season'. We can hope - based on the playoff win season by Yates or the pre-season potential of Keenum - but in the end it's a shot in the dark.

However, I do feel in my bones now that Schaub will never give us a 'magical Dilfer season'.

The major thing that Keenum or Yates gives us is the unknown which has great value for us fans. I am not sure what value that has in an NFL lockerrom.

There is not a QB on this team that is better than Schaub. I still think they should bench him at least for a game. Schaub has to be held accountable, just like everyone else. Hopefully it would make him better. If not I still think this defense is good enough to take us deep into the playoff's if we just run the ball and don't make mistakes.

Next year I hope we draft a QB early.

I don't know if Keenum will be better, but at this point, could he realistically be any worse? :foottap:

yes...we have seen this theory in action over and over even the short history of the Texans. The next guy up can and more often than not is worse.

There is not a QB on this team that is better than Schaub. I still think they should bench him at least for a game. Schaub has to be held accountable, just like everyone else. Hopefully it would make him better. If not I still think this defense is good enough to take us deep into the playoff's if we just run the ball and don't make mistakes.

Agreed. Schaub is the best QB on the team. Keenum is unproven and Yates is like a spare tire. You put him on after a blow out, but you can't ride him for long.

I think benching Schaub is not a bad idea. It reminds me of the season where the Oilers were 1-4 and they benched Warren Moon for a half. They won the next 11 games. I think Schaub just needs to get his head on straight for a game.

The major thing that Keenum or Yates gives us is the unknown which has great value for us fans. I am not sure what value that has in an NFL lockerrom.

With Yates, there is not much unknown to defenses (which is the important thing) in anticipating his actions...........just a little quicker reaction than Schaub. With Keenum, the Ds lack not only significant film, but also lose predictability of how he will react in tight situations. This gives him some additional time to truly "develop."

With Yates, there is not much unknown to defenses (which is the important thing) in anticipating his actions...........just a little quicker reaction than Schaub. With Keenum, the Ds lack not only significant film, but also lose predictability of how he will react in tight situations. This gives him some additional time to truly "develop."

Yates still has only 5 or 6 starts and while there is some book on him, that was written for a rookie who the Texans had about zero intention of ever playing a meaningful down in 2011. Anyway, the "unknown" is not true playing style, etc., but the idea of having hope (even false) that either guy might produce different results. We (and the entire league) know what Schuab is and he getting worse not better.

Hope really is not normally a good plan, but I know the fans at least do not really have any in regards to Schaub at this point.

Agreed. Schaub is the best QB on the team. Keenum is unproven and Yates is like a spare tire. You put him on after a blow out, but you can't ride him for long.

I think benching Schaub is not a bad idea. It reminds me of the season where the Oilers were 1-4 and they benched Warren Moon for a half. They won the next 11 games. I think Schaub just needs to get his head on straight for a game.

Where are y'all getting these opinions on Schaub and Yates? I was a HUGE supporter of Keenum in PS but realize that there is no way Kubiak will start Keenum over Yates.

How can there be definitive tape on Yates since his rookie year? He's shown that he knows the offense inside out in the PS. If you want definitive tape on him, run him out there and execute a full game plan with him at the helm.

How can anyone say that Schaub is definitely the best QB on the team? Kubiak hasn't ran a back up QB on the field, with full trust, since Rosenfels. Judging Yates based on his rookie(3rd string) year and a handful of attempts last year is ludicrous.

Schaub is the turkey that is keeping the Texans from soaring.

cle browns are starting a 3rd stringer. they just won their last 2 games beating the bengals today.

I do think that both Yates and Keenum are much better and could take this team further than Schaub at this point in time.

if yates can prove he can run throw all his 4 reads in like 1 sec kinda like schaub used to do then hes got a shot

I think that why Kubes hs stuck with matt that's the only thing he has is EXP and uhh at times matt in between in the 50's he can light up any defense

Having read through all the replies, it seems almost everyone answered the poll question in the context of who they'd like see in place of Schaub. But I'd ask, win what? If the task is to have a good shot at the Super Bowl, then it is extremely unlikely that a QB with as little experience as Keenum or Yates, would much improve our chances. If the task is to simply win any single game against a quality team, then I think that either of the two would have a reasonable chance of winning. If you are willing to give up playoff expectations and to start over with a new QB, then you make the change.

But a lot of Schaub's problem lies with our OL play. Not just sacks, but QB pressures. The young QB's have the advantage of mobility, but you also have to successfully execute under this pressure.

I've already lowered my expectations for the season and having done so, I'm now open to a change at QB; and between the two, I'd like to see what Keenum can do.

But as for the poll, I answered "no".

Key word in your reply is "much" and we don't need much. We need minimal improvement in pocket movement and 1 less interception a game. If we get a 6 yard run here or ther it's monumentally better than the one 5 yard gain we've gotten from Schaub.

I've tried to be supportive of the guy, I have not been a supporter or a hater. I have tried to allow him opportunity to earn respect. He just doesn't get it done and there won't be an improvement. Payton Manning and Brady may have value in their mid thirties due to amazing talent but Schaub's peak isn't behind him......his whole career is behind him, the guy is SO done!

I know Weeden got hurt, but that staff put their sht on the table & started their 3rd string guy over their back-up. Dude killed the Bengals today. Dude killed last week.

If most of us are right & Kubiak believe Keenum may be the future, this would be the time to find out. Start him on the road against the 49ers (who are having confidence/health issues right now)..... defense playing pretty good.

Keenum has schaub arm talent. Even in the preseason,everything was inside the numbers. If case is the future,then you might as well hand the division the colts for tye next 12 yrs.

Im ready to get TexanBill loaded on good scotch and suit him up .... anything has to be better than gifting opponents a TD per game. :choke:

Keenum has schaub arm talent. Even in the preseason,everything was inside the numbers. If case is the future,then you might as well hand the division the colts for tye next 12 yrs.
You must be smoking crack or have no idea what you're talking about. Either way, it's pure drivel.

I think you could expect either of the young QB's to give up more int's than Schaub. I believe the key would be which one "reads" the field better and instinctively finds the open receiver; and a second key would be how well he can place the long ball when DeAndre, or Andre, is in single coverage deep.

Either would be better, but im leaning Keenum since he went throw his progressions very well and didnt eye down one WR

I'm not sure the Texan QB solution is on the roster . That being said it may be time to find out . The Texans are missing their window because of Kubiak's reluctance to change and Schaub's inability to do so .

I would love to see Keenum get a chance but, honestly I think the problem is at least as much Kubiak as it is Schaub. EVERYONE knows how conservative Kubiak is in certain situations and especially with a lead and so they know they always have a shot at beating us because WE ALWAYS turn conservative and leave the other team room to make a comeback. If, with the talent we have, Kubiak doesn't have the confidence to keep the foot on the gas pedal and execute until we have put the game out of reach, then we have a coaching problem more than a QB problem.

563642_10152276272833957_753343915_n.jpg

I would love to see Keenum get a chance but, honestly I think the problem is at least as much Kubiak as it is Schaub. EVERYONE knows how conservative Kubiak is in certain situations and especially with a lead and so they know they always have a shot at beating us because WE ALWAYS turn conservative and leave the other team room to make a comeback. If, with the talent we have, Kubiak doesn't have the confidence to keep the foot on the gas pedal and execute until we have put the game out of reach, then we have a coaching problem more than a QB problem.
All of the offense rolls through the QB. If Kubiak gameplans to his QB's weaknesses and strengths then it's no wonder why he calls the games like he does.

i have been a schaub guy for many years. believing that he had the skill to take this team to the promised land. but like i said in another thread, for me its all on schaub, not gary, not the offence. He hasnt elevated his game and perhaps gone backwards this year. disappointing. i feel sorry for him because i like him but his holding this team back.

You must be smoking crack or have no idea what you're talking about. Either way, it's pure drivel.

Case doesn't have a nfl arm. He can't drive the ball outside the numbers. Basically,the offense would be limited on routes just like it is now. That's a problem when teams cloud the inside.

Case doesn't have a nfl arm. He can't drive the ball outside the numbers. Basically,the offense would be limited on routes just like it is now. That's a problem when teams cloud the inside.
Now you're just flaunting your ignorance. Case made several big time NFL throws in PS. I guess your next argument will be that it was against 2nd stringers or worst. Well, his offense was 2nd stringers or worse, also.

Case hit receivers in stride at all ranges in the PS, regardless of the level of talent. Go back and watch the PS games. Case kicked ass every bit as much as Schaub or Yates did.

I've seen so many under thrown passes by schaub. case doesn't have an nfl arm? you still judging from the combine? lol apparently you haven't noticed he's actually got the strongest arm among the 3 let alone the best footwork and killer instincts.

what case is missing is the chance. believe me, case isn't going to throw an interception every game like MS has. and I'm a big schaub fan.

its not going to happen right now cus we have not played our divison games

jags titans colts obvs if we win our divison games then all would be well

Actually, Kubiak not being conservative was the problem today. With 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the Texans started a drive relative deep in their territory. the 1st two plays were passes that failed. Kubiak, especially considering the Texans had been overall effective running the ball, not put the ball in schuab's hands. Would have killed another minute or so of clock.

On the backbreaking interception, that was a 3rd and two/three. Again, a situation where either just running the ball while boring, would have either ran clock or forced Seattle to use a timeout.

The problem today was that Kubes relied on schuab, not went all "conservative."

Kubes was not the issue today. I saw so many 4 wide receiver sets I was practically begging Kubes to run the ball more.

We have three glaring issues on offense today. They are -

1) Matt Schaub - simply not the man. We know that. He can't even do a Dilfer and game-manage us to the big time. We draft a QB next year unless Yates/Keenum end up being the answer.

2) Offensive Line - We miss Duane Brown. Wade Smith needs to go (and will go, I suspect). Draft and with the return of Quessenbery and Brennan Williams should address this

3) Speed - we need more. We need one guy who can just take the top off a defense.

Actually, Kubiak not being conservative was the problem today. With 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the Texans started a drive relative deep in their territory. the 1st two plays were passes that failed. Kubiak, especially considering the Texans had been overall effective running the ball, not put the ball in schuab's hands. Would have killed another minute or so of clock.

On the backbreaking interception, that was a 3rd and two/three. Again, a situation where either just running the ball while boring, would have either ran clock or forced Seattle to use a timeout.

The problem today was that Kubes relied on schuab, not went all "conservative."

the drive before the pick six I think we went 3 and out and I was saying we need to run the ball just 3 times and if we have to punt we have to punt

well we didn't we passed all 3 downs and went 3 and out that's when there was like 3:40 on the clock

im not even a coach and I knew this play calling was sooooo simple just run the ball try and get a first down and if u don't well then o well PUNT right there would not have been the end of the world

Back