Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

There is a huge difference between hate and disgust. Unless the season was actually over (playoffs wise), which it isn't, I can't imagine anyone here actually wishing for a loss this early.

I've read several posts hoping for a Texan loss if Schaub is still starting.

I've read several posts hoping for a Texan loss if Schaub is still starting.

In that another loss and pick 6 would help in sitting Schaub down, I totally agree. It's just I'm not quite to that point yet. Although I really want Schaub gone. So I can see someone's point if they feel that way, but I'm still going to hope they win.

I'll call my shot. None will get a pick 6. None will even get a pick. The consecutive games with an int streak will break in this one. He'll toss for about 225 yards and a touchdown working behind the run game. Rams are worse against the run than the pass and we'll need playaction to slow down that stout pass rush they have. Kubes will go from the 'cut loose' to the 'tighten up' to help protect him and move us forward.

Maybe its a trick question: What if there is more than ONE pick 6 this week?

Kramer.gif

One good game does not erase what I believe to be happening to Schaub.

Yeah but I honestly believe in Garys mind it mean everything is a-ok!

my concern is matt does enough to keep his job but doesnt do nearly enough to win in the playoffs (heck even get to the playoffs) and gets to stay on another year and its the same old song and dance for one more year.

Id rather take a chance and sacrifice this season and find out what we have in yates and keenum so we can make a strategic plan on drafting a qb with this upcoming class.

keeping schaub as starter just holds everything back.

-we dont get to find out what we have in yates and keenum
-we win enough to lose draft position to draft a possible game changer at qb in a potentially very good qb class
-we win but dont challenge seriously for the superbow
-we lose two more years trying to figure out what we have in yates and keenum

Find out now.

my concern is matt does enough to keep his job but doesnt do nearly enough to win in the playoffs (heck even get to the playoffs) and gets to stay on another year and its the same old song and dance for one more year.

Id rather take a chance and sacrifice this season and find out what we have in yates and keenum so we can make a strategic plan on drafting a qb with this upcoming class.

-we win enough to lose draft position to draft a possible game changer at qb in a potentially very good qb class

Find out now.

I love the thought of tucking tail 5 games in and tanking the season. What drive

I love the thought of tucking tail 5 games in and tanking the season. What drive

Our defense would have none of that. If the offense did that, they'd beat the crap out of our offense and run it themselves. LOL

how can it be tucking tail when your qb replacement could be possibly better than your quarterback who is setting infamous qb records?

benching schaub could get everything we want. we could get improve qb play from what we are getting and we get to find out about yates or/and keenum.

TJ Yates in his rookie year with no preparation led this team as far as our 7 year starter has.

Just think about that.

Now yates has had a full couple years under his belt and if he has any potential now would be a perfect time to find out. Schaub's play has warranted at least a look. Yates should do better now right?

If not, then he is what a lot of people thought he was, nothing more than another back up.

Ill tell you right now, did not like Yates answers to questions about schaub and his potential at starting.

Instead of exuding confidence in himself, he talked like a scared back up. He doesnt have the psyche of a starter.

I would have much rather hear him say "its the coaches decision but i believe in my ability, and if the coach called my number, im ready and i believe i can get a job done."

I would have much rather hear him say that than deferring to schaub and sounding like a back up.

I hope case doesnt answer that question like that.

how can it be tucking tail when your qb replacement could be possibly better than your quarterback who is setting infamous qb records?

benching schaub could get everything we want. we could get improve qb play from what we are getting and we get to find out about yates or/and keenum.

TJ Yates in his rookie year with no preparation led this team as far as our 7 year starter has.

Just think about that.

It is folding, tucking tail. You are holding on to a powerball odds to hope you can retire thinking Case or Yates can come through.

As to your playoff stat line again its beyond a joke as Yates owes part of his playoff win to what Matt was able to do prior to going down. Think about that for a second

Now yates has had a full couple years under his belt and if he has any potential now would be a perfect time to find out. Schaub's play has warranted at least a look. Yates should do better now right?

If not, then he is what a lot of people thought he was, nothing more than another back up.

Ill tell you right now, did not like Yates answers to questions about schaub and his potential at starting.

Instead of exuding confidence in himself, he talked like a scared back up. He doesnt have the psyche of a starter.

I would have much rather hear him say "its the coaches decision but i believe in my ability, and if the coach called my number, im ready and i believe i can get a job done."

I would have much rather hear him say that than deferring to schaub and sounding like a back up.

I hope case doesnt answer that question like that.

I know you are waiting with the jergens for Case to get in there

you know you are gonna read it.

you know you are.

1) People who hate dissenting opinions and put people on ignore are the first ones to read the ignored post.

2) You read it then you go back to pretending to marginalize the person but you couldnt wait to read what he wrote.

Typical human being behavior. 3) People hate rush limbaugh but cant wait to see or read what he said.

1) Wrong as you can be.

2) Wrong as you can be, again.

3) You could not be more wrong here if you got out of bed extra early to be wrong.

Kirk Cousins from Washington...

He is young, mobile(more than the Texans have now) and pretty much knows this system due to the fact he is under Shannahan squared. Has a decent arm and height. Still under a rookie contract for another couple of years...

Could probably trade for him now or by the deadline and he could start immediately and could be a very good choice for the rest of the year and on....

What would you give to get him from Washington and if you are the Texans are you on the phone asking about him?

It is folding, tucking tail. You are holding on to a powerball odds to hope you can retire thinking Case or Yates can come through.

As to your playoff stat line again its beyond a joke as Yates owes part of his playoff win to what Matt was able to do prior to going down. Think about that for a second

how is it powerball odds? Yates in his rookie year staring down receivers, took over a 7-3 team and was able to get a playoff win vs the bengals. now imagine a yates who has had a full camp and years of experience. stand to reason it would be improved play. Certainly he stands a chance of doing better than throwing 4 pick 6s in a row.

Those are not powerball odds. As for case, we wont know unless we try.

People win the lottery all the time.

I know you are waiting with the jergens for Case to get in there

Interesting. Is that what you use when you try to sleep at night these last 4 weeks in your matt schaub jersey?

you would be better off not moving yates and using those magical picks to pick up one of those guys if they are still there

Neither one of those guys I mentioned are the type QB Kubiak likes, Cousins is...

Manziel and Boyd would fit better in Washington than the Texans just by the system alone. Do you really see Kubaik using Boyd or Manziel to their fullest potential, ie their running ability?

how is it powerball odds? Yates in his rookie year staring down receivers, took over a 7-3 team and was able to get a playoff win vs the bengals. now imagine a yates who has had a full camp and years of experience. stand to reason it would be improved play. Certainly he stands a chance of doing better than throwing 4 pick 6s in a row.

Those are not powerball odds. As for case, we wont know unless we try.

People win the lottery all the time.

More people lose playing the lottery so saying people win on the time is pointless. It is lottery odds that Case could take this place by storm or develope into a SuperBowl Qb, same with Yates. Lets be clear on Yates as you seem to try and compare he and schaub's one playoff win means they are equal.

Yates took over an 7-3 when we were in game 11 and Matt II had given TJ a lead that would win the game. TJ was 2-3 as a starter in the regular season 3-4 total.

Interesting. Is that what you use when you try to sleep at night these last 4 weeks in your matt schaub jersey?

I dont own any jerseys as I see them as a waste of money

Unless you have a lot of confidence in Kubiak's ability to design a gameplan to help these guys be successful.

I go back & forth all the time on this. I've never been a Schaub fan, but I've never been a hater either. He's outplayed a lot of more talented QBs & have put together a very nice NFL QB career.

But he's a back-up. He was a back-up when we got him & he's a back-up now. It's arguable that Sage would have had similar numbers had he been able to develop in this system, possibly more wins as Sage is a gamer, possibly more losses as he's a gambler as well.

If Kubiak were to decide that he can win with Tj/Keenum I'm down. But I'd feel much better about it if he made that decision at 2-3 rather than 6-8.

So in my mind, this has got to work. He's got to minimize Schaub's influence on the next couple of games, while collecting wins, while nursing Schaub's confidence back to "mediocre."

I remember what it was like when we played conservative all year long, then tried to open it up in December. Wasn't very good, kinda like what we're seeing now. If he can find a way to win despite the INTs & Pick6es, I'd be willing to see us continue to be aggressive (with the defense & run game stepping up) then trying to scale it back in the play-offs.

Like I said, I'm back & forth on this. I don't know what the right decision is & I'm glad it's not mine to make.

Washington is not giving up Kirk Cousins. He has been good in their offense and was drafted by the current staff. They also don't have a problem at running back, so Tate is a no go. Just a fantasy land trade.

and why would they trade for yates and give anything up for tate when tate is free to go at the end of the year? Yates would have to be on par with Kirk

Yeah and I dont think Alfred Morris is injured, so I seriously doubt WASH would even consider that trade. I could see them parting with Cousins, but it would have to include a high draft pick and a good player that would still be under contract beyond this season. I like Cousins and I want Cousins but I don't see it happening. It is almost as unlikely as The Texans dropping Schaub very soon.

Then it would not make sense for Washington to part with him.

It does if they could pick up multiple picks this year and still have a chance to draft a QB that can slide right in if RG3 goes down, and still run the offense.

When Cousins comes in, it is looks like a different offense, I don't see the plays RG3 runs when Cousins is in.

Yates...Certainly he stands a chance of doing better than throwing 4 pick 6s in a row.

IMO, it depends. First you have to correctly identify the reason for the pick 6es.
  1. Tennesse
    Looked like Schaub & Hopkins weren't on the same page
  2. Baltimore
    He was trying to lead OD... normally he'd put it on Owen's back hip. A much safer throw.
  3. Seattle
    Ill advised. He should have checked out of the play (maybe he was trying to make a play). He threw it up for grabs.... should've been inexcusable, but that's obviously not the case.
  4. San Francisco
    Telegraphing throws all day long.

Then you've got to ask wheter Tj would commit those same errors. He did throw 3 INTs in the divisional round, could/should have been 6. The fact that none of them were returned for TDs says more about the Ravens defense, than Schaub/Tj

I don't really know where I stand on this, Tj/Schaub/Yates, they've all got their pros & cons. If we win, I really don't care which way he goes, but he better be right. If he goes with Schaub (which he did) he better not come back in week 8 & say we're going a different direction. If he were to pick Tj/Case, he better be committed to it & make it work.

We can trade TJ Yates and Ben Tate.

That makes sense.

I think Cousin is & was their back up plan for Griffin, but Yates/Tate might help them win their division. I can see them doing it for that.

But that's all I would offer. I would not throw in a draft pick or a swap.

They may take Yates, Posey, & Jean.

It does if they could pick up multiple picks this year and still have a chance to draft a QB that can slide right in if RG3 goes down, and still run the offense.

When Cousins comes in, it is looks like a different offense, I don't see the plays RG3 runs when Cousins is in.

you wouldnt see the rg3 runs with yates either :swatter:

So they trade for a RB that they don't need, that won't help them win more games this year, that is on a one year contract, and the hope that they can maybe draft a QB that can do what Kirk Cousins already does? Productive quarterbacks > draft picks.

Cousins would be great, but they're not giving him up. Especially given the status of Griffin's health.

I bet it would take a first round pick for them to even consider trading him... Its going to be a Rodgers type situation for him, will be forced to sit behind the starting QB for 3 to 4 years until his contract expires or they decide to part ways with RG III (highly doutful)

Yates in his rookie year staring down receivers, took over a 7-3 team

Yates took over an 7-3 when we were in game 11 and Matt II had given TJ a lead that would win the game. TJ was 2-3 as a starter in the regular season 3-4 total.

Yup to 2012. Yates effectively took over an 8-3 team. 17 pts were already on the board and the Jags scored 13 pts on the day. If the Texans won any of the remaining 5 games they were in the playoffs. Yates gets way, way too much credit for "getting the Texans to the playoffs."

So in my mind, this has got to work. He's got to minimize Schaub's influence on the next couple of games, while collecting wins, while nursing Schaub's confidence back to "mediocre."
I'm right there with you. I told someone if we can get good solid runs up the middle early, nothing would boost Schaub's confidence more than a bootleg off of play-action for a deep bomb. Forget the short completions, it'll take a big one to start putting hairs back on his chest.

IMO, it depends. First you have to correctly identify the reason for the pick 6es.
  1. Tennesse
    Looked like Schaub & Hopkins weren't on the same page
  2. Baltimore
    He was trying to lead OD... normally he'd put it on Owen's back hip. A much safer throw.
  3. Seattle
    Ill advised. He should have checked out of the play (maybe he was trying to make a play). He threw it up for grabs.... should've been inexcusable, but that's obviously not the case.
  4. San Francisco
    Telegraphing throws all day long.

Then you've got to ask wheter Tj would commit those same errors. He did throw 3 INTs in the divisional round, could/should have been 6. The fact that none of them were returned for TDs says more about the Ravens defense, than Schaub/Tj

I don't really know where I stand on this, Tj/Schaub/Yates, they've all got their pros & cons. If we win, I really don't care which way he goes, but he better be right. If he goes with Schaub (which he did) he better not come back in week 8 & say we're going a different direction. If he were to pick Tj/Case, he better be committed to it & make it work.

TK, I wish I had your outlook. It's healthier than mine. I wish I did care... but I don't.

I am likely UBER wrong, but while that may be, the fact that his 4th was the FIRST throw of the day. On the heels of the prior games, THAT's where he lost me. You simply can't come out on the field with the intent of not throwing a pick, yet on the very first pass play you do what he did... He lost me. At that point, I no longer care about the ones prior, the ones to come... any of them. Get off the field and earn your way back on. At that point, whatever you want to hang your 7 years as a starter on in Houston simply doesn't amount to enough to warrant being entitled to keep on slinging poo. Compound that with the a half-wit side line general who can't comprehend the notion of getting him off the field until he after he throws 2 more speaks volumes as well.

Dissect it all we want, if #8 comes out against the Rams on Sunday and lobs another pick with the very first play, I'll be no further at loss than I already am. If he come out on Sunday and plays like Peyton(unlikely) with a 500 yd game 8tds and a passer rating of 1zillion, I'll eat his jockstrap. He's never been that kind of quarterback, so it's an easy statement to make. What isn't easy, is understanding why the organization feels as if he has been that kind of a QB. What are they SOOO insistent in hanging on to?

As far as what TJ or Case would or wouldn't do in comparison to what has seemingly become a lost cause is relevant only in that the only sample we have to base it on would be preseason, which as a fair or unfair comparison in terms of game intensity, etc.. but the simple fact is neither TJ or Case did anything to suggest they could play any worse than the current train wreck.

If there ever was a reason for having a backup quarterback, other than injury sakes, THIS HAS TO QUALIFY.

From here on out... when Schaub plays well and it's "good for him". When he plays poorly, it's "what do you expect"?

As a Texan fan, I want to see Mr. Pick Six stroll out there as much as Jets fan wants to see Mr. Butt Fumble take the field.

Please put the fan base out of their misery!

Find out now.

I completely agree. As CloakNNNDagger has stated convincingly in his opinion as a doctor, Matt Schaub is finished. The Lisfranc injury he had is degenerative and we could have an exorcism and get all the best shrinks to help him mentally and it STILL WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Schaub's problem is a degenerative physical condition. Don't get me wrong, his confidence is shot and he is making bad decisions but the root cause is the degenerative physical condition.

There is ZERO UPSIDE in playing a QB that physically can't get better which means his production is impossible to improve. Play a healthy QB and there is a chance we spark the team and having just an average QB in terms of mobility and standing in the pocket would do wonders.

I bet it would take a first round pick for them to even consider trading him... Its going to be a Rodgers type situation for him, will be forced to sit behind the starting QB for 3 to 4 years until his contract expires or they decide to part ways with RG III (highly doutful)

OR Texans wait till next year. Wouldn't that be the 3rd year of a 4 year rookie contract? Wait till next year, offer a deal because no way Cousins is gonna sit behind RG3 knowing he can start for several teams and why wouldn't Washington want to get something for him instead of letting him walk?

I think, for the right price, Washington would deal him...

Instead of overpaying for Cousins why not try and find the next RG3 in the draft? Cousins just doesn't pass my eye test, I'd rather swing for the fences with a guy like Mariota or Taj Boyd then be stuck with someone who will probably morph into another Schaub. Before yall go ballistic, yes I'm almost blind and no I didn't watch every Kirk Cousins snap, my memory is one phenomenal game, then a whole lotta "meh" ... Same exact way I feel about Vicks backup ( can't think of his name)

Use the assets in play and sweeten it with Foster, jump into the top 10 and possibly bounce back as soon as next year.

Back