Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Who do y’all think are some of the best scheme fit LBs to watch. I love Chad Muma. Something about a technically sound LB that doesn’t miss tackles gives me the warm and fuzzies. I’d love it if Texans snagged him in the second round.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Maybe we can talk the Giants into trading up with us to take Neal. With their two picks in the 1st, we could get OT Cross, and C Linderbaum. That would go a long way towards fixing our OLine.
Uhn no... the giants are picking 5th and 8th overall at the moment. that's enough to pay for the first overall pick in the draft and get some late round change. the price if would be giants 1st and giants 2nd. anyway, the giants are in position to take two top ten players on a roster with holes all over the place. Neal is not light years better than the next OT on the board.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Caserio isn't my guy.

I'm just willing to give him a chance before passing judgement on him.
He did pretty good in his first draft for us.
Mills is looking like a good albeit surprise pick and Collins, Jordan and Lopez have shown flashes even as mid to late round rookies.
Can't complain about those so this next draft will be really interesting especially if we pick up some capital from DW4.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Uhn no... the giants are picking 5th and 8th overall at the moment. that's enough to pay for the first overall pick in the draft and get some late round change. the price if would be giants 1st and giants 2nd. anyway, the giants are in position to take two top ten players on a roster with holes all over the place. Neal is not light years better than the next OT on the board.

I dunno is the NFLs "Draft Value Chart" a static instrument for valuing Draft picks or is it modified some years ?
It's my understand that that Jimmy Johnson was somebody who was involved in developing the Chart back in the 20th century ?

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I dunno is the NFLs "Draft Value Chart" a static instrument for valuing Draft picks or is it modified some years ?
It's my understand that that Jimmy Johnson was somebody who was involved in developing the Chart back in the 20th century ?
My understanding is that the chart is modified most years and is not exact team by team. For us draftnerds it really gives us a general idea of value, so when we propose or see trades there is a place to go on. That said, the "chart" is often violated by teams for that teams own reasons.

In my head, at least, this I don't think the first pick is worth the full 3000 points, as there is not a clear number 1 player nor is that player a QB.

And Jimmy Johnson did develop the first chart.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Depends on what Caserio thinks of Linderbaum/Green etc....

If a couple of QB's get picked in the top 8-10 that leaves 6 or 7 top position players available. For instance is there that much difference between Linderbaum/Green/ Charles Cross than Neal? Is there that much difference between Ojabo and Thibodeaux or Booth/Stingley?

If you can trade down this is the draft to do it.
If Texans can trade back even a couple of spots to say 5 or 6 and still get Hamilton, I'm all in. That slide back should net us a high second which will get us another high caliber player.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
no doubt a lot of that is going to happen….b/c it happens every year….but most teams still on average dont trade all the way up into the top 5 b/c it’s too costly. Then when you add in the fact that there will be potentially 3 proven franchise guys in Rodgers, Wilson and DW4 available for trade…( not to mention others who could be up traded…Carr/Jimmy G) it really becomes cost prohibitive for these teams to throw away draft capital to move up in the draft for guys that haven’t played a down in the NFL.
Those guys will still command a premium trade and will still leave voids from where they were traded from.
Almost every year we see QB's going higher than expected and teams will still be hungry for the most important position on the field.
Jags, Jets and Lions likely will sit pat with their recent QB acquisitions so it augers well that there will be teams behind us willing to make a small jump up to get one of the top 3 QB's in this one - especially if they think Texans may take the one they have their eye on.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
It was actually a Cowboys' minority owner at the time by the name of Mike McCoy..

Flashback: The origin story for the Cowboys’ legendary NFL draft trade value chart

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Lions also clinch top 1-2 pick … After a loss to Seattle on the far coast, Detroit has clinched one of the first two picks at the 2022 draft. Jacksonville had wrapped up the other 1-2 pick earlier today with a loss in New England. For the record, both close out their regular seasons next week with the Jags hosting Indianapolis, while the Lions will be playing Green Bay. In fact, the first nine picks in the opening round selection order, at least for this week, are set with Jacksonville at #1, Detroit at #2, Houston at #3, the Jets at #4, the Giants at #5, Carolina up to #6, the Jets with Seattle’s pick at #7, the Giants with the Bears’ pick at #8 and Washington at #9. As usual, the full updated opening selection order for 2022 were the draft held this week will be posted after tomorrow night’s Monday night game.

So with Titans playing for number 1 seed and having been embarrassed by the Texans already, the Texans are as closed to being locked into the 3rd pick as possible without playing the game.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The Jags have to determine if they want to roll the dice on DE, Hutchinson or go with protecting Lawrence’s blindside…..my guess, blindside protection for years to come will be the choice.

That will move Hutchinson and Thibodeaux down to Detroit and that’ll be no-brainer for the Lions. Hutchinson would only need about 40 minutes to start unpacking.

That would throw the Clown……err, Thibodeaux decision into the Texans lap. Would the Texans get any interest in their 3 spot if Thibs is the prize? If Texans have no takers and have to make a selection, I’d be hoping real hard that it’s Safety, Hamilton (ND) who’ll be holding his Texans jersey next to Goodell.

Last edited:
The Jags have to determine if they want to roll the dice on DE, Hutchinson or go with protecting Lawrence’s blindside…..my guess, blindside protection for years to come will be the choice.

That will move Hutchinson and Thibodeaux down the Detroit and that’ll be no-brainer for the Lions. Hutchinson would only need about 40 minutes to start unpacking.

That would throw the Clown……err, Thibodeaux decision into the Texans lap. Would the Texans get any interest in their 3 spot if Thibs is the prize? If Texans have no takers and have to make a selection, I’d be hoping real hard that it’s Safety, Howard (ND) who’ll be holding his Texans jersey next to Goodell.
I don't think the Jags go with Neal, protection wasn't a problem for them and their running game was pretty decent even with the injuries (Etienne out all year and Robinson was playing hurt most of the year before tearing his Achilles tendon). Your scenario makes a case for the Texans #3 and Jets #4 pick to be valuable for a QB needy team. It will be exciting to see how this draft unfolds.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

That will move Hutchinson and Thibodeaux down the Detroit and that’ll be no-brainer for the Lions. Hutchinson would only need about 40 minutes to start unpacking.

That would throw the Clown……err, Thibodeaux decision into the Texans lap. Would the Texans get any interest in their 3 spot if Thibs is the prize? If Texans have no takers and have to make a selection, I’d be hoping real hard that it’s Safety, Howard (ND) who’ll be holding his Texans jersey next to Goodell.
Defensively the jags were ass...Our offense ran all over them twice with back ups. Plus they went offense heavy last year so I think its almost a shoe-in that Hutchison is the pick for them. Detroit is a tougher call. I believe they're going defense as well so that puts Thibodeaux in play, but i could also see them perhaps going offense with Neal there too.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't think the Jags go with Neal, protection wasn't a problem for them and their running game was pretty decent even with the injuries (Etienne out all year and Robinson was playing hurt most of the year before tearing his Achilles tendon). Your scenario makes a case for the Texans #3 and Jets #4 pick to be valuable for a QB needy team. It will be exciting to see how this draft unfolds.
Cam Robinson PFF 67 and Jawan Taylor 60. PFF not final answer but an indication. Every resource that I use for NFL team needs indicate Jacksonville has a priority need for offensive tackles on either side. Trevor Lawrence is the reason those two players did as well as they did for my two cents. Neal resolves at least one side. I would not be shocked if a team made a trade up proposal to get Hutchison. Jags could then get Neal, cross or Icky down a few spots.

If Hutchinson and Thib go 1/2, then it puts us in a great position to possibly trade back. There are plenty of OT needy teams in the top 10, and Neal would be prime for the taking. But if we end up trading Tunsil then we could possibly go with Neal.
I’m with you on I’m excited to see how the draft unfolds.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
his medicals will be key
CnD said his injury should heal up fine. This is the reason I've got Hamilton over Stingley, Lisfranc has a much shorter lifespan (Stingley) than a Meniscus (Hamilton) or atleast that's what's been described to me.

With this said, if Thibodeaux or Hutch is the pick I wont be upset.

Really rooting for Neal though.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Who do y’all think are some of the best scheme fit LBs to watch. I love Chad Muma.
I don't believe in scheme fits. You have to take the best player. You never know what scheme you'll be in from year to year.

I am very interested to see Chad Muma during Senior Bowl week. It's a thin LB draft and a guy like Muma could shoot up with a good week at Mobile.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
If Hutchinson and Thib go 1/2, then it puts us in a great position to possibly trade back. There are plenty of OT needy teams in the top 10, and Neal would be prime for the taking. But if we end up trading Tunsil then we could possibly go with Neal.
I’m with you on I’m excited to see how the draft unfolds.
I almost find myself thanking Bill O'Brien. Dang did I just say that!?! Argh!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Fortunately I believe that Stingley and Hutchison are there with Hamilton in that regard. I wish I could say Thibodaux but I am still iffy on him. There are just so many game changers in this draft.
I worry about Stingley playing CB with a history of Lisfranc injury.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Yep, Since the NYG have Thomas at LT and he was pretty good last yr, if I was the NYJ, I would focus on the top pass rusher on the board and S.

Give me Hamilton at 5 and Ojabo at 8. Truly foundational pieces.

Then draft OL in the 2nd/3rd rds.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I think the Giants could trade both round ones and their round two for 1.3 and laremy tunsil. Giant select Pickett at 3. IIRC we have to make up 40 points but two of our round 6 does that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
My understanding is that the chart is modified most years and is not exact team by team. For us draftnerds it really gives us a general idea of value, so when we propose or see trades there is a place to go on. That said, the "chart" is often violated by teams for that teams own reasons.

In my head, at least, this I don't think the first pick is worth the full 3000 points, as there is not a clear number 1 player nor is that player a QB.

I think that the chart is like the 40-yard dash and PFF rankings. Just pieces of information to use as the reader sees fit.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Would you take Gardner over Stingley in a trade down from say #3 to #6?
Yes

The amount of risk for 5 yrs of Stingley (That's how long CnD said studies have proven out that it will be before he starts having issues again. He also said that there are exceptions to this) would be in the 9-12 range.

My top 15 looks something like this

1.Neal
2.Hamilton
3.Hutch
4.Thibs
5.Gardener
6. Cross
7. Ojabo
8. Ikem
9. Stingley
10. Linderbaum
11. Green
12. Wilson
13.Penning
14. Lloyd
15. Pickett

I really dont like any of the QB's this yr. What does your top 15 look like?

You should start up a thread that guys in rds 2-5 that you would pound the table for.

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I think the Giants could trade both round ones and their round two for 1.3 and laremy tunsil. Giant select Pickett at 3. IIRC we have to make up 40 points but two of our round 6 does that.
The Giants have one the worse salary cap situations in the league and a roster with a couple of names but really is poor. More likely for them to be looking to trade down

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I don't believe in scheme fits. You have to take the best player. You never know what scheme you'll be in from year to year.

I am very interested to see Chad Muma during Senior Bowl week. It's a thin LB draft and a guy like Muma could shoot up with a good week at Mobile.
I believe more in scheme diverse, meaning such a well rounded prospect, fits in any scheme.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What does your top 15 look like?
I made a list of players I thought were 1st round locks. Not necessarily in order. Stingley, Corral, Linderbaum, London, and Jameson Williams all have medical questions, though.

1) Kayvon Thibodeaux - Edge - Oregon
2) Evan Neal - OT - Alabama
3) Derek Stingley - CB - LSU
4) Kyle Hamilton - S - Notre Dame
5) Aidan Hutchinson - Edge - Michigan
6) DeMarvin Leal - DL - Texas A&M
7) Kenyon Green - OL - Texas A&M
8) Charles Cross - OT - Mississippi State
9) George Karlaftis - Edge - Purdue
10) Ikem Ekwonu - OL - North Carolina State
11) Matt Corral - QB - Mississippi
12) Garrett Wilson - WR - Ohio State
13) Andrew Booth - CB - Clemson
14) Treylon Burks - WR - Arkansas
15) David Ojabo - Edge - Michigan
16) Tyler Linderbaum - C - Iowa
17) Ahmad Gardner - CB - Cincinnati
18) Chris Olave - WR - Ohio State
19) Jordan Davis - DL - Georgia
20) Drake London - WR - USC
21) Devin Lloyd - LB - Utah
22) Jameson Williams - WR - Alabama
You should start up a thread that guys in rds 2-5 that you would pound the table for.
Maybe after the deadline date to declare for the draft.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I made a list of players I thought were 1st round locks. Not necessarily in order. Stingley, Corral, Linderbaum, London, and Jameson Williams all have medical questions, though.

Maybe after the deadline date to declare for the draft.
although not disclosed would swear it looked Kayvon Thibodeaux played through something (mcl?) which if later is disclosed Combine/Interviews, would actually be amazing.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I second this thought process. I think he’s going to be mediocre at best or a bust.
I think he's going to light up the combine and be really good as a pro. But his career will be short or he will be a shell of himself after his rookie deal expires.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
My first 4 picks if the Giants take Watson off the Texans hands:

RD1-03: SS- Kyle Hamilton (ND)
RD1-08: OC- Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa) **Giants**
RD2-35: RG- Darian Kinnard (Kentucky)
RD2-37: LG- Jamaree Salyer (Georgia) **Giants**

If I were to miss on Kinnard and Salyer…..I could easily slot G- Kenyon Green (Texas A&M) and Zion Johnson (Boston College) and still not miss a beat.

What the Texans would have is the top DB coming into the draft in quite some time and 3 OL that could make a massive impact on the offense. I’d still re-sign Britt for insurance so Linderbaum can add some additional weight if needed…..he may not need it.