Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

Just got through watching some Kalon Barnes/J.T. Woods highlights.

I'm liking these guys and if they fell to the 5th/6th rd I would pick both of them even if I had to trade up into the 5th to get one of them.

Adds great speed that's been missing for yrs to the backend. I think Barnes would fit well into Lovies secondary.

At worst you get 2 elite ST's contributors.

Listened to Lovie's presser, and he seems pretty jazzed for the d-linemen. I looked back over the drafts when Lovie was HC. In those 11 years, the organizations only took 2 defensive players in the 1st round. Both D-linemen.

Nick Caserio may be like minded. Over the last decade of Caserio's tenure as the Patriots Director of player personnel, they took 3 D-linemen with 3 of their 8 total picks. Something to think about when you run your draft simulations.

Listened to Lovie's presser, and he seems pretty jazzed for the d-linemen. I looked back over the drafts when Lovie was HC. In those 11 years, the organizations only took 2 defensive players in the 1st round. Both D-linemen.

Nick Caserio may be like minded. Over the last decade of Caserio's tenure as the Patriots Director of player personnel, they took 3 D-linemen with 3 of their 8 total picks. Something to think about when you run your draft simulations.

Interesting to note that in Lovie’s first year with the Bears (2004) they drafted DT with their first two picks. The first one a stud DT Tommie Harris who played the Warren Sapp 3 technique role well. The second a talented but troubled player named Tank Johnson who didn’t amount to much due to his legal troubles.

Lovie really did focus on defense. I was thinking "How can you not notice the elephant in the room .... even when he's standing on your foot"? Then I realized .... just because he says what he means, doesn't mean he intends to reveal his plans to other teams !

The more I look at this year’s class it makes me more convinced that OL is the 1st round pick. The depth on defense along with Lovie’s system leads me to think we need to grab Neal or Ekwonu if we stay at 3. Green, Linderbaum or Penning if we move down.

I want two OLs out of this draft and I want them to be a sizeable upgrade. No late round maybe a swing tackle project. Set it and forget it lets get ready to play some smashmouth football!

I’m thinking that is pick 3 and 68. Go BPA the rest of the way.

But EX:

3) Neal or Ekwonu

68) Tyler Smith, Kinnard, Salyer or Cole Strange

Get two of those OL and the line will be much improved and ready to run the ball.

The more I look at this year’s class it makes me more convinced that OL is the 1st round pick. The depth on defense along with Lovie’s system leads me to think we need to grab Neal or Ekwonu if we stay at 3. Green, Linderbaum or Penning if we move down.

I want two OLs out of this draft and I want them to be a sizeable upgrade. No late round maybe a swing tackle project. Set it and forget it lets get ready to play some smashmouth football!

But EX:

3) Neal or Ekwonu

Get two of those OL and the line will be much improved and ready to run the ball.
Just don't forget that our new HC is also the DC so his 2cents is gonna be significant when he weighs in on who his priorities are for those top picks, and of course I'm talking defense.
But agree with your observation about the Oline talent because this Draft is somewhat reminsent of the 2013 Draft when 2 OTs went 1 & 2 and there was like a half dozen Oline players picked in the first round. Couple of good ones but nobody there who reminded anybody of Orlando Pace or Tony Basseli, and there was also a couple of real Oline busts in that Draft. So tread carefully Mr Caserio !
OK so if I'm Caserio I approach the Giants: offer them my first round pick & one of our thirds for their #5 overall & their second rounder, because everybody is gonna be wanting to trade back so that #3 overall won't fetch what it usually might in the absense of a real strong Draft.

But EX:

3) Neal or Ekwonu

I like your thinking, but if Kyle Hamilton is on the board at #3, he will be a Texan. And that will be the best move for this team. Having a stud in the backfield will make a huge difference for our D.
The next couple of picks can still be upgrades on the Oline.

I like Hamilton but just can’t get behind spending the #3 overall pick on safety position. Too many holes, need to build the trenches to protect franchise and run the rock. Will be Offensive Limeman, whichever Jacksonville passes on?

I like your thinking, but if Kyle Hamilton is on the board at #3, he will be a Texan. And that will be the best move for this team. Having a stud in the backfield will make a huge difference for our D.

I have been on team Hamilton and still think he’s BPA. But there has to be a balance with need relative to depth of draft class. And also take into account where the expertise of the coaching staff lies (Lovie has proven he can get more out of lesser talented players).

The dropoff with OL talent is much greater than other positions.

And I don’t care if we find an “upgrade” over Max Scharping and Tytus Howard. I want quality plus starters on the OL that every other team would wish they had.

Don’t discount the Warhop affect, new OL coach for Texans. Know he will beat the table for Neal or Ekwonu, and TheRealJocker is right, after these two tackles then Cross it’s a huge drop off. If George can reach Tunsil and sell him on remaining LT for Texans that would be ideal for these tackles to develop NFL toolbox, so when time does come for Tunsil to leave, you already have your franchise tackle on this roster.

I have been on team Hamilton and still think he’s BPA. But there has to be a balance with need relative to depth of draft class. And also take into account where the expertise of the coaching staff lies (Lovie has proven he can get more out of lesser talented players).

The dropoff with OL talent is much greater than other positions.

And I don’t care if we find an “upgrade” over Max Scharping and Tytus Howard. I want quality plus starters on the OL that every other team would wish they had.

Just gotta make the commitment to fix the OL is there. So far, not so good.

Don’t discount the Warhop affect, new OL coach for Texans. Know he will beat the table for Neal or Ekwonu, and TheRealJocker is right, after these two tackles then Cross it’s a huge drop off. If George can reach Tunsil and sell him on remaining LT for Texans that would be ideal for these tackles to develop NFL toolbox, so when time does come for Tunsil to leave, you already have your franchise tackle on this roster.

Gotta a would you question

If a team say was picking at 75 and offered you 75 and 140 plus a 2023 2nd for 37 would you take the that deal?

In Lovie’s combine press conference he mentioned that they are looking for 6 ft plus CBs who can tackle in run support. Good insight to consider who they may be picking.

Coby Bryant and Mario Goodrich seem like excellent fits in that 3rd-4th round range. Both could step in and be starting this season. If they pick a CB at 37 i’d have my eye on Kyler Gordon who is the prototype size/weight/speed/temperment imo. Will probably have to trade back into first round for Gordon after he tests though.

A later round target I would like is Zyon Mccolum from Sam Houston State.

Gotta a would you question

If a team say was picking at 75 and offered you 75 and 140 plus a 2023 2nd for 37 would you take the that deal?

Ask me yesterday, would have said yes, ask me today, would say no, that is if Skyy Moore is available. It’s almost as important as offensive tackle for him (Mills) to get a dynamic WR like Skyy. He is a no nonsense, football player. Between him and Linderbaum I feel are two of the highest floor, and ceiling players you could hang your Texan hat on next 10-15 years. Need to identify RB next…..

They are gonna have to sort out their priorities because if Cross is the best pass-pro LT in the Draft but the Texans have him rated overall several notches below Neal & Ekwonu and no trade available, what to do, what to compromise ?

They are gonna have to sort out their priorities because if Cross is the best pass-pro LT in the Draft but the Texans have him rated overall several notches below Neal & Ekwonu and no trade available, what to do, what to compromise ?

Depends on what kind of LT you're looking for, Neal is the best at both overall

Although Ekwonu is probably a slightly better run blocker an Cross is slightly better in pass pro.

I consider Tunsil a one-year rental @ this point, his dead money hit in 2022 is 7.5 vs 8.7 mil in cap savings, a wash. Could start Cross RT for one year then move him over. Don't think Texans would go terribly wrong with any of the big three tackles. If Nick can trade down but misses on these tackles, any position is fair game long as BPA.

I consider Tunsil a one-year rental @ this point, his dead money hit in 2022 is 7.5 vs 8.7 mil in cap savings, a wash. Could start Cross RT for one year then move him over. Don't think Texans would go terribly wrong with any of the big three tackles. If Nick can trade down but misses on these tackles, any position is fair game long as BPA.

This is why I've wanted Caserio to draft Neal.

I've either read or heard, forget which, a comment by the Texans that the interior OL is a necessity for the power run game they want. I haven't heard or read a word about the OT's. My feeling is that the interior is on their radar and not so much the tackles.

Don’t discount the Warhop affect, new OL coach for Texans. Know he will beat the table for Neal or Ekwonu, and TheRealJocker is right, after these two tackles then Cross it’s a huge drop off.
What if the Texans think Tytus & Heck are our tackles & think our drop off at guard is where we need to focus.

Just imagine if that was their thinking.

I could see them grabbing Hamilton & two guards in the 2nd

What if the Texans think Tytus & Heck are our tackles & think our drop off at guard is where we need to focus.

which two guards? Zion & Green gone. Heck in that nightmare scenario give me Linderbaum maybe he can tie them two together :hothboy:

Let’s see, first your saying Tytus Howard is your starting LT and Charlie Heck starting RT? So you want more big slow guys inside or smaller faster ones inside to make up ground?

lots of good guard prospects, some of them tackles you could kick inside I’m just very confused on the build or what they are looking at because that makes no sense to me.

Just don't forget that our new HC is also the DC so his 2cents is gonna be significant when he weighs in on who his priorities are for those top picks, and of course I'm talking defense.
But agree with your observation about the Oline talent because this Draft is somewhat reminsent of the 2013 Draft when 2 OTs went 1 & 2 and there was like a half dozen Oline players picked in the first round. Couple of good ones but nobody there who reminded anybody of Orlando Pace or Tony Basseli, and there was also a couple of real Oline busts in that Draft. So tread carefully Mr Caserio !
OK so if I'm Caserio I approach the Giants: offer them my first round pick & one of our thirds for their #5 overall & their second rounder, because everybody is gonna be wanting to trade back so that #3 overall won't fetch what it usually might in the absense of a real strong Draft.
Just to clarify you don't think this is a strong draft?

So you want more big slow guys inside or smaller faster ones inside to make up ground
Well, I didn't think of Howard or Heck as "big slow guys"

& I wasn't aware Warhop valued "smaller faster" guys.

I'm just wondering if they don't see our tackle position as void of talent as "we" do.

Heck, they might be higher on the entire OL than we are, attributing their failure in 2021 to Kelly & Culley

Dax Hill , Lewis Cine , Baylor's Pitre and Jaquan Brisker are safeties who should be studs from round 2. There are no serious upgrades after round one for oline and maybe not after mid 20s.

Salyer may be an exception but is dropping in rankings. I think we are fortunate that we have a top three that could still bring us excellent selections even in a trade down. This could be the perfect draft for the Houston Texans even without any trades.

Question, if our offense is being set up as to run and protect Mills wouldn’t a LT run blocker who needs to increase PB skills be better to draft than a pass blocker who needs to increase run blocking?

I've either read or heard, forget which, a comment by the Texans that the interior OL is a necessity for the power run game they want. I haven't heard or read a word about the OT's. My feeling is that the interior is on their radar and not so much the tackles.
This has been my view for a bit. Based upon limited information but that information seemingly pretty strong that Howard and Heck can be our tackles. Most here seem to agree that Tunsil should bring at minimum a late round 1. That could bring LG Kenyon Green who would definitely strengthen tytus Howard at left tackle.

As I have mentioned there are several safeties of good quality available in round two so a trade down from 3 could bring us a high-quality player and one or two second Rounders.

Example 1.3 to Denver for 9 + 40 + 64.

1.9 CB Ahmad Gardner, CB McDuffie or edge Ojabo.

Or another trade down.

2.37 S/CB Daxton Hill or WR TREYLON Burks

2.40 CB Roger McCreary or Edge Jermaine Johnson or DE/DT Cameron Thomas.

2.64 RBs Walker or Breece Hall.

3.68 LB Damone Clark
4.130 OC/OG Luke Fortner.

That's without anything for DW.

In Lovie’s combine press conference he mentioned that they are looking for 6 ft plus CBs who can tackle in run support. Good insight to consider who they may be picking.

Coby Bryant and Mario Goodrich seem like excellent fits in that 3rd-4th round range. Both could step in and be starting this season. If they pick a CB at 37 i’d have my eye on Kyler Gordon who is the prototype size/weight/speed/temperment imo. Will probably have to trade back into first round for Gordon after he tests though.

A later round target I would like is Zyon Mccolum from Sam Houston State.
While it is good insight, I think that they’re limiting themselves because of the height. I’d beat the table for McDuffie or McCreary if they were on the board when I was picking.

Minnesota offensive lineman Daniel Faalele is gargantuan............6-foot-8 and 384 pounds at the Scouting Combine.
Hand..............11 inches
Arm................35 1/8
Wingspan........85 1/8

1646427953207.png

More info on Faalele:
Gargantuan OT prospect Daniel Faalele heavier than any NFL player at 384 pounds
Published: Mar 04, 2022 at 02:31 PM

This is the type of player I would love to see us take in a later round if he is available..........seems like he could successfully be used uniquely by a creative mind.

I think Neal is a guard like Alex Boone and Kevin Gogan

We disagree on Neal then.

Neal is much bigger and more athletic than the guys you listed. Go checkout some of the athletice things like the box jump Neal does. It's pretty incredible that a man that size can do that. Although I'm sure Neal could play OG (He's played it in the past in college) and probably be an all pro there.

I am very interested in the possibility of Christian Watson joining the Texans. Not just to get another quality target for Mills but because it would help improve the run game.

Having two big physical WRs like Collins and Watson run blocking downfield would go a long way toward breaking those 8-10 yard gash plays into 50+ yard td game changing plays. Watson is my pick of the big WR prospects because of his experience in a run heavy offense:

I am very interested in the possibility of Christian Watson joining the Texans. Not just to get another quality target for Mills but because it would help improve the run game.

Having two big physical WRs like Collins and Watson run blocking downfield would go a long way toward breaking those 8-10 yard gash plays into 50+ yard td game changing plays. Watson is my pick of the big WR prospects because of his experience in a run heavy offense:

Would love it if we drafted him!

Gonna have to pick him at #37 if he's not already gone.

BTW, I didn't see Salyers testing results.

Does anyone else think that Green might drop out of 1st Rd contention based on his combine performance? I think it’s a distinct possibility. I think Zion Johnson jumped him on the draft board.
His OG game tape is still impressive and may keep him in 1st round. What is in the Texans favor is that they may have the opportunity to trade back further and still get one of the two.

Back