Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

Every owner reserves that right to take away the decision of his GM…and most all of them have done it at 1 point or another. Fans just get upset & want owners to be all hands on when they want them to be and hands off when they want….and most of them dont live and die with the team like we do. The 1 owner who does (Jones) gets criticized relentlessly too.

So you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t. But it’s silly as hell for fans to criticize the guy for making a “safe” pick.
I understand that safety Kyle Hamilton is considered the safe pick and assume that he will be our starting safety going forward.

I understand that safety Kyle Hamilton is considered the safe pick and assume that he will be our starting safety going forward.
I think it was an incorrect decision to move my post to this particular thread by moderator but I am not going to try to argue about it other than to say I was not referring to it as draft information but just paralleling it to making safe Decisions by the Texans.

I’d hate to trade away any assets over the next 3 drafts during this rebuild process. This draft is deep and there will be some good athletes in RD6 and RD7 that could help “at minimum” fill out the depth chart.

If the #3 pick offers a choice of DE- Thibodeaux or SS- Hamilton…..it’s all day every day Hamilton for me. Thibs isn’t a “generational” type of player and unfortunately reminds me more of a Clowney risk…..not to mention, his every down motor is sporadic in effort.

LT- Neal (Bama) could also be in the mix since it looks as though Ekwonu (NC State) may have surpassed him in the LT rankings. This would be a much tougher decision b/c of the Texans needs if they’ve moved Tunsil. My guess, new HC Lovie Smith might want Hamilton to get his defense a much needed talent.

In 2019 and 2020, the combine invitee list was released on February 7th. But, that was the week after the Super Bowl. With the extra week this season, the NFL may delay the release to next eeek. Or maybe Friday. Something to look for.

With the hiring of Warhop and Hal Hunter as OL coaches and Lovie making it clear he wants a strong power run game in his press conference I am interested to see what they do with their 1st round pick.

Do they take a premier defensive player or premier nasty OL (Neal/Ekwonu). Trade down for more assets obviously makes it an easier decision but you need a trade partner.

If the Texans can add two nasty sobs to the OL and then add 1-2 RBs that can break tackles I think the running game will be well on its way.

But Lovie’s defense also needs a premiere edge rusher and a generational talent at safety. Decisions decisions.

If I had to pick I would say shore up the OL with Neal or Ikem first. I know Lovie will get the most out of the talent on defense. But I am not as confident that the OL will be operating to its fullest potential unless they get blue chip talent.

I'm noticing some big changes in the top 100 boards for offensive linemen. Perhaps the biggest jump has been by OT/OG Ikem Ekwonu who on most boards is now in the top 10, and on a few boards has jumped ahead of Evan Neal.

Also moving into the top 10 on many boards is OT Charles Cross.

Kenyon Green this past year had playing time all across the offensive line, and as a result his game grades suffered a little bit. On the boards he's slipped into the third quarter of the 1st round.

Darian Kinnard has also slipped a little to the bottom half of the 2nd round, although I'm still seeing him at the top of the 2nd round on a few boards

OT Nichoolas Petit-Frere, OT/OG Zion Johnson, OT Bernhard Raimann, OT Trevor Penning and OT Daniel Faalele are all OL'men which have moved into the 2nd round on many boards.

I'm thinking this could work in the Texans favor, allowing Caserio to trade down maybe multiple times, while still picking up Kenyon Green later in the round. If we could pick up a high second for our #1/3 pick, we could use our own second round pick on a defensive player, while still picking up Kinnard with the other pick. Or we could use one of the twos to trade down again.

I haven't moved from my position of drafting offensive line in the first two rounds, and updating my profiles today, I'm still liking Green and Kinnard.

One thing that has changed in my thinking, most of the OC's are undersized for a power run game or inside ZBS. The highest rated OC with size is ranked about #4 for the position. This is Arizona's Dohnovan West, 6'-3" and 315 lbs. His profile reads that he has "impressive movement ability", "can get out and pull and gets to the second level" and finally " holds up well in both the run game and passing game".

With the inside ZBS, OC's help out the guards with chip blocks but then pull out to the second level on the LB's.

West may be available in the 6th round.

It looks like RB's are dropping. One updated board had no RB ranked in the 1st round and only 1 RB ranked in the 2nd round. Another board had 1 RB ranked in the 1st round and 3 ranked in the 2nd round.

The Texans will have the opportunity to take a RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

WR's will be hot in the 1st round. Two boards each had 6 being ranked in the 1st; but then tail off in the 2nd. Both boards had only 3 WR's ranked in the 2nd.

So for the 3rd round the Texans could go for skill positions; or this could be the round to go defensive.

Last edited:
Every year the draft seems more consequential than the last and this year is no exception.
The case for this go round is that some QBs taken last year may be a little disappointing and some high profile QBs have retired this past season.
Also, a few teams, including Texans, Lions and Jaguars, have some serious talent issues.
Also take into account that this is a quality draft - albeit not so much for QBs, and you have a recipe for lots of activity in this draft - and also in free agency.
There are going to be some very good players slide down the board a bit into the latter part of the first round so this is the year to trade back - moreso if you can acquire a couple of first round picks in this one.
An extra second round pick will also be very valuable as you can trade back into the first and pick up another fifth year option.
Three players from the first will add three quality prospects and inject some fresh young blood into a talent deficient team.
There will also be some excellent talent deep into the second round round so if a savvy GM can add seconds to his tally, there should be a plethora of talent he can add to his team.
Texans have a rare opportunity in this draft to acquire a lot of great talent if they can move Watson for even a reasonable draft haul plus having the #3 overall pick with which to trade.
I can't wait to see what Caserio does moving forward - I think he is smart enough not to mess this up.

I'm noticing some big changes in the top 100 boards for offensive linemen. Perhaps the biggest jump has been by OT/OG Ikem Ekwonu who on most boards is now in the top 10, and on a few boards has jumped ahead of Evan Neal.

Kenyon Green this past year had playing time all across the offensive line, and as a result his game grades suffered a little bit. On the boards he's slipped into the third quarter of the 1st round.

Darian Kinnard has also slipped a little to the bottom half of the 2nd round, although I'm still seeing him at the top of the 2nd round on a few boards

OT Nichoolas Petit-Frere, OT/OG Zion Johnson, OT Bernhard Raimann, OT Trevor Penning and OT Daniel Faalele are all OL'men which have moved into the 2nd round on many boards.

I'm thinking this could work in the Texans favor, allowing Caserio to trade down maybe multiple times, while still picking up Kenyon Green later in the round. If we could pick up a high second for our #1/3 pick, we could use our own second round pick on a defensive player, while still picking up Kinnard with the other pick. Or we could use one of the twos to trade down again.

I haven't moved from my position of drafting offensive line in the first two rounds, and updating my profiles today, I'm still liking Green and Kinnard.

One thing that has changed in my thinking, most of the OC's are undersized for a power run game or inside ZBS. The highest rated OC with size is ranked about #4 for the position. This is Arizona's Dohnovan West, 6'-3" and 315 lbs. His profile reads that he has "impressive movement ability", "can get out and pull and gets to the second level" and finally " holds up well in both the run game and passing game".

With the inside ZBS, OC's help out the guards with chip blocks but then pull out to the second level on the LB's.

It looks like RB's are dropping. One updated board had no RB ranked in the 1st round and only 1 RB ranked in the 2nd round. Another board had 1 RB ranked in the 1st round and 3 ranked in the 2nd round.

WR's will be hot in the 1st round. Two boards each had 6 being ranked in the 1st; but then tail off in the 2nd. Both boards had only 3 WR's ranked in the 2nd.

So for the 3rd round the Texans could go for skill positions; or this could be the round to go defensive.
Pretty much my thoughts too - see post below yours.
WRs are well represented and some very good ones will be there in the second.
RBs are also well represented - just no big names like we have seen in the past but good nontheless. Just need to build the Oline like you suggested and most can be serviceable.

Every year the draft seems more consequential than the last and this year is no exception.
The case for this go round is that some QBs taken last year may be a little disappointing and some high profile QBs have retired this past season.
Also, a few teams, including Texans, Lions and Jaguars, have some serious talent issues.
Also take into account that this is a quality draft - albeit not so much for QBs, and you have a recipe for lots of activity in this draft - and also in free agency.
There are going to be some very good players slide down the board a bit into the latter part of the first round so this is the year to trade back - moreso if you can acquire a couple of first round picks in this one.
An extra second round pick will also be very valuable as you can trade back into the first and pick up another fifth year option.
Three players from the first will add three quality prospects and inject some fresh young blood into a talent deficient team.
There will also be some excellent talent deep into the second round round so if a savvy GM can add seconds to his tally, there should be a plethora of talent he can add to his team.
Texans have a rare opportunity in this draft to acquire a lot of great talent if they can move Watson for even a reasonable draft haul plus having the #3 overall pick with which to trade.
I can't wait to see what Caserio does moving forward - I think he is smart enough not to mess this up.

To get these extra picks for the 2022 NFL Draft exclusively in RD1 and RD2….not including thoughts on the returns later in 2022 draft or in the 2023 or 2024 drafts. The following would be the best hope:

Watson- RD1 & RD2
Tunsil- RD1
Cooks- RD2
RD1-03: RD1 & RD2

The opportunity to add 6 players from the top 64 could be massive first step in the rebuild.

To get these extra picks for the 2022 NFL Draft exclusively in RD1 and RD2….not including thoughts on the returns later in 2022 draft or in the 2023 or 2024 drafts. The following would be the best hope:

Watson- RD1 & RD2
Tunsil- RD1
Cooks- RD2
RD1-03: RD1 & RD2

The opportunity to add 6 players from the top 64 could be massive first step in the rebuild.
I think it all comes down to Caserios rebuilding philosophy which can change with circumstances. For example, with a paucity of picks last year, he had no choice but to delve heavily into FA.
This year if no trades happen before they are on the clock, he won't have to rely as heavily on FA as he will have an extra 1st, 2nd and 3rd to work with.
Now if he gets another 1st and 2nd due to a trade, that will obviously give him more to work with in the draft and won't need to hunt for as many FAs.
The hunt for quality FAs will continue regardless to add known quantities that will suit Lovies gameplay philosophy and leadership.
Still, I think he may use picks to trade with in FA, if there is a trade that adds picks to 2023 as well.
Caserio has a full playbook moving forward so will be interesting to follow.

You guys surely must know that if Caserio drafts any OT ahead of Evan Neal we are gonna have to all kick-in to get SteelB some pro counciling 'cause he'll be very seriously pizzed-off.

I think it all comes down to Caserios rebuilding philosophy which can change with circumstances. For example, with a paucity of picks last year, he had no choice but to delve heavily into FA.
This year if no trades happen before they are on the clock, he won't have to rely as heavily on FA as he will have an extra 1st, 2nd and 3rd to work with.
Until he has a core, I think more FAs than rookies who don't know what they don't know makes the most sense.

Not to say he's going to shy away from 1st & 2nd day picks, but definitely 6th, 7th, & UDFAs.

Last edited:
Until he has a core, I think more FAs than rookies who don't know what they know makes the most sense.

Not to say he's going to shy away from 1st & 2nd day picks, but definitely 6th, 7th, & UDFAs.
Where is Nick going to get the cap space to sign those FAs?

$18 million under the cap.
$15 million to sign the draft picks they currently have.
No Watson trade on the horizon to free up $$$ for free agency.
No more bloated vet contracts to extend.

Where is the cap space coming from for another round of Caserio free agent bargain bin bonanza?

Until he has a core, I think more FAs than rookies who don't know what they know makes the most sense.

I was actually quite impressed with what he did in his first draft. He didn’t have a draft with a lot of capital, but every single player he did draft contributed. I’m very interested to see what he does with more capital.

He didn’t have a draft with a lot of capital, but every single player he did draft contributed.
Was that because they were any good? Or they ran out of warm bodies?

I like that they targeted players & went & got them. I don't like that we ended up with less future picks than what we started with.

Player selection... taking the QB early turned me off & I haven't come around on the others yet.

You guys surely must know that if Caserio drafts any OT ahead of Evan Neal we are gonna have to all kick-in to get SteelB some pro counciling 'cause he'll be very seriously pizzed-off.

Nah, I wouldn't have an issue with Cross if Tunsil is traded or Ikwonu.

I've just got Neal rated #1, but these other guys are really good too.

Where is Nick going to get the cap space to sign those FAs?

$18 million under the cap.
$15 million to sign the draft picks they currently have.
No Watson trade on the horizon to free up $$$ for free agency.
No more bloated vet contracts to extend.

Where is the cap space coming from for another round of Caserio free agent bargain bin bonanza?

11 mil right off the bat by cutting Cannon and Murray. There will be more cuts made that will probably save another 8-10 mil in addition to the Cannon/Murray cuts. I'm hoping he can find a couple of more guys like Thomas/KGH in FA. Then add 4-5 playmakers through the draft and the rebuild will be well under way. For instance if you had to not bring 1 back would you let Mitchell or King cut/walk?

Nah, I wouldn't have an issue with Cross if Tunsil is traded or Ikwonu.

I've just got Neal rated #1, but these other guys are really good too.
Well you know you've been ponding the table pretty hard for the 'Bama tackle, so if Caserio drafts Ikwonu, or Cross, or any other OT before Neal then I won't have to worry about you being seriously upset about it ?

There will be more cuts made that will probably save another 8-10 mil in addition to the Cannon/Murray cuts.
For instance if you had to not bring 1 back would you let Mitchell or King cut/walk?
King is a FA. But, I could (and would) cut these players and save an additional $20 million to the cuts you mentioned.

Player and Savings

Kevin Pierre-Louis - $3.15 million
Terrance Mitchell - $3.16 million
Jordan Jenkins - $2.82 million
Max Scharping - $2.54 million
Justin McCray - $2.30 million
Jimmy Moreland - $2.54 million
Lonnie Johnson Jr. - $1.20 million
Derek Rivers - $1.15 million
Phillip Dorsett - $938K

Great. Collectively, we've opened up $30 million of cap space. But also 11 roster spots. And the Texans would only have 34 guys left on the roster that are signed. So that's about $47 million to fill out the rest of the roster, including signing your rookies. Sure, Nick can sign a handful of guys with decent ($4 - $5 mil/AAV) contracts. But the overwhelming majority of the signings will have to be vet minimums and UDFAs. Caserio won't be able to repeat the free agent frenzy from 2021.

Practically, all of the signings that were to build culture in the locker room will be flushed. 2021 was a wasted year, in time, money, and any other criteria you want to address. And Cal spent $6 million on a GM for that? If there's one aspect of this team that absolutely needs to be improved in 2022 (and beyond), it's management.

King is a FA. But, I could (and would) cut these players and save an additional $20 million to the cuts you mentioned.

Player and Savings

Phillip Dorsett - $938K

Great. Collectively, we've opened up $30 million of cap space. But also 11 roster spots. And the Texans would only have 34 guys left on the roster that are signed. So that's about $47 million to fill out the rest of the roster, including signing your rookies. Sure, Nick can sign a handful of guys with decent ($4 - $5 mil/AAV) contracts. But the overwhelming majority of the signings will have to be vet minimums and UDFAs. Caserio won't be able to repeat the free agent frenzy from 2021.

Practically, all of the signings that were to build culture in the locker room will be flushed. 2021 was a wasted year, in time, money, and any other criteria you want to address. And Cal spent $6 million on a GM for that? If there's one aspect of this team that absolutely needs to be improved in 2022 (and beyond), it's management.

I would keep Mitchell and cut the rest

You're going to have to spend that money to fill out the roster anyway so you're going to get more guys like these guys. Hopefully you can add some of the 7 or so far that I've mentioned.

So if you were to keep Mitchell you would have 48 roster spots filled and 44 mil to work with. Say you spend 9 mil on 6-7 draft picks ( I'm using the late Rd picks to move up) that would give you 35 mil to work with. You probably will need to keep another 5 mil in reserve for injuries that are incurred over the course of the season and replacement players. That leaves you with 54 spots filled then say you spend another 5 mil on PS players, that leaves you with 25 mil. to spend in fa. I could work with that. Because with that I could sign the guys I listed and still have 10-12 mil left over. The cap isn't an issue is what I got out of your post.

Well you know you've been ponding the table pretty hard for the 'Bama tackle, so if Caserio drafts Ikwonu, or Cross, or any other OT before Neal then I won't have to worry about you being seriously upset about it ?

Nope, but if Neal is a better player 5 years from now you will hear it.

Reactions: JB
Say you spend 9 mil on 6-7 draft picks (I'm using the late Rd picks to move up)
You've got it backwards. Moving up to take players will give you players with more expensive draft pool spots. The Texans will need $15 million to sign the picks they have. If you want to get down to $9 million in draft pool money (which is absurd), you will have to trade every pick from the 3rd round down for future picks. Picks #3 and #37 would cost $9 million against the cap, alone.
The cap isn't an issue is what I got out of your post.
That doesn't surprise me a bit. You forgot to account for plenty. The Texans had $22 million on IR last year. But you've set aside $5 million. Maybe you have a future in the Texans front office, after all?

Player and Savings

Phillip Dorsett - $938K

You've got it backwards. Moving up to take players will give you players with more expensive draft pool spots. The Texans will need $15 million to sign the picks they have. If you want to get down to $9 million in draft pool money (which is absurd), you will have to trade every pick from the 3rd round down for future picks. Picks #3 and #37 would cost $9 million against the cap, alone.

That doesn't surprise me a bit. You forgot to account for plenty. The Texans had $22 million on IR last year. But you've set aside $5 million. Maybe you have a future in the Texans front office, after all?

We have a new accountant, maybe only one to keep up with Caserio. Cal take notice.

I'm OK with spending 15 mil on draft picks. If that means getting quality over quantity.

So lets say they lose 15 mil.

I've got the players I want Caserio to sign in FA at around 12 mil. You think Caserio could find away to come up with 3-5 mil? I think he easily can by making one simple move, trading/cutting Derrick.

Also I'm sure he could cut more dead weight to come up with 3-5 mil without cutting Derrick.

Bottom line is nobody knows where the Texans are headed cap wise until the Derrick situation is resolved. This situation is well deserved for the Texans because Calhoun decided to get in bed with Derrick. On a side note I'm thinking Calhoun has fat fingers.

Player and Savings

Phillip Dorsett - $938K

If we end up getting a trade for DW or Tunsil, that’ll free up more cap space.

I dunno who's got the best NFL Draft coverage this year, so what are your thoughts ?
Do you recommend a larger traditional website like ESPN, or SI, or CBS Sports or a smaller lesser known place ?
Big year for the Texans Draft, gotta get some solid coverage.

I dunno who's got the best NFL Draft coverage this year, so what are your thoughts ?
Do you recommend a larger traditional website like ESPN, or SI, or CBS Sports or a smaller lesser known place ?
Big year for the Texans Draft, gotta get some solid coverage.

The draft network and pro football network are good sites if you want to learn about prospects.

I usually take their lists and start watching videos.

Unless it's a top draft pick like Neal, Hutch, Thibs who I have already seen a bunch of. This is why I like Green, Salyer, I saw them play alot during the regular season and they were dominant.

Last edited:
Cade Mays is an interesting interior OL prospect in the 4th round range. I think he would win the starting RG job as a rookie.

I liked Mays alot but his performance at the Sr. Bowl was very disappointing. IMHO

Tyler Smith is the 4th rd guy I'm looking at. Perhaps even at #80.

Cade Mays is an interesting interior OL prospect in the 4th round range. I think he would win the starting RG job as a rookie.

I stopped watching May's early in the season as I wasn't that impressed. He does have good power. a history of injuries really concern me.

Dylan Parham, G/C, Memphis
Parham never played C at Memphis, but at 6'2" teams are looking at him at the position. 4 years starter at 3 positions, LG (2 years), RG (1 year),and RT (1 year). Listed at 285 lbs in college, but showed up at the Senior Bowl at 313.

Parham is similar in size to a couple of 2021 O-linemen, Kendrick Green (Steelers) and Quinn Meinerz (Broncos). Both Green and Meinerz put up explosive testing numbers and went in the 3rd. I'll be interested to see if Parham maintains that weight in Indy and puts up explosive numbers. If Parham shows up closer to his college weight, I doubt the Texans will be very interested.

Guys I just looked at that I like alot in the later rds

TE Chicgoziem Okonkwo- Big, fast great athlete. Good hands and not a terrible blocker.

Jequez Ezzard- Looks like an NFL slot WR to me.

Dai Jean Dixon- WR, looks like a future outside playmaker.

Linderbaum is absolutely terrific at the college level. His wrestling background is evident in his leverage, weight distribution, and hand/footwork.

That said the nfl is a different thing altogether of course, and his size could be problematic or he could transition with little issue. Won't really know until he's in there week in and week out against a constant stream of bigger, faster, stronger guys than he saw in college who also have technique to match his that he very rarely saw at Iowa.

If there are teams that frown at his size I could hardly blame them. If there are teams that feel confident it won't be a problem I completely get why they'd feel that way too. If I were a GM I'd probably ask him how he feels about carrying 5 or so extra pounds and go from there. Should be interesting to see play out.

Depends on the offensive system. If the Texans employ a power run game, then he' s likely not a good fit. Also, not a good fit for a pocket passer.
while I agree, Linderbaum could be an exception. I cannot make up my mind on him yet. I would only draft him if we had a surplus of draft picks as I think Britt will be back and we have so many needs.

Back