Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought of the Day

I'll never forget the trophy celebration when everyone on the podium was smiling and laughing. Except one person: Bob Costas. He looked like his dog ran away.

ratio3x2_1150.jpg

new-york-knicks-vs-houston-rockets-1994-nba-finals.webp
IIRC, Bob Costas was pissed because the Rockets PA took the wind out of his sails and introduced the commissioner instead of him. So, he just stood there and had to hand the mic over instead of speaking.

What is the core issue with the Aggies? They can always get the talent, but for some reason they can never find a HC/Staff that can get that talent to function on the field. Do the HC's suddenly become stupid when they arrive at A&M? Are the Aggie Boosters getting too much say on how things are done? Have the Aggies failed b/c they just can't seem to recruit a top tier QB? I hope they finally get it right so they can elevate the Aggies back to a high CFB status.

If Arch Manning is seriously contemplating the transfer portal.....Aggies should be the team at his door everyday. He might be a solid start in rebuilding their image.

What is the core issue with the Aggies? They can always get the talent, but for some reason they can never find a HC/Staff that can get that talent to function on the field. Do the HC's suddenly become stupid when they arrive at A&M? Are the Aggie Boosters getting too much say on how things are done? Have the Aggies failed b/c they just can't seem to recruit a top tier QB? I hope they finally get it right so they can elevate the Aggies back to a high CFB status.

If Arch Manning is seriously contemplating the transfer portal.....Aggies should be the team at his door everyday. He might be a solid start in rebuilding their image.

The Aggies don't need a new QB1, they just need to keep him upright. Weigman looked legit until he went down with the ankle injury.

ESPN put out an article about Jimbo's tenure. Dude was letting players miss weights, practice, etc. Refused to hand over the keys to the offense until it was too late, and then when he did bring in Petrino, made Petrino call plays out of Jimbo's playbook.

I think Jimbo was convinced that everything except his offense was the problem. It won a natty in 2013 (all Jameis) so why wouldn't it succeed again? Wasted a couple of championship calibre A&M defenses while he was here because he refused to modernize. In the NIL recruiting era, A&M needs to find a coach that can do two things:

1. Recruit
2. Identify and hire good coordinators

Sumlin could do 1, but not 2. Jimbo could do 1 even better, but was somehow worse than Sumlin at 2.

Billy Liucci of TexAgs (hate him or love him, he usually tends to be right in the end about A&M coaching searches) - has mentioned that A&M has interviewed Mike Elko (Duke), Jeff Traylor (UTSA), and Lance Leipold (Kansas). Leipold would be my favorite out of this group because you have to be a wizard to win at Kansas...

They're also targeting Kalen DeBoer (Washington) though he said that it was a long shot as Washington is negotiating a raise, and A&M is not willing to pay another Fisher-type premium to grab a coach unless someone like Ryan Day was potentially available. More realistic targets from the PAC-12 are Johnathan Smith (Oregon State) and Jedd Fisch (Arizona).

Out of those six names, I'll toss away DeBoer (don't see him leaving a good program), A&M is clearly looking at HCs who are winning in historically difficult-to-win programs. I think Fisch has done an incredible job at Arizona. Leipold is great too but he's nearly 60. Smith would be my #2 preferred target. Dude has Oregon State knocking at the door of a NY6 bowl and possibly the playoffs which is incredible.

It appears that, a couple upsets withstanding, this coming weekend has the final four pretty fairly in focus.

- Georgia/Alabama is a defacto playoff entry game. Hate it or not if Alabama wins the SEC by beating the no. 1 team in the country they're leapfrogging enough to get in.

- Michigan is a win and get in of course, and exceedingly unlikely they don't get it done.

- Washington/Oregon is another defacto playoff entry game. Washington's pov is obvious, but just too big a game so late in the season to not punch Oregon's card with a win.

So that leaves 1 spot seemingly up for grabs..

If Florida St. beats Louisville they appear all but officially in that spot. The argument against is obviously losing their MVP point-man QB, but the only remaining undefeated power 5 team is hard to argue against.

Now, should any upsets occur we're looking at all kinds of super fun CFB nonsense..

Can Texas break through as Big-12 champs?
Can Georgia still make it as a 1-loss team with a crazy razor-thin loss in the SEC title game?
Can OSU sneak their way back in if more than one upset takes place this weekend?

Funny how we've got this quirky as all get out 8-team play-in 'tournament' final weekend to find the final 4 playoff teams. I'm not radically against the new 12-team format, but I'm definitely gonna miss this unique element moving forward.

It appears that, a couple upsets withstanding, this coming weekend has the final four pretty fairly in focus.

- Georgia/Alabama is a defacto playoff entry game. Hate it or not if Alabama wins the SEC by beating the no. 1 team in the country they're leapfrogging enough to get in.

- Michigan is a win and get in of course, and exceedingly unlikely they don't get it done.

- Washington/Oregon is another defacto playoff entry game. Washington's pov is obvious, but just too big a game so late in the season to not punch Oregon's card with a win.

So that leaves 1 spot seemingly up for grabs..

If Florida St. beats Louisville they appear all but officially in that spot. The argument against is obviously losing their MVP point-man QB, but the only remaining undefeated power 5 team is hard to argue against.

Now, should any upsets occur we're looking at all kinds of super fun CFB nonsense..

Can Texas break through as Big-12 champs?
Can Georgia still make it as a 1-loss team with a crazy razor-thin loss in the SEC title game?
Can OSU sneak their way back in if more than one upset takes place this weekend?

Funny how we've got this quirky as all get out 8-team play-in 'tournament' final weekend to find the final 4 playoff teams. I'm not radically against the new 12-team format, but I'm definitely gonna miss this unique element moving forward.
Haven't seen the rankings yet after this past weekend. But if Alabama wins over Georgia in the SEC title game, I don't think that should be enough to overtake wins by Michigan, Washington, FSU and a 1 loss Georgia team. Granted the Louisville loss to Kentucky could hurt FSU if FSU beats them in the ACC title game. IMO, the wildcard is Washington. I think Oregon beats them this go round. I never cared to understand how the CFP rankings are constructed but with all the teams in CFB, having only a 4 team playoff seemed to limit a true representation compared to how many teams compete. It's gonna be some good games to watch this weekend (on paper at least).

Haven't seen the rankings yet after this past weekend. But if Alabama wins over Georgia in the SEC title game, I don't think that should be enough to overtake wins by Michigan, Washington, FSU and a 1 loss Georgia team. Granted the Louisville loss to Kentucky could hurt FSU if FSU beats them in the ACC title game. IMO, the wildcard is Washington. I think Oregon beats them this go round. I never cared to understand how the CFP rankings are constructed but with all the teams in CFB, having only a 4 team playoff seemed to limit a true representation compared to how many teams compete. It's gonna be some good games to watch this weekend (on paper at least).

I may be misunderstanding here, but you're saying you'd take Georgia in the CFP final four over Alabama even if Alabama were to beat Georgia in the SEC title game this weekend?

Reactions: JB
I'm thinking these teams win this weekend, if this happens who gets in the playoffs?

Georgia
Michigan
Oregon St.
Fla. St.
Texas

I may be misunderstanding here, but you're saying you'd take Georgia in the CFP final four over Alabama even if Alabama were to beat Georgia in the SEC title game this weekend?
Yeah I did, here's why. If Michigan, Washington and FSU win they will each be an undefeated Power 5 conference champ and I don't think it's ever happened that a team with those credentials got left out. So with 1 spot left, let's look at Alabama beating Georgia. In all the current polls Georgia is #1 and Alabama is #8, I don't think Georgia will drop below Alabama even if Alabama is crowned the SEC champ. But let's say the rankings reflect Alabama ahead of Georgia, a case could probably be made that perhaps both get left out of the playoffs vs Alabama getting in. As a result, shouldn't the Longhorns get that 4th playoff spot since they beat Bama this year in Tuscaloosa and they both will be a Power 5, 1 loss conference champ? To avoid that, I could see Georgia getting in and the committee using their #1 ranking all year and the optics to land them that 4th playoff spot.

I just don't see FSU getting in without their qb, best win was week 1 right?

I also don't see Bama beating Georgia

Georgia
Michigan
Oregon after beating Washington
#4 ???

If 4 was Washington after another nail biter vs Oregon I'd be fine. Oregon blew that game earlier in season

Texas needed to win v OU. Sorry big 12 is was it is

Washington Huskies are a very polished, sound football team, very few weaknesses and future NFL starters all over that roster including a franchise QB. If any team can beat Georgia/Michigan, they may be “the one”. PAC 12 going out with bang ❗

I think it's gonna be tight between him and Jayden Daniels. Speaking of Heisman, I was just re-watching highlights of that RB at OK St in 1988 and it's pure insanity.

Daniels shouldn’t win it imo. Sure the numbers look great and every guy before him with those types of numbers won it, but each of those guys either had big wins at 1 point in the season, or his team was in contention at the end. Daniel’s doesn’t really have any of those. Penix not only has the numbers, he’s been consistent, he’s had huge wins against top teams and his team has remained in contention all year. It’s no contest imo.

Daniels shouldn’t win it imo. Sure the numbers look great and every guy before him with those types of numbers won it, but each of those guys either had big wins at 1 point in the season, or his team was in contention at the end. Daniel’s doesn’t really have any of those. Penix not only has the numbers, he’s been consistent, he’s had huge wins against top teams and his team has remained in contention all year. It’s no contest imo.
You know who he reminds me of? A more athletic, Kenny Stabler.

He's definitely checks all the boxes and if he wins he's more than deserving. But Daniels will be in the picture with those gaudy stats playing in the SEC. I can't remember the specifics but didn't Lamar Jackson win the Heisman without significant success or a signature win by his team?

He's definitely checks all the boxes and if he wins he's more than deserving. But Daniels will be in the picture with those gaudy stats playing in the SEC. I can't remember the specifics but didn't Lamar Jackson win the Heisman without significant success or a signature win by his team?

And he won it over Deshaun Watson's final season with his own gaudy numbers and a CFP championship win over Alabama..

I dunno why would ESPN or anyone else telecast a game in this area involving Appalachian State ?

I dunno why would ESPN or anyone else telecast a game in this area involving Appalachian State ?
Not many games on today so they're broadcasting whatever is available. Plus I think the Power 5 conference championship games have contracts with the Big 3 networks (ABC/CBS/Fox) which bring a larger audience.

2PM - Boise St vs UNLV on Fox
3PM - GA vs Bama on CBS
3PM - SMU vs Tulane on ABC
3PM - Appalachian St vs Troy on ESPN

Macmillan WR from Washington looked every bit as good as Odunze..
He was leading WR 2022 but knee injury and has been sporadic this season.
Jalen McMillan drew a couple of plays against Utah, still not quite right with his injured knee. Denzel Boston couldn't finish against the Utes. Giles Jackson never got started. McMillan, last year's leading receiver with 79 catches, appeared in his sixth game against Utah, but half of them have been brief comeback attempts that didn't get too far.
Still, McMillan has now gone two full months without catching a pass for unbeaten and fifth-ranked UW (10-0 overall, 7-0 Pac-12) after hauling in 20 in the first three games.
Boston, a redshirt freshman

STATS https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4430834/jalen-mcmillan

People keep saying Texas should be in over Bama based on their win earlier over Alabama. But wouldn't a win today for Alabama put them in over Georgia with this exact reasoning?

People keep saying Texas should be in over Bama based on their win earlier over Alabama. But wouldn't a win today for Alabama put them in over Georgia with this exact reasoning?
It's the reason the hot topic is what if Bama wins along with Washington, FSU, Michigan and Texas. Does the SEC get left out?

It's the reason the hot topic is what if Bama wins along with Washington, FSU, Michigan and Texas. Does the SEC get left out?
I hope FSU loses their game. Best four teams in college football are Georgia, Michigan, Texas and Alabama. Washington is going to get in over one of the teams already. If Georgia comes back and beats Bama then everything would seem fine. Georgia loses then there will be chaos.

I hope FSU loses their game. Best four teams in college football are Georgia, Michigan, Texas and Alabama. Washington is going to get in over one of the teams already. If Georgia comes back and beats Bama then everything would seem fine. Georgia loses then there will be chaos.
I want the chaos just to see how it plays out, need Bama to hang on and FSU to win.

agreed, but you could see how special Jackson was. Louisville’s no where close to 9 wins without that dude doing what he was doing. With Daniels, I don’t see much in the way of special, just a guy stuffing the stat sheets. That came with him & LSU knowing their season was pretty much over after wk. 1 when they were Molly-whipped by FSU.

Back