Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Johnson... welcome to houston

badboy

Hall of Fame
If David Johnson under performs would OB cut him after 1 year? It would present cap relief but where would that leave the RB position for the Texans going into 2021? Here is an early list of 2021 UFA RBs: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/ufa/running-back/
Just my opinion but if he underperforms he has to be cut. $7 m cap savings can get you a decent starter at other positions. I do not think OBrien said 'let's go get David Johnson and we can trade Hopkins for him'. We should know by now that what fans think does not impact him. We shop for another RB as always: draft, FA vets or UDFA.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
What an absolutely fantastic read on our new RB. This gives me renewed faith that Johnson will in fact re-ignite his success.

"My biggest thing is I'm still myself—2016," he says. "If anything, I'm smarter. I know defenses even more. I know the game of football even more in the league. So I feel like I still have the same speed and strength and everything … but even more smarts.
"They're getting a guy who's going to always work hard. They never have to worry about me off the field. … They're going to get a guy who's dedicated to the team and really dedicated to proving everyone wrong. I'm still striving to get that 1,000 yards rushing and receiving. So I'm going to do everything in my power—everything I humanly can—to get to that."

1597754247943.png1597754340015.png

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What an absolutely fantastic read on our new RB. This gives me renewed faith that Johnson will in fact re-ignite his success.

"My biggest thing is I'm still myself—2016," he says. "If anything, I'm smarter. I know defenses even more. I know the game of football even more in the league. So I feel like I still have the same speed and strength and everything … but even more smarts.
"They're getting a guy who's going to always work hard. They never have to worry about me off the field. … They're going to get a guy who's dedicated to the team and really dedicated to proving everyone wrong. I'm still striving to get that 1,000 yards rushing and receiving. So I'm going to do everything in my power—everything I humanly can—to get to that."

View attachment 6503View attachment 6504
The 1,000 yds receiving is doubtful. DW4 doesn't check down enough for this to happen.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
The 1,000 yds receiving is doubtful. DW4 doesn't check down enough for this to happen.
The following is an excerpt from that report from Maurice Jones Drew.

"The reason people say [the trade is] crazy is you see the way DeAndre Hopkins was utilized, and you also saw the way the running backs were used in that system," Jones-Drew says. "They weren't. So why would you trade for a running back if your system is not built to utilize that position? It comes down to the coaching: Are you going to utilize him? The trade is fine if you utilize David Johnson.

"If you don't? There it is."

He's giving O'Brien and the Texans "the right to make it make sense." If they feed Johnson, if they win, there's nothing anyone can say.

He (O'Brien) said he's watched Johnson since he came out of Northern Iowa, too, and how Arians used him that 2016 season was precisely how he'd use him in Houston.
To which, Johnson was ecstatic.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The following is an excerpt from that report from Maurice Jones Drew.

"The reason people say [the trade is] crazy is you see the way DeAndre Hopkins was utilized, and you also saw the way the running backs were used in that system," Jones-Drew says. "They weren't. So why would you trade for a running back if your system is not built to utilize that position? It comes down to the coaching: Are you going to utilize him? The trade is fine if you utilize David Johnson.

"If you don't? There it is."

He's giving O'Brien and the Texans "the right to make it make sense." If they feed Johnson, if they win, there's nothing anyone can say.

He (O'Brien) said he's watched Johnson since he came out of Northern Iowa, too, and how Arians used him that 2016 season was precisely how he'd use him in Houston.
To which, Johnson was ecstatic.
Is this because they haven't had a complete RB, or because the QB doesn't take the easy completion that moves the chains?

How many receptions did AF have his 1 full season with BOB as HC/OC?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Is this because they haven't had a complete RB, or because the QB doesn't take the easy completion that moves the chains?

How many receptions did AF have his 1 full season with BOB as HC/OC?
The numbers say we haven't had a complete RB since AF27 that we could really target like that.....Duke got here last year, but he's not an every down back.

in his 2 seasons under BoB, AF27 had 38 in 13 games with nearly 60 targets in 1 season....with Rian Fitzhoyellet as his qbs. At his absolute peak under Kubiak, AF27 had a 66 and a 50 rec season. Noone we've had since him has really come close to being versatile enough to be able to do that with regardless of the HC or scheme as MJD and others love to blame. Hell, Lamar Miller at his absolute peak with Miami only had 47 recs in 1 season..

DJ is closer to AF27 than he his to Miller. Miller never ran more than 2-3 yard flares from the backfield. AF27....& DJ are guys you would/could actually split out in the slot and have them run curls and texas routes 5-10 yards down the field b/c they have excellent hands.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stats matter Steel. Those things factor into it these players getting inducted into the HOF. They might not matter to you but they’re important to many others. Rings are most definitely the icing on the cake.
Which matter to you the most as a fan? Rings or HOF'ers.

Teams that win championships usually have the most HOF'ers. Who are these many others that the HOF is more important than championships? Because if they're on the Texans I'm all for changing the culture down on Kirby.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stats don't matter.

But when you make claims like, "We have a QB that doesn't checkdown"... you need the stats to back up that claim.
Maybe because Hyde wasn't good as a receiver or after the catch I didn't realize DW4 was checking down as much as he was. This is actually good news since DJ will be much more effective as a checkdown option.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They run from the gun more often because that's where DW4 is most comfortable with.
I said since BO'b got here. Are you insinuating BO'b knew we would get Watson so he made Hoyer play more from the gun?

Either way. He needs to teach Watson to play under Center or get a RB who can run well from shotgun formations. We've got an either/or situation & he's doing neither.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I said since BO'b got here. Are you insinuating BO'b knew we would get Watson so he made Hoyer play more from the gun?

Either way. He needs to teach Watson to play under Center or get a RB who can run well from shotgun formations. We've got an either/or situation & he's doing neither.
Good luck with this.

If you want to see a really crappy offense then put DW4 under center regularly.

Texansballer74

The Marine

I don’t think he wants his quarterbacks operating under center. Now he does have a few plays in which Watson is operating under center. But this could be said for a lot of teams these days. The Super Bowl champs didn’t have this type of back either. And Pat operated from the pistol and shotgun most of the time too.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then he should get a RB who runs well from shotgun.
He obviously thinks DJ's this guy Hyde actually did a good job last year. IMHO.

But if the option play they run from the gun is going to work then DW4'S going to have to keep the ball more often to keep the defense honest.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He obviously thinks DJ's this guy Hyde actually did a good job last year. IMHO.

But if the option play they run from the gun is going to work then DW4'S going to have to keep the ball more often to keep the defense honest.
I agree with the latter, but there's nothing in DJ's career to make anyone believe he's a spread RB. Maybe they do believe he is. I just don't know why.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I felt like RB- AJ Dillon (Boston College) would've been the correct runner for OB's system.....much better than the guys on the roster. A tue power back with enough straight line wiggle to be a pain to defenses. Green Bay wound up with this weapon and he'll be in a platoon with GB's starting RB. I'm pretty certain that Aaron Rodgers will enjoy the relief this tandem brings to his offense. By the way, Dillon is making a nice impact in camp.

At this juncture for the Texans, the moves have been made....advised or ill-advised in regards to the running game. I can only hope that Johnson can find his 2016 groove b/c a lot of the offenses success will rely on his legs. Johnson II has to be incorporated more often so his touches go up which could be a really good thing.....this falls on the shoulders of Kelly. As for the 3rd back, still waiting to see if and when Higdon will have provide any positive feedback. I know there are other RB's in camp but b/c of the price paid for DJ, he sort of sucks the air out of the position. Hope the team can find their RB's 3 and 4.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I felt like RB- AJ Dillon (Boston College) would've been the correct runner for OB's system.....much better than the guys on the roster. A tue power back with enough straight line wiggle to be a pain to defenses. Green Bay wound up with this weapon and he'll be in a platoon with GB's starting RB. I'm pretty certain that Aaron Rodgers will enjoy the relief this tandem brings to his offense. By the way, Dillon is making a nice impact in camp.

At this juncture for the Texans, the moves have been made....advised or ill-advised in regards to the running game. I can only hope that Johnson can find his 2016 groove b/c a lot of the offenses success will rely on his legs. Johnson II has to be incorporated more often so his touches go up which could be a really good thing.....this falls on the shoulders of Kelly. As for the 3rd back, still waiting to see if and when Higdon will have provide any positive feedback. I know there are other RB's in camp but b/c of the price paid for DJ, he sort of sucks the air out of the position. Hope the team can find their RB's 3 and 4.
I am hoping we only need the two DJs. Higdon on sideline and Phillips practise squad.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Sorry, we don't have much to trade but I did suggest Duke as part of a trade some time ago.
I think the Texans by in large are a group of selfless players and Duke Johnson is the poster boy of that team-first philosophy. Add his durability and consistency, he's one of those players I'd like the Texans to keep around for a long time. I'd just like to see him used more.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I don’t think he wants his quarterbacks operating under center. Now he does have a few plays in which Watson is operating under center. But this could be said for a lot of teams these days. The Super Bowl champs didn’t have this type of back either. And Pat operated from the pistol and shotgun most of the time too.
Pat & Deshaun operate in shotgun basically at the same rate. I guess Pat sucks under center as well? Lamar Jackson definitely sucks under center, being in shotgun 96% of the time. Rivers, Wentz, Wilson are all above 70% shotgun. They suck under center too?

badboy

Hall of Fame
They have 5 mil cap space now and could easily come up with another five for this year. They have over 60 million next year so even with reduction due to covid-19 should be able to make Hopkins feel welcome.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You know what could be worse......the Cardinals finish with a better record and Hopkins delivers another Pro Bowl season along the way.

Would that make Murray better than Watson? NO! But some may insist it does.

Would that make another much younger and newer NFL HC and his staff better than a seasoned OB and his staff? YES! Would be more evidence to take into consideration.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You know what will even be worse......the Cardinals finish with a better record and Hopkins delivers another Pro Bowl season.

Would that make Murray better than Watson? No

Would that make another much younger and newer NFL HC and his staff better than a seasoned OB and his staff? YES
:facepalm: