Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Johnson... welcome to houston

it’s not a matter of anyone “liking” him...but yeah you’re right. There are more than a few folks in here who look at things like they’re binary.
Well I didn’t mean “like” in that sense. I just meant his decision making and methods of running things.

As a fan of the game and team, what are our other choices?

If you're a certain member of this board put over half the full time members of the board on ignore and then sit back and make comments in a vacuum to only people that think exactly like you do and then believe yourself to be the smartest person in the room. Hey pretty much exactly what OB is accused of doing.

I was thinking yesterday. Couldn't we have drafted a David Johnson type back in the middle rounds of this year's draft? Or sign one in free agency? Or an even better back? Did we really have to take on his contract while losing Hopkins in the process? Ugh...

I was thinking yesterday. Couldn't we have drafted a David Johnson type back in the middle rounds of this year's draft? Or sign one in free agency? Or an even better back? Did we really have to take on his contract while losing Hopkins in the process? Ugh...
You are correct on all accounts. BOB does not care what anyone thinks though. He uses the George Costanza approach. Take your natural instinct, then do the opposite.

crazy amount of GREAT RBs in this draft. CRAZY. You could legitimately back into a Swift, Dobbins or Edwards-Helaire back in the 2nd round ESPECIALLY if Obrien had this raging hard on for another back - its the most tried and true method to build the position and keep it performing DRAFT RBS FREQUENTLY, look at their shelf life. YOu dont go wasting 3rd rounders on aging RBs, and then trade away an all pro to return yet ANOTHER aging RB, its proven that that philosophy doesnt work!!

Where was OBriens love for old RBs when Adrian Peterson was practically begging to play here AND FOR CHEAP! Nope, he was too "old and broke down" LOL

crazy amount of GREAT RBs in this draft. CRAZY. You could legitimately back into a Swift, Dobbins or Edwards-Helaire back in the 2nd round ESPECIALLY if Obrien had this raging hard on for another back - its the most tried and true method to build the position and keep it performing DRAFT RBS FREQUENTLY, look at their shelf life. YOu dont go wasting 3rd rounders on aging RBs, and then trade away an all pro to return yet ANOTHER aging RB, its proven that that philosophy doesnt work!!

Where was OBriens love for old RBs when Adrian Peterson was practically begging to play here AND FOR CHEAP! Nope, he was too "old and broke down" LOL
I am not exaggerating when I say that I literally do not question anything BOB does anymore. I just accept when he displays his stupidity and shake my head.

The McNair's would never let a guy like Peterson in their org.

This is a big part of the issue with the McNair lead Texans org.

#NotTexansWorthy.

Who in free agency was a David Johnson type of RB? We could look at just about every guy that was and/or came available later and every single 1 of them had serious drawbacks.

Either they wanted new big money contracts (Gordon, Drake, Henry)....weren’t legit 3 down backs anymore or......ever.....(Howard, McCoy, Ekler), had at least some level of injury concerns (Brieda, Gurley) or we’d already been there and done that (Miller, Hyde).....or had some combo of the 2 or 3 things above. That basically leaves 1 guy that we could’ve gone after...Kareem Hunt...a known knucklehead and restricted FA who got a 2nd round tender placed on him by the Browns. Would you have given up our highest round pick in this years draft for him? Probably not.

Also, I could see us getting a RB in the draft to come in right away and be a 3 down, contributing RB..if it were a Saquon Barkley, Todd Gurley Adrian Peterson talent that would be taken in the top of the 1st round. But.....that’s not what you’re saying. What you’re saying is you would get a rookie......project RB that you would you draft in the middle rounds........and trust that guy to come in and contribute right away as a legit 3 down back in the run and pass game.....oh, and also be the primary guy in the backfield charged with pass protecting for your franchise qb...yeah doesn’t sound so hot now does it?

Who in free agency was a David Johnson type of RB? We could look at just about every guy that was and/or came available later and every single 1 of them had serious drawbacks.

Either they wanted new big money contracts (Gordon, Drake, Henry)....weren’t legit 3 down backs anymore or......ever.....(Howard, McCoy, Ekler), had at least some level of injury concerns (Brieda, Gurley) or we’d already been there and done that (Miller, Hyde).....or had some combo of the 2 or 3 things above. That basically leaves 1 guy that we could’ve gone after...Kareem Hunt...a known knucklehead and restricted FA who got a 2nd round tender placed on him by the Browns. Would you have given up our highest round pick in this years draft for him? Probably not.

Also, I could see us getting a RB in the draft to come in right away and be a 3 down, contributing RB..if it were a Saquon Barkley, Todd Gurley Adrian Peterson talent that would be taken in the top of the 1st round. But.....that’s not what you’re saying. What you’re saying is you would get a rookie......project RB that you would you draft in the middle rounds........and trust that guy to come in and contribute right away as a legit 3 down back in the run and pass game.....oh, and also be the primary guy in the backfield charged with pass protecting for your franchise qb...yeah doesn’t sound so hot now does it?

What doesn't sound "so hot" is losing a top 3 WR in his prime and only getting an overpaid running back who fell out of the graces of his former team and a second round pick in return.

What doesn't sound "so hot" is losing a top 3 WR in his prime and only getting an overpaid running back who fell out of the graces of his former team and a second round pick in return.

Johnson wasn’t the only thing received in that trade...but sure go ahead and focus on that, it’ll make what you suggested sound more logical in your head...

Johnson wasn’t the only thing received in that trade...but sure go ahead and focus on that, it’ll make what you suggested sound more logical in your head...

Did you read my post? I said also a second round pick. What did I miss? The swapping of 4th round picks? Is that supposed to be the icing on the cake? You don't just give away talent like Hopkins or Clowney. And I was against signing Clowney to a long term deal. But you don't trade top tier talent for peanuts, and then pay half of his salary (Clowney). Face it. BOB is in over his head and looks foolish. He is the laughing stock of the NFL. And the McNair's won't do anything about it until it starts hitting them where it hurts, their pocketbook.

Let's start with Johnson, who should have had negative trade value, especially after the Cardinals slapped the transition tag on Kenyan Drake earlier this morning. Johnson is now three years removed from his only productive NFL season. He missed almost the entire 2017 season with a wrist injury and has been a replacement-level back over the last two seasons. The Cardinals' offense instantly got better when they replaced him with Drake, who was available for a late-round pick from the Dolphins.

The Texans have put themselves in a situation that they need that reclamation project, David Johnson, to be successful.

I know it’s not a popular opinion but we need a stud to replace Fulton.
I would be thrilled if one of the top OTs falls and is our pick. Either start them at RT or RG sending Fulton to the bench. There’s several Guards I would be happy with.

its not about getting a DJ type back. Theres still backs available in free agency that will be cheaper and better than DJ. There Most likely will be backs in 3rd and fourth round that could give you more than DJ. What’s not to like?

its not about getting a DJ type back. Theres still backs available in free agency that will be cheaper and better than DJ. There Most likely will be backs in 3rd and fourth round that could give you more than DJ. What’s not to like?
I completely 100 percent agree. People have their theories on all of these new types of formations we will have with David Johnson, but I dont buy into that. If we are paying David Johnson like a Pro Bowler and is expected to be a 3 down workhorse, Duke Johnson is going to be sitting on the bench. If we still use Duke Johnson significantly, David Johnson will be underused and overpaid and we may as well just have drafted or signed a cheaper RB to compliment Duke Johnson. Either way, Duke or David Johnson will be underused this year. Look at the stats. Carlos Hyde had 245 carries last year, and Duke had 83. Duke had 44 receptions and Hyde had 10. In David Johnsons 2 full seasons he has played he had 80 and 50 receptions. How are we gonna feed David AND Duke this much? We are not. One of them will be underused, and we would have been better off signing or drafting a cheaper, more durable RB to work with Duke.

2 yrs without RS.

Devil's advocate here - then by your own logic, can we have an agreement that you stop spouting the DW4 can't win a championship until we can see him for four years without OB?

I mean you're an advocate for giving OB multiple years without his albatross Rick Smith and say you want to wait before 'passing judgment' but after 2 1/2 years of watching Watson you 'KNOW' he can't win the big one. It seems to be a bit of a double standard we have going here.

Did you read my post? I said also a second round pick. What did I miss? The swapping of 4th round picks? Is that supposed to be the icing on the cake? You don't just give away talent like Hopkins or Clowney. And I was against signing Clowney to a long term deal. But you don't trade top tier talent for peanuts, and then pay half of his salary (Clowney). Face it. BOB is in over his head and looks foolish. He is the laughing stock of the NFL. And the McNair's won't do anything about it until it starts hitting them where it hurts, their pocketbook.
I’m beginning to think Mr teX is actually Mr O’Brien. There isn’t one single decision O’Brien has made that Mr teX has not only not questioned it but vigorously defended it.

My thinking on DJ is he’ll have some good games at the beginning of the season but when he remembers he doesn’t like playing football anymore his production will rapidly decline. The novelty of working in a new city with a different coach will wear him out. Because from what I’ve heard, and I hate to give away this little secret, O’Brien has a bit of a temper and eventually everyone gets sprayed by it. David Johnson, with his poor pass protection will face OB’s wrath.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate here - then by your own logic, can we have an agreement that you stop spouting the DW4 can't win a championship until we can see him for four years without OB?

I mean you're an advocate for giving OB multiple years without his albatross Rick Smith and say you want to wait before 'passing judgment' but after 2 1/2 years of watching Watson you 'KNOW' he can't win the big one. It seems to be a bit of a double standard we have going here.

Apples/Oranges

RS is responsible for DW4 being here.

A QB and a gm are 2 totally different jobs.

Although I will give you DW4'S much better at his job than RS was at his job.

Also, this is BOB'S 1st draft to be in charge of and DW4'S going into yr 4 at QB. Since BOB'S going to be here another 2/3 years and you want me to give DW4 another 4 yrs after that you asking for a decade before you will make a decision on whether DW4 can win a championship. LMAO

That kind of thinking is what lead to the RS decade of mediocrity. This isn't surprising since Texans fans have been conditioned to think this way.

Last edited:
I’m beginning to think Mr teX is actually Mr O’Brien. There isn’t one single decision O’Brien has made that Mr teX has not only not questioned it but vigorously defended it.

My thinking on DJ is he’ll have some good games at the beginning of the season but when he remembers he doesn’t like playing football anymore his production will rapidly decline. The novelty of working in a new city with a different coach will wear him off. Because from what I’ve heard, and I hate to give away this little secret, O’Brien has a bit of a temper and eventually everyone gets sprayed by it. David Johnson, with his poor pass protection will face OB’s wrath.

You mean kind of like posters that won't even wait to see how the trade plays out before calling it a failure. Look you may not agree with how BOB'S going about changing the culture of his team in his 1st year in charge but it's changing and he's doing things his way. I personally find change exciting and can't wait to see how things turn out.

DJ can't pass block? You might want to check out some of his tape.

Very relevant, he's cleaning up the mess RS left behind in his 1st year as GM.

Of course you are the guy that probably thought RS could still get it right after a decade of failure.

You don't make any sense whatsoever. Lol at getting rid of top level talent is what you call cleaning up mess.

And for the millionth time RS should've gotten the boot right along with Kubiak.

You don't make any sense whatsoever. Lol at getting rid of top level talent is what you call cleaning up mess.

And for the millionth time RS should've gotten the boot right along with Kubiak.

I'm more interested in who the top 40 pick is and if their roster overall can be improved. You were really on board with paying Nuk 20 mil per yr? He's going to break down.

Agreed

So now we're setting the bar at a decade before we can make a decision on DW4.

Y'all should be able to come up with at least 1,000 excuses for him in that much time.

I don't know who the 'Y'all' is your referring too - I do know who 'they' are but didn't think to put myself in that group as I thought I had been pretty fair in my assessment that DW has plenty of things he needs to work on. Where we differ is you have set your opinion in stone, that he won't/can't and I choose to still think he can grow/learn (with a different coach)

Just like how for some reason you still think OB can grow/learn even after watching him for 6 years - the dude is mediocre, which you claim to hate, but somehow you want to give him time and be patient as a GM because somehow that title will make him a better judge of talent and coaches (looking at you Devlin) and I don't...

I am ready to see someone else in charge (not going to happen) but fire the HC/GM bring in an actual GM and new coaching staff - it might be a new crap show, but at least it will be different crap.

I don't know who the 'Y'all' is your referring too - I do know who 'they' are but didn't think to put myself in that group as I thought I had been pretty fair in my assessment that DW has plenty of things he needs to work on. Where we differ is you have set your opinion in stone, that he won't/can't and I choose to still think he can grow/learn (with a different coach)

Just like how for some reason you still think OB can grow/learn even after watching him for 6 years - the dude is mediocre, which you claim to hate, but somehow you want to give him time and be patient as a GM because somehow that title will make him a better judge of talent and coaches (looking at you Devlin) and I don't...

I am ready to see someone else in charge (not going to happen) but fire the HC/GM bring in an actual GM and new coaching staff - it might be a new crap show, but at least it will be different crap.

Don't you get it? He totes both sides, so that no matter what happens, he'll come out claiming he's been right all along. In some posts he'll say BOB should be fired, then the very next post... let's wait & see how well he does now that he has total control. That's why it's not worth engaging. You can't debate/discuss with irrational.

Dream summarized it up for you. That’s how he get down.

Irrelevant. Play another valid card.
First year he's in total control. I'm with Steelb that this coming training camp and season will be interesting to follow. It is not the change that most wanted, but it is change. OB knows what he wants and is building toward. We don't know. All we can do is guess and speculate. We need improvement to get over the hump. There should be no disagreement that OB, as a coach, knows this as well.

You mean kind of like posters that won't even wait to see how the trade plays out before calling it a failure. Look you may not agree with how BOB'S going about changing the culture of his team in his 1st year in charge but it's changing and he's doing things his way. I personally find change exciting and can't wait to see how things turn out.

DJ can't pass block? You might want to check out some of his tape.

the trade has played out. The value wasn’t there.

I'm more interested in who the top 40 pick is and if their roster overall can be improved. You were really on board with paying Nuk 20 mil per yr? He's going to break down.

Agreed

Heck yeah. Why not? Even O’Brien said he OUT PLAYED his contract. He is up there with M. Thomas and is way better than A. Copper.

Very relevant, he's cleaning up the mess RS left behind in his 1st year as GM.

Of course you are the guy that probably thought RS could still get it right after a decade of failure.

Funny stuff. Rick Smith left him with Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Jackson, Joseph, Reader, Cunningham, Mckinney, Fuller, Hopkins, and Watson. Many competent HCs and/or GMs would love to inherit a mess like that.

No worries. You treat O'Brien like he is a system QB that has to have all these pieces in place to be successful. He has to have his own GM. Well scratch that. He has to be the GM. He has to have his own QB, culture, spiritual adviser, cap guy and full control of an organization to make it to a AFCCG. Next, he will need a share of ownership to control the purse strings.

Too funny. Talk about 1000 excuses.

Last edited:

My opinion isn't set on stone. My question is how much time do you give DW4? Some of DW4's issues can't be fixed. IMHO. We differ on this and always will.

The other difference is RS was an anvil to this org for over a decade and it takes awhile to overcome such incompetence. The fact that you won't even give him 1 draft that he's totally accountable for speaks volumes.

Look we are never going to agree, I'm looking at things optimistically and in the future. You're looking at thi gs in the past tense. Why am I looking at things this way? Because I'm a Texans fan and I hope for the best. Even though I will admit things probably won't work out. But BOB's going to be here 2-3 years whether y'all like it or not. Y'all can hope for him to fail all y'all want but that's cutting your nose off to spite your face. Is it that important to be right?

On the bright side, we know who's in charge and who to blame if things go bad for the 1st time in franchise history. No more of the boardroom crap.

Funny stuff. Rick Smith left him with Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Jackson, Joseph, Reader, Cunningham, Mckinney, Fuller, Hopkins, and Watson. Many competent HCs and/or GMs would love to inherit a mess like that.

No worries. You treat O'Brien like he is a system QB that has to have all these pieces in place to be successful. He has to have his own GM. Well scratch that. He has to be the GM. He has to have his own QB, culture, spiritual adviser, cap guy and full control of an organization to make it to a AFCCG. Next, he will need a share of ownership to control the purse strings.

Too funny. Talk about 1000 excuses.

Maybe I value ol play more than most and think alot of those guys were worth injury casualty/ not that great to begin with. Very avg

Last edited:

I get cheaper...but who in FA would be better? I already went over the top guys that were available. I also don’t think you can count on a rookie 3rd or 4th rounder to come in and be better let alone give you more than a guy who at a minimum can likely give you 1400-1600 total yards....as long as he can stay healthy.

Back