Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought of the Day

I don't really know what to say about FSU playing their JV squad. There was a fear that they would be getting blown out in a playoff game which seemed to be the logic of why they were on the outside looking in. Do they get a pass because their players opted out against Georgia here? Also, doesn't the Orange bowl pay these schools a **** ton of money to play in their game? Shouldn't they get a refund from FSU for not showing up to play? 63-3 is pathetic.

I'm not sure it's as simple as they just get a pass, and I say that as an FSU fan. They got their asses handed to them and that will forever be the record of this year's orange bowl, it is what it is. But for anyone who thinks it's interesting at all to look a little deeper there is a bit more context to it.

They had some dudes opt-out simply by virtue of entering the transfer portal. That in and of itself is just a growing norm in the game. They've also had dudes in the meantime look to commit to join the squad through the portal for next season at the same time. It's just the new age of college football 'free agency'.

They had quite a few dudes opt-out looking forward to the draft who almost certainly would've played had they been in the playoff. This is also a new normal in college football. If you've got 1st/2nd round picks on your squad and you're playing the Dollar Tree bowl don't expect them dudes to be there with their millions on the line.. and I don't at all fault them for that.

And then the perfect storm came with the CFP snub, which caused some guys to decide for one reason or another to move on and raised the total number to something pretty unreal.

With Jordan Travis, Trey Benson, Keon Coleman, Johnny Wilson, Jaheim Bell, Jared Verse, Fabian Lovett, Akeem Dent, DJ Lundy, etc available and ready to go I'm certain this game takes on a different look than the sad ass 63-3 we got. They'd still likely be the underdogs by a bit, but I believe it's certainly a worthwhile game.

And ultimately I'm not saying it's an overall pass they get, but in the evolving world of top level college football it just kinda is what the times say it is. It both sucks and is something for programs to watch and take note of.

Penix with a really bad decision to start the 2nd half

Which team will give him total control?

Chargers probably. They're at that time......have a top QB, offensive weapons, and pieces on the defense and OL. Chargers have been a top HC away for a few seasons now.....do they waste it all by not giving Harbaugh everything he wants, if he's willing to jump ship?

On the other hand, this Championship has probably given Harbaugh and Michigan...Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State clout. He may like his long term chances a lot more at Michigan.

Nicky boy said I can’t take this crap anymore & I don’t blame him. Between NIL, the transfer portal and now the 12 team playoff coming, the college game is just not what it once was.

Thing is, I’m of the thought that had they just skipped to the 8-12 team playoff from the jump instead of that BCS nonsense followed by the 4 team playoff, there probably is no transfer portal or NIL…at the very least it would’ve been delayed another 30 or so years.

Chip Kelly is 60, Which isn't too old for life, or even coaching. Just too old to deal with that shiite.

I agree. It's a smoldering mess.

Be interesting to see how often we see situations like this moving forward as long as things aren't done to wrangle the new cfb dynamics.

Reactions: JB
Education be damned.......

By Mike Florio
Published February 23, 2024 06:14 PM

The NCAA as we’ve known it is dead.

Specifically, the group that was created to enforce rules that are being systematically exposed as widespread antitrust violation has been gutted. And it will only get worse.

The latest confirmation that the body has no pulse comes from a federal court in Tennessee, which granted a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit attacking the NCAA’s rules regarding NIL payments. Specifically, the NCAA cannot punish athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals in the recruiting process, whether the athlete is picking his or her first school or whether he or she is in the transfer portal.

The ruling isn’t final, but preliminary injunctions — orders which force a defendant to do something or to stop doing something while a lawsuit is pending — don’t get entered unless the judge believes that there’s a strong likelihood that, when the final decision is made, the plaintiff will win.

It’s no surprise. The various colleges and universities are independent businesses. Under the federal antitrust laws, they can’t come together and agree to limitations on how people make money.

The violations have been hiding in plain sight for decades. The reckoning has arrived, and it keeps boomeranging around college sports, knocking down any efforts to limit individual revenue under the outdated and corrupt notion that there’s some inherent appeal to amateur athleticism.

The appeal is to those who would otherwise have to pay the athletes for their performances.

It’s going to keep happening until the NCAA cries uncle. At some point, there will be a massive verdict encompassing all of the antitrust violations that fall within the appropriate statute of limitations.

As we’ve said since the NIL floodgates first opened, the college sports system is getting the chaos that they deserve. The NCAA member universities managed to break the law and delay the full and final accounting, while exploiting young men and women for many, many years.

Weep not for the fat cats who essentially stole money by brainwashing everyone into thinking that tuition, fees, room, board, books, and snacks were more than good enough. It always should have been determined by the free and open market, with players striking the best deals they can with schools and boosters and anyone else who wants to pay them.

The time is coming for the NCAA and its member institutions to pay up. The time is overdue for the NCAA’s ability to tell athletes how they can and can’t earn money to perform a Triple Lindy into the dustbin of history.

Back