Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Derek Stingley vs. Sauce Gardner

Some in here were very high on Salyer - @steelbtexan being the main one from memory.
There was some medical issue (back) that no one knew about Salyer. It hasn't been an issue for him, yet. Jawaan Taylor had a knee issue come up on his medicals a few years ago, and he dropped out of the 1st round. Taylor has never missed a game and just signed an $80 million FA deal. The draft is part talent evaluation, part risk management. Some get it right, or just get lucky.

No one was first round pick high on him. Steelb wanted Green in the first couple and Salyer was way down the list.
Incorrect sir, know for a fact Steeb was big on Salyer & wanted him in 2nd rd.

To be fair to Keynon, he was in my Charger bucket along with Zion whom they selected #17. Somewhat disappointing as well but not out of first round bad. In redraft, Baumgardner had Cross instead as pick, but in real draft already selected #9 by Seattle (who had three hits in redraft 1st rd. hits as did Jets & we all know KC won Superbowl with 7 rookies, that’s when leap jump over your contemporaries via draft). The OT Chargers coveted was Lucas (redraft #9) gone three picks before Chargers 3rd rounder, who was a huge reach (Woods). Telesco is no better than Caserio, both should be replaced, although Petrie #23, whom I’ve stated repeatedly was a great selection.

No one was first round pick high on him. Steelb wanted Green in the first couple and Salyer was way down the list.
Incorrect sir, know for a fact Steeb was big on Salyer & wanted him in 2nd rd.
Not to go off on a tangent, but @steelbtexan was Salyer's greatest champion. Initially thought Salyer was a 2nd round pick, but vacillated as draft ranking began to put Salyer in the 3rd round range. This was @steelbtexan first post about Salyer.
Then get Salyer and the best Edge you can find in the 2nd (Jermaine Johnson would be my guy.

One year later leading up to the 2023 NFL Draft, Nick Baumgardner of the Athletic just posted a redraft of 2022. Here is how, in retrospect, it fell. I’ll just copy & paste the top 15 for Texan purposes -

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
Original pick: Travon Walker, Edge, Georgia

It didn’t take very long before Gardner not only looked like the best rookie but arguably the best cornerback in the NFL, regardless of age. The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder can do everything — either on an island or in zone — and is the prototype for the modern CB1 moving forward. This is the easiest pick in hindsight.

2. Detroit Lions: Aidan Hutchinson, Edge, Michigan
Original pick: Aidan Hutchinson, Edge, Michigan

If it weren’t for Gardner’s special rookie year, Hutchinson (whom the Lions also picked in real life, obviously) would have been the Defensive Rookie of the Year without much argument. He showed a bit of what he can do for a defense in his first year — pass rush, run defense, pass coverage — and should continue to improve. Detroit got exactly what it wanted.

3. Houston Texas: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
Original pick: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

Is this high for a receiver? Maybe, but there weren’t three better first-year players last season than Wilson. You could argue there weren’t two. Wilson played for a Jets team that had no serious answer at quarterback and still put together a marvelous rookie campaign with 1,103 receiving yards and 22 forced missed tackles — the latter placing him second only to Deebo Samuel among full-time starting receivers.

4. New York Jets: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon
Original pick: Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

Starting the year injured was hardly ideal, and it pushed Thibodeaux’s rookie-hiccup stage deeper into the season than the Giantswould’ve liked. However, he found a groove toward the middle of the year, especially after a nine-pressure game at Dallas on Thanksgiving. Despite the delayed start, Thibodeaux still finished with 45 pressures, third most among rookie edges.

5. New York Giants: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
Original pick: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon

It’s debatable whether Olave should be above Wilson. The pair played on the same college team, shared reps and learned how to be pros by challenging each other. Both were outstanding as rookies, too. Olave, who took reps all over the Saints’ offensive formations, led all major rookie contributors with 2.42 yards per route run and also logged a 14.9-yard average depth of target. A true weapon.

6. Carolina Panthers: Tyler Smith, OL, Tulsa
Original pick: Ikem Ekwonu, OL, N.C. State

It’s hard to briefly summarize just how impressive Smith’s performance was as a rookie. The Cowboys drafted him at No. 24 to be a guard, but he wound up starting Week 1 at left tackle and never really looked back. Though there may be quibbles with who the top rookie offensive lineman was last season, it’s impossible to argue against Smith being one of the biggest steals (perhaps the biggest steal) in last year’s draft.

7. New York Giants: Ikem Ekwonu, OL, NC State
Original pick: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

We’ll say the Giants, so far, went 1-for-2 in the top 10 (more on that in a bit). In this redraft, the Giants already grabbed a receiver (Olave), so we move to the next OT on my list — which is still Ekwonu, who falls just one spot from his original pick. The 22-year-old had an up-and-down rookie year, but that was expected by anyone familiar with his college film. His traits are still undeniable, though. He had his flashes and really found a groove in the middle of the year before wearing down a bit late.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Drake London, WR, USC
Original pick: Drake London, WR, USC

The Falcons get (mock) rewarded for making a great pick last year. The top receiver trio here could be pretty memorable if health and quarterbacks cooperate over time. London, after fighting off a preseason injury, was consistently very good for an Atlanta team that’s still figuring out what it wants to do at QB. He finished the year with a contested-catch rate of 53.8 percent — a shade behind the 54.5 clip Justin Jefferson posted as a rookie in 2020 — while being targeted 114 times. London, too, could’ve been the pick at No. 3 here.

9. Seattle Seahawks: Abe Lucas, OT, Washington State
Original pick: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

Well, this is awkward — Cross and Lucas are teammates in Seattle. That happened because the Seahawks grabbed Lucas at No. 72, and that has been a real steal. Wherever you slot him among the 2022 rookie tackles, you have to admit that Lucas massively outperformed his draft slot. The case could be made that Seattle would still take Cross here, as his upside could still be better, but Lucas was the better of the two last season. Either way, it’s great news for the Seahawks, who still have both guys in real life.

10. New York Jets: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
Original pick: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

Stingley’s rookie year is tough to grade. A foot injury cost him part of his final year at LSU, then a hamstring injury shut him down after just nine games of his rookie season. What’d we learn in those nine games? First, Stingley looked very much like a prospect still overcoming an injury, even when he was “healthy.” Yet he still very much moved like the player we saw during his best days in college. Don’t give up on his potential.

11. Washington Commanders: Travon Walker, Edge, Georgia
Original pick: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
Speaking of not giving up on people …

Walker’s traits are why he was drafted No. 1. As with Ekwonu, most viewed Walker as a player who would need time to develop, especially in terms of his skill set as a pass rusher. He played with a stacked deck at Georgia, and his responsibilities were limited in part because there was so much depth. You’d like to see him be more consistent versus the run as he improves everything else, but Walker’s growth was always going to be a bit slower than that of Hutchinson or Thibodeaux just based on where he was as a prospect on draft day.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA
Original pick: Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama (to Detroit via trade)

Should Minnesota have traded this pick? Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see how the returns pan out over time.

Woolen (No. 153, Seattle) outplayed his draft spot, perhaps more than any player on this list. He should not have fallen to the fifth round. He played at a small school and switched over from receiver midway through his career, so there was a lot to be scared about. But he’s also 6-4, 205 and ran a 4.29-second 40 with a 42-inch vert and a broad jump of 10 feet 11 inches. Every Power 5 coach in America whiffed on this guy — and so did every NFL team (at least once or twice) last year.

13. Philadelphia Eagles: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
Original pick: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

McDuffie, the former Washington Huskiesstar, was sticky in coverage all season for the Chiefs and played a big part in their Super Bowl run. He can still improve in some areas (62.1 percent catch rate against), but he just doesn’t let pass catchers get anything beyond the absolute minimum after a grab. His 10.1 yards per reception against was actually better than Gardner’s (10.6).

14. Baltimore Ravens: Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
Original pick: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Linderbaum looked awesome (once he was healthy) as a rookie center in Baltimore. The former Iowa star was a perfect fit — and a steal at 25 — for the Ravens and had stretches in which he looked like a future Pro Bowler. He wasn’t quite on Creed Humphrey’s level as a rookie, but he also was not too far behind as a run blocker.

15. Houston Texans: Jamaree Salyer, OL, Georgia
Original pick: Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M

Many, many people were down on Salyer coming out of college because of how he’s built (6-3, 321), his issues with keeping his weight down and his general inconsistency. This is also where I tell you The Athletic’s Dane Brugler thought Salyer was a second-round talent and had a chance to outperform that stock immediately. He was right — though even Dane must have been a bit surprised to see how well Salyer performed at tackle after the Chargers lost Rashawn Slater. At No. 195, Salyer was one of the best picks of the 2022 draft — right up there with Woolen.
Kenyon Green fell out of the first round oof; here's the other relevant ones

A redraft is by definition hindsight. They will do another in a couple of years and that will be hindsight. Eventually, everything is judged based upon hindsight.

I know you didn't mention day 3 picks. Trading those picks for special teamers or guys you cut in camp is just a pet peeve of mine. I used your post to interject my thoughts. I hope you're OK with that, because I'll probably do something like that again.

No, you made a valid point. Didn't mean to run so quickly past it in my faux outrage over these types of articles. Taking a guy 65 picks from the back of the draft to #15 is just bad journalism. Especially considering it was one year and he had a pretty unique circumstance. But we are here talking about it, which I guess was the point.

Day 3 picks, with the right expectation (depth with a lucky pick sprinkled in now and then), are a big part of a rebuild. I think Caserio would rather have fewer picks but more premium picks. We've seen that in the last two drafts. Will see what he does this round.

Yearly checks are fine if that’s your thing. Think top 2 will continue to trend higher, confirming draft grades.

Two very important factors in grading, to me, is position & traits. All of these in redraft exercise are exemplary positions (excluding only one QB, Pickett who remained the pick @ #20) Edge, CB, WR & OL. However position alone cannot help you, if traits don’t match, causing “the reach” best example from 2022 is Trevor Penning. Would have croaked if Chargers took him #17 (went #19 to Saints). All kinds of could have, would haves but that all in the fun of NFL draft process.

Feel frozen this year for Texans, not one single mock (not counting PFF 😂) seems more like a game of cat and mouse. See which one blinks first.

Yearly checks are fine if that’s your thing. Think top 2 will continue to trend higher, confirming draft grades
Eh...

They're good to read in a slow offseason. But like you said in the rest of your post, did the team get better? That's the bottom line.

Yeah, the Raiders got the best player in the draft, but what did they do with him?

Nothing.

The Rams arguably got the best player in that draft, what did they do with it?

They won a Super Bowl. Aaron Donald did his part, but the Rams Super Bowl had a lot more to do than just drafting Donald.

Eh...

They're good to read in a slow offseason. But like you said in the rest of your post, did the team get better? That's the bottom line.

Yeah, the Raiders got the best player in the draft, but what did they do with him?

Nothing.

The Rams arguably got the best player in that draft, what did they do with it?

They won a Super Bowl. Aaron Donald did his part, but the Rams Super Bowl had a lot more to do than just drafting Donald.
The best player in the draft does not mean a result. It does increase the chances of getting a result, though. A lot depends on the player. But a lot also depends on the team.

Little bit of reading before the draft last year was about it. Looked at a very short list of highlights and still hadn't completely decided whether I was interested in the Texans again yet (A yearly exercise for me for almost a decade now). I would have picked Gardner without hesitation and have been bitching about that non-pick ever since.

I might have very well made the same pick of Greene. I was thinking OL but didn't know anyone on the board. I just knew we needed help on the line so I was thinking "Highest rated OL available". Like the Houston Texans I took the draft off for most of Bill O'Brien's tenure.

PFF just came out with their 2023 preseason CB rankings and unfortunately Stingley not included in top 32. No reason given, but would assume it’s due to missing too many games with hamstring injury? Certainly his play, when on the field would rank fairly high.

No surprise who is ranked #1 off his outstanding rookie season.

1. SAUCE GARDNER, NEW YORK JETS
Gardner hit the ground running in the NFL and was the best cornerback in the game during his rookie season. He allowed a 53.9 passer rating, and just 45.9% of passes thrown into his coverage were caught by their intended receiver. We know coverage in general, and cornerback play in particular, is highly volatile, so Gardner could regress in 2023. But there is no obvious lockdown cornerback who belongs atop this list in his place.

PFF just came out with their 2023 preseason CB rankings and unfortunately Stingley not included in top 32. No reason given, but would assume it’s due to missing too many games with hamstring injury? Certainly his play, when on the field would rank fairly high.

No surprise who is ranked #1 off his outstanding rookie season.

1. SAUCE GARDNER, NEW YORK JETS
Gardner hit the ground running in the NFL and was the best cornerback in the game during his rookie season. He allowed a 53.9 passer rating, and just 45.9% of passes thrown into his coverage were caught by their intended receiver. We know coverage in general, and cornerback play in particular, is highly volatile, so Gardner could regress in 2023. But there is no obvious lockdown cornerback who belongs atop this list in his place.

While I think Stingley has the ability to be really good. I still don't know if he was the right choice compared to Sauce. Hope year 2 puts him in the same tier.

The “new era” made the move(s) the “old era” could not. Ask yourself, would “new era” have selected Stingley over Sauce? The debate still rages, but I’d say DeMeco would have gotten it right. IMO

:logo:

I would say that Rick Smith would have made better draft picks than Casserly in the expansion era and the Texans would have already won a SB because of it.

It's not reality, but since we can redo drafts let's just redo seasons based on who could have been in charge versus actually who was and give ourselves a few Lombardis.

Also, how do we know that DeMeco would have gotten it right? He has zero history of success as a HC in the NFL and is on record with what are two very big boom/bust selections based on the draft capital spent on them. How about we actually let him prove that he knows how to make the right decisions before we start with the revisionist history.

If you partition off the draft day decision making from judging the player we have on our roster, I see plenty to be optimistic about in Stingley’s rookie play and I love the fact that he’s worked his bollocks off in the offseason to put on a stone of muscle and come back even faster than before.

The “new era” made the move(s) the “old era” could not. Ask yourself, would “new era” have selected Stingley over Sauce? The debate still rages, but I’d say DeMeco would have gotten it right. IMO

:logo:
I would say, it is not definitive that the Texans got it wrong. We're talking one year.

If you partition off the draft day decision making from judging the player we have on our roster, I see plenty to be optimistic about in Stingley’s rookie play and I love the fact that he’s worked his bollocks off in the offseason to put on a stone of muscle and come back even faster than before.
How optimistic are you about the degeneration of his injury and the increasing arthritic condition that CloakNNNdagger has repeatedly posted? How man seasons do you optimistically think Stingley has?

Got it. First I heard Gardner was a generational talent.

What is generational? Every 10 year type of elite talent? 20 years? 30 years? How about 40 years? Gardner was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and was the first rookie cornerback since Ronnie Lott in 1981 to be named first-team All-Pro. Was Ronnie Lott generational? Did you even watch Ronnie Lott play?

Rules had to be changed to protect defenseless receivers, because of formidable headhunting corners like Lott. Since then, CB’s have to target the ball in flight & catch-point to defeat the routes which he has already proven to be the best. Sauce is all of 6-3 200lbs with loose hips and 79”+ wingspan with 4.4 speed. What I would call the extra-curricular hand fighting for position, thought to be liability he has turned into his signature skill set the WR’s cannot help but retaliate and usually wind up losing.

One attribute all the great ones possess is that mental toughness, acceptance of responsibility with a chip to prove oneself over every obstacle and impose your will on opponents.

How optimistic are you about the degeneration of his injury and the increasing arthritic condition that CloakNNNdagger has repeatedly posted? How man seasons do you optimistically think Stingley has?
I’d never bet against CnD’s analysis on any injury, as much as I might be hoping he gets proven wrong! I’d be hopeful that Stingley can become great on his rookie contract and make it a difficult decision for the Texans to move on if they need to.

Very similar situation to Clowney I believe?

I suppose the first hurdle for Stingley is to turn the promise he flashed in a bad system and despite injury last season, he’s visibly attacked his offseason with the right attitude, let’s hope it translates into better play on the field.

What is generational? Every 10 year type of elite talent? 20 years? 30 years? How about 40 years? Gardner was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and was the first rookie cornerback since Ronnie Lott in 1981 to be named first-team All-Pro. Was Ronnie Lott generational? Did you even watch Ronnie Lott play?

Rules had to be changed to protect defenseless receivers, because of formidable headhunting corners like Lott. Since then, CB’s have to target the ball in flight & catch-point to defeat the routes which he has already proven to be the best. Sauce is all of 6-3 200lbs with loose hips and 79”+ wingspan with 4.4 speed. What I would call the extra-curricular hand fighting for position, thought to be liability he has turned into his signature skill set the WR’s cannot help but retaliate and usually wind up losing.

One attribute all the great ones possess is that mental toughness, acceptance of responsibility with a chip to prove oneself over every obstacle and impose your will on opponents.

I miss the days of Lott style football, instead of God'ell style football.

I'm not saying Sauce can't/won't be a generational talent. But how 'bout we play more than one season before resting that mantle on his shoulders.

I'm not saying Sauce can't/won't be a generational talent. But how 'bout we play more than one season before resting that mantle on his shoulders.

It’s just my projection, relax. I’m hoping for the best w/Stingley too. Would be historical in his own sense if can fully recover from Lisfranc injury. I think he will, but just hope no medical basis (unless Cloak can refute).

It’s just my projection, relax. I’m hoping for the best w/Stingley too. Would be historical in his own sense if can fully recover from Lisfranc injury. I think he will, but just hope no medical basis (unless Cloak can refute).

I'm hoping for a Matt Stafford type of career start. Miss games early on, then go a decade without missing one.

I'm hoping for a Matt Stafford type of career start. Miss games early on, then go a decade without missing one.
I’m with you. Remember being real high on that arm (Stafford) coming out but went to a real bad situation that couldn’t grasp protection issues (like Texans when they drafted Carr) but Stafford had elite arm strength.

Stingley is very polished skill wise. If healthy, think a better comparison would be Jalen Ramsey. Very smart and competitive, just dealing with unfortunate injury, but if anyone can recover he would be the prime example (I’m praying).

Sauce is cutting edge next evolution of NFL corner. Almost 6’4” 200 lbs and elite in every measurement. There was a comparable albeit much slighter build (Sauce light) I took some heat projecting to Texans with early 2nd (traded in package for Will Anderson) Emmanuel Forbes, a 6’2” 167 lb. corner out of Mississippi State. I would call it the “Sauce Effect” cause he went 16th overall.

Length with cat like quickness, smarts to read and react closing windows. Read he is killing it in OTA’s. No surprise to me. All true great corners earn their chops in press coverage, taking on #1’s and shutting them down. Sauce ran the gauntlet last year, all the biggies went down. Got personal, now he will be the one targeted. Makes for some great gamesmanship, honestly best seen live so you can catch extra curricular in one on ones before and after plays. Allow Stingley to play press, his strength, hopefully rehab and hamstring will hold up, can’t wait to see him play in live action again but this time in DeMeco’s defense.

I’m with you. Remember being real high on that arm (Stafford) coming out but went to a real bad situation that couldn’t grasp protection issues (like Texans when they drafted Carr) but Stafford had elite arm strength.

Stingley is very polished skill wise. If healthy, think a better comparison would be Jalen Ramsey. Very smart and competitive, just dealing with unfortunate injury, but if anyone can recover he would be the prime example (I’m praying).

Sauce is cutting edge next evolution of NFL corner. Almost 6’4” 200 lbs and elite in every measurement. There was a comparable albeit much slighter build (Sauce light) I took some heat projecting to Texans with early 2nd (traded in package for Will Anderson) Emmanuel Forbes, a 6’2” 167 lb. corner out of Mississippi State. I would call it the “Sauce Effect” cause he went 16th overall.

Length with cat like quickness, smarts to read and react closing windows. Read he is killing it in OTA’s. No surprise to me. All true great corners earn their chops in press coverage, taking on #1’s and shutting them down. Sauce ran the gauntlet last year, all the biggies went down. Got personal, now he will be the one targeted. Makes for some great gamesmanship, honestly best seen live so you can catch extra curricular in one on ones before and after plays. Allow Stingley to play press, his strength, hopefully rehab and hamstring will hold up, can’t wait to see him play in live action again but this time in DeMeco’s defense.

Sauce is like Prime Time was. A new breed of player who makes others change how they play. As well and more importantly height, weight, speed, agility and IQ. What was say 6' 185lbs becomes 6' 2"+ 200 to 220lbs with 4.4 speed.

Sauce is like Prime Time was. A new breed of player who makes others change how they play. As well and more importantly height, weight, speed, agility and IQ. What was say 6' 185lbs becomes 6' 2"+ 200 to 220lbs with 4.4 speed.
Of all the physical attributes that they may bring, it’s mental toughness which defines a great corner. Have no doubt about that either with Stingley.

I'd like to see that 6'3" long limbed CB matchup with 5'8" Tank Dell. Dell put up 152 yards on Cincinnati in 2021, and I don't think Sauce wanted any part of him.

You can't teach what Tank has. The speed is not the main issue. It's his sudden, quick twitch moves and route running. Very few can stay with him. As for speed, multiple players have his speed.

Barring injuries, yes mind set is key. But, it doesn't hurt to have a 6'3" DB cover a 6'4" WR instead of a 5' 11 DB.
New metrics for position have arrived for sure. The maturity, intelligence and polish of these “next generation” of corners is truly amazing. They have to be with influx of gifted WR’s you need all sizes & shapes to cover the ultra quick and fast.

Has anyone heard much about Stingley @ OTA’s? Would pay to see him work against Tank Dell….

New metrics for position have arrived for sure. The maturity, intelligence and polish of these “next generation” of corners is truly amazing. They have to be with influx of gifted WR’s you need all sizes & shapes to cover the ultra quick and fast.

Has anyone heard much about Stingley @ OTA’s? Would pay to see him work against Tank Dell….

Most I have heard is that he was looking bigger. After that I have only heard 1 or 2 mentions of him. No real details except he is practicing. That's either great news because he is healthy and/or bad new because he is not doing much. But, we also have heard very little on multiple players who are also apparently full go but not doing anything super amazing as of yet

I'd like to see that 6'3" long limbed CB matchup with 5'8" Tank Dell. Dell put up 152 yards on Cincinnati in 2021, and I don't think Sauce wanted any part of him.
Lucky I dunno if you remember posting prior to last years Draft (2022 Draft) that Stingley was in the conversation with Jalen Ramsey & Peterson (also from LSU) as among the great corners to come out of college in recent years ?

Lucky I dunno if you remember posting prior to last years Draft (2022 Draft) that Stingley was in the conversation with Jalen Ramsey & Peterson (also from LSU) as among the great corners to come out of college in recent years ?
I absolutely do. Here are my pre-draft comments regarding Stingley.
Stingley is one of the top 3 CB prospects of the past 20 years. If not for the foot injury, he would be strongly considered for #1 overall.
Opinions aren't known, they're believed. And yes, Peterson and Ramsey are the other CBs I'm referring to.
I think we have to wait until the league gets their eyes on Stingley at the combine.
No one has seen Stingley play recently. He won't participate at the combine. Won't be able to work out by his pro day. It's hard to build any momentum with all that going against you.

Some team at some point will pull the trigger on Stingley. They may get an unbelievable bargain. Or be stuck with damaged goods. Or somewhere in between. It's the unknown that is behind the drop.
Stingley and Thibodeaux flashed elite talent at premier positions as 18 year olds. But have not progressed, maybe even regressed, as they enter the draft.

I've always believed in the talent of Stingley. It's the injury concern. And that concern is still there.

I've always believed in the talent of Stingley. It's the injury concern. And that concern is still there.
OK thank you sir for confirming my recollection which is often off mark.
So now we have just a single year, a single chapter and the first chapter in the book of Daryl Stingley's NFL career, and
we will wait and see how how that career develops.

I agree with you. A Lisfranc injury is an injury that can kill a career. Some do overcome it and excel like Travis Kelce (I think it was him). Others end up in the NFL on multiple teams trying to get a foothold and they just can't cut it

Um.

Sprains can be tears. It's a matter of the severity of the sprain or strain, I think.
Correct, a sprain is technically a partial tear. Should heal without surgery.

If it requires surgery it's a complete tear that needs to be put back together.

Had Stingley not played on his sprain it most likely never would have developed into a tear & we'd be having a totally different conversation.

I am not a doctor. I do not play one on TV. I did not sleep at a holiday Inn.

Last edited:
Back