Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

We're now back to Mallet! This thread..

4664b61763abd352808a84580bb2013d--charlie-day-charlie-kelly.jpg

We can thank O'Brien for this one too.

He should have never put on a Texans uniform.

O'Brien brings him from New England, starts him over Fitzpatrick, starts him over Hoyer, and it's a Rick guy because Rick wanted to wait an extra day to cut him?

Riiiight.

I know that was the purpose of O'Brien's leak, which just goes to show that he is willing to blame Rick for stuff that is clearly his fault (starting Savage over Watson).

Also, if that's what he is blaming Rick for, then he clearly doesn't have much to blame Rick for because that's weak.

I guess Rick wasn't the one to sign Allen, draft XSF or let Bouye go because then O'Brien would definitely leak it.

Last edited:
O'Brien brings him from New England, starts him over Fitzpatrick, starts him over Hoyer, and it's a Rick guy because Rick wanted to wait an extra day to cut him?

Riiiight.

I know that was the purpose of O'Brien's leak, which just goes to show that he is willing to blame Rick for stuff that is clearly his fault (starting Savage over Watson).

Also, if that's what he is blaming Rick for, then he clearly doesn't have much to blame Rick for because that's weak.

I guess Rick wasn't the one to sign Allen, draft XSF or let Bouye go because then O'Brien would definitely leak it.

Man, you clearly know a hell of a lot more than the rest of us.

I wish OB would have been fired just so this nonsense would end. The pure speculation on this board has reached heights I never thought possible. Nah, that's not true. I remember when Kubiak was being blamed for sabotaging Case Keenum. So really this is kind of normal for Texans fans. Carry on.

Riiiight.

Mallet may have got here because Bill knew him from NE but he didn't coddle him and Mallet needed a shoulder to cry on and that was Rick . Bill is a hardcore football guy that doesn't accept the crybaby ways .

Rick wanted Mallet cause he was cheap and we all know what a quality cheap QB can do .

Last edited:
Yep earl

2 games of mallet over fitz..
Fitz started the season and the Texans going 4-5. He replaced fitz. Mallet lasted 2 games before injury

Cut after the 7th game in 2015
Hoyer started against KC in season opener.

Bob likes to play carousel with the qbs.
I don't deny he has a big ass flaw when picking QB's.

I am not sure why bill didn't keep fitz around another stop gap year. I guess he figured mallet would be ready after the injury and holding the clip board more. And with fitz coming off the leg injury bob got it wrong again

Yeah b/c BoB was responsible for resigning those guys right? Let’s say we pay both those guys for 3 and 8 million per respectively...which is what they got In FA. That’s 12 million less we had to give a 2X DPOY that was getting ready to come off his rookie deal that had actually earned the 10-12 million he would eventually get....unless of course you’re saying we should’ve let JJ test the FA market and risk losing him...

You guys are starting to sound ridiculous.
This argument is a fail considering what the Texans paid Jeff Allen

Well that's six, and I don't know about cleaning house, but the teams who have gone further* during the Texan's history, after hiring a new coach with less time than OB... Tampa Bay, Philly, Carolina, Atlanta, Chicago, NY Giants, Green Bay, Arizona, New Orleans, Minnesota, San Francisco, Seattle, Arizona(again), Atlanta, Raiders, Colts, San Diego, Baltimore, Colts(again), NY Jets, Pittsburgh, Denver to name most of them.

*As defined by going further in the playoffs
Seriously? Go through those and delete the ones with QBs that are considered to have "franchise" qbs. SF got one via trade, Carolina, Atlanta, Philly, NYG, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Colts. All of those have a legit franchise QB. STFU.

Yep earl

2 games of mallet over fitz..
Fitz started the season and the Texans going 4-5. He replaced fitz. Mallet lasted 2 games before injury

Cut after the 7th game in 2015
Hoyer started against KC in season opener.

Bob likes to play carousel with the qbs.
I don't deny he has a big ass flaw when picking QB's.

I am not sure why bill didn't keep fitz around another stop gap year. I guess he figured mallet would be ready after the injury and holding the clip board more. And with fitz coming off the leg injury bob got it wrong again

Mallet was on Hard Knocks , throwing a hissy and missing practice , talking to Rick . Mallet talked like Malibu's Most Wanted and made excuses . After Mallet I knew Brock wouldn't make it because their release is to long .

This argument is a fail considering what the Texans paid Jeff Allen

And Ed Reed over Quin .

One Pro Bowl JJ , Barwin , Mario , and Glover Quin were on the same defense . I was at a company function with my wife and some friends and ate lunch with Conner Barwin . I told him it made me sad to watch him , Mario and Quin at the pro bowl for another team . He prefered brisket over Philly cheese steak .

And Ed Reed over Quin .

One Pro Bowl JJ , Barwin , Mario , and Glover Quin were on the same defense . I was at a company function with my wife and some friends and ate lunch with Conner Barwin . I told him it made me sad to watch him , Mario and Quin at the pro bowl for another team . He prefered brisket over Philly cheese steak .
Do you have a point?

Seriously? Go through those and delete the ones with QBs that are considered to have "franchise" qbs. SF got one via trade, Carolina, Atlanta, Philly, NYG, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Colts. All of those have a legit franchise QB. STFU.
Seriously, O'Brien was billed as the quarterback whisperer. If "He" thinks Mallet and Hoyer are QBs we should be proud of, he should have coached em up or kept his big mouth shut as he didn't know what he was talking about.
And by the way, you STFU

I'd rather he was canned .... When he took over this team it was a QB away from being a real contender. What he did was bring in a bunch of garbage at that position of need , the rest of the team carried those garbage QB's to three consecutive 9-7 records ... while the offense got worse on a yearly basis. He let opportunity after opportunity pass by before the owner finally b!tched enough about the QB spot that he had a high draft pick forced upon him .... then proceeded to start Tom (below) Average ahead of that guy.

All that time the key players were aging or moving on ....

He let what was one of the best OL's in the league fall to pieces .... now its one of the worst.

He's made dozens of mistakes in clock / game management .... but we're not gonna talk about those , according to him.

He's shown me absolutely nothing that says he's anything but average or below as a head coach.

Yeah , injuries derailed this season .... but he wasn't part of the solution - Watson playing otherworldly made him look competent for a string of games. Then it was back to ..... average to below.

And of course while Watson played otherworldly the best the team could do was 3-4 because of OBs stupid mistakes. Now instead of our great new quarterback being aided by a great coach he's going to have to drag an anchor and try and overcome his head coaches mistakes.

It should make the excuse makers feel really warm and fuzzy that McNair decided to keep O'Brien. After all, he's proven what a great football mind he has.

Watson and OB did not work well together. OB couldn't even see what he had. So when Watson went in OB had to improvise rather than run what he wants. This is not like OB saw Watson, designed a modified O for him and the whole team practiced it in training camp. It was a hail Mary. Part of that was letting Watson play more like he did in college so of course he liked it.

Jury is out on what a deliberate pairing looks like.

Yea go back and look at the stats over those 6 games and tell me they didn't work well together. were you at training camp during both the open and closed portions to know that they didn't work on any of these plays with Watson, or is that just your fan speculation? it's was reported Obrien had 2 different style of offenses going in training camp to accommodate both of his qbs.

and lets just say your theory that Obrien didn't have any of this stuff in his playbook beforehand, and he just made it up on the fly. if he can develop an offense that suits Watson that well that quickly, is like to see what he could do with a hole off season of working on it
And of course while Watson played otherworldly the best the team could do was 3-4 because of OBs stupid mistakes. Now instead of our great new quarterback being aided by a great coach he's going to have to drag an anchor and try and overcome his head coaches mistakes.

It should make the excuse makers feel really warm and fuzzy that McNair decided to keep O'Brien. After all, he's proven what a great football mind he has.

did Obrien make a mistake taking the ball out of Watson's hands? probably we don't know for sure, but I don't think he should have. but the defense lost those games. you shouldn't lose an NFL game if you score 30 or more points, this isn't the big 12

Seriously, O'Brien was billed as the quarterback whisperer. If "He" thinks Mallet and Hoyer are QBs we should be proud of, he should have coached em up or kept his big mouth shut as he didn't know what he was talking about.
And by the way, you STFU

Ok, im convinced you are a troll...noone can spew this much idiotic garbage and not be.

it's was reported Obrien had 2 different style of offenses going in training camp to accommodate both of his qbs.

Link? A few extra plays for someone faster than a 3 toed sloth is not "2 different styles of offense."

and lets just say your theory that Obrien didn't have any of this stuff in his playbook beforehand, and he just made it up on the fly.

Didn't say he made it up on the fly. Said he looked back at Clemson & looked at parts of the playbook he normally ignores. E.g. E-P has bootlegs in the playbook. OB just never calls them.

I've complimented OB before, and do with Watson, on getting outside his box when playing backups. Problem is he returns to 'the system' when the emergency is over.

Where do you get that he has ever called a play? OB said Ryan wants to, not he has. Be damned odd for a QB coach to call plays.
It's not that odd. If memory serves, BOB called plays for 3 years in NE. Two as QB coach and one as OC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's not that odd. If memory serves, BOB called plays for 3 years in NE. Two as QB coach and one as OC.

You just proved how odd it is. When Josh McDaniels left NE they had no OC for 2 years. OB was the de facto OC but not de jure until they gave him both titles in 2011.

We went without an OC last year with the express intent of the HC calling the plays.

But normal is the OC calls the plays. The biggest exception is where an offensive minded HC calls the plays like Kubiak at times and Shanny Sr. at times. Have never heard of a QB coach calling plays with an OC.

Texans owner says next general manager will control personnel
O'Brien part of 4-man committee that starts interviews next week
By John McClain, Houston Chronicle

January 3, 2018

Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien, left, talks with owner Bob McNair before an NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers Monday, Dec. 25, 2017, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith)
Owner Bob McNair disclosed Wednesday the Texans' plan to start interviews next week to find their new general manager and hope to have the position filled within two weeks.

McNair said the new general manager will have the same control over personnel that Rick Smith had and will answer only to McNair and vice chairman Cal McNair.

Once the new GM is in place, the McNairs will turn their attention to coach Bill O'Brien's contract situation. O'Brien, who has one year left on his deal, is expected to sign a long-term extension.

The McNairs, president Jamey Rootes and O'Brien form the team's search committee that will hire the third general manager in the Texans' 17-year history.

"The GM is going to have full authority over personnel, and he'll report to Cal and me," McNair said. "That's our main message to potential GMs, and there's no question about that."He'll have the draft and free agency. He'll handle all football operations and sports performance, which is weight room, training room, doctors and nutrition."

McNair wouldn't reveal candidates they've asked permission to interview. The interviews begin next week, and four candidates are known: Buffalo vice president of player personnel Brian Gaine, New England vice president of player personnel Nick Caserio, Texans vice president of football operations/assistant general manager Jimmy Raye III and Green Bay director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst.

Gaine interviews Tuesday, a day before Raye.

"I'd like to get it done in a week or two - the sooner the better," McNair said. "We know what we want. We'll pick somebody Cal and I like, coach O'Brien likes, and Jamey likes. We pretty much agree on what we're looking for. I think we'll have a consensus as to how we'll rate the prospects.

"We're going to go through this on the GM, get that behind us, and then we'll address it (O'Brien's contract)."

The GM position is vacant because Smith has taken a year-long leave of absence to help take care of his wife, Tiffany, who is undergoing treatment for breast cancer, and their three children.

Smith said Monday he'll retain his title of executive vice president and plans to return in 2019. There's no guarantee he'll be back.

"Rick needs to take care of his family," McNair said. "Hopefully, they'll get good results this year. Some people have raised the question if Rick comes back at the end of a year, (whether) he's going to have undue influence on the GM. That's not the case at all.

"Rick might not want to come back. We don't know what Rick might do. That's something we'll discuss a year from now. The only concern is to take care of his family, and we're not going beyond that."

As they did when they interviewed coaching candidates in 2014 and hired O'Brien from Penn State, the Texans are using the search firm of Korn Ferry, headed by Jed Hughes.

"There are a number of people I think can do a very good job," McNair said. "We're fortunate in that regard and not limited to just one person. We'll try to find the one that's the best fit for us.

"When we get that person, we'll move. If we've interviewed a number of people and we still don't feel comfortable, we'll keep interviewing until we find somebody that fits our culture and brings the capability and dedication to our organization."

No housecleaning yet

McNair said the new GM can hire people he wants to join him but won't be able to make wholesale changes this year. People in the personnel department who were hired by Smith are concerned about losing their jobs.

"He may have one or two key people he's worked with and are valuable members of his team, and he might want to bring them in," McNair said. "I think that's reasonable. It's also reasonable to ask that person to work with the people we have this year and see what he thinks.

"We're not going to have somebody come in and clean house and start firing everybody. After he's worked with them for a while, if he thinks they're not capable of doing the kind of job we expect, he can replace them."

Because O'Brien and Smith had irreconcilable differences that reached a boiling point, McNair wants his coach on the search committee. There's a lot of speculation that the Texans should hire a general manager who knows O'Brien or has worked with him. He worked with Raye this season and has worked with Gaine with the Texans (2014-2016) and Caserio with the Patriots (2007-2011).

"Since coach O'Brien is on the interview committee with us, he can have his input and feel good about it," McNair said. "There's no question that coach O'Brien is on board with us.

"Bill is going to have a better-grounded opinion of somebody he's worked with, as opposed to somebody he hasn't worked with. He would know a lot more about them. There are a number he's familiar with and would be happy to work with. It's not a matter of finding only one person he can get along with."

McNair said they don't want a general manager who's a yes man to the owners or O'Brien. He wants a general manager who's confident, has strong opinions and isn't afraid to offer a differing point of view. Kind of like O'Brien.

"You want somebody's who's confident of their viewpoint, can present it and defend it, and yet listen to other people if somebody's got a better argument, a stronger argument, accept it and move on," McNair said. "That's what we ask of all of our people, really, is speaking your mind and tell us what you think.

"You don't have to agree with me. If you disagree with me, I'm not going to get mad at you. I want to know why you disagree, what is the basis for it, and I'll consider it and decide if that makes more sense than what I'm already considering. If you have a stronger argument, I can be convinced."

Owner praises coach

THE REST OF THE STORY

Man, you clearly know a hell of a lot more than the rest of us.

I wish OB would have been fired just so this nonsense would end. The pure speculation on this board has reached heights I never thought possible. Nah, that's not true. I remember when Kubiak was being blamed for sabotaging Case Keenum. So really this is kind of normal for Texans fans. Carry on.

Then let's just stick to what we can see.

The roster is awful after 4 years of OBrien, we don't have our top 2 picks, the playcalling sucks, and the clock management sucks (but he won't learn because it's just bs)

Texans owner says next general manager will control personnel
O'Brien part of 4-man committee that starts interviews next week
By John McClain, Houston Chronicle

January 3, 2018

Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien, left, talks with owner Bob McNair before an NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers Monday, Dec. 25, 2017, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith)
Owner Bob McNair disclosed Wednesday the Texans' plan to start interviews next week to find their new general manager and hope to have the position filled within two weeks.

McNair said the new general manager will have the same control over personnel that Rick Smith had and will answer only to McNair and vice chairman Cal McNair.

Once the new GM is in place, the McNairs will turn their attention to coach Bill O'Brien's contract situation. O'Brien, who has one year left on his deal, is expected to sign a long-term extension.

The McNairs, president Jamey Rootes and O'Brien form the team's search committee that will hire the third general manager in the Texans' 17-year history.

"The GM is going to have full authority over personnel, and he'll report to Cal and me," McNair said. "That's our main message to potential GMs, and there's no question about that."He'll have the draft and free agency. He'll handle all football operations and sports performance, which is weight room, training room, doctors and nutrition."

McNair wouldn't reveal candidates they've asked permission to interview. The interviews begin next week, and four candidates are known: Buffalo vice president of player personnel Brian Gaine, New England vice president of player personnel Nick Caserio, Texans vice president of football operations/assistant general manager Jimmy Raye III and Green Bay director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst.

Gaine interviews Tuesday, a day before Raye.

"I'd like to get it done in a week or two - the sooner the better," McNair said. "We know what we want. We'll pick somebody Cal and I like, coach O'Brien likes, and Jamey likes. We pretty much agree on what we're looking for. I think we'll have a consensus as to how we'll rate the prospects.

"We're going to go through this on the GM, get that behind us, and then we'll address it (O'Brien's contract)."

The GM position is vacant because Smith has taken a year-long leave of absence to help take care of his wife, Tiffany, who is undergoing treatment for breast cancer, and their three children.

Smith said Monday he'll retain his title of executive vice president and plans to return in 2019. There's no guarantee he'll be back.

"Rick needs to take care of his family," McNair said. "Hopefully, they'll get good results this year. Some people have raised the question if Rick comes back at the end of a year, (whether) he's going to have undue influence on the GM. That's not the case at all.

"Rick might not want to come back. We don't know what Rick might do. That's something we'll discuss a year from now. The only concern is to take care of his family, and we're not going beyond that."

As they did when they interviewed coaching candidates in 2014 and hired O'Brien from Penn State, the Texans are using the search firm of Korn Ferry, headed by Jed Hughes.

"There are a number of people I think can do a very good job," McNair said. "We're fortunate in that regard and not limited to just one person. We'll try to find the one that's the best fit for us.

"When we get that person, we'll move. If we've interviewed a number of people and we still don't feel comfortable, we'll keep interviewing until we find somebody that fits our culture and brings the capability and dedication to our organization."

No housecleaning yet

McNair said the new GM can hire people he wants to join him but won't be able to make wholesale changes this year. People in the personnel department who were hired by Smith are concerned about losing their jobs.

"He may have one or two key people he's worked with and are valuable members of his team, and he might want to bring them in," McNair said. "I think that's reasonable. It's also reasonable to ask that person to work with the people we have this year and see what he thinks.

"We're not going to have somebody come in and clean house and start firing everybody. After he's worked with them for a while, if he thinks they're not capable of doing the kind of job we expect, he can replace them."

Because O'Brien and Smith had irreconcilable differences that reached a boiling point, McNair wants his coach on the search committee. There's a lot of speculation that the Texans should hire a general manager who knows O'Brien or has worked with him. He worked with Raye this season and has worked with Gaine with the Texans (2014-2016) and Caserio with the Patriots (2007-2011).

"Since coach O'Brien is on the interview committee with us, he can have his input and feel good about it," McNair said. "There's no question that coach O'Brien is on board with us.

"Bill is going to have a better-grounded opinion of somebody he's worked with, as opposed to somebody he hasn't worked with. He would know a lot more about them. There are a number he's familiar with and would be happy to work with. It's not a matter of finding only one person he can get along with."

McNair said they don't want a general manager who's a yes man to the owners or O'Brien. He wants a general manager who's confident, has strong opinions and isn't afraid to offer a differing point of view. Kind of like O'Brien.

"You want somebody's who's confident of their viewpoint, can present it and defend it, and yet listen to other people if somebody's got a better argument, a stronger argument, accept it and move on," McNair said. "That's what we ask of all of our people, really, is speaking your mind and tell us what you think.

"You don't have to agree with me. If you disagree with me, I'm not going to get mad at you. I want to know why you disagree, what is the basis for it, and I'll consider it and decide if that makes more sense than what I'm already considering. If you have a stronger argument, I can be convinced."

Owner praises coach

THE REST OF THE STORY

Does it seem like the GM is gonna have more power than OBrien?

It even mentions that the GM could conduct a housecleaning next year.

If accurate, that does make me slightly more optimistic.

Does it seem like the GM is gonna have more power than OBrien?

It even mentions that the GM could conduct a housecleaning next year.

If accurate, that does make me slightly more optimistic.

Well, it will be interesting to see who get's the job. My money is on whichever one is already trying to figure out what is Cal and the kids favorite hangout.

If you say so it must be true.

BOB said he wanted to start Watson game #1 and was talked out of it by Ricky.

Is he lying? Maybe but I know what BOB said doesn't fit the narrative you're selling.
Why would smith talk Obrien out of starting the 1st rd qb? Why would smith care about a guy (savage) whome he wouldn't have ever drafted?

Seems easy to ***** about the Bob taking Hoyer.
Who was available?

Locker?
Mallet?
Sanchez?
Matt Moore
Shaun hill?
I guess if we picked any of those QBs at the time. We would be discussing that qb instead of Hoyer. I believe at the time Hoyer was picked because of familiarity with bobs system.

Draft was Winston and Marita going 1 and 2. No way we would have moved up.

Grayson went to the saints at 75.

That year for qbs was slim pickens

Not defending Bob on this but people aren'
Looking at the big picture

We took Johnson and McKinney with 1st 2 picks.
Carr,Bridgewater, Jimmy G were all there to draft.

Yea go back and look at the stats over those 6 games and tell me they didn't work well together. were you at training camp during both the open and closed portions to know that they didn't work on any of these plays with Watson, or is that just your fan speculation? it's was reported Obrien had 2 different style of offenses going in training camp to accommodate both of his qbs.

and lets just say your theory that Obrien didn't have any of this stuff in his playbook beforehand, and he just made it up on the fly. if he can develop an offense that suits Watson that well that quickly, is like to see what he could do with a hole off season of working on it

did Obrien make a mistake taking the ball out of Watson's hands? probably we don't know for sure, but I don't think he should have. but the defense lost those games. you shouldn't lose an NFL game if you score 30 or more points, this isn't the big 12

With the team fully aware of its defensive unit's shortcomings...why didn't the offense just out score opposing teams? Watson was pretty unstoppable as all of us should have witnessed. The defense carried this team for O'Brien's first three seasons when the offense nor ST's could be counted on. In the fourth season, ST's (once again) and the defense were both liabilities but the offense never quite stood up and took on the responsibility of winning games. Why didn't O'Brien just keep the offensive throttle down in those situations? Not, throttle-down and rely on the teams shaky running game and defense to hold the leads.

I've been a firm believer in the Barry Switzer School of Throttling. If his teams deserved to win games 70-0, then he let it happen, never pulled up and never made apologies.

Last edited:
With the team fully aware of its defensive unit's shortcomings...why didn't the offense just out score opposing teams? Watson was pretty unstoppable as all of us should have witnessed. The defense carried this team for O'Brien's first three seasons when the offense nor ST's could be counted on. In the fourth season, ST's (once again) and the defense were both liabilities but the offense never quite stood up and took on the responsibility of winning games. Why didn't O'Brien just keep the offensive throttle down in those situations? Not, throttle-down and rely on the teams shaky running game and defense to hold the leads.

I've been a firm believer in the Barry Switzer School of Throttling. If his teams deserved to win games 70-0, then he let it happen, never pulled up and never made apologies.

Its so simple right? Hard to "throttle" your opponent when you can't protect the trigger man.

we didn't throttle down in either the patriots or Seahawks games as we couldn't since they were both shoot outs, so I don't know what you are getting at. I can't blame him in the patriots game, you take the points there. hind sight makes us think other side, but 99% of the time you take a 4 point lead make them drive the length of the field and score a touchdown instead of risking it on 4th with the off chance you don't get it then all Brady needs is a field goal. if he had gone for it and not gotten it he would be even more criticized over that move.

at the end of the Seahawks game both Watson and Obrien has said there was a miscommunication in the play call. that happens with a rookie qb, maybe Obrien intended to keep the ball in Watson's hands, and Watson got the wrong call, or Watson thought he saw something and changed the play? we won't know because they will never tell us. but to say we throttled down in either game is just flat out wrong

Yes they have

I think the McNair's are all about $$$$. They're not going to waste $$$$ on a GM search for an interim GM search. What in the McNair's past would make you think differently? Look at what happened in the past when they've used firms. Status quo = promoting Raye and not needing a search firm.
Hold on "Sherlock"....isn't that how O'Brien got here??
The Texans are using Korn Ferry led by executive Jed Hughes, a former college football coach who assisted the AFC South franchise during their job search in 2014 when they hired coach Bill O'Brien.

Korn Ferry's other past work in the NFL includes placing Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid, former New York Jets general manager John Idzik, Green Bay Packers team president Mark Murphy, Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider.
And they were used elsewhere to place some of your favorite GMs around the league. You GOTTA like this direction, right?? The McNairs using a 'football guy', with a track record of success, to find a new GM.
LINK

And I say again, *I* believe (speculation alert) Rick Smith won't be back in the GM role; it'll be closer to what Coughlin does in Jacksonville.

we didn't throttle down in either the patriots or Seahawks games as we couldn't since they were both shoot outs, so I don't know what you are getting at. I can't blame him in the patriots game, you take the points there. hind sight makes us think other side, but 99% of the time you take a 4 point lead make them drive the length of the field and score a touchdown instead of risking it on 4th with the off chance you don't get it then all Brady needs is a field goal. if he had gone for it and not gotten it he would be even more criticized over that move.

at the end of the Seahawks game both Watson and Obrien has said there was a miscommunication in the play call. that happens with a rookie qb, maybe Obrien intended to keep the ball in Watson's hands, and Watson got the wrong call, or Watson thought he saw something and changed the play? we won't know because they will never tell us. but to say we throttled down in either game is just flat out wrong

Don't bother man.

Initial impression is Geen Bay guy seems the way to go

No friends of Rick (Raye) or Bill (Gaine and Caserio)

Last edited:
Initial impression is Geen Bay guy seems the way to go

No friends of Rick (Raye) or Bill (Gaine and Caserio)

The one possible detraction there is Green Bay is a reluctant player in free agency.

Caserio seems the best qualified. Not sure he even qualifies as a friend of OB. We really have no idea what if any relationship they have.

The one possible detraction there is Green Bay is a reluctant player in free agency.

Caserio seems the best qualified. Not sure he even qualifies as a friend of OB. We really have no idea what if any relationship they have.

Didn't someone mention their families getting together? Just concerned about Caserio being objective.

Green Bay is reluctant in free agency because I think they believe best way to build is through draft. I think that is a very defensible perspective and I personally agree with it, but it also means he would be pitch a multi-year process.

Why would smith talk Obrien out of starting the 1st rd qb? Why would smith care about a guy (savage) whome he wouldn't have ever drafted?

Because Ricky didn't fix the Ol and knew that is prized QB pick wouldn't be protected properly. It was part of Ricky's power play to get rid of BOB. Luckily the plan backfired on Ricky. # Dysfunction is the word most commonly used.

Because Ricky's gone that should tell you how things were going on behind the scenes. McNair basically gave the godfather of his grandkids the boot. (Gracefully) Either way is doesn't matter Ricky's gone. (Good riddance)

BTW, using Cak's logic, how do we know Savage wasn't Ricky's pick.

Didn't someone mention their families getting together? Just concerned about Caserio being objective.

Green Bay is reluctant in free agency because I think they believe best way to build is through draft. I think that is a very defensible perspective and I personally agree with it, but it also means he would be pitch a multi-year process.

green bay's depth has been an issue for them for awhile now, not bad tree to go down, but far from the best

#Texans owner Bob McNair on signing Bill O'Brien to a long-term extension: "We're going to address that right after we deal with hiring the GM. I think that we'll work something out that we're all happy with."

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) January 4, 2018

BTW, using Cak's logic, how do we know Savage wasn't Ricky's pick.

You need to comprehend before you predict.

I have consistently agreed with the Texans' public statements, unless there is something unusual the picks are jointly agreed.

Specifically on QBs I have said common sense says (but we don't know for certain) that RS (former DB) defers on QBs to OB (QB whisperer). Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett support that inference.

You need to comprehend before you predict.

I have consistently agreed with the Texans' public statements, unless there is something unusual the picks are jointly agreed.

Specifically on QBs I have said common sense says (but we don't know for certain) that RS (former DB) defers on QBs to OB (QB whisperer). Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett support that inference.

Was Watson?

Or did Ricky just get to pick the good QB's?

What about Os was that Ricky's pick or was it BOB's since Os sucked?

Hold on "Sherlock"....isn't that how O'Brien got here??
And they were used elsewhere to place some of your favorite GMs around the league. You GOTTA like this direction, right?? The McNairs using a 'football guy', with a track record of success, to find a new GM.
LINK

And I say again, *I* believe (speculation alert) Rick Smith won't be back in the GM role; it'll be closer to what Coughlin does in Jacksonville.

If Ricky has a Coughlin type job, no GM worth a salt will want to work here.

Roster building should be a combination of Draft/FA/Trades. Or atleast that's how BB does it.

Was Watson?

Or did Ricky just get to pick the good QB's?

What about Os was that Ricky's pick or was it BOB's since Os sucked?

Stop with your aspersion crap. I have never ascribed a pick solely to either. Unlike you, I don't operate that way without evidence.

Double Barrel has laid out that OB & RS agreed on Oz.

I have no reason to believe Watson was not a joint pick.

Stop with your aspersion crap. I have never ascribed a pick solely to either. Unlike you, I don't operate that way without evidence.

Double Barrel has laid out that OB & RS agreed on Oz.

I have no reason to believe Watson was not a joint pick.

A little on the touchy side this afternoon.

Throw Mickey Mouse out there with a helmet, great heart and a chip on his shoulder...........and he will still look like Mickey Mouse with a helmet playing football.
Our team was competitive in enough games before the last month of the season to represent more than Mickey Mouse. I will just disagree with most of this board in regards to the problem being a lack of talent.

Last edited:
Our team was competitive in enough games before the last month of the season to represent Mickey Mouse. I will just disagree with most of this board in regards to the problem being a lack of talent.

Yep,

Look at the OL, that was a really talented group.

A healthy Deshaun Watson played at a record pace. He threw some ill-timed interceptions but he was arguably an MVP candidate prior to his season-ending injury. When Watson was playing I didn't hear many people complain about our weak offensive line. Our offense was also ranked #1 in the entire league in points per game and offensive yards per game for a four-game stretch with Watson going bonkers and dominating.

Watson was receiving high praise from the superstars on the other team like Tom Brady, Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman (he called Deshaun the best quarterback the Legion of Boom has ever faced - and they faced Brady, Rodgers, Manning, to name a few future Hall of Famers, etc... etc...). That's how special Deshaun Watson was and how sensational he was performing.

I promise you we don't go 4-12 if Deshaun had played the entire 2017 season. We'd most likely be playing the KC Chiefs in that AFC wild-card game this weekend instead of the Tennessee Titans. Speaking of the Titans, we spanked them with ease, 57-to-14, with Deshaun Watson behind center! That's how freakin' good we were playing. We smashed a playoff team. Deshaun also had us in position to beat the Patriots and Seahawks on the road (we led late in the game), but unfortunately some bad playcalling by Bill O'Brien hurt us. Hopefully those are good learning experiences heading into 2018.

All and all, there's room to be very optimistic about the Houston Texans going into 2018. Sure, the Browns have our #4 overall pick but that's essentially Deshaun Watson. Well worth it, IMO. Good luck to the Browns trying to draft their franchise quarterback with the #1 and #4 overall picks. If they end up botching those picks and end up with a bust at quarterback, yet again, then the Texans made the better trade.

I haven't even talked about J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus, two of our best defensive players, also coming back in 2018. Just with Deshaun Watson returning we're a dangerous team capable of beating any team, home or road, but you add in two difference makers on the front seven defensively, and all of a sudden we're going to be a tough team to beat in 2018. Which is why I mentioned the AFC Championship Game next year. It's not as far fetched as people make it seem. It will take a lot of luck for us to stay healthy but it's a doable goal to set.

A healthy Deshaun Watson played at a record pace. He threw some ill-timed interceptions but he was arguably an MVP candidate prior to his season-ending injury. When Watson was playing I didn't hear many people complain about our weak offensive line. Our offense was also ranked #1 in the entire league in points per game and offensive yards per game for a four-game stretch with Watson going bonkers and dominating.

Then you weren't listening too carefully. I wasn't the only one pointing out that the Oline looked terrible, that Watson was able to "neutralize" their play by his elusiveness, and that Watson being forced to [successfully] run for his life on many plays would eventually be injured when he could not avoid the rush or while in the act of carrying the ball. Just because Watson was successful, that success was in spite of the Oline's play...........not because of it.

Back