Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought of the Day

1 Michigan
2Washington
3 FSU
4 Bama

I say this thinking this would be best match up for tv
How good is Washington actually? Bama-Michigan looks like the best possible National Championship game with these four teams. So I would hope the rankings are:

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Alabama
4. FSU

Should be Bama…Again yes Texas beat them but it was early in the season. 1, We know both teams are much different now. 2, Bama’s road to where they are now was much tougher, 3 the SEC conference overall is just better than the Big 12 & The SEC champ should get in over the Big 12 champ.

4, The ranked teams Bama beat were on average higher ranked.

1 - They are different now than when they played, but Texas is no less improved from when they lost to Oklahoma.

2 & 3 - The SEC is generally the best conference year-to-year, this is reasonably understood. But 2023 was far from their best showing with a total out of conference record of 7-9, with 9 of those 16 games at home.

4 - The ranked teams Bama beat averaged a ranking of 16. The ranked teams Texas beat averaged a ranking of 17. So while technically true this hardly a divide worth really noting.

I don't have a hard-on for either school to get their dance card punched, and frankly I think you could make a solid argument ether way, but with points 2, 3, and 4 being by and large a wash.. I think all we're really left with is an unignorable head-to-head advantage. I think it's just too big an elephant in the room. Jmo, of course.

1 - They are different now than when they played, but Texas is no less improved from when they lost to Oklahoma.

2 & 3 - The SEC is generally the best conference year-to-year, this is reasonably understood. But 2023 was far from their best showing with a total out of conference record of 7-9, with 9 of those 16 games at home.

4 - The ranked teams Bama beat averaged a ranking of 16. The ranked teams Texas beat averaged a ranking of 17. So while technically true this hardly a divide worth really noting.

I don't have a hard-on for either school to get their dance card punched, and frankly I think you could make a solid argument ether way, but with points 2, 3, and 4 being by and large a wash.. I think all we're really left with is an unignorable head-to-head advantage. I think it's just too big an elephant in the room. Jmo, of course.

Your #4 point is inaccurate. The ranked teams Bama beat actually averaged around 11-12 Whereas Texas’ averaged around 18.

but overall I can see your point. What it comes down to is how much weight you put on an early season victory…

Your #4 point is inaccurate. The ranked teams Bama beat actually averaged around 11-12 Whereas Texas’ averaged around 18.

but overall I can see your point. What it comes down to is how much weight you put on an early season victory…
If you don't put weight on beating Bama in Tuscaloosa then why even play the game.

Reactions: JB
If you don't put weight on beating Bama in Tuscaloosa then why even play the game.

I never said don’t put weight on it, I just said HOW MUCH weight should u put on it.

I personally don’t put as much weight on it b/c it was so early in the season and b/c both teams have changed since then..& Bama has shown that they’ve improved more based on what they’ve done since that game (no losses) and who they’ve beaten.

Texas trying to have their cake and eat it too and you can tell this poll is some politic garbage for UT….Using the head to head against Bama to keep themselves ahead of Bama in the polls, but then using the fact that Bama won the SEC as a feather in their cap to bolster their case to be over FSU. …how are they ranked ahead of a power 5 team that has nearly the same credentials they have but that team didn’t lose a game?

Also Bama is out according to this poll
but the SoS and SoR has Bama ahead of Texas in both instances.

IMG_0243.jpeg

People say that FSU is not as good a team as Texas, I say B.S.

FSU has a better receiver group. A better RB. A better D-line. The only position is Texas is better is at QB. But Ewers is not a superstar. And FSU didn't stumble. UT did. Like I say, it's B.S. If you want to take the top 4 teams on talent alone, swap out Washington and Texas and put in Georgia and Ohio State.

Last edited:

FSU has a better receiver group. A better RB. A better D-line. The only position is Texans is better is at QB. But Ewers is not a superstar. And FSU didn't stumble. UT did. Like I say, it's B.S. If you want to take the top 4 teams on talent alone, swap out Washington and Texas and put in Georgia and Ohio State.

I don't have an argument for Texas over FSU really. The argument is Texas over Alabama because they beat Alabama by double digits in Alabama. Ohio State and Georgia would just be a rematch of games played recently in which both those teams lost. Even as a college football fan do you want to see a Ohio State-Michigan or Georgia-Alabama game again?

FSU has a better receiver group. A better RB. A better D-line. The only position is Texans is better is at QB. But Ewers is not a superstar. And FSU didn't stumble. UT did. Like I say, it's B.S. If you want to take the top 4 teams on talent alone, swap out Washington and Texas and put in Georgia and Ohio State.

yeah, FSU showed last night that their defense is championship caliber and they didn’t lose…they did everything you could possibly ask of them and got left out for a team that beat up on a garbage conference and lost to a team that finished outside the top 10. I’m thinking they weighed the absence of Jordan Travis a little too heavily against FSU.

I don't have an argument for Texas over FSU really. The argument is Texas over Alabama because they beat Alabama by double digits in Alabama. Ohio State and Georgia would just be a rematch of games played recently in which both those teams lost. Even as a college football fan do you want to see a Ohio State-Michigan or Georgia-Alabama game again?

OSU/Michigan no, Georgia and Bama I wouldn’t mind it.

I’m just glad this 4 team crap is over. The way the playoff should’ve been developed in the 1st place is what they’re going to next year. every P5 conference champ gets in and then you can pick the best team afterwards…much easier selection process.

I’m thinking they weighed the absence of Jordan Travis a little too heavily against FSU.
It's an excuse given to a group that's trying to get the highest TV ratings. This is the last year of this BS, thankfully. I'll pay attention and recognize a real national champion next year.

OSU/Michigan no, Georgia and Bama I wouldn’t mind it.

I’m just glad this 4 team crap is over. The way the playoff should’ve been developed in the 1st place is what they’re going to next year. every P5 conference champ gets in and then you can pick the best team afterwards…much easier selection process.
I'm definitely with you on the playoffs this year. There are at least 7 teams that should be in it this year.

I think this column sums it up pretty perfectly..

CFP Anger Index: Unpacking the outrage of Florida State's snub

In the olden days, we had a beauty contest. The top team in the nation was decided entirely by the voters.

Then we moved to a better system, one determined in part by computers but one that allowed the top two teams to decide it on the field.

Then we moved to a four-team playoff, and the whole point was to eliminate the hypotheticals and let a champion be crowned by the actual results on the field. If you won your games, you had a chance to win a national title.

Turns out, all of that was a charade. None of it mattered. The games are pointless. What happens on the field is less important than what a committee thinks might happen in a future matchup.

It is an absolute slap in the face to every player who has ever put on a helmet, laced up cleats and marched onto the field to battle for a victory, because a bunch of folks in a conference room in Texas decided their sacrifice was not as important as the Las Vegas line on a potential playoff matchup.

It's a joke.

Yes, Florida State is without starting QB Jordan Travis, meaning it would have to play with a quarterback who wasn't its opening-week starter in order to win a national title, and of course that couldn't happen. After all, only 2014 Ohio State, 2017 Alabama, 2018 Clemson and 2021 Georgia did that. What are the odds that something that's happened 44% of the time would happen again?

And sure, FSU's passing game was a mess in the ACC championship game. No argument there. Funny thing though: FSU won its title game by more than Alabama did. In fact, FSU has won its past two games by more than Alabama has. And since Travis got hurt in Week 12 against North Alabama, the Seminoles have thrown for just 8 fewer yards than Michigan has in that same stretch, but there was no debate about Michigan.

Oh, and this is probably irrelevant in the face of such a poor quarterback performance against Louisville, but there's also the small matter that the QB who started that game, Brock Glenn, wouldn't be the QB starting a playoff game (since Tate Rodemaker would be out of concussion protocol by then).

The committee cared about one stat when making this decision: FSU's 55 passing yards against Louisville.

Here are the stats it ignored: Seven sacks, 14 tackles for loss, 10 passes defended, 189 rushing yards against a stacked box, a 10-point win over a top-15 team with a QB making his first career start.

Let's be real about what happened here: The committee members couldn't leave the SEC out of the playoff. They didn't care that Alabama needed a miracle to avoid a loss to 6-6 Auburn two weeks ago. They didn't care that Georgia's own injuries -- playing with a banged-up Ladd McConkey and Brock Bowers -- likely played a large part in why the Tide won Saturday. They didn't care that the ACC has a winning record, head-to-head, against the SEC this season. They didn't care that Alabama beat 2023 Georgia, not 2021 or 2022 Georgia. They cared that Alabama and the SEC had to have a spot in the playoff by birthright. And as a result, they sent a message that what happened on the field -- the blood, tears and sacrifice that players made all season to win every game on their schedule -- was less important than getting the most compelling TV matchup.

But hey, there'll be a 12-team playoff next year, so all is forgiven, right?

Ehh, not really…whomever wrote this is clearly pro-Texas & anti-SEC. All of Bama’s warts were used to make his case. Reality is both Texas and Bama had warts, but b/c there is SEC/Bama fatigue it’s easy to pick on Bama rather than Texas being included at the expense of FSU. That 6-6 Auburn team would pretty much wipe the floor with just about everyone not named UT in the Big 12. I have a hard time believing any team other than Texas could do that in in a down SEC. But whatever…I’m just glad it’s done now.

Ehh, not really…whomever wrote this is clearly pro-Texas & anti-SEC. All of Bama’s warts were used to make his case. Reality is both Texas and Bama had warts, but b/c there is SEC/Bama fatigue it’s easy to pick on Bama rather than Texas being included at the expense of FSU. That 6-6 Auburn team would pretty much wipe the floor with just about everyone not named UT in the Big 12. I have a hard time believing any team other than Texas could do that in in a down SEC. But whatever…I’m just glad it’s done now.

The article wasn't pro UT or even about them.

If I was FSU, I wouldn't play in a bowl...those kids did everything they were supposed to as a Power 5, undefeated, conference champ squad. The decision should have been between UT and Alabama.
It’s easy for me to say, since it doesn’t impact me at all, but I’d love to see the FSU players decide not to play a bowl game. They got a raw deal here. They should be in over both Texas and Alabama.
The school and the conference get paid for the Bowl game. So, they're showing up.

There's never been a real national championship game in college football. It was once writers and coaches voting. Now it's a mini tournament created by college presidents to scoop up the most $$$. We watch because we love football. But they're trying real hard to kill that love.

The school and the conference get paid for the Bowl game. So, they're showing up.

There's never been a real national championship game in college football. It was once writers and coaches voting. Now it's a mini tournament created by college presidents to scoop up the most $$$. We watch because we love football. But they're trying real hard to kill that love.
I know the schools and conferences get paid for bowl games which adds to their normal TV contracts that also helps support other athletic programs.
College football needs to have a set order of non-subjective protocols for determining who gets into the playoffs that apply to all FBS schools.

In regards to some thinking Manning could enter portal if Ewers doesn't go pro:

If Arch Manning does enter the portal......even though it would be the longest of shots, I would surely hope Houston would make an active effort to bring him in for a visit. He'd be an instant hit that might get a lot of the Houston/Texas foorball talent to come in for a look.

If Arch Manning does enter the portal......even though it would be the longest of shots, I would surely hope Houston would make an active effort to bring him in for a visit. He'd be an instant hit that might get a lot of the Houston/Texas foorball talent to come in for a look.
Since that article, other has said Manning willing to play behind Ewers 2024 if needed.

Power 5 Conferences? Not in our house says Bill Hancock (CFP President)
The phrase "so-called P5 conference" drew consternation from Florida State officials and its fan base on social media because it implied the ACC was not one of the Power 5 conferences and had been treated in a similar manner to Liberty and other undefeated Group of 5 teams that did not make the playoff.

Hancock provided clarification on that phrasing to ESPN on Saturday morning, saying, "It is important to know that CFP doesn't use the term 'Power 5' or 'P5.' While the media and others use the term P5 to refer to the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC, we use the term 'A5' or 'Autonomy 5' instead."

He added that he used the phrase "so-called" to indicate it was not the official language of the playoff committee.

Power 5 and Autonomy 5 sounds like the same thing to me.

Alabama QB Jalen Milroe overcomes doubters, getting 'last laugh'
Just days away from leading Alabama into the College Football Playoff semifinal against Michigan, starting quarterback Jalen Milroe said Thursday that former Tide offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien once told him he shouldn't play quarterback.

"How would you feel if I told you [that] you suck?" Milroe said of what it was like to receive that remark from his former coordinator. "He told me a bunch of positions I could have switched to, but look where I'm at right now. Who gets the last laugh?"

OSU defense even without Eichenberg and Ransom looking very strong.

OSU whose QB transferred out had to start backup QB that got injured early is having to play with freshman QB and without Harrison. Only OSU's defense keeping them in the game where they lead Missouri 3-0 at the half

Missouri upsets OSU in the Cotton Bowl 14-3
Is this what the bowl season has become? OSU's best player opts out and they generate 3 points on offense. I fear that's what will happen to FSU in their game tomorrow vs. Georgia. Just too many players opting out for me to care about any of the non-playoff bowls.

Is this what the bowl season has become? OSU's best player opts out and they generate 3 points on offense. I fear that's what will happen to FSU in their game tomorrow vs. Georgia. Just too many players opting out for me to care about any of the non-playoff bowls.
OSU's QB also transferred out, their backup was injured early so the were having to play 3rd string freshman QB that was under duress all game. Missouri stacked the box so running game had no chance and they blitzed a ton. But yeah it's become a farce for most teams

Florida State's effectively playing their JV team. Georgia's talented enough they'd still likely be a slight dog with their full squad and Jordan Travis. This is just a lamb to slaughter.
I don't really know what to say about FSU playing their JV squad. There was a fear that they would be getting blown out in a playoff game which seemed to be the logic of why they were on the outside looking in. Do they get a pass because their players opted out against Georgia here? Also, doesn't the Orange bowl pay these schools a **** ton of money to play in their game? Shouldn't they get a refund from FSU for not showing up to play? 63-3 is pathetic.

George should be playing for the NC. They probably are the best team in college football.

Back