Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Arian Foster reported to have serious groin injury

I'd argue Ray Rice still can do a lot of the same things in terms of receiving out of the backfield. His blocking isn't as good though. For a team with young wide receivers and two quarterbacks with little experience that isn't a bad thing. I know his 2013 stats were disappointing running the ball but they were quite good the previous three seasons. He didn't play in 2014 and got to rest his body. I think he'd have a lot to prove but whatever. Believe it or not, I used to laugh at Baltimore fans when they said he was as good as Foster. Now not so much because our guy is at the tail end of his career also.

Ray Rice - Age 28, 6 seasons, 1430 carries, 6180 yards = In His Prime because sat out last season

Arian Foster - Age 28, 6 seasons, 1391 carries, 6309 yards = Tail End of Career because he is injured the first half of this season

Nope, no bias here.

Ray Rice - Age 28, 6 seasons, 1430 carries, 6180 yards = In His Prime because sat out last season

Arian Foster - Age 28, 6 seasons, 1391 carries, 6309 yards = Tail End of Career because he is injured the first half of this season

Nope, no bias here.
Both of them are at the tail end of their careers to be honest, but Ray Rice hasn't played in an NFL game in an awfully long time (2013 season) and has a lot to prove. He can be signed to the veteran minimum and is just looking for a chance to play hard in 2015. Truth be told if Ray Rice never played again he should feel satisfied. He has a Super Bowl ring to fall back on.

Arian Foster is being paid superstar money for the position, always has various lingering injuries every season (at least in recent seasons), and is out for half the season for the second time in three years, and he's entering the final year of his big contract next year.

Maybe these days running backs can play at a high level until 32, 33, even 34. Adrian Peterson, who is 30 now and left practice with a minor injury for the Vikings yesterday, just said that he plans to break Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing record. He'd have to play into his mid 30's to do so.

Some people have their doubts about Arian Foster being with the Houston Texans past his contract year next season. He'd have to come back strong in the final eight games in 2015 and then have a monster 2016 season. Playing in all 16 games hopefully.

But the point being is the money being paid to capture some old success for a pair of 28-year-old running backs. Looking at those numbers, without knowing which one was which, I'd gladly take one for the NFL's veteran minimum as oppose to $8.7 and $9.2 million a year, which is what the Texans are paying against their salary cap for Arian Foster this season and next season (2016), counting his base salary, signing bonus and roster bonus.

Bottom line: It doesn't matter how great Arian Foster still is or used to be. You can talk about his nice season last year all you want. The fact of the matter is he's not doing the Houston Texans any good missing half the season for a second time in three years. He's being paid among the best at that running back position as well. It would be like if J.J. Watt were missing a lot of games. We're paying him superstar money for his position as well.

Give me another running back then, who can produce Arian Foster like numbers, not just rushing but also receiving, and would only have to be paid the veteran minimum? You can't find anybody but Ray Rice I'd bet you.

Last edited:
Both of them are at the tail end of their careers to be honest, but Ray Rice hasn't played in an NFL game in an awfully long time (2013 season) and has a lot to prove. He can be signed to the veteran minimum and is just looking for a chance to play hard in 2015. Truth be told if Ray Rice never played again he should feel satisfied. He has a Super Bowl ring to fall back on.

Arian Foster is being paid superstar money for the position, always has various lingering injuries every season (at least in recent seasons), and is out for half the season for the second time in three years, and he's entering the final year of his big contract next year.

Maybe these days running backs can play at a high level until 32, 33, even 34. Adrian Peterson, who is 30 now and left practice with a minor injury for the Vikings yesterday, just said that he plans to break Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing record. He'd have to play into his mid 30's to do so.

Some people have their doubts about Arian Foster being with the Houston Texans past his contract year next season. He'd have to come back strong in the final eight games in 2015 and then have a monster 2016 season. Playing in all 16 games hopefully.

But the point being is the money being paid to capture some old success for a pair of 28-year-old running backs. Looking at those numbers, without knowing which one was which, I'd gladly take one for the NFL's veteran minimum as oppose to $8.7 and $9.2 million a year, which is what the Texans are paying against their salary cap for Arian Foster this season and next season (2016), counting his base salary, signing bonus and roster bonus.

Why are you even arguing that Rice would be better for the Texans than Foster? You know this scenario will never happen.

Why are you even arguing that Rice would be better for the Texans than Foster? You know this scenario will never happen.
I never claimed that. Are you kidding me? Arian Foster has been a top three back for a long time. I would barely consider Ray Rice in the top 10 despite having some similar numbers for his career as you pointed out. All I said is Ray Rice would be worth the risk for a veteran minimum signing. He's paid his dues for his mistake. His wife, then fiancee at the time when
he hit her in that elevator, has forgiven him. He made one mistake. Other players have done far worse and been given several chances. Although seeing it on video makes it nearly unforgivable in a lot of people's eyes. You can relive it anytime on YouTube or other social media outlets.

I never claimed that. Are you kidding me? Arian Foster has been a top three back for a long time. I would barely consider Ray Rice in the top 10 despite having some similar numbers for his career as you pointed out. All I said is Ray Rice would be worth the risk for a veteran minimum signing. He's paid his dues for his mistake. His wife, then fiancee at the time when
he hit her in that elevator, has forgiven him. He made one mistake. Other players have done far worse and been given several chances. Although seeing it on video makes it nearly unforgivable in a lot of people's eyes. You can relive it anytime on YouTube or other social media outlets.

I was simply going off of your last paragraph:

"But the point being is the money being paid to capture some old success for a pair of 28-year-old running backs. Looking at those numbers, without knowing which one was which, I'd gladly take one for the NFL's veteran minimum as oppose to $8.7 and $9.2 million a year, which is what the Texans are paying against their salary cap for Arian Foster this season and next season (2016), counting his base salary, signing bonus and roster bonus."

I was just bringing up the money to point out what a running back of that type of production is usually paid. Arian Foster is still being paid among the highest for his position. Ray Rice is no longer being paid like a top running back since the Ravens released him last year after that video surfaced, and he may no longer be given that he hasn't been that good since at least 2012.

But if you could gamble on a free agent option that wouldn't cost the team anything, for the most part (veteran minimum is nothing to the Texans - they have decent cap space now), I just feel we can do better than what we currently have on our roster. I don't have a lot of faith in the running backs we have now. They all seem to have fragile bodies also.

I just thought what better way to replace Arian Foster for the first eight games of 2015 with a running back who has shadowed his career statistics, and can be signed for the veteran minimum. If he sucks then so be it. He can be released. No big deal. No harm done with the salary cap.

Should we over pay for Pierre Thomas? Would that make people happy?

You'd have to ask Marshall. I don't pay for sex.
J/K Marshall....
I was just bringing up the money to point out what a running back of that type of production is usually paid. Arian Foster is still being paid among the highest for his position. Ray Rice is no longer being paid like a top running back since the Ravens released him last year after that video surfaced, and he may no longer be given that he hasn't been that good since at least 2012.

But if you could gamble on a free agent option that wouldn't cost the team anything, for the most part (veteran minimum is nothing to the Texans - they have decent cap space now), I just feel we can do better than what we currently have on our roster. I don't have a lot of faith in the running backs we have now. They all seem to have fragile bodies also.

I just thought what better way to replace Arian Foster for the first eight games of 2015 with a running back who has shadowed his career statistics, and can be signed for the veteran minimum. If he sucks then so be it. He can be released. No big deal. No harm done with the salary cap.

We have all the RBs we need and THEY have been here throughout training camp and know our system. Why bring in a veteran to sit on the bench?

We have all the RBs we need and THEY have been here throughout training camp and know our system. Why bring in a veteran to sit on the bench?
Because we're going to need them eventually I'm afraid. I can visualize Alfred Blue and Chris Polk, even Jonathan Grimes, all getting injured for an extended amount of time early in the regular season if not during the preseason. We'll be having to sign two or three street free agents in time. Blue and Polk have already been dealing with injuries this training camp and we're not even playing any games yet.

Just curious as to what are options are going to be like then? Unfortunately, none of our running backs can stay healthy. And now our depth is going to go down like flies. Just wait and see. I don't want any of you guys to be all stressed out when it happens when I clearly told you to be concerned about this.

Fair enough. I read your post as release Foster/sign Rice from a production and cost perspective. Not from a fill in the gap until he is back perspective.

I still contend though that after the comments McNair made about Rice back when the incident occurred, there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that he even gets thought about by the Texans as a replacement.

Because we're going to need them eventually I'm afraid. I can visualize Alfred Blue and Chris Polk, even Jonathan Grimes, all getting injured for an extended amount of time early in the regular season if not during the preseason. We'll be having to sign two or three street free agents in time. Blue and Polk have already been dealing with injuries this training camp and we're not even playing any games yet.

Just curious as to what are options are going to be like then? Unfortunately, none of our running backs can stay healthy. And now our depth is going to go down like flies. Just wait and see. I don't want any of you guys to be all stressed out when it happens when I clearly told you to be concerned about this.
Isn't Ben Tate still available? I mean, assuming all 4 remaining RBs go down. I noticed Hilliard and Prosch were left off your list of Blue, Polk and Grimes. Prosch I can understand since he's listed as FB, but he can switch in one RB formations.

I suppose this is true of me.
Proverbs 13:24
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them. I note both motive and care as key components. When we ere, we must repent and not attempt to justify improper action. This is true in both situations. But intolerance of forgiveness of the repentant is the rule of those who used to demand tolerance without repentance from others.

I really don't know how to respond without invoking my religious belief because it IS who I am. I do not compartmentalize these things.

And yet another misinterpretation of scripture to fit your misguided and preconceived agendas. Keep it out of the football forum. How many times do you have to be reminded?

And yet another misinterpretation of scripture to fit your misguided and preconceived agendas. Keep it out of the football forum. How many times do you have to be reminded?
Every time I RESPOND to a statement of belief with a statement of belief, it bothers the intolerant.

I remind you that the subject is why Ray Rice is not forgiven by the NFL while Adrian Peterson seems to be. The belief systems of the audience IS pertinent to the issue. I represent one belief system and share it's basis. I know that is hard for those who believe in relativism which suits their biases of the moment which make everything a matter of opinion.

The current plurality demand that these "PC sins" be unforgivable. I understand that. The NFL is going that direction as well for public relations and financial reasons. We all have our own "gods."

Last edited:
Every time I RESPOND to a statement of belief with a statement of belief, it bothers the intolerant.

I remind you that the subject is why Ray Rice is not forgiven by the NFL while AP seems to be.

I'm not intolerant, YOU'RE JUST POSTING IT IN THE WRONG FORUM. You are just being obtuse.

I'm going to wait a preseason game or two, but Hilliard is quickly climbing my rankings of our RB corps. He seems to be a punishing type of RB from what I've seen and read. IMO, Blue is going to have to do work to stay on the roster. Although, he might have a spot anyway given Fosters injury

I'm going to wait a preseason game or two, but Hilliard is quickly climbing my rankings of our RB corps. He seems to be a punishing type of RB from what I've seen and read. IMO, Blue is going to have to do work to stay on the roster. Although, he might have a spot anyway given Fosters injury
Looks like a 7th round selection so far.
Versus Denver
Recap »Box Score »

STATS ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
This Game 7 3 0.4 2 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0
*Splits are updated nightly.

I agree. I've moved him off my 53 and replaced him with Grimes. I think he'll clear waiver, so he's a candidate for the PS.
well Grimes is 10 for 27 for two games; not sure that is exciting although he is 3/22 yards receiving

well Grimes is 10 for 27 for two games; not sure that is exciting although he is 3/22 yards receiving
I didn't realize that Grimes' ypc was so low.

Hilliard will have to earn a spot on the 53 by being effective running the ball between the tackles. He didn't impress me last Saturday. Otherwise, the third RB slot will likely be between Hilliard and Grimes and which of the two is more effective picking up the blitz and as a receiver. As a veteran, Grimes should have an edge here.

When has trying to figure out the earliest a player can be back in real game mode ever produced anything other than frustration that it is taking longer than anticipated? 2016. Like with Clowney, if he plays any time this season I will consider it a bonus.

When has trying to figure out the earliest a player can be back in real game mode ever produced anything other than frustration that it is taking longer than anticipated? 2016. Like with Clowney, if he plays any time this season I will consider it a bonus.

And no matter when he comes back, if he gets injured again, it will be the Texans' fault for bringing him back 'too soon.'

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Arian Foster Update: Arian has been in Houston working out & expectations are for him to return to the field in some facet by week 2-4.​
Week 2? Why not Week 1 against the Chiefs? Sarcastically excited! Is the plan to give him 10 touches a game or something like that? I thought Game 9 was going to be the target now everybody is optimistic he'll return in September.

I don't think we need Arian Foster to beat the Chiefs, Panthers, Buccaneers and Falcons. We can go 4-0 if our defense dominates. We'll probably drop one or two of those games because it's not going to be that easy. I've love to have Arian Foster back Week 5 against the Colts though. That now seems doable given this latest timetable.

The key phrase here is "in some facet"...meaning he could be returning to the field next to the team working out seperately by then.
You're probably right. Although I'd like to think that means playing in the real games. I still think a 5-3 record halfway through the season is possible even without Arian Foster. That could set us up for a nice little wild-card run in the second half with him being back healthy. If we can start off 4-0, which isn't out of the question, then we should be thinking better than 5-3 at that point. A 1-3 stretch would suck.

You're probably right. Although I'd like to think that means playing in the real games. I still think a 5-3 record halfway through the season is possible even without Arian Foster. That could set us up for a nice little wild-card run in the second half with him being back healthy. If we can start off 4-0, which isn't out of the question, then we should be thinking better than 5-3 at that point. A 1-3 stretch would suck.

Just remember Hoyer is the starting QB, I think 2-2/3-1 would be a very good start without Foster.

We could easily be 3-1, 4-0 starting the season. KC would be the toughest of the 4 teams we'd have to face but they're gonna have 2-3 of their best players out for that game with Poe & Smith & Fisher will probably be gimpy. Alex Smith scares no one on defense. If we can contain Charles, i think well be fine against them.

TB is starting a rookie qb, Cam has no one to throw to with Benjamin done for the year & outside of Julio Jones, noone on the falcons scares me on offense. It remains to be seen what their defense will look like.

We could easily be 3-1, 4-0 starting the season. KC would be the toughest of the 4 teams we'd have to face but they're gonna have 2-3 of their best players out for that game with Poe & Smith & Fisher will probably be gimpy. Alex Smith scares no one on defense. If we can contain Charles, i think well be fine against them.

TB is starting a rookie qb, Cam has no one to throw to with Benjamin done for the year & outside of Julio Jones, noone on the falcons scares me on offense. It remains to be seen what their defense will look like.
Only the Buccs have a lower odds of winning the Super Bowl than us.

The Panthers have the same odds, and we will be playing at their home.

2-2 is seriously optimistic already, methink.

If this defense comes together & plays like i think they will, teams will need a very powerful offense or a stud qb to score on us & none of the teams we face in the 1st month of the season have that.

....waits for Doc to weigh in on this "news"
:foottap:

Old news just repeated with no supporting information. With no new info to base any predictions of return to play, the media are throwing out guesses, nothing more.

With the limited info I have to work with, my evaluation has not changed from:

Let's take a close look at Clowney and his reported routine sports hernia surgery.:

6/13/14
sports hernia surgery

7/27/14 very limited participation in 1st day of TC

8/2/14 left limited practice with ice on upper thigh/groin/hip area ( likely postoperative groin aggravation; local media speculated "hip pointer" which would most likely have been secodary to continued early postoperatively affected core mechanics)

8/9/14 1st preseason game, handful of snaps could not turn and struggled turning in coverage or when having to change direction/cut on rush.

8/16/14 2nd preseason game, 9 snaps, looked decent straight line, could not change direction/cut or move against OL resistance

9/21/14 leaves a limited participation practice after a few minutes with concussion

8/23/14 3rd preseason game, did not play (coincidentally affording additional postoperative rehab time)

8/25/14 4th preseason game, did not play (coincidentally affording additional postoperative rehab time)

9/4/14 1st regular season game, left in 2nd quarter with knee injury after limited snaps still showing the same post-surgical limitations (outside of in unobstructed rushes) when he encountered resistance from an OL or when trying to bend the edge as noted in preseason; his only stat was 1 assisted tackle (did his altered mechanics contribute to his knee injury?)

OLB does not continually place as much a stress on a sports hernia repair as does a running back for reasons that should be obvious.

In the case that Arian's reports are significantly "tainted" and IF this ends up being a "routine" sport hernia, he could see the field in 1 week (tongue in cheek)..........because anyone can be thrown out there after any injury at any time. Would this be considered an intelligent approach to his rehab? Then 3-6 weeks for a running back? With a long history of core problems (back surgery) and significant recurrent soft tissue injuries? Eight weeks may be more prudent to ease ANY player into a full blown environment following this type of surgery. But a hard driving running back.........especially one with Foster's history?........it's unlikely to see what you would want to see from him at that time or for some time after. Push too hard if mechanics are still too compromised, and you relegate him back to spectator status.

I mostly agree with what you're saying but every time I read a line like this I think back to Mark Sanchez beating us in our opener in his rookie season.

Back