Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cooks is coming off his worst season as a pro and hasn't played a down for the Texans. Let's cool the guaranteed $$$$ talk until after it's warranted.
Steel's point seems to be correct and on target, pointing out Cook may be cut or renegotiated to Texans benefit. He was not suggesting increasing GTD $ in future. I think you mis-read or mis-understood. This is exactly type info we should be posting.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
He was not suggesting increasing GTD $ in future. I think you mis-read or mis-understood.
Yep, but the guaranteed $$$$ has run out, so he can be re-signed on a cheaper deal with more guaranteed $$$$.
Have I entered the twilight zone? Where more guaranteed money does not mean increasing guaranteed money?

Next, you'll tell me left is right. Up is down.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have I entered the twilight zone? Where more guaranteed money does not mean increasing guaranteed money?

I'm talking about renegotiating his contract after this season. After you get an idea if Cooks can stay healthy. It's not a matter of health with Cooks. What do you think a new contract would look like if Cooks stays healthy and is productive? The point is the Texans will be in good cap shape after this yr, whether they keep DJ and Cooks or they let them walk because there are avenues to lower or cut them for cap savings if they dont produce.

The cap situation would've been worse if the had kept Nuk on his current deal while he was unhappy. Or in even worse shape if they had re-signed Nuk to a 20 mil per yr deal over 5 yrs. To me Nuk, while a really good WR isn't worth 20 mil per yr.

This has nothing to do with this yr.

badboy

Hall of Fame

you

I meant and I think Steel meant the future of his current deal has no guaranteed money. Steel also said that he hoped that Cook would have the kind of a season that would lead to a future contract with GTD $. Irregardless, several of us on the MB want to discuss this sort of things . Of course you do not have to.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
DW4 doesn't need anybody

He's the Houston Watson's
Deshaun Watson doesn't need Houston, they're still the Houston Shites.....even with Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, etc.....they're still the shiteiest overall organization in the NFL. Gotta fix the organization and team before you try to isolate a single player's issues.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The value is terrible. Cooks had nothing to do with the return value for Hopkins
based on what AZ did and Nuk’s numbers this year vs Cooks.....& DW4 responding by having his best season yet.....The best season a QB has ever had in franchise history, I think it’s pretty clear Nuk’s value was overestimated...especially on this website.

Cooks put up the numbers he did missing 2 games and receiving 40 less targets...

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
based on what AZ did and Nuk’s numbers this year vs Cooks.....& DW4 responding by having his best season yet.....The best season a QB has ever had in franchise history, I think it’s pretty clear Nuk’s value was overestimated...especially on this website.

Cooks put up the numbers he did missing 2 games and receiving 40 less targets...
My thoughts exactly. I love Nuke, but he is replaceable....as Cooks proved this season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Besides taking on Johnson's contract in that trade, on the surface it isn't as horrible as perceived looking back.
Good thing is they can easily get out from under DJ's contract this offseason with a minimal cap hit. This is the reason I didn't have an issue with DJ being in the trade.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Hopkin's value to the team may have been overvalued... but I don't think we overvalued a 3 time all-pro. We should have got more in return.
by virtue of us basing his value off his credentials from the past on our team, we ARE overvaluing him....maybe not by a lot, but we are overvaluing.

using your logic, a trade of JJ Watt a former 3X DPOY and 5X all-pro should net us a boatload in return...and obviously we know that’s not at all an accurate representation of his value at this point in his career.......even though he also had more ints than some of our starting CB’s, and also led the team in sacks....

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
using your logic, a trade of JJ Watt a former 3X DPOY and 5X all-pro should net us a boatload in return...
No, that's not my logic.

If he just came off his 3rd DPOY season, or his 5th All-Pro season, yes. We should expect a boatload. But if we're coming off the first full season he's played in the last 4 seasons, not so much.

Besides taking on Johnson's contract in that trade, on the surface it isn't as horrible as perceived looking back.
Like all Bill O'Brien screwups, you have to look at the cascading effects of his buffoonery:

We traded: Hopkins, a top 7 WR the past 4 years (per PFF) who was signed for 2020, 2021, and 2022
For:
  1. One year rental of David Johnson (HIGHLY overpaid, RB whom the Cards couldn't give away). David Johnson rated #53 of 70 RBs by PFF Grade.
  2. 2nd round pick (used on Ross Blacklock, Rated #130 of 130 Interior Defenders by PFF…yes, dead last). LIKELY BUST at this point, albeit early.
  3. 2021 4th round pick (likely to be about pick #130).
That was a terrible haul for a perennial all-pro in his prime, and under contract for 3 years. It also necessitated BOB the buffoon backfilling Hopkins with two other moves:
  1. Signing Randall Cobb to a 3-year $27 million contract, with $18 million guaranteed (with all 3 years in his age 30 seasons). The contract stupidly includes a $12.5 Cap hit if we cut him this offseason...which leaves us with little flexibility to use the WR dollars on Cooks or Fuller.
  2. Trading a second round pick (used by the Rams to draft WR Van Jefferson, PFF grade of 67.1 as a rookie) for Brandin Cooks, who's had a half dozen concussions, and had a similar contract as Hopkins. Thank goodness he made it through 2020 without another concussion issue, and had a really good season. However, given his salary cap numbersfor 2021 and 2022, Cooks could still be only a rental...particularly if we make a push to re-sign Fuller. We can't afford both, given the Cobb contract.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I never had a problem with the Cooks trade. He's been a good, productive wr every yr except on. At 13m next season, he's a good value. Every team in college throws the ball alot, there will be wrs in the mid rounds of the draft. Coutee can play and Hanson looks like he can also. They can add a outside another outside wr from the draft or someone on the cheap like Josh Reynolds .

Texian

Hall of Fame
Another real bonehead decision from this new management team. Before restructuring Cooks was a $10MM cap savings if cut or TRADED, now he's $9.8MM in Dead Money. With or without Cooks Texans are bottom dwellers in 2021 and 2022. After that Cooks is free agent. Trade him with DW4 and get some high draft picks for the rebuild is the smart thing to do. Bassackward thinking here by Caserio.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Another real bonehead decision from this new management team. Before restructuring Cooks was a $10MM cap savings if cut or TRADED, now he's $9.8MM in Dead Money. With or without Cooks Texans are bottom dwellers in 2021 and 2022. After that Cooks is free agent. Trade him with DW4 and get some high draft picks for the rebuild is the smart thing to do. Bassackward thinking here by Caserio.
eh , they have to have someone to chuck the ball too .... Cooks is as good as any for under $6m cap hit.
I like this move much more than restructuring David Johnson - at least Cooks has been reasonably productive.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe they want to keep Cooks around a couple of more yrs to be a vet receiving option for a young QB or to help teach new young WR's how to be a pro. Or if DW4 stays he obviously likes throwing to Cooks. You gotta have some vets to teach the young guys the ropes.

Texian

Hall of Fame
eh , they have to have someone to chuck the ball too .... Cooks is as good as any for under $6m cap hit.
I like this move much more than restructuring David Johnson - at least Cooks has been reasonably productive.
Cooks has been a 1000 yd receiver 4 of the last 5 years. Yeah he's better than most. If you could reduce cap by $10MM and get a high draft pick(s) as part of the rebuild why not do it? Cooks is going to waste away in Houston the next 2 years while Texans are cellar dwellers and then become a free agent in 2023. This year's draft class has an unusually high number of very good WRs.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Maybe they want to keep Cooks around a couple of more yrs to be a vet receiving option for a young QB or to help teach new young WR's how to be a pro. Or if DW4 stays he obviously likes throwing to Cooks. You gotta have some vets to teach the young guys the ropes.
That's what coaches are for.

They didn't have to do the restructure now. They could've waited until after the draft or until the DW4 situation had been settled to do the restructure. If they trade DW4 and Cooks they could use a late 1st or early 2nd to draft Kadarius Toney from FL. That's how you rebuild.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

They didn't have to do the restructure now. They could've waited until after the draft or until the DW4 situation had been settled to do the restructure.
Maybe they wanted the extra cap room for FA?

Maybe they already know how the DW4 situation is going to be settled. I'm betting they do.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

They didn't have to do the restructure now. They could've waited until after the draft or until the DW4 situation had been settled to do the restructure. If they trade DW4 and Cooks they could use a late 1st or early 2nd to draft Kadarius Toney from FL. That's how you rebuild.
Is it true that Cooks has no guaranteed money left?

If so, couldn't the Texans just cut him and use part of the $12M to sign another veteran player?

As it is, if the Texans keep Cooks for 2 years, it would be like a $25.5M 2-yr deal.

Could they find somebody better with a similar deal or somebody for less with roughly the same potential (but with less risk in case of a concussion)?