Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
From the quoted article @ your link:
Mills finished the 2021 regular season as the highest-graded rookie quarterback in my season-long series in which I watched all the drop-back throws from the first- and second-year quarterbacks and graded each game. The sixth quarterback picked in a super-hyped class was the best in Year 1. Imagine that.
While playing with only average athleticism, Mills is dangerous to opposing defenses because of his high-end arm talent and quality accuracy down the football field. He'll play similarly to how he did as a rookie -- with marked albeit small statistical improvement. While it won't be an encouraging enough season for Houston to shy away from a quarterback in the first round of the 2023 draft, Mills will play his way into a quarterback competition next season, maybe even on another team.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Source-

The Athletics Mike Sando article pulling opinions of 50 coaches in QB position poll (The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department

TIER 4
A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

27. Davis Mills
Pre-draft evaluations do not change overnight, but Mills did win over voters to a degree that was not foreseen when Houston used a 2021 third-round choice to select him.

“I love this kid,” a defensive coordinator who faced Mills said. “I think he is so poised. He stands in the pocket, he is able to deliver the ball. I think he knows where to go with the ball. He throws a pretty ball, he throws a catchable ball, he sees the field. He’s a 3.”

Mills had a lower expectations bar to clear than quarterbacks who entered the league as first-round picks, so he could be benefiting from a surprise factor. As in, Mills sure is impressive — for a third-round pick.

“Really like his composure,” a personnel director said. “He makes plays in the passing game. Doesn’t have the best arm but is an adequate passer. He reminds me of a better Andy Dalton.”

Again, if a top-five pick reminded someone of Dalton, it might be seen as a pejorative. A third-rounder becoming Dalton sounds better.

“How about all the hype on Davis Mills,” a former head coach said. “I just don’t see it.”

A personnel director called Mills “pretty interesting” for his anticipation and accuracy, suggesting Mills “is going to surprise a lot of people” this season.

“He’s done some good things,” a former GM said, “but doing good things when your team is no good, that is a whole different thing. He is still a 4 to me. I have yet to see legitimate starter.”

An offensive coach who questioned Mills’ durability and athletic movement entering the draft said he thought Mills had greater upside than Tagovailoa but lacked the support to fare as well this season.

“Liked him coming out in the draft,” a GM said. “If he turns into a Garoppolo, that wouldn’t shock me.”

grizzgolf

Practice Squad
Question would you pass up one of the two top QBs in the upcoming draft next year if Mills only wins 4-5 games?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Question would you pass up one of the two top QBs in the upcoming draft next year if Mills only wins 4-5 games?
Depends on how Mills looks.

I only expect them to win 4-5 games due to the SOS and theTexans lacking in talent.

Let me ask you,if you were the Jags and they only win 4-5 games would you look to move on from Lawrence and draft another QB high? Mills looked much better than Lawrence last season.

vtech9

All Pro
Depends on how Mills looks.

I only expect them to win 4-5 games due to the SOS and theTexans lacking in talent.

Let me ask you,if you were the Jags and they only win 4-5 games would you look to move on from Lawrence and draft another QB high? Mills looked much better than Lawrence last season.
Now, we're on the same wavelength here. I'll expand on that though...Would the other teams with 2nd year QB's move on? I mean, overall Mills was the 2nd best rookie last season, but over the last 5 games, he was the best, not to mention that he had the worst supporting cast of all of them. People are using the excuse that since Davis Mills was a 3rd round pick, being better than the 1st round QB's isn't enough...That looking good isn't enough. That no matter how many games the Texans win, unless they make it to the playoffs, it's not enough. It boggles my mind.

mws

Rookie
I can see both sides. Why waste our high draft choices if Mills is good enough. On the other hand how can we pass up the chance to get a franchise QB while we have multiple first round choices?

I know it is too much to hope for but it would really be nice that by the end of the season we had a clear path to take. With our luck Mills will be just good enough to muddy the waters.

With all that said I'm more excited about this season than I have been since Watson's rookie year. I can hardly wait for Saturday.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Source-

The Athletics Mike Sando article pulling opinions of 50 coaches in QB position poll (The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department

TIER 4
A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

27. Davis Mills
Pre-draft evaluations do not change overnight, but Mills did win over voters to a degree that was not foreseen when Houston used a 2021 third-round choice to select him.

“I love this kid,” a defensive coordinator who faced Mills said. “I think he is so poised. He stands in the pocket, he is able to deliver the ball. I think he knows where to go with the ball. He throws a pretty ball, he throws a catchable ball, he sees the field. He’s a 3.”

Mills had a lower expectations bar to clear than quarterbacks who entered the league as first-round picks, so he could be benefiting from a surprise factor. As in, Mills sure is impressive — for a third-round pick.

“Really like his composure,” a personnel director said. “He makes plays in the passing game. Doesn’t have the best arm but is an adequate passer. He reminds me of a better Andy Dalton.”

Again, if a top-five pick reminded someone of Dalton, it might be seen as a pejorative. A third-rounder becoming Dalton sounds better.

“How about all the hype on Davis Mills,” a former head coach said. “I just don’t see it.”

A personnel director called Mills “pretty interesting” for his anticipation and accuracy, suggesting Mills “is going to surprise a lot of people” this season.

“He’s done some good things,” a former GM said, “but doing good things when your team is no good, that is a whole different thing. He is still a 4 to me. I have yet to see legitimate starter.”

An offensive coach who questioned Mills’ durability and athletic movement entering the draft said he thought Mills had greater upside than Tagovailoa but lacked the support to fare as well this season.

“Liked him coming out in the draft,” a GM said. “If he turns into a Garoppolo, that wouldn’t shock me.”
1660072072958.gif
This is my face if those “former” HC and GM’s that gave negative opinions were someone like Mangini and/or Dave Gettleman….

Mangler

Toro de España
Now, we're on the same wavelength here. I'll expand on that though...Would the other teams with 2nd year QB's move on? I mean, overall Mills was the 2nd best rookie last season, but over the last 5 games, he was the best, not to mention that he had the worst supporting cast of all of them. People are using the excuse that since Davis Mills was a 3rd round pick, being better than the 1st round QB's isn't enough...That looking good isn't enough. That no matter how many games the Texans win, unless they make it to the playoffs, it's not enough. It boggles my mind.
I agree. Also, totally unrelated, but this (for some oddball reason) reminds me of last season when the news and lawsuits against Depredator Watson came out and a certain group of individuals demanded that everything went in Derapist’s favor. I remember a few posters here hoping and praying that the McNairs were forced to sell the team because they were “racist” and if they tries to “force” him to play, that Goodell step in and put Decosby on the CEL so he could sit and the Texans be forced to pay him. It’s like, they demanded for the Texans to get screwed no matter what. It’s like, no matter how graphic and disgusting the details it just had to be the Texans fault, because they just had to have framed him after he requested a trade! Mills, as the Texans, are damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I am going out on a limb and going to buy the small amount of hype out there.

We should start treating Davis Mills like he is a first round drafted QB. I have seen others refer to first round selections as franchise QBs as if it is expected and almost automatic.

If Mills had waited a year he would have been drafted in the first round. Had he waited a year, got more starts and had been drafted in the first people wouldn’t speculate that he has as low of a ceiling. He would have more hype around him.

Last year was like his senior year in college but in the NFL.

He ultimately had a HC and OC that were fired for a variety of reasons and yet he was still able to grow as a passer.

We have a talented crew around him to help him grow even further. He isn’t going to be a top 5 QB, but I could see he cracking into the top 10 over the next year or two years as more talent on the offense is put around him.

I don’t expect to see him implode, but I do expect to see some growing pains and struggle here and there. But he will show he can be a franchise QB.

I don’t think we will should be thinking of drafting a QB next year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am going out on a limb and going to buy the small amount of hype out there.

We should start treating Davis Mills like he is a first round drafted QB. I have seen others refer to first round selections as franchise QBs as if it is expected and almost automatic.

If Mills had waited a year he would have been drafted in the first round. Had he waited a year, got more starts and had been drafted in the first people wouldn’t speculate that he has as low of a ceiling. He would have more hype around him.

Last year was like his senior year in college but in the NFL.

He ultimately had a HC and OC that were fired for a variety of reasons and yet he was still able to grow as a passer.

We have a talented crew around him to help him grow even further. He isn’t going to be a top 5 QB, but I could see he cracking into the top 10 over the next year or two years as more talent on the offense is put around him.

I don’t expect to see him implode, but I do expect to see some growing pains and struggle here and there. But he will show he can be a franchise QB.

I don’t think we will should be thinking of drafting a QB next year.
I am not interested in when Mills was drafted or anything about his college. Also I am not going to compare him to those in his class or this year's college class that came out in 2022 draft. He does not have to be a top anything to evaluate his progress. I want to see him improve on his progressions and check downs, his ability to read the defense and get rid of the ball or hold it and take a sack rather than throw an interception. This is his second year in the NFL and like most he should have significant Improvement. I always think about drafting a better player if there is one available and it is better for the team. My focus is not on the individual player but on the Houston Texans roster.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want to see him improve on his progressions and check downs, his ability to read the defense and get rid of the ball or hold it and take a sack rather than throw an interception.
Stated another way, I want to see him read, adjust, & beat defenses. It's a subtle thing & something that is becoming more & more rare with the progress of super-athletic QBs that force defenses to count for their ability to scramble & throw on the run with accuracy.

If Mills can win from the Pocket, like Matt Ryan used to, or Peyton Manning, he'll be a top QB for many, many years.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Stated another way, I want to see him read, adjust, & beat defenses. It's a subtle thing & something that is becoming more & more rare with the progress of super-athletic QBs that force defenses to count for their ability to scramble & throw on the run with accuracy.

If Mills can win from the Pocket, like Matt Ryan used to, or Peyton Manning, he'll be a top QB for many, many years.
You had a comment in another thread that summed it up nicely.

You want a QB to win a game when it’s on his shoulders. Or get the first down when he needs to get the first down. Or get the touchdown to stay in the game.

Win in those big moments.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They got two more drafts with two picks in the 1st round, so not even next year is decision time for the QB position. They can give Mills two full seasons to see if he's the man before using that final two picks in the 1st round to get a QB if needed. 2023 draft isn't the time to panic unless Mills shits the bed this season. They have until the 2024 draft to panic if need be.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They got two more drafts with two picks in the 1st round, so not even next year is decision time for the QB position. They can give Mills two full seasons to see if he's the man before using that final two picks in the 1st round to get a QB if needed. 2023 draft isn't the time to panic unless Mills shits the bed this season. They have until the 2024 draft to panic if need be.
We should know all we need to know about Mills by week 12. That will give him 17 games (I'm including the last 5 he started last year) to show what he has.
Having 2 more drafts with multiple first rounders should make it easier not to reach for a QB next year if Mills isn't the guy.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Mills stats with 2 minutes left in the first half playing against a bunch of future insurance agents -

5 of 9 for 32 whole yards with a 3.6 avg per completion with zero points.

They would have pulled Mills earlier but they were desperate for him to show something…anything… so they kept trotting him out there and he kept failing over and over again. His only success was on a desperate heave on 3rd and 10 after two incompletions late in the half in a game that doesn’t count.

This is the guy who many of you have gotten behind as the franchise QB we need?

I have never bought into Mills as the answer. I was hoping he would build on his end of season relative success, but I always thought his ceiling is Kirk Cousins.

Let’s see what happens in the regular season, but the clock is already ticking on this guy’s tenure. I fully expect Levis, McKee, Stroud, Young or another prospect to be leading this team in 2023 unless you want SF’s castoff.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
but I always thought his ceiling is Kirk Cousins
Kirk Cousins turned down a crap load of Money to sign a huge deal with another team. Somebody sees something in Cousins.

Only 32 starting QB spots in the NFL & one team believe KC is one of them. Were he to be released by the Vikings, I’d bet money a 2nd team would confirm KC is a starting QB in this league. No “competition” in camp. Day 1 starter.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Mills stats with 2 minutes left in the first half playing against a bunch of future insurance agents -

5 of 9 for 32 whole yards with a 3.6 avg per completion with zero points.

They would have pulled Mills earlier but they were desperate for him to show something…anything… so they kept trotting him out there and he kept failing over and over again. His only success was on a desperate heave on 3rd and 10 after two incompletions late in the half in a game that doesn’t count.

This is the guy who many of you have gotten behind as the franchise QB we need?

I have never bought into Mills as the answer. I was hoping he would build on his end of season relative success, but I always thought his ceiling is Kirk Cousins.

Let’s see what happens in the regular season, but the clock is already ticking on this guy’s tenure. I fully expect Levis, McKee, Stroud, Young or another prospect to be leading this team in 2023 unless you want SF’s castoff.
Mills is like a TV series you start to binge, start to see something better available, but you are going to power through the one you started because the ending could be better than expected.

Could KC win with a team that hits on 6 first round picks? Dunno.

KC gets some flak but he and Zimmer were at serious odds. Dunno if a change in staff changes anything. People in Minnesota don’t think so.

I say give Mills to the end of the season. You can’t label him as bust just yet. You have yet to see what he does in his final season and the final seasons of who you replace him with.

Don’t be surprised if Caserio rolls with him one more year though. Caserio has said he grades people on 3 year track records.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Or you could wait until the Texans actually protect him with his actual starting OL instead of trotting out a bunch of 3rd stringers....scharping almost got him killed on several plays...what exactly did yall expect him to do with that garbage experiment patch work of an oline that could block anything or give him any time?
Some people expect to see the regular season in preseason. I am not one of those people.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Kirk Cousins turned down a crap load of Money to sign a huge deal with another team. Somebody sees something in Cousins.

Only 32 starting QB spots in the NFL & one team believe KC is one of them. Were he to be released by the Vikings, I’d bet money a 2nd team would confirm KC is a starting QB in this league. No “competition” in camp. Day 1 starter.
Just like the NFL passes around head coaches they also pass around quarterbacks.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Or you could wait until the Texans actually protect him with his actual starting OL instead of trotting out a bunch of 3rd stringers....scharping almost got him killed on several plays...what exactly did yall expect him to do with that garbage experiment patch work of an oline that could block anything or give him any time?
Didn't seem to be an issue for Allen and Driskel.

But I do agree that if you're not going to put all the starters out there with your starting QB, why take the risk? That's why these PS games are so stupid.

Tunsil is taking 1st team reps at practice, right? I mean, I don't really know, I never hear anything about him. If he can't even be bothered for a handful of plays in a freaking PS game to help keep QB1 healthy (never a guarantee even with all 5 starters), then why even take the risk in these apparently pointless games?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I had hope, but it's fading.

However, with him and Kyle Allen starting, we should be in a good position to pick the best QB in the next draft. Which was always one of the options.
I feel like sometimes people forget we have two first round picks in the next two drafts. If Mills doesn’t work out, oh well. I don’t think anyone will be really let down or upset about it.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Not sure what some of you are expecting from Mills in the Pre Season games, but for me…..don’t get injured and make some inroads with the receivers. He’s doing that just fine without the benefit of all of his regular season starters on the field with him.

I’ll be much more inclined to watch what he does when he takes the field with the following lineup:

W1- Cooks
LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Morrisey / Britt
RG- Cann
RT- Howard
TE- Brown
S1- Moore
W2- Collins (I'd still give Dorsett a shot from the Slot)
QB- Mills
RB- Pierce

Seeing this lineup on paper gives me hope for much more production when the regular season kicks off. Pep will present a more innovative game plan when they’re playing for real. Right now….low key and just watching players to ensure the right one’s are on the roster and 16 potential contributors continue to advance on the PS.

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Not sure what some of you are expecting from Mills in the Pre Season games, but for me…..don’t get injured and make some inroads with the receivers. He’s doing that just fine without the benefit of all of his regular season starters on the field with him.
At the end of last year, he was throwing a pretty good/accurate deep ball. Now, he's checking down more and seems to have lost his deep ball accuracy.

This worries me.

I’ll be much more inclined to watch what he does when he takes the field with the following lineup:

W1- Cooks
LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Morrisey / Britt
RG- Cann
RT- Howard
TE- Brown
S1- Moore / Beebe
W2- Collins

QB- Mills
RB- Pierce
FB- Janovich

Seeing this lineup on paper gives me hope for much more production when the regular season kicks off. Pep will present a more innovative game plan when they’re playing for real. Right now….low key and just watching players to ensure the right one’s are on the roster and 16 potential contributors continue to advance on the PS.
Beebe is already cut.

Just sayin.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
At the end of last year, he was throwing a pretty good/accurate deep ball. Now, he's checking down more and seems to have lost his deep ball accuracy.

This worries me.

Beebe is already cut.

Just sayin.
That’s right about Beebe….well, had my drop for the evening as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Didn't seem to be an issue for Allen and Driskel.

But I do agree that if you're not going to put all the starters out there with your starting QB, why take the risk? That's why these PS games are so stupid.

Tunsil is taking 1st team reps at practice, right? I mean, I don't really know, I never hear anything about him. If he can't even be bothered for a handful of plays in a freaking PS game to help keep QB1 healthy (never a guarantee even with all 5 starters), then why even take the risk in these apparently pointless games?
It's Lovie/Warhop's decision on whether Tunsil plays or not.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

This worries me.

Beebe is already cut.

Just sayin.
He hasn’t thrown many deep balls so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s lost his deep ball accuracy. His throw to Dorsett was on the money and his TD throw to Collins’s was good as well. He had some funky throws on some of the intermediate routes against the Rams

I’m definitely interested to see him play in the regular season when they have a game plan against the defense they’re facing

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I had hope, but it's fading
That's where I am now. Real disappointed in his last outing.
I haven’t changed. I don’t think there’s much difference.

However, I don’t think the offensive game plan has helped him any. They were too focused on running the ball, which would have been fine if they were to get to 3rd & short, but they didn’t. So they become extremely predictable on 3rd down. & since we’re not good at attacking the middle of the field it’s even more predictable.

It wasn’t until later in the 2nd Qtr that they opened it up & he’s trying to find a rhythm late in the half. He did get his groove on… but too little too late as he didn’t come out in the 2nd half.

But that does bring up a good point. The Rams 13 looked better. Kyle Allen looked better. But I think that had more to do with how they were allowed to throw the ball.

But basically that’s what we’re working with. There isn’t much difference between Mills & Allen & Rams13 in talent & physical makeup. So I get why people are skeptical of Mills. That doesn’t look like a star.

Hopefully there is a huge difference in their mental makeup. I like Mills because of his poise, his accuracy, & his athleticism (we still haven’t seen a play action bootleg with Mills in Pep’s offense).

The only questions I have about Mills is his tenacity & how clutch he is & we’re not going to learn about that until he’s in real win or lose situations.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This season is a wash anyway no matter what Mills does. If he plays well, fine, if not draft another QB. This team won't win more than five or six games at most no matter who's at QB this season.
This is the reality of the situation.

I'm looking for some improvement in Mills this yr. But I'm also looking to see if the ol improves, the secondary improves//, seeing how Pierce developes, Stingley, Pitire etc .. the W/L' aren't what I'm going to be judging the team by this yr. Next yr will be a different story.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I haven’t changed. I don’t think there’s much difference.

However, I don’t think the offensive game plan has helped him any. They were too focused on running the ball, which would have been fine if they were to get to 3rd & short, but they didn’t. So they become extremely predictable on 3rd down. & since we’re not good at attacking the middle of the field it’s even more predictable.

It wasn’t until later in the 2nd Qtr that they opened it up & he’s trying to find a rhythm late in the half. He did get his groove on… but too little too late as he didn’t come out in the 2nd half.

But that does bring up a good point. The Rams 13 looked better. Kyle Allen looked better. But I think that had more to do with how they were allowed to throw the ball.

But basically that’s what we’re working with. There isn’t much difference between Mills & Allen & Rams13 in talent & physical makeup. So I get why people are skeptical of Mills. That doesn’t look like a star.

Hopefully there is a huge difference in their mental makeup. I like Mills because of his poise, his accuracy, & his athleticism (we still haven’t seen a play action bootleg with Mills in Pep’s offense).

The only questions I have about Mills is his tenacity & how clutch he is & we’re not going to learn about that until he’s in real win or lose situations.
I think that love you Smith knows what he has in Davis mills. His focus is on what he has receiving the ball and his running game. Also he does not want his starting offensive line to get nicked up.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This season is a wash anyway no matter what Mills does. If he plays well, fine, if not draft another QB. This team won't win more than five or six games at most no matter who's at QB this season.
Exactly my point of view and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most fans are going to want to see an increase in wins while I want to see an increase in production and Player Development including development on offensive coordinator play calling. If Davis is the guy hooray and we have great draft picks to build the roster including trade downs. If Davis is not the guy we should have excellent QB to draft. I am also thrilled that car stereo has not locked us into any average veteran free agents with troublesome long-term contracts. I'm really down with building in the draft.

Im just hoping we see a better offense called out of pep....b/c so far in the preseason it has looked a lot like it did under bill o'dummy and kelley