Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

I wish nothing but the best for the young man. Bless him if he can make that happen. I don't share your optimism, but would be happy to be proven wrong.
You don't believe, if Mills signs with a team that doesn't have the starting qb position tied down, he won't have an opportunity to "compete" for the starting position? I don't understand this. Or you just don't believe a team will sign him with this in mind?

You don't believe, if Mills signs with a team that doesn't have the starting qb position tied down, he won't have an opportunity to "compete" for the starting position? I don't understand this. Or you just don't believe a team will sign him with this in mind?

To clarify, I don't believe that he will be given an opportunity to win the starting job. I believe that he will be signed as a backup, and may become the starter due to injury/bust issues, but no I do not believe that a team would sign him as part of a true open competition. How many times does that actually happen these days? The vast majority of NFL teams have a 1st round QB on their roster.

I may change my assessment after this year depending on how he develops under Slowik. But based on what we know about him right now? He's played enough games and has enough bad tape that potential isn't a tag he is wearing anymore. With full understanding of the horrible situation he was placed into the last two seasons, he is a third rounder and doesn't get the second chances that first rounders do. That is just NFL life.

Really like the kid and have been a huge supporter. Just being pragmatic with two seasons of play under his belt.

To clarify, I don't believe that he will be given an opportunity to win the starting job. I believe that he will be signed as a backup, and may become the starter due to injury/bust issues, but no I do not believe that a team would sign him as part of a true open competition. How many times does that actually happen these days? The vast majority of NFL teams have a 1st round QB on their roster.

I may change my assessment after this year depending on how he develops under Slowik. But based on what we know about him right now? He's played enough games and has enough bad tape that potential isn't a tag he is wearing anymore. With full understanding of the horrible situation he was placed into the last two seasons, he is a third rounder and doesn't get the second chances that first rounders do. That is just NFL life.

Really like the kid and have been a huge supporter. Just being pragmatic with two seasons of play under his belt.
OK.

Mike White has shown more promise.
I think both are on the same plateau.
White has shone more.

At this point he’ll most likely be like Ej Perry. Someone might pick him up, but there’s no guarantee he’ll even make it to training camp.

At this point he’ll most likely be like Ej Perry. Someone might pick him up, but there’s no guarantee he’ll even make it to training camp.

At this point….Mills will be with the Texans this season and next b/c of his contract.

The only way Mills leaves, if he demands a release….which I doubt he does.

-or-

Mills has a better than expected camp and Pre Season and a team checks with Caserio in regards to his asking price….if Mills performs well, Caserio could be inclined to hold onto him for insurance purposes.

Mills could focus on getting 2 solid seasons of development, on the Texans dime, then move on as FA….this move would probably make the most sense.

At this point….Mills will be with the Texans this season and next b/c of his contract.

-or-

Mills has a better than expected camp and Pre Season and a team checks with Caserio in regards to his asking price….if Mills performs well, Caserio could be inclined to hold onto him for insurance purposes.

Mills could focus on getting 2 solid seasons of development, on the Texans dime, then move on as FA….this move would probably make the most sense.

Mills will be a good backup QB for the Texans or someone else. Either way, he'll get a 2nd contract from someone when his rookie deal is up.

-or-

I agree that of these scenarios, Mills going FA route is the most likely.

Would love to see him develop into a long-term backup here, but if he's eventually leaving then hopefully Caserio can get a 5th rounder for him.

Well yeah, but in the conversation you butted into was more about his perceived value, which is pretty low at this point
-or-

Mills has a better than expected camp and Pre Season and a team checks with Caserio in regards to his asking price….
I'm pretty sure GMs know more than we do that preseason don't mean nothing. Won't change anybody's opinion

I like Mills. I hope he gets an opportunity to show that he's better than that guy wearing his jersey in 2022. But if he doesn't get that opportunity, he's Ej Perry, a guy many here kept forgetting he was on the team & when the news broke that Ej was released, the hard-core fans here were like, "who?"

Reactions: JB

-or-

Your last paragraph was the point of my initial comment. We'll need to draft a qb next year and stash him on the practice squad, so he has a year of experience after Mills leaves, after the '24 season.

Well yeah, but in the conversation you butted into was more about his perceived value, which is pretty low at this point

I'm pretty sure GMs know more than we do that preseason don't mean nothing. Won't change anybody's opinion

I like Mills. I hope he gets an opportunity to show that he's better than that guy wearing his jersey in 2022. But if he doesn't get that opportunity, he's Ej Perry, a guy many here kept forgetting he was on the team & when the news broke that Ej was released, the hard-core fans here were like, "who?"

EJ Perry is a bit overboard. Perry has yet to suit up for a regular season game. Mills has started NFL regular season games.

A better comparison would be CJ Beathard. Both 3rd round picks, both started games early in their careers. Both drafted by rookie GM/HC.

Beathard has been Trevor Lawrence’s backup the past two seasons after his rookie contract ended with SF.

You’re welcome to steal the Beathard comparison so you don’t use the horrible EJ Perry one again. I don’t mind :)

What's funny to me is that Stetson Bennett, who was just drafted by the Rams, was rated #74. Bennett was at Georgia for SIX years.

Texans have DM locked in this year and next as a quality backup. We'd have to pick up a third qb if we were to trade him this year. But for the right offer? Say a two?

I just saw the article and thought it was an interesting talking point. Maybe it would be a good idea for Mills and the Texans. We have Case on the roster, so a backup that is not amazing but somewhat knows the system could probably be a good addition. Meanwhile, Mills going to a new team, with no real pressure may help him become a better QB (or unlock what we saw towards the end of year 1). Seeing from what I understand, he has not been looking very good so far in TC. If we trade him for say a 2nd (if lucky) or a 3rd, which is likely. We pretty much replace the pick we used on him. I would take a 4th and 5th probably to. We know Nick Caserio can spin that to a 3rd or use it/them to move around easily on draft day.

Texans QB Davis Mills sees similarities between himself and C.J. Stroud

1422b65fe8b9fc8f18393cdde2c7da63

Back