Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

Is Aaron Donald scheme diverse? Not really. He's a 3 tech in a 4-3 under front. Would you pass on him? No, you wouldn't. Take the best player.
With how replaceable the majority, vast majority, of our roster is a players scheme shouldn't even be looked at. Expecally with out coaching staff in the air.

Draft the best players you think are on the board and go from there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

If I were to miss on Kinnard and Salyer…..I could easily slot G- Kenyon Green (Texas A&M) and Zion Johnson (Boston College) and still not miss a beat.
If you want Green, you probably have to take him at #8 and go from there

My first 4 picks if the Giants take Watson off the Texans hands:

RD1-03: SS- Kyle Hamilton (ND)
RD1-08: OC- Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa) **Giants**
RD2-35: RG- Darian Kinnard (Kentucky)
RD2-37: LG- Jamaree Salyer (Georgia) **Giants**

If I were to miss on Kinnard and Salyer…..I could easily slot G- Kenyon Green (Texas A&M) and Zion Johnson (Boston College) and still not miss a beat.

What the Texans would have is the top DB coming into the draft in quite some time and 3 OL that could make a massive impact on the offense. I’d still re-sign Britt for insurance so Linderbaum can add some additional weight if needed…..he may not need it.
I believe Zion Johnson has stated his intention to stay.

If the Texans are able to get additional 1st round picks from WD40 and/or Tunsil i’d love it if they stayed at 3 and took one of the edge rushers or Hamilton. Gain a defensive centerpiece. I would place Hamilton at the top of the list for his ability to be a cheat code for the defense covering up others’ mistakes on the back-end.

Especially if the team gets a defensive minded HC, one of those three difference makers at the top of the draft would go a long way towards the new hire establishing the defense’s identity.

And with the NFL the way it is now heavy on passing, light on allowing contact with QBs, a special talent like Hamilton at safety is worth more value than the position used to hold.

Really warming up to this Ekwonu kid...agressive as hell as a run blocker...good feet
I'm liking Kenyon Green too - has played up and down the line except for C:-
Green is a big, powerful prospect with nimble feet and versatility. The 6-4, 325-pounder lined up at four of the five OL positions in 2021, and is at his best at guard. In pass protection, he has quick feet and can bend and drop his weight before shooting his hands. He has a very firm anchor versus power rushers. When he's uncovered, he looks for work and delivers some de-cleating shots. In the run game, Green rolls his hips on contact and has the ability to wash defenders right down the line. He has the quickness to reach and seal on the backside. He is also very quick to the second level, but will get overaggressive at times and hit the deck. Overall, Green's ability to create a firm pocket should be highly coveted around the league.
(From Daniel Jeremiah)
His overagressiveness will temper as he matures and settles in.
Has a very bright future.

It would appear that after the first day of Senior Bowl practice….Pickett and Strong are going to be coveted as RD1 QB’s. How far that moves them up the draft boards is still to be determined but teams desperate for a QB1 may start strategy discussions as to how they’ll move up to take one of them.

What if...
Jets offer #4, #35, #38 and #69 for Watson, would you do it?
Both of the second round picks are high in the round as is the third round pick.
Personally, I would. It would give Caserio 8 picks in the top 80 in a strong draft and give him a great opportunity to really advance the timeframe for this rebuild.

What if...
Both of the second round picks are high in the round as is the third round pick.
Personally, I would. It would give Caserio 8 picks in the top 80 in a strong draft and give him a great opportunity to really advance the timeframe for this rebuild.
Also, having #3 and #4 overall gives Caserio the luxury of back to back picks and he can take the best QB in the draft with one of them.
He can also trade either of them for more picks.

Really warming up to this Ekwonu kid...agressive as hell as a run blocker...good feet
He is a monster especially in run game but could be a very good pass blocker also. I would give Howard the opportunity at LT but IF Ekwonu drafted, he would be amazing LG who be LT if Howard not what I think. He and Salyer would bring a lot to this line.

What if...
yes but would ask but not hold out long for 2023 round 1 also.

Also, having #3 and #4 overall gives Caserio the luxury of back to back picks and he can take the best QB in the draft with one of them.
He can also trade either of them for more picks.
I would attempt trade to Panthers #3 for 1.6 and Brian Burns who I have rated at 1.31 600 points. 1.4 Hamilton 1.6 Okwonu and I roll another season with Mills.

Is it just me or the Texans lack of clarity on their coaching search taking the wind out of the offseason sails regarding possible draft talk?
not for me. HC should not have much to do with next draft IMO mostly Caserio and probably Lovie and Pep if both still here.

yes but would ask but not hold out long for 2023 round 1 also.
I thought about that, but the idea of jettisoning Watson and be done with this for some high valuable picks in this rebuild would be ideal.
Pushing our luck might turn the Jets off.

I thought about that, but the idea of jettisoning Watson and be done with this for some high valuable picks in this rebuild would be ideal.
Pushing our luck might turn the Jets off.
nah.. Zac Wilson is a disaster, Jets could say no to another round one but not end negotiations. They will know other teams will want DW. Caserio is either a good poker player or not and it's time to find out. It would not be a bluff against the table just trying to pump up the jam. You ask and then play your gut when to take the offer. Heck NYJ could say no to another round one but we will give you a round 2. I don't think Nick has a rep for being greedy so other teams will know he is trying to get a good offer. None should be offended.

What if...

In a heartbeat

Take what you can get vs what you hope to get.

This will never happen

My perfect RD1 (incl trade of Watson) would be DE, Hutchinson (MICH), OG, Green (A&M), and OT, Penning (N IOWA).
My perfect RD1 with your parameters would be,
Evan Neal OT, Treylon Burks WR, Jermaine Johnson II DE
2nd round
Trey McBride TE
3rd round
Kenneth Walker III RB

I say build the O and give Mills everything he could ever want. If he’s the guy they will definitely know at years end and either way, they will have a monster offense going forward. And I still got a premium D player in there and there’s the rest of the draft to continue building.

My perfect RD1 with your parameters would be,
Evan Neal OT, Treylon Burks WR, Jermaine Johnson II DE
2nd round
Trey McBride TE
3rd round
Kenneth Walker III RB

I say build the O and give Mills everything he could ever want. If he’s the guy they will definitely know at years end and either way, they will have a monster offense going forward. And I still got a premium D player in there and there’s the rest of the draft to continue building.

Agreed about fixing the offense. However this draft is much stronger on the defensive side of he ball. IMHO

How are you going to get 2-3 first rd picks, plus a 2nd rd pick and a 3rd rd pick.

I like the guys you picked BTW.

Assuming Lovie becomes HC…

The Texans have a shot at Kyle Hamilton or one of the edge rushers. Who do you suspect Lovie takes? I think he’ll lean edge rusher to be able to generate pressure from his front 4. But a swiss army knife like Hamilton sure could grant his Tampa 2 defense a lot of leeway!

Assuming Lovie becomes HC…

The Texans have a shot at Kyle Hamilton or one of the edge rushers. Who do you suspect Lovie takes? I think he’ll lean edge rusher to be able to generate pressure from his front 4. But a swiss army knife like Hamilton sure could grant his Tampa 2 defense a lot of leeway!
Assuming that we don’t trade back, I agree with you that’ll be edge or Hamilton. Although there’s chatter going around about Thib dropping out of the top 5, I don’t know if I believe it.

Who would you pair Greenard with if we went edge? I’m thinking Hutchinson.

I’d be happy with Hamilton. He’d be a staple in the backfield for years.

There’s still so many unknowns. I’m waiting to see if we’re able to trade DW and what we would get for him.

Assuming that we don’t trade back, I agree with you that’ll be edge or Hamilton. Although there’s chatter going around about Thib dropping out of the top 5, I don’t know if I believe it.

Who would you pair Greenard with if we went edge? I’m thinking Hutchinson.

I’d be happy with Hamilton. He’d be a staple in the backfield for years.

There’s still so many unknowns. I’m waiting to see if we’re able to trade DW and what we would get for him.

If it was me, I fix the OL early in the draft and start looking at guys like Malone and Jesse Luketa as pass rushers later in the draft. My pick at #3 is either Neal or Ekwonu. Both of those guys are badazzez and have higher upsides with less injury issues then either Hutch or Thibs. In fact I like Jermaine Johnson as much as I do Thibs or Hutch.

This yr I'm hoping the draft and FA is focused on fixing the offense and the secondary. Re-sign Martin to rush the passer and draft an edge late. The 2023 draft is deep in edge rushers too.

What I noticed is this draft if you want to draft defense is very good for DT's Jones and Winfrey really impressed me and the LB's.

Last edited:
If it was me, I fix the OL early in the draft and start looking at guys like Malone and Jesse Luketa as pass rushers later in the draft. My pick at #3 is either Neal or Ekwonu. Both of those guys are badazzez and have higher upsides with less injury issues then either Hutch or Thibs. In fact I like Jermaine Johnson as much as I do Thibs or Hutch.

This yr I'm hoping the draft and FA is focused on fixing the offense and the secondary. Re-sign Martin to rush the passer and draft an edge late. The 2023 draft is deep in edge rushers too.

What I noticed is this draft if yo want to draft defense is very good for DT's Jones and Winfrey really impressed me and LB's.

Hopefully like Kubiak, Lovie depends on his scheme to solidify the defense with the day 2/3 picks while the premium picks go to get the best talent on offense. I suspect Lovie could field a competent defense comprised of 3rd round or later draft picks. Like Kubiak managed to put together one of the best OLs in the league with just one first round pick on the unit.

Hopefully like Kubiak, Lovie depends on his scheme to solidify the defense with the day 2/3 picks while the premium picks go to get the best talent on offense. I suspect Lovie could field a competent defense comprised of 3rd round or later draft picks. Like Kubiak managed to put together one of the best OLs in the league with just one first round pick on the unit.

Thanks HOF'er Alex Gibbs. RIP

What I noticed is this draft if yo want to draft defense is very good for DT's Jones and Winfrey really impressed me and LB's.
Either Winfrey or Jones would help stock up our interior and improve our run defense.

I’d be happy with Neal or Ekwonu, but if we trade back Cross is a great technician and Penning has a mean streak. There’s plenty of options if we get the draft capital.

If we were to get 2 of the following our future would be brighter:
- any of those OTs listed above
- Linderbaum
- Hamilton
- Johnson
- Gardner

The current roster of Ol consists of suckage.
In your opinion. I'm not a fan of Scharping, and not a big fan of Britt either. With a full conversion to the ZBS, I can see Morrissey becoming a long time starter at Center. I would still bring in Tyler Linderbaum to compete with him though. Bring in Cordell Volson to compete at one of the OG spots, and Penning to compete at one of the OT spots, and I think our line is fixed. All of that is even with trading Duane Brown, I mean Laremy Tunsil, for more picks. The fewer picks we have to dedicate to rebuilding the whole OLine, the more we can use on other needed positions.

In your opinion. I'm not a fan of Scharping, and not a big fan of Britt either. With a full conversion to the ZBS, I can see Morrissey becoming a long time starter at Center. I would still bring in Tyler Linderbaum to compete with him though. Bring in Cordell Volson to compete at one of the OG spots, and Penning to compete at one of the OT spots, and I think our line is fixed. All of that is even with trading Duane Brown, I mean Laremy Tunsil, for more picks. The fewer picks we have to dedicate to rebuilding the whole OLine, the more we can use on other needed positions.

My opinion is based on the last 2 years of OL play including a 2.0 yds per carry and struggling in pass pro.

We agree on rebuilding the ol but have much different visions of how to do this

I love Linderbaum and Penning, how are you going to get the picks to draft both of them. I see Morrisey as a good backup. Start 3-4 games and do a decent job. But not as a long term answer at center. Don't know much about Volson, I'm going to assume he's a project. If you want the best ol possible for next yr to see how good Mills can become, then keep Tunsil and draft Neal/Salyer. If you want to trade down then do it and Bring Green home in Rd.1.

Last edited:
Either Winfrey or Jones would help stock up our interior and improve our run defense.

I’d be happy with Neal or Ekwonu, but if we trade back Cross is a great technician and Penning has a mean streak. There’s plenty of options if we get the draft capital.

If we were to get 2 of the following our future would be brighter:
- any of those OTs listed above
- Linderbaum
- Hamilton
- Johnson
- Gardner

How are you getting 2 of those guys?

Trading #37 and a future 1st?

My opinion is based on the last 2 years of OL play including a 2.0 yds per carry and struggling in pass pro.

We agree on rebuilding the ol but have much different visions of how to do this

I love Linderbaum and Penning, how are you going to get the picks to draft both of them. I see Morrisey as a good backup. Start 3-4 games and do a decent job. But not as a long term answer at center. Don't know much about Volson, I'm going to assume he's a project. If you want the best ol possible for next yr to see how good Mills can become, then keep Tunsil and draft Neal/Salyer. If you want to trade down then do it and Bring Green home in Rd.1.
Like I said before....Neal doesn't fit in my plan. Kenyon Green doesn't really fit either. I like Green, but he is more a fit for what you want. If we stay with the same offense we've been running for the last few years, Neal and Green would be good fits. However, you would need 3 or 4 Greens to replace the whole interior Oline. By a complete switch to a ZBS, we don't need the big bruisers that you want. Linderbaum wouldn't fit in that scheme either, but he would fit with what I want to do.

None of the OLinemen that we currently have on the roster really fit the scheme we've been running, that's why the OLine has sucked. If we go your way, we have to replace everyone. If we go the way I want, we only have to replace a couple of them. Your way would take a longer, because it is harder to find those guys. My way, we could fix the OLine in this draft.

We just don't see the same end result, so we will never have the same solution.

I just did a Mock featuring the Tunsil trade exclusively to the Bengals. I’d be moving Howard to LT for the 2022 season. I’d be drafting LG- Zion Johnson in RD2, RT- Andrew Stueber in RD3, and RG- Cade Mays in RD4. All 3 guys are road-graders who play their respective spots with a nasty streak and a desire to finish the job.

I’d like to move Scharping to Center as a backup to Morrissey and/or Britt while still serving as a depth piece at other positions on the line. I’ve had a big desire to see the Texans move him to Center. Heck would compete for the starting job at RT and could wind up as a solid ST. The Texans would also have McCray and Taylor as veteran depth pieces.

I just did a Mock featuring the Tunsil trade exclusively to the Bengals. I’d be moving Howard to LT for the 2022 season. I’d be drafting LG- Zion Johnson in RD2, RT- Andrew Stueber in RD3, and RG- Cade Mays in RD4. All 3 guys are road-graders who play their respective spots with a nasty streak and a desire to finish the job.

I’d like to move Scharping to Center as a backup to Morrissey and/or Britt while still serving as a depth piece at other positions on the line. I’ve had a big desire to see the Texans move him to Center. Heck would compete for the starting job at RT and could wind up as a solid ST. The Texans would also have McCray and Taylor as veteran depth pieces.
I don't see McCray and Taylor coming back.

Back