Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

Linderbaum is absolutely terrific at the college level. His wrestling background is evident in his leverage, weight distribution, and hand/footwork.

That said the nfl is a different thing altogether of course, and his size could be problematic or he could transition with little issue. Won't really know until he's in there week in and week out against a constant stream of bigger, faster, stronger guys than he saw in college who also have technique to match his that he very rarely saw at Iowa.

If there are teams that frown at his size I could hardly blame them. If there are teams that feel confident it won't be a problem I completely get why they'd feel that way too. If I were a GM I'd probably ask him how he feels about carrying 5 or so extra pounds and go from there. Should be interesting to see play out.
my thoughts also. good post

while I agree, Linderbaum could be an exception. I cannot make up my mind on him yet. I would only draft him if we had a surplus of draft picks as I think Britt will be back and we have so many needs.
Also, when it comes to drafting an OC high in the 1st round, the drafting team will be solid at the guard positions and tackles. Drafting an OC is usually the final piece in solidifying the o-line.

I'm with you in that Linderbaum may be the exception that doesn't fit a traditional profile, but unless you are already set at the other o-line positions, do you take the chance? The Texans need OG's. Britt can be the veteran on the team and we can draft an OC on the 3rd day, where OC's typically fall.

Reactions: JB
Also, when it comes to drafting an OC high in the 1st round, the drafting team will be solid at the guard positions and tackles. Drafting an OC is usually the final piece in solidifying the o-line.

I'm with you in that Linderbaum may be the exception that doesn't fit a traditional profile, but unless you are already set at the other o-line positions, do you take the chance? The Texans need OG's. Britt can be the veteran on the team and we can draft an OC on the 3rd day, where OC's typically fall.
Usually with a solid vet QB or a rookie sensation like Mahommes or Burrows etc I would not but with Mills I would consider Linderbaum as a possible perfect choice to "guide and settle" DM in a game. For example if Tunsil remains, Nick selects Okwonu at 3, Salyer comes on round 3 for RG I would strongly consider L with another first round received in trade.

Usually with a solid vet QB or a rookie sensation like Mahommes or Burrows etc I would not but with Mills I would consider Linderbaum as a possible perfect choice to "guide and settle" DM in a game. For example if Tunsil remains, Nick selects Okwonu at 3, Salyer comes on round 3 for RG I would strongly consider L with another first round received in trade.
I just don't see the Texans getting that second, high 1st round pick. I don't see a Watson trade as happening this quickly. A Tunsil trade is a remote possibility but where is L projected to go? How probable is it the Texans getting a second 1st round pick high enough? If L were to fall to the bottom of the 1st round, maybe. I don't see him as a Texans first choice, but as a second 1st round selection, then yes, maybe. But I think defense is a higher priority.

But do I think L will be drafted in the 1st round by some team? Yes.

Alright mockers.

Who the hell we gonna draft at RB.

After loading up on OL and E rushers who's gonna tote the rock. I've been unable to snare one.

:coffee:

Linderbaum is absolutely terrific at the college level. His wrestling background is evident in his leverage, weight distribution, and hand/footwork.

That said the nfl is a different thing altogether of course, and his size could be problematic or he could transition with little issue. Won't really know until he's in there week in and week out against a constant stream of bigger, faster, stronger guys than he saw in college who also have technique to match his that he very rarely saw at Iowa.

If there are teams that frown at his size I could hardly blame them. If there are teams that feel confident it won't be a problem I completely get why they'd feel that way too. If I were a GM I'd probably ask him how he feels about carrying 5 or so extra pounds and go from there. Should be interesting to see play out.

Remember people saying Aaron Donald was too short & too small to draft early…..Donald 6-1 285 so I seriously doubt, size will be an issue for Linderbaum. Fact checked his size on PFF, Tyler is 6-3 290.

Last edited:
Remember people saying Aaron Donald was too short & too small to draft early…..

Like I said, I get not being worried about his size due to his skillset. I just happen to also get taking it into consideration.

Not a deal breaker necessarily, just worth noting unless you actually have met the kid and believe fully that he has that extra extra gear to train and work, etc, like an Aaron Donald to overcome that concern.

Linderbaum is the best college center I've seen since Dave Rimington. Rimington was a really good pro but there were better pro centers than him since then. Dwight Stephenson/Dermontti Dawson/Pouncey etc... I think you cant go wrong drafting Linderbaum but is he going to be an all time great who knows.

When it comes to powerhouse football, Iowa doesn't come to mind, nor the Big10 West Division. Iowa has an enrollment of about 36,000, so technically, maybe not.

More than if they're a big school or not they play big school teams regularly.

Alright mockers.

Who the hell we gonna draft at RB.

After loading up on OL and E rushers who's gonna tote the rock. I've been unable to snare one.

This RB class is loaded with value, meaning you can wait and draft one or two 3rd day.

Cook (4th rd.) is a good one from Georgia in style of WR turned RB. Deebo light, very explosive but not your bell cow type. I really like Rachaad White, Arizona State use early 5th on him. Nice Size Power Explosive Back 6-2 210 can do it all. The Big Bell Cow backs (Spiller, Allgeier, Hall) require 3rd and not sure if other major need more pressing, CB/OT/OG/C?

This RB class is loaded with value, meaning you can wait and draft one or two 3rd day.

Cook (4th rd.) is a good one from Georgia in style of WR turned RB. Deebo light, very explosive but not your bell cow type. I really like Rachaad White, Arizona State use early 5th on him. Nice Size Power Explosive Back 6-2 210 can do it all. The Big Bell Cow backs (Spiller, Allgeier, Hall) require 3rd and not sure if other major need more pressing, CB/OT/OG/C?

I liked White. PFN gave White a good review but then Zerlein had this to say - "Running back with size and senior year production, but the tape is more average than exciting. White is a tight-hipped runner lacking desired lateral agility and burst after changing direction. He has a tendency to be slowed or stopped by first-level tacklers but is a more natural runner once he gets up to the second level. He fails to show enough creativity to escape the "gets what is blocked" tag, but he does run with adequate vision. His lack of breakaway speed and limited special teams background won't help his chances, so he needs to shine early in camp to give himself an opportunity to make a team as a RB3."

But I have noticed that Zerlein is hard to impress.

Rebuild will take awhile. :(

I liked White. PFN gave White a good review but then Zerlein had this to say - "Running back with size and senior year production, but the tape is more average than exciting. White is a tight-hipped runner lacking desired lateral agility and burst after changing direction. He has a tendency to be slowed or stopped by first-level tacklers but is a more natural runner once he gets up to the second level. He fails to show enough creativity to escape the "gets what is blocked" tag, but he does run with adequate vision. His lack of breakaway speed and limited special teams background won't help his chances, so he needs to shine early in camp to give himself an opportunity to make a team as a RB3."

But I have noticed that Zerlein is hard to impress.

Rebuild will take awhile. :(

so true. Remember having back and forth with Lance over Ben Tate when he frequented this very board. Obviously he’s moved on to bigger and better things but a position he is very cautious with is RB.

You remember Arian Foster went undrafted. Really hard to evaluate when a 6-2 226 pound guy runs 4.68 forty. But his combination of vision, and game speed in the open along with his size struck fear into opposing defenses.

You remember Arian Foster went undrafted. Really hard to evaluate when a 6-2 226 pound guy runs 4.68 forty. But his combination of vision, and game speed in the open along with his size struck fear into opposing defenses.
And by 2010, Foster has transformed his body and become a different RB altogether. I've tried to explain this to some posters as to why it is more beneficial to bring in younger players vs. older vets. A younger player has a much better chance at improving. 2009 Arian Foster was not worth a 2nd day pick. 2010 Arian Foster was one of the top 50 players in the NFL. He got better. A 4th+ year vet isn't getting much better.

Just a mention, maybe better comp in mold of Arian Foster is Alabama RB Brian Robinson Jr. 6-1 225. Can’t wait to see his combine numbers, and he could vault into a 2nd day pick, given Alabama backs success in NFL.

Just a mention, maybe better comp in mold of Arian Foster is Alabama RB Brian Robinson Jr. 6-1 225. Can’t wait to see his combine numbers, and he could vault into a 2nd day pick, given Alabama backs success in NFL.

I doubt we draft a RB above rd 4. That might even be too high with all our needs.

Using the pfn mock site without all the imaginary trades gives a better idea of what to expect. Won't trade Hamilton for more picks. If he is gone at three then OT/G. We need quality as well as quantity.

I'm expecting a heavy dose of D in the Texans draft. So many needs.

I doubt we draft a RB above rd 4.
Depends on how many picks in the top 3 rounds the Texans end up with.

When Caserio was the Patriots Director of player personnel, they drafted 5 RBs in 13 drafts. 4 of the 5 were in the top 3 rounds. How that correlates to Nick Caserio, Texans GM, remains to be seen.

Depends on how many picks in the top 3 rounds the Texans end up with.

When Caserio was the Patriots Director of player personnel, they drafted 5 RBs in 13 drafts. 4 of the 5 were in the top 3 rounds. How that correlates to Nick Caserio, Texans GM, remains to be seen.

I just feel that drafting a "rated" rb is a luxury pick we can't afford this year. Could be wrong. idonno:
I think Caserio is just as likely to trade up late round picks for a singular higher pick resulting in fewer picks.

Four/five picks max. UDFA mostly this year...again. IMHO Most we can look forward to is extra picks in next draft from a Watson trade.

I think he remarked in the past that he didn't place much value in late round picks?

We'll probably all be wrong come draft day.:D

They play Ohio St./Michigan/Penis St etc... hardly what I would call a small school.
I don’t consider them a small school. I was responding to the quote about Linderbaum and the Texans not having luck with small school prospects, so I was confused. That’s the reason I asked the person if they considered Iowa a small school.

I just feel that drafting a "rated" rb is a luxury pick we can't afford this year. Could be wrong. idonno:
Caserio spent $8 million on 30 year old RBs, last season. I don't think a $1 million cap hit this season on a 3rd round RB should be considered a luxury pick.

Caserio spent $8 million on 30 year old RBs, last season. I don't think a $1 million cap hit this season on a 3rd round RB should be considered a luxury pick.

I never think cap cost makes a luxury pick. I am speaking solely of draft position, need.
Drafting a qb high in this draft would be a luxury. This draft, more than ever to me, is where needs must play a dominant role.
Sure, we need a bell cow running back, but we need OL and DL more, even WR to a point.

We obviously have a differing opinion of what a luxury pick is. No problem with that.

I never think cap cost makes a luxury pick. I am speaking solely of draft position, need.
Drafting a qb high in this draft would be a luxury. This draft, more than ever to me, is where needs must play a dominant role.
Sure, we need a bell cow running back, but we need OL and DL more, even WR to a point.

We obviously have a differing opinion of what a luxury pick is. No problem with that.

Agreed, this is why I want Lovie to add a RB or 2 in FA and draft a RB later to develop over the next couple of yrs.

Agreed, this is why I want Lovie to add a RB or 2 in FA and draft a RB later to develop over the next couple of yrs.

RB is one position you can plug and play as rookies. Generally 3-6 years they peak (except for great ones of course) then tread is worn down and injury’s accumulate. This is why it’s good idea to draft them, however they stack on your board over band-aid free agent signings, as a rule of thumb.

Of course I admit being damaged and scared when the Texans big off season free agent signing was former Green Bay Packer, Ahmen Green, in 2007. He must have worn all the rubber of his tires in Green Bay (is he still there all time leading rusher?) anyway point is draft them or get them very early in career.

RB is one position you can plug and play as rookies. Generally 3-6 years they peak (except for great ones of course) then tread is worn down and injury’s accumulate. This is why it’s good idea to draft them, however they stack on your board over band-aid free agent signings, as a rule of thumb.

Of course I admit being damaged and scared when the Texans big off season free agent signing was former Green Bay Packer, Ahmen Green, in 2007. He must have worn all the rubber of his tires in Green Bay (is he still there all time leading rusher?) anyway point is draft them or get them very early in career.

Yep, this is my philosophy when it comes to RB's. If you dont have one get 1 in FA hopefully a young guy like Wilson or Mack and draft one later in the draft and hope you hit on a Mitchell type guy.

I believe in the Lil Shanny philosophy when it come to the RB position.

I will put this in the A&E Draft thoughts page later. But I just got through watching Kyler Gordon a bit ago. I like him alot. Even though I love Pickens at 2-37, I'm thinking Gordon would be my pick. Fast, athletic and has great ball skills. Only thing is I'm sure he will bust because I cant eval CB's. I would love to get your thoughts on Gordon.

Well you know, he gets talked up on Chargers board too. Very gifted athletically with coveted size but not an instinctive ballhawk.
Roger McCreary should be our guy. He is a ball hawk, sound fundamentals, and competitive with every rep. So what he will kick inside, slot CB has real value. Really lov his attitude and Demeanor, Texan Worthy :logo:

Well you know, he gets talked up on Chargers board too. Very gifted athletically with coveted size but not an instinctive ballhawk.
Roger McCreary should be our guy. He is a ball hawk, sound fundamentals, and competitive with every rep. So what he will kick inside, slot CB has real value. Really lov his attitude and Demeanor, Texan Worthy :logo:

The Calhoun's already have one of the best slot CB's in the NFL in Thomas. I'm not sure McCreary can play outside. Another Guy I really like in the 3rd is Woolen. Big tall rangy guy and probably the fastest guy in the draft. (Other than probably Calvin Austin) Only played CB 2 yrs and is just scratching the surface of his talent. IMHO

I’ve read up on Woolen, interesting developmental DB for sure, but I thought we’re discussing pick #37 taking a CB?

you can probably have your choice of either, I’m just saying Lovie and Dino are gonna fall in love with McCreary. Undersized but polished and works hard at his craft.

I’ve read up on Woolen, interesting developmental DB for sure, but I thought we’re discussing pick #37 taking a CB?

you can probably have your choice of either, I’m just saying Lovie and Dino are gonna fall in love with McCreary. Undersized but polished and works hard at his craft.

I was discussing CB's in general Woolen in particular, because I'm so bad at evaluating CB's. I wasn't advocating for Woolen at #37. I was just asking for your thoughts on Woolen because I know you're good at evaluating CB's.

I was discussing CB's in general Woolen in particular, because I'm so bad at evaluating CB's. I wasn't advocating for Woolen at #37. I was just asking for your thoughts on Woolen because I know you're good at evaluating CB's.

Full disclosure, I’ve never watched a UTSA game. These smaller schools can produce elite talent nevertheless. His highlights are intriguing, kick it over to regional scout. From little I see, don’t have his numbers (completion % takeaways, run grades) most definitely NFL frame, fluid hips, physical, possibly good ball skills (need to see more). Having said that, doubt he climbs to second round, maybe end of 3rd?

#37 will be between Kyler Gordon or Roger McCreary.

The best corner Lovie ever had was a big, physical guy named Peanut Tillman. I can see Lovie pounding the table for a guy like Woolen. Joshua Williams out of Fayetteville State (6'2" 32" arms) is another guy that could intrigue Lovie.

Wonder if he falls in love with Derek Stingley Jr. @ the Combine if he runs/jumps out of the gym and use that #3 overall pick on him?

Last edited:
Like Cook a lot but more as receiver out of the backfield.

Was big supporter of Foreman coming out of Texas. Showed his explosiveness then got hurt. Riddled with injury concerns over career.

Burkhead will be a RB coach someday, sooner than later.

Tariq Woolen, CB, Texas-San Antonio

Tariq Woolen will undoubtedly catch some eyes with that NFL-ready frame. The 6-foot-3 converted wide receiver has two interceptions and nine pass deflections through two seasons at corner. The former three-star receiver had 24 catches for 263 yards and one touchdown before switching. Woolen has shown steady growth and has all the intangibles teams should be looking for later in the draft. Detroit’s coaching staff has been working with Woolen down in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, so it’ll be interesting to see if this intriguing prospect caught their eye. Bruce Feldman of The Athletic had Woolen ranked sixth on his annual “Freaks List.” Woolen is alleged to have run a 4.3-second 40-yard dash, which is ridiculous at any size. He was also credited with hitting 23.33 mph on GPS trackers.

Like Cook a lot but more as receiver out of the backfield.

Was big supporter of Foreman coming out of Texas. Showed his explosiveness then got hurt. Riddled with injury concerns over career.

Burkhead will be a RB coach someday, sooner than later.
Cook is better between the tackles than given credit for. His explosion and wiggle is next level. He can hold 200 lbs. He can be a 1800 yd from scrimmage guy. I'm talking 1100 yds rushing and 700 yds receiving type of dude. Similar, but more explosive than Eckler

Back