Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Arian Foster reported to have serious groin injury

Arian Foster returns to practice, not expected to play this week
By Aaron Wilson on September 17, 2015 12:32 PM

In just six NFL seasons, Texans running back Arian Foster has gone from an undrafted free agent to one of the NFL's most high-profile players.

Texans Pro Bowl running back Arian Foster returned to practice Thursday, taking part in drills as he continues to make speedy progress after undergoing groin surgery in August.

Foster isn’t expected to play this week, according to sources not authorized to speak publicly, as the star running back continues to rehabilitate from his injury.

Texans coach Bill O’Brien has previously said Foster won’t play this week against the Carolina Panthers

Foster has been running for weeks and has reached the point where he’s gaining more and more confidence in his health. Whether the Texans will have him play the following week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers remains unclear with the more conservative estimates having him eyeing the team’s fourth game of the season against the Indianapolis Colts.

“We’ve made a lot of progress in the rehab of my injury, and we’re excited about that,” Foster said last week. “I’m not happy because I would rather be out there with my teammates, but life happens and you got to roll with it. As far as being where I’m at, at this point, we’re ahead of schedule and the doctors are pleased with it and so are the trainers. ..

“I think this is going to be my best year. I still feel like it will be. It’s going to be tough because I have some ground to make up. I was feeling the best, feeling the quickest that I’ve felt.”

Entering the fourth year of a five-year, $43.5 million contract, the four-time Pro Bowl selection has reached a pivotal time in his career. Even if Foster is completely recovered earlier than expected, the Texans may build an additional week into his rehab schedule to avoid any potential setbacks.

“I need to feel like I’m 100 percent, as close to 100 percent as I can,” Foster said. “When you’re dealing with something like muscle injuries, they tend to reoccur if you’re not careful, so it’s not something you can push through.

“I’ve played entire seasons with a torn meniscus. I’ve played entire seasons with a broken collarbone. There are things that you can push through. Muscle injuries, there’s nothing you can do because it literally hinders the movement. As soon as I feel like the movement isn’t hindered and I’m not going to re-injure it, I’ll be out there.”

I know it's an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I want Foster to stay with the Texans until his career is over.

I know he's injury prone; still, when he's in there he's one of the best backs in the league. You just don't replace that, as you can see with our current backups.

The odds are in our favor that one day soon we'll find a young stud RB on the cheap, but until then, let's keep Foster.

I know it's an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I want Foster to stay with the Texans until his career is over.

I know he's injury prone; still, when he's in there he's one of the best backs in the league. You just don't replace that, as you can see with our current backups.

The odds are in our favor that one day soon we'll find a young stud RB on the cheap, but until then, let's keep Foster.

I don't think fans want him gone, we just want a price tag that lines up with what his abilities currently are and what they will be. Too many times we've overpaid. I think the AJ situation was a good indicator that maybe the FO is looking bigger picture. Let's say Arian wants another fat contract after next year? As much as I'd love to see him retire a Texan, I'd wish him all the luck looking for that last contract in Indy.

I don't think fans want him gone, we just want a price tag that lines up with what his abilities currently are and what they will be. Too many times we've overpaid. I think the AJ situation was a good indicator that maybe the FO is looking bigger picture. Let's say Arian wants another fat contract after next year? As much as I'd love to see him retire a Texan, I'd wish him all the luck looking for that last contract in Indy.

Yeah, no, I feel you on that part. He shouldn't get a king's ransom of a second contract by anybody, unless in these next couple of years we see 2k rushing season, or something improbable like that.

Since it probably won't happen I would expect Arian to have enough sense not to command that...that is, unless he really wants out of Houston.

Let's hope they at least ask him if he'd take a pay-cut first. & I mean directly, man to man... no hints, or games.

Well, you have something there because out of those backs McCoy has only 2 seasons where he played all 16 games. Demarco Murray with 1. Arian Foster with 1. Jamaal Charles with none.

But since they're not Texans, "everyone" around here thinks they're studs worth $20M/yr

Yeah, no, I feel you on that part. He shouldn't get a king's ransom of a second contract by anybody, unless in these next couple of years we see 2k rushing season, or something improbable like that.

Since it probably won't happen I would expect Arian to have enough sense not to command that...that is, unless he really wants out of Houston.
I have often wondered how the NFL would handle a "Right of First Refusal" agreement common in other types of business. You simply provide consideration in situations where a player states he wants to finish his career somewhere, but wants to keep the financial window open to maximize his value. This gives the team a right to match any competing offer, but the right not to match prevents another team from presenting an unreasonable offer.

But since it isn't done, I suspect the NFL has a problem with it.

Last edited:
I have often wondered how the NFL would handle a "Right of First Refusal" agreement common in other types on business. You simply provide consideration in situations where a player states he wants to finish his career somewhere, but wants to keep the financial window open to maximize his value. This gives the team a right to match any competing offer, but the right not to match prevents another team from presenting an unreasonable offer.

But since it isn't done, I suspect the NFL has a problem with it.

That's a good idea. I've often thought that some sort of vested veteran plan where you could designate 1 player as a "career exemption" of some sort where if you're both agreeable you could pay him whatever you agreed upon without it counting against the cap. You could say it could only be applied to a player who had 10+ seasons with your team and maybe only to players who had never played for anyone else. I don't exactly know how it would shake out but it would be nice if it allowed teams to go ahead and pay what it took to keep long term veterans they wanted to see retire on their team if the player wanted to do that too, or not. I think your idea is actually better though. Maybe limit it to only players who have met a certain criteria (played "X" number of years for the team for instance).

That's a good idea. I've often thought that some sort of vested veteran plan where you could designate 1 player as a "career exemption" of some sort where if you're both agreeable you could pay him whatever you agreed upon without it counting against the cap. You could say it could only be applied to a player who had 10+ seasons with your team and maybe only to players who had never played for anyone else. I don't exactly know how it would shake out but it would be nice if it allowed teams to go ahead and pay what it took to keep long term veterans they wanted to see retire on their team if the player wanted to do that too, or not. I think your idea is actually better though. Maybe limit it to only players who have met a certain criteria (played "X" number of years for the team for instance).
I could foresee a situation where such agreements are usually made the day before the new season commences where the agreement consideration uses up available cap space before it is lost (assuming it can't roll over). It (RFR Consideration) still counts against the Cap but is nominal in the context of NFL Contracts.

We're not going to get to many more good years of Foster, maybe a couple at the most with him missing games. We need a RB just as much as we need a QB and a line.

Pessimism is the glue that holds us together you know.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
Arian Foster returned to practice today, not expected to play this week​

So, Arian returned to practice 12 days ago.

I'm hoping they're approaching this the way they approached Clowney's return from injury. Starting off with some drills, then seeing how his body responds, then gradually stepping it up until he works his way up to taking snaps in practice. & even then, a few snaps here & there, gradually stepping up to full practice.

OB has been positive about Arian's return, so I'm hoping that means they haven't experienced any set backs.

However, I can't see him coming off his injury & working his way up to full practice in the time between Sept 17th & now. I can imagine them dressing him up & taking a few snaps on Sunday, but not at the expense of an active roster spot.

I'd be surprised to see him play against Atlanta.

I'm hoping they're approaching this the way they approached Clowney's return from injury. Starting off with some drills, then seeing how his body responds, then gradually stepping it up until he works his way up to taking snaps in practice. & even then, a few snaps here & there, gradually stepping up to full practice.

OB has been positive about Arian's return, so I'm hoping that means they haven't experienced any set backs.

However, I can't see him coming off his injury & working his way up to full practice in the time between Sept 17th & now. I can imagine them dressing him up & taking a few snaps on Sunday, but not at the expense of an active roster spot.

particularly true with Blue appearing to get into a groove last week.

particularly true with Blue appearing to get into a groove last week.

It would be extremely unwise, after this type of surgery, to have him play in the Falcons game for the first time, then without adequate rest between, try to play 4 days later in a very much more important game............with the Colts......and suffer a setback.

It would be extremely unwise, after this type of surgery, to have him play in the Falcons game for the first time, then without adequate rest between, try to play 4 days later in a very much more important game............with the Colts......and suffer a setback.

OB was asked about this yesterday or today, and gave a very vague answer in coachspeak, something to the extent "That's a good question, but we don't look that far ahead, we're only worried about winning our next game." That said, I don't think he'll play this week.

I'm predicting he will play. Limited snaps, but he will play. Gott knock a little rust off before the big game with the Colts IMO.

Last edited:
OB was asked about this yesterday or today, and gave a very vague answer in coachspeak, something to the extent "That's a good question, but we don't look that far ahead, we're only worried about winning our next game." That said, I don't think he'll play this week.

Oh so he answered it like he does every other question he has ever been asked since he got hired.

I'm predicting he will play. Limited snaps, but he will play. Gott knock a little rust off before the big game with the Colts IMO.
Even with limited snaps, and avoiding injury, he is going to be feeling the effects in the days following. Without a full week to recover (which is even more important when coming back from an injury/surgery), four days later for the Colts game, his performance is likely to be compromised and his risk of fatigue and re-injury increased. Foster has yet to participate in a "Full" practice, contact or non-contact. And be assured that the effects on a player's body is much greater during game play vs. even so-called "contact" practice.

Even with limited snaps, and avoiding injury, he is going to be feeling the effects in the days following. Without a full week to recover (which is even more important when coming back from an injury/surgery), four days later for the Colts game, his performance is likely to be compromised and his risk of fatigue and re-injury increased. Foster has yet to participate in a "Full" practice, contact or non-contact. And be assured that the effects on a player's body is much greater during game play vs. even so-called "contact" practice.

So sayeth the Cloak, so sayeth be done. Hopefully.

Battleredblog.com has an article that has a tweet from Ed Werder that says foster will be a game time decision.

I say wait until Colts' game. It just makes more sense even without facts backing it up.

I hear ya bro, but we can't afford to go 1-3. We need every game from here on out, and Foster has been practicing for a couple of weeks now, albeit in a limited fashion. If the doctors clear him, and he says he is ready to go. Expect to see him out there as we need this win against what looks to be a good team.

We're not going to get to many more good years of Foster, maybe a couple at the most with him missing games. We need a RB just as much as we need a QB and a line.

Pessimism is the glue that holds us together you know.

You know if you think about it what we need on the O-Line is some depth and a starter or two. That may seem like a lot but your offensive line is something that should be getting added to just about every year so in that respect we're not that far off of normal. Brown, Jones, Brooks, and Newton I'm perfectly content to keep rolling with. We look to have found a player in Aboushi but time will tell. We really needed Filo to work out but he isn't and that's a shame but it's not like we're deep in the hole and need 3-4 guys who can start right now. You could fix our line problems with one draft pick working out and 1-2 FA signings (and not high-dollar FA's but just good value pickups.

The OL looks so bad because it's in transition with Jones and we're hurt. It will get better even if we just leave it alone.

I hear ya bro, but we can't afford to go 1-3. We need every game from here on out, and Foster has been practicing for a couple of weeks now, albeit in a limited fashion. If the doctors clear him, and he says he is ready to go. Expect to see him out there as we need this win against what looks to be a good team.

First, I agree. If Foster is ready to play, he should play. But it would be extremely stupid if we see him get 30 carries. If I were going to have him in the game, it would be in preparation for the Colts game, 4 days later. I might have him in on 12 snaps total, give him 3 or 4 carries, block a couple of times, go out for a pass the remainder... then shut him down.

Second, there's no guarantee we'll beat the Falcons if Arian got 20 or 30 carries.

Third, if Arian is that important to the success of this team, I'd rather have him for the 12 games (the later the better) after this game (again, no guarantee how long he'll be healthy this time, but again that makes me lean towards being more conservative).

I'd also like to see more consistency on the offensive line before Arian returns to a full work load.

Last edited:
Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
Foster is confident "the attachment" (his groin muscle to the pelvic) is going to hold.

Foster says the doctor "that cut me open" told him "best rehab is getting out there and playing."

Foster was asked if he was "excited, edgy and juiced" to possibly play Sunday. He replied, "I'm excited, edgy and juiced."

Arian wants to play and it looks like there's good chance he will.​

PDS @PatDStat
Game four has always been the target date for Arian Foster. We have maintained that since the start of his rehab.

The short week has been the focus ,the reason people are worried. I don’t think that plays into the decision making for Sunday or the season

Most forget he has been running for over a month. Not like they are just rolling him out there with no work.

I don’t feel the short week applies to Foster’s situation, much less into the decision making on saving him.

I would be surprised if Arian Foster does not play on Sunday in some capacity.​

If we sit Foster and lose to Atl, a win the following week against Indy would put us a half game ahead of them even if they win this week. Indy is more important, and it's at home.
I say sit him this week. Unless they are very, very sure he's ready with minimal chance of a setback.
Honestly, I'd probably still sit him. The rest of the season is too important.

Put him on a playcount. 15-25 plays but indy is the big picture here. Short week, injury, no preseason. Keep him on a leash. I'll take a regular season loss to atl any day over indy.

Put him on a playcount. 15-25 plays but indy is the big picture here. Short week, injury, no preseason. Keep him on a leash. I'll take a regular season loss to atl any day over indy.
I'm hoping he's just a diversion and we pound Blue through a suddenly emergent power running game after Atlanta splits their focus on the zone blocking schemes and stopping Foster.

Start off with blue and mix in foster sparingly at first. If blue is running like he did last game you don't foster out there. If blues ineffective see if foster can make a difference. Just don't over use foster this soon back.

255761543_do_you_feel_lucky_punk_xlarge.png

I'm hoping he's just a diversion and we pound Blue through a suddenly emergent power running game after Atlanta splits their focus on the zone blocking schemes and stopping Foster.

Atlanta is very familiar with zone blocking. Even before little Shanny got there.

Didn't we have their old OL coach last season? Mike Dunn?? Paul??

Yes but he was temporary there just like here. Gibbs set them up ZBS before he came to us. Back when Warrick Dunn looked good. That was Gibbs.

[Rant]Every team uses zone blocking at times. Only a few embrace it. Half assed doesn't work. We ran zone for years with DD before Kubiak got here (man DD would have been good in a full ZBS). We only got good when we went full boat. What we are running now his half-assed blocking (no backside cut) and half-assed running (RBs who don't know there is a cutback). OB/Godsey do nothing to disguise pass vs. run which is fundamental to both. Remember when cameramen would get fooled? - yeah, that ain't happening. [/rant]

Last edited:
Yes but he was temporary there just like here. Gibbs set them up ZBS before he came to us. Back when Warrick Dunn looked good. That was Gibbs.

[Rant]Every team uses zone blocking at times. Only a few embrace it. Half assed doesn't work. We ran zone for years with DD before Kubiak got here (man DD would have been good in a full ZBS). We only got good when we went full boat. What we are running now his half-assed blocking (no backside cut) and half-assed running (RBs who don't know there is a cutback). OB/Godsey do nothing to disguise pass vs. run which is fundamental to both. Remember when cameramen would get fooled? - yeah, that ain't happening. [/rant]

I think the rules changes have something to do with the ZBS being out of favor and the team half ass using it .... Those chop blocks are illegal now (if the defender is engaged with another lineman). It's just not as effective without the ability to employ those blocks that destroy the edge of a defense.

As for the ability to fool a defense ..... and the camera man , Much of that was Schaub , he probably had the best play fake I've ever seen , he would really sell it , throw in the fact that every play appeared the same pre snap .... and the defense never knew what was coming.
Now .... they know what's coming. I dunno how many WR screens they've had blown up as soon as the WR has the ball ....

I might be in the minority but I miss Kubiak's offense.

[
I think the rules changes have something to do with the ZBS being out of favor and the team half ass using it .... Those chop blocks are illegal now (if the defender is engaged with another lineman). It's just not as effective without the ability to employ those blocks that destroy the edge of a defense.

The rules haven't changed inside the tackle box. Like Capers we just aren't doing it.

The key is the backside DE/OLB who is by design unengaged.

I really don't get that mindset - let's run ZBS without a key element.

As for the ability to fool a defense ..... and the camera man , Much of that was Schaub , he probably had the best play fake I've ever seen , he would really sell it , throw in the fact that every play appeared the same pre snap .... and the defense never knew what was coming.
Now .... they know what's coming. I dunno how many WR screens they've had blown up as soon as the WR has the ball ....

I might be in the minority but I miss Kubiak's offense.

Agreed.

Last edited:

The chop block was never integral to the ZBS. The cut block was, which is totally different & just as legal now as it was then.

My knowledge of foster's progress and risk are limited at best. They talked him up on the radio a lot yesterday and ofcourse i heard sound bites from foster himself.

If you think it's not wise i'd be inclined to agree with you considering your track record over the years. If you feel so strongly you'd point your gun at me....then well no....i dont feel lucky.

tumblr_ncqo1zaou91tkdjodo1_500.gif

Arian Foster is active for today's game! Wooohoooo! Doesn't mean he is playing, but it's a good sign.

Back