Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

If not I'm taking a guy like Davis at #13 or trading down and drafting Pickens/Moore etc.... Or just waiting to 37 because I think one of those guys will fall to #37.

I'm really looking to fix the trenches if one of the top 2 WR's aren't there at #13.
Sure. I agree but I still think there’s going to be a run and HOU wants one of those top 2 receivers.
It could be like you said and those 2 foundational players they want are linemen.

Sure. I agree but I still think there’s going to be a run and HOU wants one of those top 2 receivers.
It could be like you said and those 2 foundational players they want are linemen.

What I'm really hoping is Jermaine Johnson falls to 1-13.

If a couple of WR's go early this could easily happen. This draft is so much more intriguing than most drafts .

Peter King has the Texans trading 13 and 68 for pick 9. To take a WR…

9. Houston Texans: Garrett Wilson, wide receiver, Ohio State

*Projected Trade: Texans trade the 13th pick overall and an early third-round pick, 68th overall, to the Seahawks for the 9th selection.

And so here comes the run on receivers. Houston leapfrogs the Jets to get the franchise receiver for Davis Mills (who has a chance this year to win this job) or whoever the Texans pick next year to be the franchise passer. There’s a lot of love for Wilson in the league, even though he never led Ohio State in receiving in any of his three years and he’s a lean (6-0, 183) receiver who probably won’t play much heavier. He played the slot in 2020 and outside last year, so teams have plenty of tape to see him play all over the field in different offenses. Team like his ability to get open and to make things happen after the catch.

I look at Houston’s draft this way. Post-Watson, the Texans need some franchise players. If they come out of this draft with a long-term left tackle and a top receiver who can be counted on for the next five to eight years, it’s a profitable draft. Plus: GM Nick Caserio has the 37th overall pick, and he could use that on a second-level cornerback (Washington’s Kyler Gordon?) to attack another need area.
Beat me to this , I was about to post Peters Mock Draft.
I will add his 3 selection
3. Houston Texans: Ikem Ekwonu, offensive tackle, North Carolina State
If you’re the Texans, you’re really drafting for 2024. GM Nick Caserio’s got to be thinking of the long haul, and the long haul probably doesn’t consist of Laremy Tunsil and Brandin Cooks, both of whom will be 30 on opening-day 2024. So if you’re smart, and you’ve seen the top two edge guys go 1-2, you draft into the strength of this crop, tackle and wideout. Ekwonu is versatile and athletic, not the mauler that the other two top tackles are, but a cornerstone and smart lineman who should be the long-time leader of a currently lousy group.

That's reaching. JJ is going to be good. But, he will likely have to develop if he is used as a DE. Along with gain 20lbs or so. I would rather have Walker (probably the Jags), Hutchinson or Sauce at 3. JJ might be around at 13...if not get Ford, OL or Karlaftis. If any OL players are taken in the 1st 2 picks we are wide open for a top edge rusher...except Tib who has too many questions. As well as DB, hence while early Sauce is 6' 2-3 and 200lbs. He is worth it at 3 having allowed ZERO TDs in school and Lovie says the D won't work right till we have the right DBs. Sauce is no question a key cog for that.

I don’t mind a “reach” if there is little chance that player gets to your next pick and you have identified that player as the best position/value combo. Plus, none of us have access to the Texans’ board. He may be rated perfectly for 3 as opposed to some other draft board.

Jacksonville Jaguars (Pick No. 1)

Let's start off with a big one. All the intel I've gathered points to Georgia edge rusher Travon Walker -- not Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson -- as the No. 1 overall pick for the Jaguars. The belief around the league is Jacksonville prefers the upside and traits of Walker over the proven production, motor and leadership that Hutchinson brings to the table. And it is nearly a lock that one of them will come off the board first.

Nearly all the execs, scouts and coaches that I spoke with would personally take Hutchinson at No. 1 if it were them, though. Hutchinson is so technically efficient off the edge, and he is relentless in getting to the QB. He had 14 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss and 64 pressures last season. That's elite, and many teams prefer that kind of proven impact. But Walker's versatility, length, speed, explosion and strength could be the difference for the Jaguars. Execs around the NFL tell me Jacksonville just loves his upside, even though Walker (six sacks and 29 pressures) didn't fill the stat sheet like Hutchinson did in 2021.

Houston Texans (Nos. 3, 13)
This might really be the most interesting pick, in part because the rebuilding Texans could address any number of needs, and in part because general manager Nick Caserio's staff has done a really good job keeping a lid on their plans. Execs around the league are still trying to figure out how Houston is approaching the first of its two first-rounders. I'd say there's at least an 80% chance the first two picks are edge rushers, meaning Houston could do a lot of things at No. 3.

While looking at it purely as matching best player available with biggest needs, NC State offensive tackle Ikem Ekwonu or Thibodeaux make a lot of sense. Ekwonu would give Houston two great tackles, along with Laremy Tunsil. And Thibodeaux fits with what new coach Lovie Smith likes to do on defense: Bring speed in a four-man rush.
But I've heard two other intriguing nuggets on the Texans' No. 3 pick:

• Gardner could definitely be in the mix, but execs around the NFL believe that LSU cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. is higher on the Texans' board and could get attention here.

• Ohio State wide receiver Garrett Wilson could be a realistic option. Could the Texans trade up from No. 13 to get him? There's a lot of intel out there that they really like him.
Keep an eye on the Texans trying to trade out of this spot too. But the question there becomes: Which team would want to move up into that slot?

• Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton is my No. 4 prospect, and he is very high on a lot of teams' boards. But in my opinion, the draft starts with the Giants at No. 7 for him, and he could very well slide into the teens with the way things are coming together. I don't think he makes it past the Minnesota Vikings at No. 12 or Houston at No. 13, but with teams scrambling for the top offensive tackles, edge rushers, wide receivers and cornerbacks, Hamilton cracking the top 10 might be tough.

• Three prospects I've heard who could fall out of Round 1: Georgia linebacker Nakobe Dean, Purdue defensive end George Karlaftis and Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum. Dean is the most likely of the trio to still be a first-rounder.

That's reaching. JJ is going to be good. But, he will likely have to develop if he is used as a DE. Along with gain 20lbs or so. I would rather have Walker (probably the Jags), Hutchinson or Sauce at 3. JJ might be around at 13...if not get Ford, OL or Karlaftis. If any OL players are taken in the 1st 2 picks we are wide open for a top edge rusher...except Tib who has too many questions. As well as DB, hence while early Sauce is 6' 2-3 and 200lbs. He is worth it at 3 having allowed ZERO TDs in school and Lovie says the D won't work right till we have the right DBs. Sauce is no question a key cog for that.
I consider JJ to be as good as Thibs, and he's got more potential because he's a football 1st kinda guy.

Where do you have Thibs rated?

Rick Smith use to be King and Breer's stool pigeon. Peter and Albert hate Easterby so they ain't talking to Jack. What Breer forgot is what Lovie said before his CB comments. "Building your team starts with the OL and DL." Breer is a Buckeye so I'm not surprised he's pumping Garrett. Texans would be much better off with Jamison.

What do you all think of this??

[Jermain Johnson]

Johnson had a very productive box-score year in 2021 with 11.5 sacks to lead the ACC. It also ranked as the seventh-best total in the nation.

However, Johnson’s overall pass-rush consistency isn’t as impressive.

Johnson’s pass-rush win rate of 14.1% ranked 73rd out of 224 qualified Power-5 edge rushers (68th percentile). His pass-rush win rate in “true pass set” situations (one-on-one reps on long-developing passing plays without a quick pass, screen, play-action, bootleg, rollout, etc.) was 19.8%, ranking 91st out of 224 qualifiers (60th percentile).

An extremely high sack conversion rate helped Johnson look better in the box score than he did from an overall pass-rush-win standpoint. A whopping 30.4% of Johnson’s total pressures were converted into sacks. That is nearly double the 2021 FBS average for edge rushers (16.8%).

There is definitely a great degree of skill involved in finishing sacks, but when a player has that high of a sack conversion rate, it could be a warning sign that he had an outlier year of sack production and will crash down to the mean in the future.

Rick Smith use to be King and Breer's stool pigeon. Peter and Albert hate Easterby so they ain't talking to Jack. What Breer forgot is what Lovie said before his CB comments. "Building your team starts with the OL and DL." Breer is a Buckeye so I'm not surprised he's pumping Garrett. Texans would be much better off with Jamison.

As far as Jameson Williams, he suffered his ACL Jan 2022. This is the most up-to-date study (specifically regarding WRs) that I have referred to in the past that should make taking him high give one pause. ACLs have improved somewhat in recovery time, but for WRs the prognosis should still remain quite guarded.

Arthroscopy, Sports Medicine, and Rehabilitation
Volume 3, Issue 2, April 2021, Pages e455-e461

Decreased Performance and Return to Play Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Football League Wide Receivers
Author links open overlay panelColin J.BurgessD.O.aErikStapletonD.O., M.S.aKennethChoyB.A.bCesarIturriagaM.D.aRandy M.CohnM.D.a

Purpose
To identify the time to return to play (RTP) and evaluate the performance level in wide receivers in the National Football League following anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.

Methods
A total of 29 wide receivers in the National Football League who underwent ACL reconstruction between 2013 and 2017 who met inclusion criteria were retrospectively identified and reviewed. For each player, a matched control with similar demographics was identified to compare various in-game performance measurements and seasons played.

Results
Of the wide receivers that met the inclusion criteria, 9 of 29 (31%) did not RTP in a regular season game following ACL reconstruction. For players who did RTP, 20 of 29 (69%), the average time was 10.9 months (331.4 ± 41.6 days). When we compared the tear group with the matched control cohort, players with ACL tears ended their careers on an average of 1.9 seasons earlier (2.2 vs 4.1 seasons, P < .001) and also played less than half the number of games (25.5 vs 56.6 games, P = .001), respectively. Those that RTP also saw decreased performance statistics in targets (353.6 vs 125.2 P < .001), receptions (208.0 vs 74.4, P = .001), receiving yards (2691.0 vs 987.9, P = .001), and touchdowns (17.4 vs 6.2, P = .002).

Conclusions
Sixty-nine percent of wide receivers who underwent ACL reconstruction were able to RTP at an average of 10.9 months, or 331.4 days. Despite the majority of players being able to RTP, there was a significant decrease in both statistical performance and career duration.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
As far as Jameson Williams, he suffered his ACL Jan 2022. This is the most up-to-date study that I have referred to in the past that should make taking him high give one pause. ACLs have improved somewhat in recovery time, but for WRs the prognosis should still remain quite guarded.

Arthroscopy, Sports Medicine, and Rehabilitation
Volume 3, Issue 2, April 2021, Pages e455-e461

Decreased Performance and Return to Play Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Football League Wide Receivers
Author links open overlay panelColin J.BurgessD.O.aErikStapletonD.O., M.S.aKennethChoyB.A.bCesarIturriagaM.D.aRandy M.CohnM.D.a

Purpose
To identify the time to return to play (RTP) and evaluate the performance level in wide receivers in the National Football League following anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.

Methods
A total of 29 wide receivers in the National Football League who underwent ACL reconstruction between 2013 and 2017 who met inclusion criteria were retrospectively identified and reviewed. For each player, a matched control with similar demographics was identified to compare various in-game performance measurements and seasons played.

Results
Of the wide receivers that met the inclusion criteria, 9 of 29 (31%) did not RTP in a regular season game following ACL reconstruction. For players who did RTP, 20 of 29 (69%), the average time was 10.9 months (331.4 ± 41.6 days). When we compared the tear group with the matched control cohort, players with ACL tears ended their careers on an average of 1.9 seasons earlier (2.2 vs 4.1 seasons, P < .001) and also played less than half the number of games (25.5 vs 56.6 games, P = .001), respectively. Those that RTP also saw decreased performance statistics in targets (353.6 vs 125.2 P < .001), receptions (208.0 vs 74.4, P = .001), receiving yards (2691.0 vs 987.9, P = .001), and touchdowns (17.4 vs 6.2, P = .002).

Conclusions
Sixty-nine percent of wide receivers who underwent ACL reconstruction were able to RTP at an average of 10.9 months, or 331.4 days. Despite the majority of players being able to RTP, there was a significant decrease in both statistical performance and career duration.

Good Stuff.

I consider JJ to be as good as Thibs, and he's got more potential because he's a football 1st kinda guy.

Where do you have Thibs rated?
Does Thibs love football or does Thibs love him some Thibs?

If Thibs is drafted by the Texans what is the over/under on the # of years before he demands his trade/release? 1 or 2 years?

Last edited:
If Aiden Hutchison is available at 3, then we take him. If he's not, we should trade back and acquire more picks. Edge is one of the deepest positions in this draft class and I'm sure we can get a good one in round 2.
Taking a wide receiver in the first 2 rounds is a luxury we can't afford. WR is also very deep in the draft and a play maker can be had in rounds 3 & 4 (David Bell, Skyy Moore, Romeo Doubs). I would prefer to spend a high pick on a RB before I would a WR - since we don't have one.

I agree with Lovie in building in the trenches first - D line, OT and DB

Last edited:
Offensive line

If Ickey isn’t the top O-lineman, who is?

Scout 2: Evan Neal. He’s my favorite tackle. He’s a massive human being with freakish upside. He’s good but not great. He’s no Trent Williams, and if Tristan Wirfs were in this class, he’d be ahead of Neal.

OL Coach 2 on Neal: You never know what you’re gonna get with him. He has a lot of potential. He absorbs guys in pass protection. At the combine, he looked like he was 250; it was crazy.

OL Coach 1: We liked (BC’s) Zion Johnson. He’s so smart. Good swing player. He has the flexibility to recover; is good in pass pro, explosive in the run game. Does the weight room translate to the field? With him, it does. We were fired up about Neal because of his intensity and play demeanor. He underwhelmed. His run blocking needs to be developed. It’s night and day when it comes to how his motor compares to (Ekwonu). He is an elite pass protector and a good kid, but in the run game he leaves a lot to be desired.

What did you think of the other O-linemen talked about as potential first rounders?

OL Coach 1 on MSU’s Charles Cross: We didn’t really like him. We saw him as much more of a project. The system hurts him. It matters. We didn’t love his interview. He has the tools, but he’s not as thick and powerful. We don’t think he’s a Day 1 guy.

OL Coach 1 on Northern Iowa’s Trevor Penning: We like his physicality. He’s nasty. Has good feet. He’s probably a backup Year 1.

OL Coach 2 on Penning: You don’t know how he’s gonna translate against better competition. He has obvious physical talent; was being a prick at the Senior Bowl. Some people are into that and some don’t like it.

OL Coach No. 1 on CMU’s Bernhard Raimann: We liked him. He had a good interview with us. We graded him as a backup offensive tackle. He’s a good fluid athlete, but he needs to get stronger. He’s more of a finesse blocker, not a thumper.

Wide receivers

Who do you think is the best receiver in this draft?

WR Coach 1: Jameson Williams. To me, it’s not close. There’s a big drop after him. He’s blazing fast and you can’t replicate that top-end, and his play speed is different — like Tyreek Hill different — he’s running away from SEC guys. His explosiveness after the catch is rare. His quickness at the line of scrimmage is just different. He’s a hands catcher not a body catcher. I think he’s a good catcher, not a great catcher.

Scout 2: Love Jameson Williams. He’s competitive as hell, not only in games but at practice. I haven’t seen a wide receiver compete at practice like he does since Michael Thomas was at Ohio State. I do worry about his maturity, though.

WR Coach 5: I wasn’t sure what to think of Jameson Williams. I thought he was just gonna be a deep threat, but he’s more than that. He’s got a really good skill set. It’s not just speed, it’s his acceleration, but he can get back to full speed really quick, like very few guys can do. He is a little bit of a smaller guy, but he’s not afraid to do some of the dirty work.

WR Coach 2: Garrett Wilson. He’s just so twitchy. He’s very quick and he’s polished. He’s not as explosive as Williams, but his ball skills are excellent, and I think he can excel both as an inside guy and as an outside guy.

Which WRs do you think are sleepers and not getting talked about enough?

WR Coach 3: WMU’s Skyy Moore. He raised really high during this offseason, but I loved him already. His combine and pro day were really good. He has great instincts, is tough, durable. Never hurt, ever. He can do a lot; play inside and outside. I think you can line this dude up in the backfield. He’s powerful. He’s wired right. He went there as a corner. I am surprised he didn’t transfer. Tells you a lot about the kid. I like the fact that he stuck around.

Scout 2 on Alabama’s John Metchie: I know people don’t see him as a No.1 receiver. I think he’s gonna excel in the NFL. He’s really quick. Has really good hands and is competitive as **. It’s all just really good with him.

How do you view the rest of the WR class?

WR Coach 4 on Penn State’s Jahan Dotson: He’s a better player than the hype he’s getting. He’s faster than you think.

WR Coach 3 on Dotson: He has phenomenal ball skills. He will run right through a football in traffic. He is so talented.

WR Coach 1 on Dotson: He’s got the best ball skills in the draft. He does a great job of attacking the ball, but he’s so slight even compared to those Ohio State guys. I think he’s gonna have to play inside to translate in the NFL.

WR Coach 3 on Purdue’s David Bell: I think he’s gonna struggle. He can’t run away from anybody. He’s heavy-legged. He’ll get pressed. People bring up that Anquan Bolden also didn’t run a good 40-time, but he played fast. You saw explosion out of his break. With Bell, there’s no second gear, no suddenness to him. It’s all the same speed.

WR Coach 1 on USC’s Drake London: He has really good movement skills. He runs well without being blazing fast and has that basketball ability to post people. Inside or out, he finds the ball. He has better ball skills and is more consistent than (former USC teammate Michael Pittman).

WR Coach 5 on London: He’s so young, and his body is still developing. His arrow is up. His speed is concerning, no doubt about it. I think he’s a little more advanced than Mike Evans was at this stage; but Mike was a little faster, but they make the contested catches and they go inside-and-go outstanding. I do see those comparisons.

WR Coach 1 on Utah’s Britain Covey: I think he’s strictly a return guy. He doesn’t flash as a receiver. I think he’d struggle in the slot because he doesn’t have elite quickness and he’s so tiny. He would get pinballed around in there, but he is a dynamic return guy.

WR Coach 1 on Kentucky’s Wan’Dale Robinson: I like him. He’s a hybrid guy. He transferred to Kentucky (from Nebraska) and got to play in a pro-style offense. If he doesn’t go to Kentucky he’s not draftable. He can play in the slot. I see a lot of Randall Cobb in his game. He’s just so good with the ball in his hands; I think he’s more than just a gadget guy.

Continued:

Defensive line

Aidan Hutchinson is atop a bunch of mock drafts going No. 1 overall to Jacksonville. Does that make sense to you? Do you buy him as a top overall talent?

Defensive coach No. 1: I’m not sure he has quite the ceiling as a few of these guys, but his floor is very high. He’s the safest guy in the draft. Like if they take him, I don’t think anyone’s gonna be like, man, we fucked that pick up. I just don’t think when you watch the film, he doesn’t have that holy crap, how are we gonna block this guy? He just doesn’t have that one rare trait. He’s just a good, talented, high-effort football player.

Defensive coach No. 2: I wouldn’t take him there or even in the top four. He doesn’t have the arm length (32 1/8 inches). I don’t see the twitch. I don’t think he’s got explosiveness where we’d have to take him. There’s nothing special about him athletically to go that high. He does have really good change of direction, and he’s a really good fundamental player, but other than his makeup and his fundamentals, there’s nothing special about him athletically. I don’t see him consistently winning off the edge with his initial move. I don’t see him being a 12-15 sack guy. I think his production in college is because he’s a really good technician. I’d rather take the athlete over the technician because we can teach him the technique. I don’t think he’s gonna get that much better.

Defensive Coach No. 3: I like his twitch and bend. He’s going to transition fast because his makeup is so good.

Defensive Coach No. 4. His arm length is very concerning. He looked like a man among boys out there a lot because he’s really developed and technically advanced. In the NFL, he’s going to be going up against men, and I’m not sure he’s going to stand up. I think he’ll be a really good player but not a great one. Do you take a guy with the first overall pick who may never be a double-digit sack guy?

People love Travon Walker as a talent, but are you concerned about his relative lack of production as a playmaker?

Defensive Coach No. 3: That guy has got it all. He’s the one you’re drooling over.

Scout No. 1: He will play through you. He is such a violent, explosive guy. He will steal your lunch money.

Defensive Coach No. 1: I do like him. There’s no reason to think he can’t do all that you hope he can do. But you’re making a projection and betting on the traits with this guy. Is he an outside guy on first and second down and then kicks inside on third down? You know what you’re getting with Hutchinson and Jermaine Johnson, you see it on the film. With this guy, you’re hoping his best football is ahead of him. I think it is.

Scout No. 2: As a possible first or second overall pick? I don’t love him that high. For sure, top 10. He’s so big, strong and long, but I don’t see a rare talent. He could be 290 easily. He put up ridiculous numbers at the combine, but none of that stuff really translated on tape. Even during their pro day, he was the third-most athletic D-line dude behind Jordan Davis and (Devonte Wyatt), and he didn’t look as freaky as those other dudes.

Defensive Coach No. 5: At Georgia, they played him at a 4i — inside technique off the tackle. When you’re in there, you’re doing a lot of grunt work. Testing-wise, he’s better than Myles Garrett. He’s a freak and he is aggressive. With Myles, we didn’t really know how much he wants to set the edge against the run. His motor was up and down. This guy is an animal. He was playing on such a loaded team, but when the production isn’t really there, it does kind of scare you.

Defensive Coach No. 2: They played him as 3-4 end. That’s not his position. I think he’s a 4-3 edge-setting defensive end. He’ll be 280 soon and can really run.

Which of the top D-linemen do you think is most underrated in the draft chatter you’ve heard?

Defensive Coach No. 2: Jordan Davis. He’s really intriguing. He’s over 340 and runs 4.78? That’s ******* insane. Watch Atlanta take him at 8. He’s been really well-coached there. Trey Scott is an excellent D-line coach. I think he’s more explosive than Vita Vea. He’s not as strong but is much more quick-twitch. I think he can be very disruptive.

Defensive Coach No. 1: (Miami of Ohio DE/OLB) Dominique Robinson. He’s played so little defense in his life, but for a guy who has transitioned over to defense after playing wide receiver, you can see the physicality and the willingness to put his face in there. With offensive guys, you worry about the transition: Do they have that nasty side of him to play defense? I’m watching his film and thinking, holy ****, this guy is really ******* good. It’s the whole package: He’s got the length, athleticism, the change of direction and the explosiveness. Watch him drop into coverage; you see that he recognizes exchanges and routes. I would be shocked if he’s not high on the 3-4 OLBs list. He’s gonna be a starter.

Scout No. 2: (FSU DE) Jermaine Johnson. He’s an elite talent. Can play the run because he is long enough and heavy enough and he plays his balls off. He comes across as super cocky, but the more I’m around him, the more I like him. He’s not too big for anything. Everybody at FSU raves about the guy, talking about how he came back to work with younger guys.

Kayvon Thibodeaux is one of the most polarizing prospects in this draft. How do you see him?

Defensive Coach No. 2: He needs to be in the right system. I am a fan of the pass rusher. He can roll now. His first step is as good as anyone’s. He’s twitchy. He’s a poor run defender. If a 4-3 team takes him, they’re gonna wish he can get bigger. I don’t see it. He’s a smaller-boned dude.

Scout No. 1: I like him. When he turns it on, it’s as good as it comes. Is he gonna turn it on consistently? He’s lean, but he is strong and explosive. I do think he will do enough to be a three-down guy. I don’t think he’s a dumb kid. He knows what he’s doing. I do think he’s gonna make it.

Defensive Coach No. 1: He’s a big personality. If you’re a team that isn’t comfortable with one player pushing himself into the spotlight, he’s probably not for you. The issues to me are gonna come up with the competing focus. Is he too worried about his brand? When we brought him in, I was like, whoa, ****, this guy is a handful.

Defensive backs

Sauce Gardner is being touted as a top-10 pick. Does he really merit that kind of hype?

Defensive Coach No. 7: Yes. Sauce has ascended. He’s a wiry guy who can run and he’s physical. He wows you in the interview; he’s himself. He’s got confidence and he’s very smart.

Defensive Coach No. 3: I think so. He’s got it all, and he’s coachable and a good teammate. You watched him closely in this process, in his pro day, he was so aware of his teammates, so engaged in how they were doing at pro day. You don’t always see that from those guys who are so locked in about what they’re doing. It was more, wow, he’s a guy that got every reason to be a dick, and he’s the exact opposite.

Derek Stingley Jr. was fantastic as a true freshman in 2019 but battled injury and looked like a different player the past two seasons. What do you make of him as a prospect?

Defensive Coach No. 7: I don’t know. You wonder, what are you gonna get? Who is he? In 2019, you saw those big flashes. He is a legit talent. He’s got elite ball skills, really good feet. He can return punts. He’s a better all-around pure athlete than Patrick Surtain. He’s probably a top-5 pick if he could’ve come out after 2019. But now what? You just gotta keep on digging.

Kyle Hamilton has some people talking about him as a top-5 talent, which is rare for a safety. How high would you take him?

Defensive Coach No. 7: Safeties are not a premium. He’s a unicorn, and he is a very good player. He’s really versatile. He doesn’t fit the mold. He’s built like a sam linebacker. His man coverage isn’t great and his short-area quickness isn’t great. He could be on the No. 3 in the 3-by-1 formation or on a slot. You can’t name a lot of safeties who can really cover a slot.

QB Coach No. 2: I don’t get it. It’s like he’s too tall. His FSU game was impressive, but people are talking about him like he’s another Derwin James, and he’s not. When the Chargers practice, Derwin James covers Keenan Allen and covers him well. Keenan Allen would make Kyle Hamilton want to retire.

Per the drafttek trade value chart Texans win 21.8 pts for pick 170 vs 17.6 pts for 183 and 245.

I don’t mind giving up a 7th to move up 13 spots and have a better chance to use that 5th as an additional trade chip to maneuver around in the draft. Still have two sixths and now a fifth to work with… that 7th wouldn’t have helped any deal along but a 5th can.

Texans NFL Draft Big Board: Drake London, Ikem Ekwonu and other potential early-round fit
By Aaron Reiss THE ATHLETIC
3h ago
Every team says it picks the best player available in the NFL Draft, but the Texans are one of the few in position to really follow that approach.
As general manager Nick Caserio prepares for the second season of a long rebuild, the Texans still have needs everywhere. The lone exception in the 2022 draft might be at quarterback, where the Texans appear prepared to start 2021 third-round pick Davis Mills for at least this season.
So many needs and a lack of draft history under Caserio, who made five picks in his first draft as GM, make it hard to narrow the pool of potential targets. But with the help of Dane Brugler’s draft guide, “The Beast,” we identified some possible Day 1 and Day 2 fits for the Texans.
Drake London, WR, USC: Standing almost 6-4 and weighing 219 pounds, London has the most prototypical size of the top tier of receivers in this draft. The former basketball player can win 50/50 balls, but he’s also a pretty fluid athlete for his size. He primarily played in the slot during his first two seasons at USC. He’d immediately be one of the Texans’ most well-rounded receivers.
Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama: With Brandin Cooks now under contract through 2024, speed is not necessarily the Texans’ greatest need at receiver, but Williams could be hard to pass up if he falls to No. 13, when the Texans make their second pick in the first round. If not for a torn ACL in the national championship game that could delay Williams’ pro debut, he’d maybe be WR1 in this draft. And if any team can afford to be patient while betting on upside, it’s the Texans.
Evan Neal, OT, Alabama: The Athletic’s Nate Tice mocks Neal to Houston at No. 3 overall. He’s maybe the most polished all-around tackle in this class, and he played left guard, right tackle and left tackle at Alabama. That positional versatility could be handy for a Texans line that’s in flux pretty much everywhere other than at left tackle.
Ikem Ekwonu, OT, N.C. State: Brugler ranks him as the top offensive linemen in this class and has previously mocked him No. 1 overall. Ekwonu, who played left tackle and left guard in college, has movement traits to be an elite run blocker. That might be appealing to Caserio after the Texans finished last in rushing DVOA for the second straight season.

North Carolina State offensive tackle Ikem Ekwonu could help the Houston Texans’ improve the league’s worst rushing offense. (David Rosenblum / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa: More of a project than Neal or Ekwonu, Penning could be an option for Texans at No. 13 overall, or perhaps even a bit later in the draft if Houston trades back. He’s raw after playing offensive line for just one season in high school, but he displayed impressive growth — both on the field and in the weight room — at Northern Iowa. At 6-foot-7, Penning is likely a tackle only. Drafting him would mean Tytus Howard probably starts at guard for the Texans in 2022.
Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College: After transferring from FCS Davidson, Johnson became Brugler’s top-ranked guard in this class. If the Texans are able to trade back from No. 13 into the 20s to draft Johnson, they could make a major improvement to their line while picking up additional assets.
Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M: Green could go late in Round 1 or possibly be available to the Texans at No. 37 overall, in the second round. He struggled with penalties throughout his college career, but his versatility is attractive: He was the only college player to play 80-plus snaps at four different offensive line positions in 2021, lining up everywhere but center.
Kayvon Thibodeaux, edge, Oregon: There’s annually a prospect subject to odd criticisms about his personality and off-field interests. This year, it’s Thibodeaux. Once viewed as a potential No. 1 overall pick, Thibodeaux might fall behind Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson and Georgia’s Travon Walker to be available to the Texans at No. 3 overall. The Texans are in desperate need of a Pro Bowl-level edge rusher to complement 2020 third-round pick Jon Greenard, and Thibodeaux is arguably as good an option as any in this draft. The Athletic’s Diante Lee considers him to have a higher ceiling than Hutchinson and a higher floor than Walker.
Jermaine Johnson, edge, Florida State: An option at No. 13 or perhaps even a bit later in the first round, Johnson led the ACC in sacks (12), TFLs (18) and forced fumbles (2) while playing in a four-man front during his lone season at Florida State.
Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia: The Texans have greater needs than defensive tackle, but Lovie Smith has said his defense starts at the three-technique spot, and Wyatt is the best three-technique in the class. On a talented Georgia defense, he led all Bulldog defensive linemen in tackles the past two seasons. The 13th overall pick would probably be a little rich for a defensive tackle, though, so he makes more sense if Houston trades back.
Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia: The Texans’ linebacking corps is a collection of veterans on short-term deals and 2021 fifth-round pick Garret Wallow, so Dean could make an impact right away. Dean is on the smaller end at 5-11, 231, but Caserio hasn’t stocked the position with more traditional run-thumpers, so that might not be an issue.

Cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. could give the Texans an impact player at a premium position. (Derick E. Hingle / USA Today)
Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU: His best production came during LSU’s national championship season in 2019. That might be alarming to some, but Stingley offers superstar potential at a premium position. Smith said he prioritizes ball skills when evaluating corners, and Stingley recorded a combined 32 pass breakups and interceptions in 25 collegiate games.
Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, CB, Cincinnati: At 6-foot-2, Gardner is a couple of inches taller than Stingley and a more physical corner. He thrives in bump-and-run coverage that allows him to stay in a receiver’s pocket. That might not be as ideal of a fit for Smith’s zone-heavy system, but Gardner is Brugler’s CB1.
Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame: Safety is arguably the Texans’ thinnest position after losing Justin Reid in free agency. Picking the ultra-versatile Hamilton, the draft’s top safety, would allow the Texans to fill the many different holes in their secondary.
Day 2
Kenneth Walker III, RB, Michigan State: Walker is Brugler’s No. 1 back in this class. He transferred from Wake Forest to Michigan State before running for more than 1,600 yards in his lone season as a full-time starter. With 263 carries in 2021, Walker proved he could be the workhorse the Texans’ backfield is missing. Like a lot of college backs, he’s unproven as a receiver. But according to Pro Football Focus, he led the nation last season in broken tackles, a stat that tends to be sticky from college to the NFL.
Brain Robinson Jr., RB, Alabama: Robinson finally got his chance to be the Tide’s lead back during his fifth and final year in Tuscaloosa. He averaged five yards per carry in Bill O’Brien’s pro-style scheme and showed upside as a receiver (35 catches for 296 yards). Robinson is an option if the Texans choose to wait until the middle rounds to address one of the sport’s less-valued positions.
Khalil Shakir, WR, Boise State: Slot receiver was a rotating door for the Texans in 2021. Shakir, who averaged 121.5 all-purpose yards during his junior and senior seasons, could offer some stability. He’d be an option in the return game, too.

Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia: The Texans are currently set to run it back with an underwhelming pair of inline tight ends in Pharaoh Brown and Antony Auclair. Woods is a mid-round option who could help the Texans right away as a blocker. He also has the potential to be an asset in high-leverage situations, as he used his 6-foot-7 frame to produce a first down or touchdown on 70.5% of his receptions in 2021.
Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota: An Australian native, Faalele didn’t suit up for a football game until his senior year of high school, but his large frame — currently 6-8, 384 pounds — was enough to get the attention of college programs. However, his size also limits his range and speed. At the next level, he’s likely to stay at right tackle, the position he played in college.
Dylan Parham, OG/C, Memphis: At 6-2, 311 pounds, Parham is best suited to play center in the NFL, but he was a guard and tackle in college. Still, The Athletic’s Nick Baumgardner loves his consistently savvy use of leverage in the run game. The Texans have center Justin Britt on a two-year contract, so they can be patient while Parham adjusts to center.
Cameron Thomas, edge, San Diego State: He’s an average athlete but possesses a nose for the ball in the backfield, as evidenced by his 20.5 TFLs and 11.5 sacks in 2021. He likely won’t be as productive on a play-to-play basis in the NFL, but he has the prototypical size (6-4, 267) to be an every-down edge rusher in Smith’s four-man front.
Matthew Butler, DT, Tennessee: As mentioned when discussing Wyatt above, defensive tackle isn’t one of the Texans’ biggest needs, so it might make more sense to add to the position in the middle rounds with a player like Butler. He doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher, but he’s a scheme-versatile three-technique who got better every season at Tennessee.

Joshua Williams, CB, Fayetteville State: Currently holding 11 picks in this draft, the Texans can afford to take a few big swings, especially after Day 1. Williams is just that, having played corner for one season in high school and just two at the Division II level. His background as a receiver gives him the ball skills Smith covets (24 pass breakups and five interceptions in his last 20 games), and the Texans can afford to be patient while refining his technique as an outside corner.
Alontae Taylor, DB, Tennessee: A college corner who could move to safety, Taylor profiles as a potential core special teams player, according to Brugler. Not exciting, but the Texans need to build that depth in the middle rounds.

Like this list of prospects on Texan board better than one I saw for Chargers board but there in lies beauty of two 1st’s and a 2nd. Finally something fanbase can get excited about:fans:

Article is about Stingley but some good insight in Lovie’s draft philosophy.

““I like Stingley,” said former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel on his podcast. “He’s really interesting. When he’s healthy, this guy is really good. There’s nothing he can’t do. He missed a lot of time. The key is, ‘What’s the character, and what does the team think about the injuries?’ I’ve been in eight draft rooms before with (Texans coach) Lovie Smith, and Lovie is a pure traits guy.

“Lovie is huge on ball skills, getting interceptions. A corner like Stingley that can pick the football off on a consistent basis is extremely valuable for Lovie’s defense. I like Gardner, too. One assistant director I talked with thinks that Gardner is overrated, but I think he just likes Stingley better. Knowing Lovie the way I do, I think he’s going to look at Gardner much like a (retired Bears corner) Peanut Tillman. I think Gardner is worthy of the pick, as is Stingley. Both these guys are going to be quality pros.””

Per the drafttek trade value chart Texans win 21.8 pts for pick 170 vs 17.6 pts for 183 and 245.

I don’t mind giving up a 7th to move up 13 spots and have a better chance to use that 5th as an additional trade chip to maneuver around in the draft. Still have two sixths and now a fifth to work with… that 7th wouldn’t have helped any deal along but a 5th can.
I'm not going to bash the pick, but to me, the Texans are so bad, those late round picks should make the roster. In fact, when you have a plethora of 6th and 7th rd picks on a bad team, that trumps undrafted players. All those guys who might be undrafted, those late round picks can be on the team without angling for a player to come to your program. I wouldn't have made that trade.

I don’t mind a “reach” if there is little chance that player gets to your next pick and you have identified that player as the best position/value combo. Plus, none of us have access to the Texans’ board. He may be rated perfectly for 3 as opposed to some other draft board.

A member of the Texans tweeted out the player ranks by position. True it probably is not the exact one that they will use. But, Walker and Hutchinson are listed 1 and 2. 3 I think was Sauce and then... let me see if I can find it...here you go judge for yourself if it's a hint of smoke screen. Johnson is 9 if true meaning he isn't going to be here unless we move from 13 seeing someone is going to be on him after #3

Screenshot_20220425-185352_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-185401_Chrome.jpg

A member of the Texans tweeted out the player ranks by position. True it probably is not the exact one that they will use. But, Walker and Hutchinson are listed 1 and 2. 3 I think was Sauce and then... let me see if I can find it...here you go judge for yourself if it's a hint of smoke screen. Johnson is 9 if true meaning he isn't going to be here unless we move from 13 seeing someone is going to be on him after #3

View attachment 10067

View attachment 10068

Rhett Lewis on nfl.com just mocked Johnson to Houston at 3 today.

Rhett Lewis on nfl.com just mocked Johnson to Houston at 3 today.

I saw it last night. That was a shocker. Just might happen though.
I loved the 4th pick when they had Rick Eisen on to demand Sauce be drafted at 4 by his Jets.
“I want the Sauce. I need the Sauce. Gimme the Sauce.”

View attachment 10067

View attachment 10068
I’d be thoroughly disappointed if that’s the way the Texans mock a big board.

I’m thoroughly convinced everyone of you will be extremely upset Thursday night.

even Texian who is expecting fubar is going to be steaming mad. He won’t admit it until Saturday, but believe me. His anger will be deeply rooted in Thursday night.
Well today is the beginning of Draft Week and we already have 1 less draft pick than we had when we woke up with this morning.

Last edited:
What I'm really hoping is Jermaine Johnson falls to 1-13.

If a couple of WR's go early this could easily happen. This draft is so much more intriguing than most drafts .

WR if we keep 13...Chris Olave can potentially be AJ v2. 6' 187lbs 40 in 4.39 or London who I love his size he is considered a mid to late 1st. I would rather have other positions but I think that the Texans dropped a huge hint on Twitter.

Sauce at 3
Olave at 13.. Unless they trade out of 13

View attachment 10067

View attachment 10068
Gardner is definitely a nice pick so I guess I could live with it.
I can see why they would go with CB here but Texans really are between a rock and a hard place.
I really hope they trade back as I think Gardner might be had around 6.

I’m thoroughly convinced everyone of you will be extremely upset Thursday night.

even Texian who is expecting fubar is going to be steaming mad. He won’t admit it until Saturday, but believe me. His anger will be deeply rooted in Thursday night.
I won’t be upset because I truly believe they can’t mess this one up. There is so much talent in this year’s draft. So whoever they draft I will be excited and start posting their highlights.

I won’t be upset because I truly believe they can’t mess this one up. There is so much talent in this year’s draft. So whoever they draft I will be excited and start posting their highlights.
Yeah but you know there will be those that will say he ain't a GMs butthole because he didn't take their guy. And that's before they see how their pick and Carstereo's pick have put on an NFL uni.

WR if we keep 13...Chris Olave can potentially be AJ v2. 6' 187lbs 40 in 4.39 or London who I love his size he is considered a mid to late 1st. I would rather have other positions but I think that the Texans dropped a huge hint on Twitter.

Sauce at 3
Olave at 13.. Unless they trade out of 13
You know what bothers me about Olave? The same thing that bothers me about London,ypc. How can you have a projected top 5 qb and a 1st rd wr opposite of you in the Big 10 and only avg 14 per catch and you're a 4.39 guy? Something doesn't compute. I said the same about Paris Campbell. I thought McLaurin would be the better NFL wr because of his speed to run by people. Again, he was 20 ypc his last year with Campbell was 11 ypc and the while Haskins threw for 5000 yds

I'm not going to bash the pick, but to me, the Texans are so bad, those late round picks should make the roster. In fact, when you have a plethora of 6th and 7th rd picks on a bad team, that trumps undrafted players. All those guys who might be undrafted, those late round picks can be on the team without angling for a player to come to your program. I wouldn't have made that trade.
You can load your roster after the draft is over with plenty of undrafted FAs that are in the same crap-shoot as your 6th and 7th round selections. When you get past picks 175/180 and beyond, none of those are usually any better or worse than the UDFAs you sign after the draft. I'd have done what he did in a heartbeat. We moved up from picking 183 (6th) to 170 (5th) and the cost to do so was a 7th (245). The draft is usually over around pick #255 or so, and after that it's a free-for-all on the UDFAs. So there's a lot more value moving up 13 spots to 170 from 183 than the loss of value moving back from 245 (your 7th) to the 255 to 260 range when the draft ends.

The problem with Derek Stingly Jr is he has never been Derek Stingly Jr since his LisFranc injury. You know it is kind of like Matt Schaub was never Matt Schaub after his LisFranc injury.

Well, you know, he's just recently finished off-season rehab and has yet to actually play a game since his Lisfranc injury..

Back