Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought of the Day

Education be damned.......

By Mike Florio
Published February 23, 2024 06:14 PM

The NCAA as we’ve known it is dead.

Specifically, the group that was created to enforce rules that are being systematically exposed as widespread antitrust violation has been gutted. And it will only get worse.

The latest confirmation that the body has no pulse comes from a federal court in Tennessee, which granted a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit attacking the NCAA’s rules regarding NIL payments. Specifically, the NCAA cannot punish athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals in the recruiting process, whether the athlete is picking his or her first school or whether he or she is in the transfer portal.

The ruling isn’t final, but preliminary injunctions — orders which force a defendant to do something or to stop doing something while a lawsuit is pending — don’t get entered unless the judge believes that there’s a strong likelihood that, when the final decision is made, the plaintiff will win.

It’s no surprise. The various colleges and universities are independent businesses. Under the federal antitrust laws, they can’t come together and agree to limitations on how people make money.

The violations have been hiding in plain sight for decades. The reckoning has arrived, and it keeps boomeranging around college sports, knocking down any efforts to limit individual revenue under the outdated and corrupt notion that there’s some inherent appeal to amateur athleticism.

The appeal is to those who would otherwise have to pay the athletes for their performances.

It’s going to keep happening until the NCAA cries uncle. At some point, there will be a massive verdict encompassing all of the antitrust violations that fall within the appropriate statute of limitations.

As we’ve said since the NIL floodgates first opened, the college sports system is getting the chaos that they deserve. The NCAA member universities managed to break the law and delay the full and final accounting, while exploiting young men and women for many, many years.

Weep not for the fat cats who essentially stole money by brainwashing everyone into thinking that tuition, fees, room, board, books, and snacks were more than good enough. It always should have been determined by the free and open market, with players striking the best deals they can with schools and boosters and anyone else who wants to pay them.

The time is coming for the NCAA and its member institutions to pay up. The time is overdue for the NCAA’s ability to tell athletes how they can and can’t earn money to perform a Triple Lindy into the dustbin of history.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. But when a recruit signs an NIL deal with a booster or a university that should be a binding contract and there should be no transfer portal.

All the NIL deal really did was change the amount of the baseline universities have to pay to get athletes to come to their school.

Reactions: JB
But when a recruit signs an NIL deal with a booster or a university that should be a binding contract and there should be no transfer portal.
When a coach signs a contract with a university, that should be binding. And he should not be allowed to break the deal and move on to a better school with better $$$.

If you don't agree with the latter, then the former is hypocritical.

When a coach signs a contract with a university, that should be binding. And he should not be allowed to break the deal and move on to a better school with better $$$.

If you don't agree with the latter, then the former is hypocritical.
I agree with you.

They could put buyouts in the NIL's if a player wanted to transfer more than once.

I agree with you.

They could put buyouts in the NIL's if a player wanted to transfer more than once.
I guess the problem would be if College A wanted to put these transfer clauses in, there's College B who won't force these clauses to be included. Trying to put restrictions on the marketplace can get tricky.

I guess the problem would be if College A wanted to put these transfer clauses in, there's College B who won't force these clauses to be included. Trying to put restrictions on the marketplace can get tricky.
The NCAa comes up with a standard contract for all of the member institutions to follow.

I still think if the UFL wanted to throw some future concern at CFB.....they would start signing some of the starting CFB caliber HS football talent to contracts and let them focus on football 24/7 to better prepare them for the NFL. Someone has to be the first to challenge CFB's money making monopoly......might as well be the UFL.

I still think if the UFL wanted to throw some future concern at CFB.....they would start signing some of the starting CFB caliber HS football talent to contracts and let them focus on football 24/7 to better prepare them for the NFL. Someone has to be the first to challenge CFB's money making monopoly......might as well be the UFL.
You're just wanting football to go the way of the NBA :D

Force CFB's hand to what?

Let them start by signing a few top 5 star HS athletes and lets see how CFB reacts.

It would be interesting to see how the schools that figure those top athletes are theirs to haggle over, would react when a new option is on the scene for those athletes, who may have no real desire to spend any more time in a classroom, but have an option of being paid “legally” as a professional athlete while learning their trade.

Let them start by signing a few top 5 star HS athletes and lets see how CFB reacts.

It would be interesting to see how the schools that figure those top athletes are theirs to haggle over, would react when a new option is on the scene for those athletes, who may have no real desire to spend any more time in a classroom, but have an option of being paid “legally” as a professional athlete while learning their trade.

Ok, but force their hand to do what exactly?

I thought you had some intent in mind..

Also, cfb players are already paid legally..

UFL players get paid $5,500 per game week. Less than $60K a year. They're not going to pay HS players more than that so how are they going to compete with NIL?

Ok, but force their hand to do what exactly?

I thought you had some intent in mind..

Also, cfb players are already paid legally..

A pay for play salary scale. Bring to the table instead of under the table. Players are permitted to make money on their name. I’d like to dissolve their monopoly on student athletes using CFB as their sole gateway to the professional football. Sure less than <1% have made it to professional football via tryouts, but in no way does that establish a standard.

This could force CFB to establish a pay-scale or HS athletes to sign with an agent who would negotiate a contract with the school. Of course, if this were to come to fruition…..schools would pass that new cost on to the students who are attending the school for an advanced education. Schools participating in CFB at the Division I level are profiting massively, like a business, versus offering an affordable education to all b/c of the money their team brings into the school.

I’d like to see HS football players have the option of getting an education while playing CFB or playing football professionally as a FT athlete.

A pay for play salary scale. Bring to the table instead of under the table. Players are permitted to make money on their name. I’d like to dissolve their monopoly on student athletes using CFB as their sole gateway to the professional football. Sure less than <1% have made it to professional football via tryouts, but in no way does that establish a standard.

This could force CFB to establish a pay-scale or HS athletes to sign with an agent who would negotiate a contract with the school. Of course, if this were to come to fruition…..schools would pass that new cost on to the students who are attending the school for an advanced education. Schools participating in CFB at the Division I level are profiting massively, like a business, versus offering an affordable education to all b/c of the money their team brings into the school.

I’d like to see HS football players have the option of getting an education while playing CFB or playing football professionally as a FT athlete.

The money in cfb isn't under the table. A federal court just ruled that pay for play is legit for college football.

And like JB said that money is far more lucrative than what any minor league is paying guys.

UFL players get paid $5,500 per game week. Less than $60K a year. They're not going to pay HS players more than that so how are they going to compete with NIL?

The NIL is not a guaranteed CFB pay-scale on the table for all. The NIL would only work for those student/athletes who have a marketable name, image, and likeness. This to isn’t guaranteed for all…..depends on the state the athlete plays in and/or the rules their school has in place for NIL.

There’s many ways the UFL could sweeten their pie so student/athletes could entertain the idea of bypassing CFB for an environment that would be football focused day-in and day-out.

I’m trying to attach a link: mailto?:subject=This%20article%20might%20interest%20you%3A%20NCAA%20Name%2C%20Image%2C%C2%A0Likeness%20Rule&body=Here%27s%20the%20link%3A%20%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncsasports.org%2Fname-image-likeness

Hope it works. Looks like it’s going to be a copy and paste affair…sorry about that. iPad makes it more difficult.

Last edited:
The NIL is not a guaranteed CFB pay-scale on the table for all. The NIL would only work for those student/athletes who have a marketable name, image, and likeness. This to isn’t guaranteed for all…..depends on the state the athlete plays in and/or the rules their school has in place for NIL.

There’s many ways the UFL could sweeten their pie so student/athletes could entertain the idea of bypassing CFB for an environment that would be football focused day-in and day-out.

I’m trying to attach a link: mailto?:subject=This%20article%20might%20interest%20you%3A%20NCAA%20Name%2C%20Image%2C%C2%A0Likeness%20Rule&body=Here%27s%20the%20link%3A%20%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncsasports.org%2Fname-image-likeness

Hope it works. Looks like it’s going to be a copy and paste affair…sorry about that. iPad makes it more difficult.
I don't want to see a lot more 19-20 yr old kids in pro football. Talent pool is thin as it is

I love the competition in CFB and all that other sh!t, but I hate the CFB system with all my being. Anything that brings any competition to the CFB monopoly on "developing" football talent out of HS, I will embrace.

Quinn Ewers, though not eligible for the 2024 draft, will throw at Texas Pro Day
By Mike Florio
Published March 20, 2024 09:31 AM

It’s Pro Day season, and one player who’s a season away from the pros will be getting in on the action.

Via Mike Garafolo of NFL Media, Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers will throw at the school’s Pro Day workout.

Ewers enters his third college season in 2023. He played at Ohio State in 2021 before transferring to Texas. He threw for 3,479 yards in 12 games last year.

He’s expected to be one of the top quarterback prospects in 2025. He has another year of college football to play. He’s nevertheless showing up and throwing to his draft-eligible teammates on Wednesday.

Ewers is the first player who received a seven-figure NIL deal. He could have plenty of money in the bank by next year, which will give him plenty of leverage and power if/when a team he doesn’t want to play for is thinking about picking him.

I remember that site. I think at some point you had to be a subscriber to make trades in the simulator.

The history of the NFL draft guru analysis would be a good read. Starting with the late Joel Buschbaum, Mel Kiper, Ourlads, and Rob Rang. If someone writes a book on this, I'd buy it.
Liked for Buschbaum reference.

RIP Joel

Money is king!..........long live the king!...........

A college “Super League” could bring NFL-style features (salary cap, draft, trades) to college football
Published April 5, 2024 06:36 AM

A “Super League” might be the only way to save college football. Because that would be the only way to control the chaos that has emerged from the crumbling of the NCAA model, which is rife with violations of federal antitrust laws.

The key is the one thing college football has resisted: Unionization of the workforce that the powers-that-be have refused to call a workforce. Now that the players have the power, a union might be college football’s only hope.
The key is what the law calls a multi-employer bargaining unit. That’s what allows otherwise independent decisions to come together and impose rules regarding player acquisition, compensation, and retention that, without a union, are antitrust violations.

For starters, there would likely be some sort of spending limit, otherwise known as a salary cap. The various programs would have only so much to spend. That would protect the entire system from implosion, if/when some of the university presidents decide to go hog wild when it comes to paying players.

That existence and extent of a salary cap would be one of the things to be negotiated with a union. Another reality would (or at least could) be firm contractual commitments, which would restrict if not eliminate the transfer portal. The incoming player would sign a contract for a fixed period of time — one year, two years, four years, even the full five years of eligibility.

Eligibility also would be negotiable. Could college football players stay longer than five years? It would all come down to what management and labor agree to do.

What about trades? Could they happen? If the Collective Bargaining Agreement contemplates it, they could.

And here’s the thing that could (but shouldn’t) happen. A college football draft. No more recruiting. The schools simply call dibs on incoming players, the same way the NFL does.

Basically, college football would look a lot more like pro football. Which is appropriate, because it’s been pro football for decades, with the players shut out from participating in the proceeds. The abuses extended beyond refusing to pay the players to preventing them from earning any money based on their names, images, and likenesses.

The NIL barrier was the first to go, and the old guard lost their minds. Nick Saban took his Little Debbie oatmeal pies and went home, citing (God forbid) the fact that players now want to know how much they’re going to be paid.
Those pushing for a “Super League” aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They believe it’s the only way to stave off the potential collapse of conferences and shuttering of programs for schools that realize the legal fees and settlements/judgments are making it impossible to balance the budget.

College football is experiencing the chaos it deserves. The “Super League” isn’t an innovation. It’s a Hail Mary.

Money is king!..........long live the king!...........

A college “Super League” could bring NFL-style features (salary cap, draft, trades) to college football
Published April 5, 2024 06:36 AM

A “Super League” might be the only way to save college football. Because that would be the only way to control the chaos that has emerged from the crumbling of the NCAA model, which is rife with violations of federal antitrust laws.

The key is the one thing college football has resisted: Unionization of the workforce that the powers-that-be have refused to call a workforce. Now that the players have the power, a union might be college football’s only hope.
The key is what the law calls a multi-employer bargaining unit. That’s what allows otherwise independent decisions to come together and impose rules regarding player acquisition, compensation, and retention that, without a union, are antitrust violations.

For starters, there would likely be some sort of spending limit, otherwise known as a salary cap. The various programs would have only so much to spend. That would protect the entire system from implosion, if/when some of the university presidents decide to go hog wild when it comes to paying players.

That existence and extent of a salary cap would be one of the things to be negotiated with a union. Another reality would (or at least could) be firm contractual commitments, which would restrict if not eliminate the transfer portal. The incoming player would sign a contract for a fixed period of time — one year, two years, four years, even the full five years of eligibility.

Eligibility also would be negotiable. Could college football players stay longer than five years? It would all come down to what management and labor agree to do.

What about trades? Could they happen? If the Collective Bargaining Agreement contemplates it, they could.

And here’s the thing that could (but shouldn’t) happen. A college football draft. No more recruiting. The schools simply call dibs on incoming players, the same way the NFL does.

Basically, college football would look a lot more like pro football. Which is appropriate, because it’s been pro football for decades, with the players shut out from participating in the proceeds. The abuses extended beyond refusing to pay the players to preventing them from earning any money based on their names, images, and likenesses.

The NIL barrier was the first to go, and the old guard lost their minds. Nick Saban took his Little Debbie oatmeal pies and went home, citing (God forbid) the fact that players now want to know how much they’re going to be paid.
Those pushing for a “Super League” aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They believe it’s the only way to stave off the potential collapse of conferences and shuttering of programs for schools that realize the legal fees and settlements/judgments are making it impossible to balance the budget.

College football is experiencing the chaos it deserves. The “Super League” isn’t an innovation. It’s a Hail Mary.
I'm in favor of whatever it takes to break the CFB system that has existed for decades, where money was always the king.

I’m not sure CFB will ever get past their own greed. UFL would still be an awesome place to start, by pulling a few bricks out of CFB’s foundation. They could open the league to any HS player that meets the requirements physically and would like to play football full time and get a legal payday to do so. Sure the NIL offers something similar to a few of those type of athletes, but it isn’t welcomed in every state at this time. UFL would be the alternate source in every state which a team is based.

I’ve been beating this drum since 1997…..the UFL could be the best bet to finally make a move for some of that HS talent instead of standing by while CFB possesses the monopoly.

Last edited:
I’m not sure CFB will ever get past their own greed. UFL would still be an awesome place to start, by pulling a few bricks out of CFB’s foundation. They could open the league to any HS player that meets the requirements physically and would like to play football full time and get a legal payday to do so. Sure the NIL offers something similar to those few athletes, but it isn’t welcomed in every state at this time. UFL would be the alternate source in every state which a team is based.

I’ve been beating this drum since 1997…..the UFL could be the best bet to finally make a move for some of that HS talent instead of standing by while CFB possesses the monopoly.
Just as important, players would not be paid for and hide behind a sham college degree.

I’m not sure CFB will ever get past their own greed. UFL would still be an awesome place to start, by pulling a few bricks out of CFB’s foundation. They could open the league to any HS player that meets the requirements physically and would like to play football full time and get a legal payday to do so. Sure the NIL offers something similar to a few of those type of athletes, but it isn’t welcomed in every state at this time. UFL would be the alternate source in every state which a team is based.

What would those physical requirements be exactly?

And which are these states that don't allow NIL to college athletes?

What would those physical requirements be exactly?

And which are these states that don't allow NIL to college athletes?

You can Google search the NIL states.

I would leave that up to individual teams since the HS athletes who wanted to make the jump would go into a pool and then be drafted by UFL teams. If a HS athlete feels like they’re ready to compete with bigger and older players, have them assessed by teams to determine if they would be drafted. There’s a lot of first year Freshmen that play 1st year of D1 CFB…..those players could be anywhere from 4-6 years older.

You can Google search the NIL states.

I would leave that up to individual teams since the HS athletes who wanted to make the jump would go into a pool and then be drafted by UFL teams. If a HS athlete feels like they’re ready to compete with bigger and older players, have them assessed by teams to determine if they would be drafted. There’s a lot of first year Freshmen that play 1st year of D1 CFB…..those players could be anywhere from 4-6 years older.

You can google NIL states, since you made the claim.

And so you don't have a criteria, ok.

Also, and I assume you know this, but D1 isn't the pros.

At least they got the championship before ... things hit the fan
No surprise there

I don't blame Harbaugh a bit.

I don't blame Harbaugh a bit.
I don't know why the NCAA still exists, other than dole out the TV money. Who gives a $&!% about recruiting violations, anymore?

Back