Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Does either Yates or Keenum give you a better chance to win that Schaub.

Does either Yates or Keenum give you a better chance to win that Schaub.

• Yes , Yates

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Yes , Keenum

Votes: 76 45.2%
  • NO

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • TexanBill for QB!

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The major thing that Keenum or Yates gives us is the unknown which has great value for us fans. I am not sure what value that has in an NFL lockerrom.

The NFL lockerroom...hmmm. I'm thinking these guys are human, too, regardless of the party line. I'm willing to bet nearly every man on the defense and a good bit of offensive players are not stupid and they have lost a lot of faith in Schaub. It's only human to question... and if they are NOT questioning then something is more wrong than we thought.

Case doesn't have a nfl arm. He can't drive the ball outside the numbers. Basically,the offense would be limited on routes just like it is now. That's a problem when teams cloud the inside.

Schaub's arm strength is less of a problem than the fact that he's a high functioning retard.

C'mon, I'm as tired of Schaub as anybody but singing the praises of Keenum like you have, well, lets just wait until he actually plays in a real NFL game against real NFL starters with real defensive coordinators scheming against him.

i've seen enough between college, camp, and preseasons to be very confident in my support of keenum. i may be wrong, may be right, we wont know how far his skills will take him until case gets his shot. i dont think defensive coordinator's scheming him really matters though since we'd run basically the same offense - and more since kubiak would allow some designed scrambles. the quarterback just has to execute the offense and we are extremely tough to beat, i think keenum is the best equipped player on the squad to do that.

i think one hidden bonus to keenum is that he likely has a much better rapport with the backup receivers than schaub. it's one thing to find a wide open andre johnson, it's another to bang one to martin or jean on 3rd down. schaub cant seem to hit anyone but andre and the tightends - outside of a few floaters to nuk.

Key word in your reply is "much" and we don't need much. We need minimal improvement in pocket movement and 1 less interception a game. If we get a 6 yard run here or ther it's monumentally better than the one 5 yard gain we've gotten from Schaub.

Seeing a lot of opinions equivalent to this and there is one HUGE assumption in it - that whoever replaces Schaub has the same level of play on the non-running plays. It isn't likely to eliminate or even lessen the sacks. Mobile QBs tend to take as many or more sacks. For example Wilson took 5 sacks on 23 attempts while Schaub took 4 sacks on 49 attempts. So the focus there is on the broken plays and turning some into extended time to throw and some into positive rushing gains instead of incomplete passes. How much that adds other than less frustration at immobility is pure conjecture. Are either of them going to do that and give the 262 yds 2 TDs (and yes knowing he also averages 1 INT per game) that Schaub plugs along very consistently with? Yes I would expect improvement but last time TJ was in there he averaged .5 TDs, .5 INTs and 158 ypg. That is a lot of improvement to get in the same ball park and frankly I just don't see his legs making up for it. Keenum looked good in preseason and if a replacement were to go in I would prefer him. But I think it is too early. Among all his poke the bear posts today TK did have a valid point - on a crappy day Schaub went up against the #1 pass D which was giving up 147 ypg and 1 TD in three games and put up 355 yds and 2 TDs. The Seahawks were also nabbing 1.67 INTs per game. I would stick with Schaub for now. If at the halfway mark we are at 4-4 then put Keenum in to show he can handle it and gain the experience to head into next year with a head of steam.

Seeing a lot of opinions equivalent to this and there is one HUGE assumption in it - that whoever replaces Schaub has the same level of play on the non-running plays. It isn't likely to eliminate or even lessen the sacks. Mobile QBs tend to take as many or more sacks. For example Wilson took 5 sacks on 23 attempts while Schaub took 4 sacks on 49 attempts. So the focus there is on the broken plays and turning some into extended time to throw and some into positive rushing gains instead of incomplete passes. How much that adds other than less frustration at immobility is pure conjecture. Are either of them going to do that and give the 262 yds 2 TDs (and yes knowing he also averages 1 INT per game) that Schaub plugs along very consistently with? Yes I would expect improvement but last time TJ was in there he averaged .5 TDs, .5 INTs and 158 ypg. That is a lot of improvement to get in the same ball park and frankly I just don't see his legs making up for it. Keenum looked good in preseason and if a replacement were to go in I would prefer him. But I think it is too early. Among all his poke the bear posts today TK did have a valid point - on a crappy day Schaub went up against the #1 pass D which was giving up 147 ypg and 1 TD in three games and put up 355 yds and 2 TDs. The Seahawks were also nabbing 1.67 INTs per game. I would stick with Schaub for now. If at the halfway mark we are at 4-4 then put Keenum in to show he can handle it and gain the experience to head into next year with a head of steam.
Do you even watch the games anymore?

you can't put keenum. he's 3rd.

Well, unless the depth chart got chiseled in stone at the league office or something, yes you can. Hell, the Browns just did it a couple weeks ago. Skipped right over their backup in favor of the 3rd stringer. Shocking. :yawn:

on a crappy day Schaub went up against the #1 pass D which was giving up 147 ypg and 1 TD in three games and put up 355 yds and 2 TDs. The Seahawks were also nabbing 1.67 INTs per game.

I'm going to be sick if either the Colts (next week) or the Titans (the week after) manage to beat the Seahawks with less impressive stats.

No lie.... no poke the bear anything.. but my head will explode.

Well, unless the depth chart got chiseled in stone at the league office or something, yes you can. Hell, the Browns just did it a couple weeks ago. Skipped right over their backup in favor of the 3rd stringer. Shocking. :yawn:
I would LOVE to see Keenum start, but I realize that Kubiak won't allow that to happen, barring injury to Yates. That's why I'm in full Yates Support Mode now. Yates at least adds some mobility and arm strength to the equation. Plus he has played in some pressure situations.

It would be awesome to see Keenum go out balling a full game plan with Kubiak ready to cut him loose( I had to bold that because I missed an O in a previous post and got called out on it) to toss the rock and play his game..

Go back to spamming every thread repeating yourself like a petulant child. Everyone including their dead grandmothers knows you think Schaub sucks. Just keep at it and put an asterisk on it such as.

* Don't bother responding to me or I will insult you, put my fingers in my ears and cry for my diaper to be changed.

I would LOVE to see Keenum start, but I realize that Kubiak won't allow that to happen, barring injury to Yates.

Oh, I don't expect anything like that to happen. I expect Schaub will play every game for which he's healthy and the mistakes will be shuffled off into an offseason decision.

I'd be in favor of starting Keenum now. He may not be ready, but he can develop into a quality starter, probably fairly soon since he studies the game. Nothing would be lost since Schaub can't get the job done. And Schaub has no potential for improvement.

I've seen so many under thrown passes by schaub. case doesn't have an nfl arm? you still judging from the combine? lol apparently you haven't noticed he's actually got the strongest arm among the 3 let alone the best footwork and killer instincts.

what case is missing is the chance. believe me, case isn't going to throw an interception every game like MS has. and I'm a big schaub fan.

I was at camp a lot, and there is no doubt yates has the best arm of the 3 and its not even close. The dude is a dink and dunk passer. When he plays,if he plays,the defense will play him like they play schaub because he can't throw outside the numbers. So the teams will cloud the middle and make him throw outside of the numbers with velocity or accuracy.

I was attempted to choose TexanBill. However, I just came to reality in time. If there's Yates or Keenum but no Schaub, I will choose this one.

i've seen enough between college, camp, and preseasons to be very confident in my support of keenum. i may be wrong, may be right, we wont know how far his skills will take him until case gets his shot. i dont think defensive coordinator's scheming him really matters though since we'd run basically the same offense - and more since kubiak would allow some designed scrambles. the quarterback just has to execute the offense and we are extremely tough to beat, i think keenum is the best equipped player on the squad to do that.

i think one hidden bonus to keenum is that he likely has a much better rapport with the backup receivers than schaub. it's one thing to find a wide open andre johnson, it's another to bang one to martin or jean on 3rd down. schaub cant seem to hit anyone but andre and the tightends - outside of a few floaters to nuk.

I completely agree with this here, I'd much rather be proven completely wrong on this one than never find out as well.

I don't have a problem with Kubiak on this, yet. He's stood by his man up until this point, and I don't think you could really say that it was obvious that Schaub wasn't going to recover up until this point.

Now is the time for change, not the end of this season, not the end of last season, or the one before that, it's right now. Schaub has been given his fair chance and failed, lets move on.

I'm seeing the same pattern emerging as happened with Carr, the flashes of potential but when it really comes down to it, this guy is now sine handedly losing games.

Remember how much better the oline looked without a scared QB to protect? It'll happen again. My season expectations at this point have changed to accomodate a flyer on a young QB, this ain't a Super Bowl season and one and done in the playoffs no longer cuts it as success, even if we make the playoffs.

I get and understand what you are saying. So, let me set my calendar to start watching again at game 9. I am tired of watching the same old Schaub. He is so dang predictable I can usually tell what wiil happen as soon as the ball is snapped. This is getting pretty boring.

Even though he is painfully mediocre, Matt Schaub is still an NFL QB.

Yates barley qualifies as one. And, sorry UH fanboys, but Keenum may not be an NFL QB at all.

The Texans will still make the playoffs, so you can forget drafting a franchise guy. I guess we would have Josh Freeman or Mark Sanchez to look forward to in the offseason.

Schuab plays like a back up. While backing up Dog-boy (Vick) in Atlanta he DREAMED of being a starter, unfortunately once he attained his dream he didn't aspire to be the starter on a championship team. He seems content with 3 and outs. He doesn't seem to inspire his O-line to be willing to die for him. He doesn't fire up his troops.

The best way to describe him would be like Butch in the rape scene in Pulp Fiction. He kicks in the door and dispatches of rapist #2 with a katana then threatens rapist #1 to stop him from making it to the 44 in his gunbelt. They're having a stand off when they hear the distinct sound of a shotgun being loaded and Marcellus saying "Step aside Butch" before knee capping his rapist.
My point? Schaub is GOOD against unarmed/unprepared/distracted rapist #2 and can buy you some time against rapist #1 until ced scuzball figures out how to get to his gun but in the end if scuzball #1 gets to his gun Butch is a dead man. Butch's JOB is to buy Marcellus time to pull up his pants and get the shot gun prior to knee capping the other guy and calling the guys from Compton with the pliers and blowtorches to get medieval.

Schaub is a career back up who is proving that he's a GREAT back up but NOT a starter. So on behalf of T.J. Yates, Keenum & several pissed off fans sick of seeing him throw one interception per game and 2 pick sixes in four games: (In best Ving Rhames voice) "Step aside Butch."

For the record...I voted for Bill!

No surprise Keenum is winning this poll...... fans are such texas college homers.....especially here.

Cody Carlson comes out of baylor...whole contigent of fans clamor for him to start over a HOF qb.....he gets his chance and he sucks

Bucky Richardson comes out of A&M...whole contigent of fans clamor for him to start over a HOF qb...he gets his chance and he sucks

VY comes out of UT in the draft......strong contigent of fans blast the texans for not drafting him..he sucks for 3 different teams..& yet you still have a contigent of fans (albeit smaller) wanting the texans to bring him in.

& here we are at the Case Keenum stage with all this. Sure, we've got a back up qb who's won a playoff game for the team already...but lets go ahead & start the undrafted guy with over him b/c he went to U of H...:mariopalm:

I can only imagine how it's going to be when Manziel declares for the draft...

there isn't a franchise Quarterback on this team. All three are about the same skill-wise...I may lean towards Keenum b/c of mobility, but at the end of the day, we need a franchise guy.

Good thing we drafted Travis Johnson over Aaron Rodgers when David Carr was our starter!

Matts biggest sell is that he runs the offense efficiently.

I think we can all agree that isn't the case anymore.

I think it's just as likely that he can turn it around as it is that Case or Yates can rally us to where we want to be. But I don't think it's going to happen if it's "his job to lose" & he doesn't lose it because "we're" being stubborn.

Bench him, hope that it has the effect we want & move on.

Can either one of them read a nickel blitz that even my mom could see? If so, then yes

Seriously! How could he not see that blitz?! It's absolutely ridiculous

And Kubiak...why the hell would you not run the ball

Posted before season started based on watching MS for too many years, TJ during his year and Case this year versus last year.

Obviously Matt has gone down since that time. This team has enough talent to make playoffs this year still. Remember the year I think 2009 that we had Foster on practice squad and Chris Brown as our power back. I think that would have been the 1st playoff year if Kubiak had mad change earlier.

3 Weeks Ago #788
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB (Yates named #2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tk I hear you but my take on MS is based on what I have seen since he has been here and what he really is. Also I agree 100% what you said about replacing MS but Kubiak I don't think will do that.

I posted this in a previous thread
"My take on MS is for the regular season games against the non elite teams I am ok with ms because you really don't need him to win game. As long as he manages game the Texans probably win. I think MS has the best chance of managing a game of the 3 QBs.

Against the elite teams you need the QB to do more and MS has a ceiling. We have seen it many times. The above is based on him playing like he did in the first 12 games last year. If he plays like he did at the end then I don't want him at all.

I think TJ has the same upside as MS a he gets more experience but not much more.

Case is the one I would want if we need the QB to win the game. I would not like him right now to get us to the playoffs because I think he will have lower lows but higher highs. He is not as consistent as MS but I think he has a chance to have a great game at times and carry a team. I really don't think MS has that in him.

Tough situation right now because MS is going to play and the other QB's get no experience so you have to ride MS in the playoffs and we win the game not because of MS does but what the rest of the team does.

Just my opinion. "

I think I understand more now what I meant after reading a SI article on How to beat Alabama and watching the UT vs BYU game.

Matt is maybe the least likely player to create, improvise, or make an unscheduled play. First he is possible the least physically gifted QB and he hasn't shown any ability to improvise if a play breaks down. Against lesser teams you can play that way and win. Against equal or better teams you can't play like that and win unless you have a dominating defense which we don't. We may have the most dominating defensive player but the defense as a whole is above average.

A good coach with good talent can come up with a way to stop a team. As Saban stated you can't scheme against a player that can make an unscheduled play. MS is maybe the least likely to make an unscheduled play and thus it is easier to scheme against the Texans because you do not need to account for MS. Just my opinion but I think TJ is very much like MS in that aspect. I would welcome the chance to see how TJ/CK would fare in real action but it won't happen unless MS is hurt.

In the regular season, as we saw last year you can get away with MS as QB. When the games really started to matter at the end of the season/playoffs we saw what happened.

Watching the UT vs BYU game hammered home what a multi talented QB has over a 1 dimension non athletic QB but really we see this fact every week.

Now to be fare to MS maybe GK has the handcuffs on MS but I think even if MS had a green light he does not have the ability to improvise.

Post too long and rambling now. I am out.
gafftop is online now Add to gafftop's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

I can only imagine how it's going to be when Manziel declares for the draft...

I get the impression that Manziel is kind of hated on this board, at least in the college section. We have more blind UT fanboys then we do A&M fanboys.

We do have a lot of UH fans. I didn't even know UH had fans until I came to this board.

No surprise Keenum is winning this poll...... fans are such texas college homers.....especially here.

It's only logical. While some people think Keenum will succeed, it's mostly because he's the only unknown. Schaub's clearly regressed, and Yates has done nothing to impress.

Matts biggest sell is that he runs the offense efficiently.

I think we can all agree that isn't the case anymore.

I think it's just as likely that he can turn it around as it is that Case or Yates can rally us to where we want to be. But I don't think it's going to happen if it's "his job to lose" & he doesn't lose it because "we're" being stubborn.

Bench him, hope that it has the effect we want & move on.

I'm starting to see that the offense runs Matt Schaub... literally and figuratively.

ok I am gonna throw gas all over this fire and light this mutha' F'n thread up!!!

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, not going through each page to look, BUT...

Josh Freeman.....

From what LZ was talking about in cap space and whatnot, releasing Schaub would be like a 500k hit, when all the number crunching is done...

Would I like to see the backups play, sure. Do I think they have a better chance winning, nope. I guess it will happen when the season is done as far as contention goes, is that now, nope.

What about him? He sucks worse than Schaub.

does he? or is it the offense he is in with Schiano? He is 25, got a strong arm and can move a hell of allot better than Schaub. Plus he will come cheap! Low risk Very high reward....

he gets in Kubiak's system, may change things for everybody...

It's only logical. While some people think Keenum will succeed, it's mostly because he's the only unknown. Schaub's clearly regressed, and Yates has done nothing to impress.

100% agree
But also look at progress of Keenum from 1st year to 2nd and Yates 1st to 2nd.
Keenum seemed to improve dramatically while Yates seemed to regress.

Also...the Browns just played their rookie QB who just beat the Bengals again.

So I'm not sure experience is in play here, especially with these stupid throws Schaub makes.

The sad thing is, on the drive after the pick 6...he does the SAME thing. THE SAME EXACT THING. Except he rolls left and not right, he's under pressure...what does he do? He throws it up for grabs and was lucky that Earl Thomas went up with one hand to knock it down instead of pick it off.

It's even sadder because apparently Kubiak can't trust him. Kubes is saying that in the postgame he should have called another play, that he should have ran it. He doesn't even realize it but with what he says then he basically says "I should have ran it because I can't trust my own QB to keep possession of the football anymore...even if WE do need 3 points."

Now I'm starting to understand why Kubiak goes into turtle shell mode with any kind of lead.

Hoyer isn't a rookie. He was Brady's backup for a few years before going to Arizona last year.

Cody Carlson comes out of baylor...whole contigent of fans clamor for him to start over a HOF qb.....he gets his chance and he sucks

Bucky Richardson comes out of A&M...whole contigent of fans clamor for him to start over a HOF qb...he gets his chance and he sucks

I wouldn't mind seeing if Keenum sucks, instead of having a bunch of know nothing internet jockeys tell me he will, like they have a crystal ball. I already know Matt Schaub sucks. {"He doesn't suck! Look at the stats!"} OK, he only sucks when the defense puts pressure on him. So if we can get those mean old defensive guys to count Three Mississippi before they rush, then I'm happy with Schaub.

As I said upthread, I don't expect that to happen, but it's a message board, so I can want whatever the hell I want.

100% agree
But also look at progress of Keenum from 1st year to 2nd and Yates 1st to 2nd.
Keenum seemed to improve dramatically while Yates seemed to regress.

He hasn't seen live bullets is the problem though. I am U of H alum & i want the guy to get his shot & succeed, i just don't think he's going to be that much different from what Schaub or Yates have done to this point...especially with our patchwork o-line as it is now.

You'll likely see more flash plays....plays Schaub simply can't make with his feet..........but likely just as many costly mistakes if not more.

He hasn't seen live bullets is the problem though. I am U of H alum & i want the guy to get his shot & succeed, i just don't think he's going to be that much different from what Schaub or Yates have done to this point...especially with our patchwork o-line as it is now.

You'll likely see more flash plays....plays Schaub simply can't make with his feet..........but likely just as many costly mistakes if not more.

You may be right, but you may be wrong. I would like to see him against live bullets. If he fails at least we know. Our patchwork line is one reason why it makes more sense. If our line was great Matt would possibly be OK. We need someone a little more mobile because of the patchwork line. Also I have said many times MS looks for 80 and if he is not open blindly throws to 81. I would like to see if Case sees the field better than Matt. I don't think Matt sees the field.

Remember when we moved up to get Tate because we really weren't sure about Foster because he just played the last few games? First Foster was better than Chris Brown and the Texans would possibly have made the playoffs that year not 2 years later. Second we basically wasted more than a 2nd round pick for a backup running back. Do we want to repeat that again because we refuse to let one/both backups play and see what we have.

Case for sure and probably TJ will change the whole attitude of the team even if for only a short time. MS to me seems to have a dark cloud around him.

I would love to have Gary and Matt mic'd up.

Bottom line is I don't think we have anything to lose and will gain something no matter what happens.

I wouldn't mind seeing if Keenum sucks, instead of having a bunch of know nothing internet jockeys tell me he will, like they have a crystal ball. I already know Matt Schaub sucks. {"He doesn't suck! Look at the stats!"} OK, he only sucks when the defense puts pressure on him. So if we can get those mean old defensive guys to count Three Mississippi before they rush, then I'm happy with Schaub.

As I said upthread, I don't expect that to happen, but it's a message board, so I can want whatever the hell I want.

Noboby has said he will definitely suck..........You gotta admit though, the percentages are stacked wwaaaayyyyy against him given how he got into the league, where he is on the depth chart, his lack of experience and a whole host of other factors....It's an educated guess grounded more in reality than you and everyone else's hopeful "Anybody but Schaub" mentality.

You may be right, but you may be wrong. I would like to see him against live bullets. If he fails at least we know. Our patchwork line is one reason why it makes more sense. If our line was great Matt would possibly be OK. We need someone a little more mobile because of the patchwork line. Also I have said many times MS looks for 80 and if he is not open blindly throws to 81. I would like to see if Case sees the field better than Matt. I don't think Matt sees the field.

Remember when we moved up to get Tate because we really weren't sure about Foster because he just played the last few games? First Foster was better than Chris Brown and the Texans would possibly have made the playoffs that year not 2 years later. Second we basically wasted more than a 2nd round pick for a backup running back. Do we want to repeat that again because we refuse to let one/both backups play and see what we have.

Case for sure and probably TJ will change the whole attitude of the team even if for only a short time. MS to me seems to have a dark cloud around him.

I would love to have Gary and Matt mic'd up.

Bottom line is I don't think we have anything to lose and will gain something no matter what happens.

I agree with mostly everything you said except the bolded parts...a patchwork o-line isn't good for any qb, mobile or not.

Furthermore i think right now is too early to look at starting keenum...imo the season has to be lost for him to get his shot....handle him much the same way we handled Arian. If he comes out on top next year in the preseason after open competition, fine. Yates deserves his shot 1st imo b/c the season is still salvageable.

I would like to see either or both instead of what we have now. Might be a disaster, but right now, I would rather see a new disaster then the one we have now.

While Yates is pretty mobile, and Keenum very mobile, you don't HAVE to be mobile to be successful. While the game has certainly moved that direction the last few years, if mobility was the end all/be all, Tom Brady and Payton Manning would be watching football from the comfort of their easy chairs.

And don't give me the BS about a better line. Manning lost Clady, and Brady has an average line. And watching that game last night just about made me puke my cookies. Brady has a bunch of nobody's at all the skill positions and somehow he torches Atlanta. The freaking guy has an average line, is a complete statue, and has no weapons and gets it freaking done.

Our guy has more toys than Hugh Hefner on his 80th birthday, and he doesn't use most of them and the ones he does...he screws it up. Again, mobility is a nice asset, but can anyone tell me what this offense looks like with Manning or Brady under center...both of whom are no more mobile than MS?

It's mostly on Schaub, but I'm not letting Kubiak get off totally scot free. I'm sick of his lame ass too. We need to package them to Outer Mongolia in exchange for a camel and a goat.

Anyone got some pink soap? :kitten:

Noboby has said he will definitely suck..........You gotta admit though, the percentages are stacked wwaaaayyyyy against him given how he got into the league, where he is on the depth chart, his lack of experience and a whole host of other factors....It's an educated guess grounded more in reality than you and everyone else's hopeful "Anybody but Schaub" mentality.

At this point, what's wrong with ABS? Well, that's not exactly true. I don't see any point in going to Yates or Freeman for that matter.

But I think you need to find out if Keenum has the ability prior to spending a first round pick on a QB in the off-season.

Rolling with Schaub means we limp to a mediocre record, wind up on the road in the playoffs (if we even get there) and get ousted. Schaub is worse next year and we're hopeless next year.

Actually more than a few people have said that.

The percentages may be stacked against him, but the percentages don't look any better with Schaub, do they? Furthermore, if you play him and find out he sucks, it helps the future decision making process.

In all actuality, I want to see Schaub benched for a game, or a half, or hell, even a series. I don't necessarily want to switch QBs mid-season. That's likely a recipe for disaster. But at this point, playing Schaub looks like a recipe for 8-8, which is worse, IMO. At this point in time, with the way this team is built, either be great or take the next future step toward being bad. Keenum is that next future step, IMO. He either succeeds or he tells you all you need to know about the position going forward.

Actually more than a few people have said that.

The percentages may be stacked against him, but the percentages don't look any better with Schaub, do they? Furthermore, if you play him and find out he sucks, it helps the future decision making process.

In all actuality, I want to see Schaub benched for a game, or a half, or hell, even a series. I don't necessarily want to switch QBs mid-season. That's likely a recipe for disaster. But at this point, playing Schaub looks like a recipe for 8-8, which is worse, IMO. At this point in time, with the way this team is built, either be great or take the next future step toward being bad. Keenum is that next future step, IMO. He either succeeds or he tells you all you need to know about the position going forward.

As many have already said, If Schaub with no upside continues to make rookie mistakes..........& that pick yesterday is the epitome of a rookie mistake, then you may as well let Yates....or Keenum get in there & do the same things b/c at least they do have the potential for upside.

My big concern with starting Keenum or Yates is that it in effect has the potential to reset Kubiak's clock on his tenure here.....and i firmly believe that he's as much the problem as Schaub is.

People have to remember that it was McNair who forced Gary to bring Wade in here...If not for McNair putting his foot down, Gary may very well have brought another one of his buddies in here. I say that to say that McNair is ultimately the guy who has to make the decision to fire Gary and move in another direction.

Now If Keenum or Yates get in there, muddy the waters in any way & this team has success, but neither of them really impresses, McNair may stand pat & give Gary another 2-3 years to do the same **** he's done for the last 8.

That simply cannot happen....fire the HC & get a new HC in here with a new philosophy. The latter almost always comes with a new qb..No disrespect to Keenum or Yates, but i dont want to just hand them the job..they need to win it outright. Furthermore, this is the year to go after a qb in the draft so bring in a young stud to compete....If either of them win it, fine but we can't sabotage this season just yet.

As many have already said, If Schaub with no upside continues to make rookie mistakes..........& that pick yesterday is the epitome of a rookie mistake, then you may as well let Yates....or Keenum get in there & do the same things b/c at least they do have the potential for upside.

My big concern with starting Keenum or Yates is that it in effect has the potential to reset Kubiak's clock on his tenure here.....and i firmly believe that he's as much the problem as Schaub is.

People have to remember that it was McNair who forced Gary to bring Wade in here...If not for McNair putting his foot down, Gary may very well have brought another one of his buddies in here. I say that to say that McNair is ultimately the guy who has to make the decision to fire Gary and move in another direction.

Now If Keenum or Yates get in there, muddy the waters in any way & this team has success, but neither of them really impresses, McNair may stand pat & give Gary another 2-3 years to do the same **** he's done for the last 8.

That simply cannot happen....fire the HC & get a new HC in here with a new philosophy. The latter almost always comes with a new qb..No disrespect to Keenum or Yates, but i dont want to just hand them the job..they need to win it outright. Furthermore, this is the year to go after a qb in the draft so bring in a young stud to compete....If either of them win it, fine but we can't sabotage this season just yet.

I see the value in your overall post. As to the bolded, this is why I want to see Schaub benched for a short time, but not permanently. It sends the message that this crap is unacceptable, that anyone and everyone will be held accountable, and it gives the younger QBs a chance to show something, even if it's only for a half. If Schaub comes out focused after the reset, then the season will likely go well. If he doesn't, then you know even more than you did prior to the benching.

As for Kubiak in general, I have long been a detractor. I may even dredge up the Fire Kubiak thread, within which I have quite a few posts. But I'm going to defend the guy for a minute here. He's grown into the position. He sure as hell wasn't qualified at the beginning, but most of the things he did terribly before have improved - time management, challenges, and even being more aggressive. I'm willing to accept that he keeps the aggressiveness in check until he has no choice many times, simply because he can't trust his QB. So that leaves me with the #1 criticism I have and have had about Kubiak - this is his team. He built it. He hired everyone, including the GM. He keeps putting Schaub out there. When Jacoby Jones fumbled away the Ravens game, Kubiak kept putting him out there, and he kept screwing up (though not as bad as the first play). When Tate fumbled, he benched him the rest of the game. When Schaub throws crucial picks game after game after game, going into the collapse of last season, Kubiak keeps putting him out there with no accountability.

So in the end, I get what you're saying, but I think Kubiak could actually be a good HC going forward if he had a good QB. I do not know if I trust him to select that QB, however. So I'm torn. In many ways, I think he's more likely to stumble into a good QB (like Keenum could be, small chance) than he is to select one. He can improve any QB he gets, but the great ones have intangibles that Kubiak doesn't seem to be able to identify.

Back