Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

What I'm reading is that Willis is the most like Russell Wilson
Wilson was a pure passer coming out of Wisconsin. He had a 72% completion % and averaged 12 yards/completion. Threw for 33 TDs & 4 INTs as a Senior. Wilson ran for nearly 400 yards, but was always a pass first QB.

Willis is more like Lamar Jackson lite. Jackson makes it work, because he is a special, special athlete. I don't see that type of athlete in Willis. Maybe Jalen Hurts with a stronger arm. Jackson went #32 in 2018. Hurts went #53 in 2020. Both played at a higher level of competition in college than Willis.

I've looked at this a lot (like everyone else), and I can't find the sweet spot for movement. After the 1st CB is off the board? After the 2nd OT? The 3rd edge rusher? I've said this since last fall. There are no top 10 QBs. Maybe the Panthers will be pigeon-holed into taking one at #6. But they'd much prefer moving down 10 spots to do it.
While there are no apparent standouts at QB, there are 2 or 3 that teams have been associated with. It will be interesting to see who blinks first to grab one.

I've been considering Jermaine Johnson for our #3 pick and got to comparing him to Aidan Hutchinson:

.........................Johnson...Hutchinson
games played......12...........14 (including Orange Bowl)
tackles................70...........62
tackles for loss.....17.5........16.5
sacks..................11.5........14
forced fumbles......2............2
qb hurries............12...........12

Now I don't do film study, and I don't know the quality of the opposing players, but looking at the 2021 schedules:

Florida State played 4 ranked teams: (8) Notre Dame; (14) Clemson; (15) Wake Forest; (20) NC State

Michigan played 3 ranked teams in the regular season and 1 in the Orange Bowl: (9) MI State; (6) Ohio State; (23) Iowa; and in the Orange Bowl, (1) Georgia

I've been considering Jermaine Johnson for our #3 pick and got to comparing him to Aidan Hutchinson:

Now I don't do film study, and I don't know the quality of the opposing players, but looking at the 2021 schedules:

Florida State played 4 ranked teams: (8) Notre Dame; (14) Clemson; (15) Wake Forest; (20) NC State

Michigan played 3 ranked teams in the regular season and 1 in the Orange Bowl: (9) MI State; (6) Ohio State; (23) Iowa; and in the Orange Bowl, (1) Georgia

Honestly I like JJ better than both Hutch and Tib. I’d rather just get Sauce at 3 then hope JJ is there at 13. He plays the run really well and will be on the field a ton more than the other 2 to me.

Johnson is a great player. But, the size/speed/work ethic of Hutchinson is on record. The kid is a monster who should only be getting started. Join is a tweener from what I have seen. He weighs about 250 which is LB size. Ran a 4.5 (not bad) and is good in coverage.

Hutchinson is 260+ at 6' 7" and is a workout warrior and studies film. He is not as good in coverage due to his size (see JJ Watt like). He is more of a bull with more strength on the DL. He ran a 4.7, for a DE not bad.

Neither is a bad prospect at all. It just seems that Johnson might not have as high a ceiling as Hutchinson at DE. And Johnson probably won't be as good unless he can add some bulk and strength at DE. At OLB, I think Johnson would be amazing. Similar to OLBs like Von Miller or Derrick Thomas. He needs to be careful about weight it could slow him down in the NFL. Allow him to play OLB and he could be a star. Much like at DE Hutchinson has ever trait to be like Watt or a Bosa. I have watched some film on both and that's why I think they really need Johnson to be an OLB.

There's a strong chance Johnson will be there at #13 - either him or Davis. Botoh, there's also a chance Texans will trade out of that spot.

Honestly I like JJ better than both Hutch and Tib. I’d rather just get Sauce at 3 then hope JJ is there at 13. He plays the run really well and will be on the field a ton more than the other 2 to me.

Why would Johnson (who I in fact quite like) be in the field 'a ton' more than Hutchinson?

Reactions: JB
Johnson is a great player. But, the size/speed/work ethic of Hutchinson is on record. The kid is a monster who should only be getting started. Join is a tweener from what I have seen. He weighs about 250 which is LB size. Ran a 4.5 (not bad) and is good in coverage.

Hutchinson is 260+ at 6' 7" and is a workout warrior and studies film. He is not as good in coverage due to his size (see JJ Watt like). He is more of a bull with more strength on the DL. He ran a 4.7, for a DE not bad.

Neither is a bad prospect at all. It just seems that Johnson might not have as high a ceiling as Hutchinson at DE. And Johnson probably won't be as good unless he can add some bulk and strength at DE. At OLB, I think Johnson would be amazing. Similar to OLBs like Von Miller or Derrick Thomas. He needs to be careful about weight it could slow him down in the NFL. Allow him to play OLB and he could be a star. Much like at DE Hutchinson has ever trait to be like Watt or a Bosa. I have watched some film on both and that's why I think they really need Johnson to be an OLB.
I agree, just thinking Hutchinson and Walker go one two. In this case would I consider J J for our #3? And I'm considering it. He would play the weak side opposite Greenard.

Johnson maybe is better compared to Thibodeaux. About the same size wise and offhand would say he outplayed. So at #3, with Hutchinson and Walker going one two, would I take Johnson over Thib. And I think I would.

I like Anderson, I think LLoyd is more polished and natural right now. That doesn't mean Anderson is any less. I do like the fact Anderson played qb. hell, he might be the best te on the roster lol
I agree Lloyd may be more NFL ready right off the bat. I'd likely start Anderson at SAM, easily beating out Wallow, and transition him to MIKE after a year or two. I don't know if I'm drinking too much koolaid, but I'm comparing Anderson to Brian Cushing.

Not bad as a RB. Had 353 yds on 49 attempts ( 7.2 ypc) and 7 TD's. (edit) Don't understand what these stats refer to, rb or qb. Maybe a single game record???

(edit) Dived a little deeper into Anderson as a QB. (I believe most of the stats were compiled in 2018) Rushing TD's: 21...Yards per Rush: 6.89...100 yd games: 9...rushing yards: 1,412. It appears his stint as a RB was in 2017 as a freshman.

Last edited:
I like Anderson, I think LLoyd is more polished and natural right now. That doesn't mean Anderson is any less. I do like the fact Anderson played qb. hell, he might be the best te on the roster lol
Also count me in on Anderson, a very intriguing prospect but of course I have no idea what Caserio thinks of him
which is all that really matters ?

At 13 we could get a JJ type. Issue is a DB at 3 with as deep as the draft is for a good DB is not smart. We could easily get one at 37 too, which I have seen many people mocking us to do. As for a JJ type

OR

OR if we get lucky...but many have him gone top 4-8...

Why would Johnson (who I in fact quite like) be in the field 'a ton' more than Hutchinson?
I think he’s a better player, will adapt quicker to the pro game in obvious run downs and is a more complete player as an NFL prospect. I don’t think Hutchinson will be good as fast. Just my opinion.

At 13 we could get a JJ type. Issue is a DB at 3 with as deep as the draft is for a good DB is not smart. We could easily get one at 37 too, which I have seen many people mocking us to do. As for a JJ type

OR

OR if we get lucky...but many have him gone top 4-8...

I like all of those guys at 13 except Karlaftis.
I like Mafe and Ojabo at 37 too.

I think he’s a better player, will adapt quicker to the pro game in obvious run downs and is a more complete player as an NFL prospect. I don’t think Hutchinson will be good as fast. Just my opinion.

No argument in regard to Johnson's run defense being a step ahead of Hutch's. That said Hutch ain't exactly a liability in that regard, while his pass rush repertoire is currently more than a step ahead of Jermaine's. In fact I think from watching them play it will probably take a min for Johnson to be as effective as Hutch vs the pass skill-wise.

I just don't see where either of these guys are left off the field on 1st or 2nd down, particularly as top 15 or so picks overall. I think both of them play early and often wherever they land.

Very interesting:

2022 NFL DRAFT - NO. 3 OVERALL PICK ODDS
Ikem Ekwonu +200
Evan Neal +350
Ahmad Gardner +400
Travon Walker +600
Kayvon Thibodeaux +650
Derek Stingley, Jr. +1000
Kyle Hamilton +1200
Aidan Hutchinson +2000
Malik Willis +2000
Kenny Pickett +2500
Charles Cross +2500
Jermaine Johnson II +2500
Drake London +10000
Nakobe Dean +10000
Sam Howell +10000
Garrett Wilson +10000
Desmond Ridder +10000
Chris Olave +10000
Jordan Davis +10000
Trevor Penning +10000
George Karlaftis +10000
Matt Corral +10000
Zion Johnson +20000
Carson Strong +20000
Kalir Elam +20000
Tyler Linderbaum +20000
Jameson Williams +20000
DeMarvin Leal +20000
Kenny Green +20000

2022 NFL DRAFT - FIRST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN PICK ODDS
Ikem Ekwonu -190
Evan Neal +150
Charles Cross +1000
Trevor Penning +2000
Tyler Linderbaum +2500
Zion Johnson +10000
Max Mitchell +10000
Tyler Smith +10000
Kenyon Green +10000
Darian Kinnard +10000
Abraham Lucas +10000
Dylan Parham +10000
Bernhard Raimann +10000
Kellen Disch +10000
Jamaree Salyer +10000

Why not Karlaftis?
In 2021 Karlaftis started 12 games. He only had 39 tackles. Johnson had 70 in his 12 starts. He had 8 QB hurries. Johnson, 12. He had 4.5 sacks. Johnson, 11.5.

Ojabo is just as bad. In his 2021, 14 starts, he only had 35 tackles, 8 QB hurries, although he did have 11 sacks. But be's a one year "wonder". In 2020 he played in 6 games, had 1 tackle, zero QB hurries and zero sacks.

In 2021 Karlaftis started 12 games. He only had 39 tackles. Johnson had 70 in his 12 starts. He had 8 QB hurries. Johnson, 12. He had 4.5 sacks. Johnson, 11.5.

Ojabo is just as bad. In his 2021, 14 starts, he only had 35 tackles, 8 QB hurries, although he did have 11 sacks. But be's a one year "wonder". In 2020 he played in 6 games, had 1 tackle, zero QB hurries and zero sacks.

So how much stock do you put into production versus observable, transferable traits?

I agree, just thinking Hutchinson and Walker go one two. In this case would I consider J J for our #3? And I'm considering it. He would play the weak side opposite Greenard.

I think an OL, probably Neal is taken at 1 or 2. Making the question what DE is there when 3 comes around? Tib, Hutchinson, Walker? Seeing I see JJ as an OLB I would go, in this order.

1-3: Hutchinson/Walker one is going to be there

1-13: JJ (don't think he will go top 10)/ DB/Karlaftis/DT

Yes, I would double dip on pass rushers. The reason is a great front 7 helps the 4 or 5.

No argument in regard to Johnson's run defense being a step ahead of Hutch's. That said Hutch ain't exactly a liability in that regard, while his pass rush repertoire is currently more than a step ahead of Jermaine's. In fact I think from watching them play it will probably take a min for Johnson to be as effective as Hutch vs the pass skill-wise.

I just don't see where either of these guys are left off the field on 1st or 2nd down, particularly as top 15 or so picks overall. I think both of them play early and often wherever they land.
I agree, only I think Hutch will take a year to be the total package where I actually think JJ will not and be an immediate impact player wherever he goes.
As you said, they are both closely matched though.

Yeah, it’s nothing huge with him but the productions kinda a concern. I know other players have panned out with similar numbers but I’m just not high on him at 13.

I agree, only I think Hutch will take a year to be the total package where I actually think JJ will not and be an immediate impact player wherever he goes.
As you said, they are both closely matched though.

I don't think we really agree there though if you think Johnson will be the 'total package' immediately, or even before Hutch.

It's all good though.

So how much stock do you put into production versus observable, transferable traits?
Well, I don't personally evaluate film. I have a go-to professional service I've used for years. Of the two, Karlaftis grades out better as a mid-round prospect. Ojabo needs some development and projects to the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd.

I wouldn't take either at #3. I might consider Johnson at that pick. I haven't changed my position on #13. I want OG Green with that selection, though I'm hoping to trade down, no more than seven picks.

Maybe QB’s are not 10 worthy but when has that ever stopped a team from selecting one?

More layers of intrigue this draft than any in history given flux in free agency, players demanding trades (Watson was the catalyst) Vegas/Hollywood prime time media ratings monster and event planning bonanza. For once, what happens in Vegas won’t stay in Vegas!

Plus the extra Covid guys in this draft.

Wilson was a pure passer coming out of Wisconsin. He had a 72% completion % and averaged 12 yards/completion. Threw for 33 TDs & 4 INTs as a Senior. Wilson ran for nearly 400 yards, but was always a pass first QB.

Willis is more like Lamar Jackson lite. Jackson makes it work, because he is a special, special athlete. I don't see that type of athlete in Willis. Maybe Jalen Hurts with a stronger arm. Jackson went #32 in 2018. Hurts went #53 in 2020. Both played at a higher level of competition in college than Willis.

Better than Hurts, not as good as LJ.

I'm going to go old school and say the most likely outcome for Willis is Joe Ferguson.

Better than Hurts, not as good as LJ.

I'm going to go old school and say the most likely outcome for Willis is Joe Ferguson.
Joe Ferguson? Wasn't he a pocket passer? Both guys have/had plus arms.

Hurts takes a backseat to most NFL QBs in terms of arm strength and accuracy. But he has leadership in spades. Hurts finds a way. I don't know if I can put Willis in that category. With Willis' tools and Hurts intangibles, I'd take that guy #1 overall.

I want to remind everyone that "QB Hurries" or pressures is not an official stat tabulated by the NCAA. They are either self reported stats by team statisticians or maybe from an outside scouting source, such as PFF. There are no specific criteria to tabulate the stat. Pretty useless, if you ask me.

I look at sacks, forced fumbles and tackles for loss (TFL). Is the defender creating havoc? Is he disrupting the offense in a real and tangible way? It's not the only thing I look at, but it's where I start.

Joe Ferguson? Wasn't he a pocket passer? Both guys have/had plus arms.

Hurts takes a backseat to most NFL QBs in terms of arm strength and accuracy. But he has leadership in spades. Hurts finds a way. I don't know if I can put Willis in that category. With Willis' tools and Hurts intangibles, I'd take that guy #1 overall.

He was a running QB in college who had to learn how to become a pocket passer. In those days almost everybody save for Staubach/Tarkenton and Bobby Douglas were pocket passers and they had to learn how to throw from the pocket. The rule changes that protect the QB's are what have lead to the running QB's. They never would've survived back when real football was being played. Unlike God'ells bastardized version that we watch today.

He was a running QB in college who had to learn how to become a pocket passer
Ferguson ran for -2 yards in his career at Arkansas. They ran a power I during his days in Fayetteville. They didn't return to the option until after he graduated. Maybe you're thinking of Steve Grogan?

I agree Lloyd may be more NFL ready right off the bat. I'd likely start Anderson at SAM, easily beating out Wallow, and transition him to MIKE after a year or two. I don't know if I'm drinking too much koolaid, but I'm comparing Anderson to Brian Cushing.

Not bad as a RB. Had 353 yds on 49 attempts ( 7.2 ypc) and 7 TD's. (edit) Don't understand what these stats refer to, rb or qb. Maybe a single game record???

(edit) Dived a little deeper into Anderson as a QB. (I believe most of the stats were compiled in 2018) Rushing TD's: 21...Yards per Rush: 6.89...100 yd games: 9...rushing yards: 1,412. It appears his stint as a RB was in 2017 as a freshman.
Troy Anderson LB, Montana State, 6-3 ½, 243 (4.42)

A unique athletic profile that includes prep state titles in the 100- and 200-meter dashes, first-team All-Big Sky Conference quarterback his sophomore season and Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year last season with 150 tackles. Andersen had the rare combination of a sack and 102 rushing yards with two touchdowns during the same game in 2019.
The more I read about Andersen the more I like him, and the more impressed I am.
All-Conference QB one year and Conference defensive player of the year another. OK I know we aren't talking about the SEC here, as the Big-Sky is a 2nd if not third tier level conference but so what this guys athletic ability and versatility is off of the chart !
Speaking of charts I think Anderson could hold down maybe three different positions simultaneously on the Texans' Depth Chart:
#3 QB, special teams, LB. If this is Brian Cushing redux, it's Cushing faster than he ever dreamed of being.
This guy ranks him as the 75th best player in the 2022 Draft so if he's correct Anderson probably goes somewhere in the early third round.

If this is Brian Cushing redux, it's Cushing faster than he ever dreamed of being.
I think Andersen is a heck of a prospect. A ton of potential. But where are these Cushing comps coming from? When has Andersen ever looked like Brian Cushing? 2009 Cushing would have been hands down the #1 LB in this class, and probably a top 10 pick. Way over the top here.

Not sure I like this draft. Minus the 1st 2 picks it's a development draft IMO. Thoughts?

Plenty of help up and down this list - it's a strong draft so I am not too concerned. We have two firsts for the next two drafts after this one so Texans have a real shot at making some noise in a few seasons.
Hamilton is a premier talent so if we get him at #13, that would be awesome.

I think Andersen is a heck of a prospect. A ton of potential. But where are these Cushing comps coming from? When has Andersen ever looked like Brian Cushing? 2009 Cushing would have been hands down the #1 LB in this class, and probably a top 10 pick. Way over the top here.
I'm puzzled why all of the indignation for the love some of us have for the young man from Montana ?
Ok maybe it's in part for me because I've personally had the great pleasure of visiting Andersen's hometown of Dillon numerous times while fly fishing in the Beaverhed river, a really pretty little "tail-water" trout stream that runs thru Andersen's home town.
Th comparison to Cushing is obvious because they play the same position and they are approximately of the same size and dimensions, both known for their work ethic and intensity. And yea that's right, they are both white dudes.

2022 NFL mock draft 4.0

By Brooks Kubena | April 23, 2022 | Updated: April 23, 2022 10:45 AM
The NFL draft is less than a week away, with the first round April 28.

For the first time since 2019, the Texans will be drafting in the first round, with picks at No. 3 and No. 13 after the Deshaun Watson trade.

In his fourth mock draft, Texans writer Brooks Kubena projects this year's first round.

1. JACKSONVILLE
Travon Walker, Georgia, DE
Comment: Jaguars GM Trent Baalke has a history of selecting the athletic freak over the “sure thing” prospect, which is why we’ve had Jacksonville taking Travon Walker since our first mock draft. This is still the top choice from a very deep group of edge rushers. Walker’s 6-5, 272-pound frame, his impressive NFL combine workout and schematic versatility as both a pass-rusher and a run-stopper add up to an upside that makes him the favorite here.

2. DETROIT
Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan, DE
Comment: Nope, still don’t see the Lions passing on a potential home state hero. Hutchinson’s 16½ tackles for loss and 14 sacks in 2021 had him finish as the Heisman runner-up, and we still think he could potentially go No. 1 overall. If he does, Detroit would be taking an unnecessary risk selecting a quarterback over the second available pass rusher. Their lacks run deeper than Jared Goff, who played consistent enough last season.

3. HOUSTON
Ikem Ekwonu, North Carolina State, OT
Comment: GM Nick Caserio discussed versatility in general on Thursday, saying just because one player fulfilled multiple roles for his college team, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be able to do the same in Houston’s scheme. Even if Ekwonu’s time at guard in North Carolina State’s offense doesn’t completely translate to the Texans, his prowess as a run-blocker still makes him an elite option at offensive tackle. The Texans must fix their run-game issues, and selecting an O-lineman also invests in second-year quarterback Davis Mills and newly promoted offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton.

4. N.Y. JETS
Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon, DE
Comment: We’ve gone cornerback the last two weeks here, both with Ahmad Gardner and Derek Stingley. Both players could still be selected here, but it shouldn’t be discounted that the defensive minded Robert Saleh would value a premier pass rusher for his front. Thibodeaux, a unanimous All-American, is one of the top talents in this draft despite falling due to reported questions about his hustle.
5. N.Y. GIANTS
Evan Neal, Alabama, OT
Comment: Giants co-owner John Mara said they’ve done “everything possible” to “screw up” their No. 6 overall pick in 2019, quarterback Daniel Jones, and we still think it’s a no-brainer to invest in protecting him after getting sacked 105 times in three seasons. Neal is the remaining top offensive lineman in this situation, but if Ekwonu were available, expect him in New York, too.

6. CAROLINA
Malik Willis, Liberty, QB
Comment: Panthers coach Matt Rhule is on the hot seat in Year 3 and by picking Willis, he attempts to stop the franchise’s quarterback carousel. Carolina also swung and missed at trying to land former Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson in a potential trade. That would’ve cost them at least three first-round picks. They get Willis with just one.

7. N.Y. GIANTS (FROM CHICAGO)
Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, Cincinnati, CB
Comment: Newly hired Giants general manager Joe Schoen supplied the offense with a core lineman at No. 5. Now, he gets a potential lockdown corner at No. 7 in Gardner, who some still consider the top cornerback in the draft. Schoen says he’s not closing the door on keeping Pro Bowler James Bradberry, which could influence whether the Giants pick a corner here. But the 6-2, 190-pound Cincinnati star could still give New York another lengthy defender on the perimeter.

8. ATLANTA
Kenny Pickett, Pitt, QB
Comment: The draft’s run on quarterbacks has begun. The rebuilding Falcons could be desperate enough to leap the Panthers so they can select their top choice at quarterback. But Caserio said Thursday he expects few teams will be willing to trade up to No. 3. Maybe Atlanta is one of those few. The Falcons hold two second-round picks and two third-round picks.

9. SEATTLE (FROM DENVER)
Charles Cross, Mississippi State, OT
Comment: The rebuilding Seahawks need to think about drafting cornerstones. And coach Pete Carroll may decide he’s content at quarterback after signing Geno Smith in the wake of their franchise-resetting trade of quarterback Russell Wilson to the Broncos. They don’t immediately need to start chasing a new quarterback, especially in a draft that isn’t deep at the position. It makes more sense to pick an offensive tackle who can protect Smith or Drew Lock, brace for a spotty 2022, then be in position to use some of the Wilson draft capital to select a QB in a deep 2023.

10. N.Y. JETS (FROM SEATTLE)
Garrett Wilson, Ohio State, WR
Comment: The Jets secured a cornerback to bolster the back end of their defense, and now they’ll equip quarterback Zach Wilson with the go-to target that he needs at wide receiver. New York addressed the need in the second round last year with Ole Miss receiver Elijah Moore, and they’ll add the speedy Wilson (4.38 at the NFL combine) to boost offensive productivity.

11. WASHINGTON
Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame, S
Comment: It will be tough for Washington GM Martin Mayhew to deny his defensive-minded coach, Ron Rivera, the opportunity to create a havoc-forcing unit that maximizes former No. 2 overall pick Chase Young’s impact by adding a playmaker like Kyle Hamilton on the back end. The 6-4, 220-pound safety is a versatile defensive back that Rivera, a Lovie Smith disciple, can use in multiple ways.

12. MINNESOTA
Derek Stingley Jr., LSU, CB
Comment: If Stingley falls this far, it’d be a surprise. There may be a team that’d be willing to trade up to pick the former All-American. Maybe the Texans are that team. His season-ending Lisfranc surgery in 2021 is less of a concern since he posted a 4.37 at LSU’s pro day, and the Vikings, which need a cornerback, could pair Stingley with fellow LSU alumnus Patrick Peterson.

13. HOUSTON (FROM CLEVELAND)
Jameson Williams, Alabama, WR
Comment: Caserio provided a little insight into the Texans’ thinking when it comes to injured draft picks like Williams, who suffered a torn ACL in January’s national championship game. “You’re worried about this year,” he said, but clarified part of his job is to “worry about the long-term position of the franchise and try to put ourselves in the best position possible.” The electric Williams would add another explosive option beyond Brandin Cooks, whose 134 targets more than doubled anyone else on the roster last season, and could elevate a vertical passing game that was all too lacking in 2021. Other teams might be interested in trading up for Williams, too.

14. BALTIMORE
Jermaine Johnson, Florida State, DE

15. PHILADELPHIA (FROM MIAMI)
Jordan Davis, Georgia, DT

16. NEW ORLEANS (FROM INDIANAPOLIS VIA PHILADELPHIA)
Chris Olave, Ohio State, WR

17. L.A. CHARGERS
Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa, OT

18. PHILADELPHIA (FROM NEW ORLEANS)
Drake London, USC, WR

19. NEW ORLEANS (FROM PHILADELPHIA)
Devin Lloyd, Utah, LB

20. PITTSBURGH
Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati, QB

21. NEW ENGLAND
Trent McDuffie, Washington, CB

22. GREEN BAY (FROM LAS VEGAS)
Treylon Burks, Arkansas, WR

23. ARIZONA
George Karlaftis, Purdue, DE

24. DALLAS
Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa, C

25. BUFFALO
Devonte Wyatt, Georgia, DT

26. TENNESSEE
Zion Johnson, Boston College, OG

27. TAMPA BAY
Kenyon Green, Texas A&M, OG

28. GREEN BAY
Travis Jones, Connecticut, DT

29. KANSAS CITY (FROM SAN FRANCISCO VIA MIAMI)
Daxton Hill, Michigan, S

30. KANSAS CITY
Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State, DE

31. CINCINNATI
Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan, OL

32. DETROIT (FROM L.A. RAMS)
Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State
Photos: Associated Press, Getty Images

Because he is more an OLB than a DE. In a Tampa 2 he would have more to learn. Hutchinson is a plug and play for the most part. Walker is an amazing athletic specimen. He ran a 3 cone faster than many WRs! His vertical, wingspan and strength are not human. Problems are that he is not good with his hands and rush moves. He literally has been getting by on his natural gifts alone.

Plenty of help up and down this list - it's a strong draft so I am not too concerned. We have two firsts for the next two drafts after this one so Texans have a real shot at making some noise in a few seasons.
Hamilton is a premier talent so if we get him at #13, that would be awesome.
Hamilton is listed in Vegas betting odds as going to the Jets at 4 or lasts till 10#

Troy Anderson LB, Montana State, 6-3 ½, 243 (4.42)

A unique athletic profile that includes prep state titles in the 100- and 200-meter dashes, first-team All-Big Sky Conference quarterback his sophomore season and Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year last season with 150 tackles. Andersen had the rare combination of a sack and 102 rushing yards with two touchdowns during the same game in 2019.
The more I read about Andersen the more I like him, and the more impressed I am.
All-Conference QB one year and Conference defensive player of the year another. OK I know we aren't talking about the SEC here, as the Big-Sky is a 2nd if not third tier level conference but so what this guys athletic ability and versatility is off of the chart !
Speaking of charts I think Anderson could hold down maybe three different positions simultaneously on the Texans' Depth Chart:
#3 QB, special teams, LB. If this is Brian Cushing redux, it's Cushing faster than he ever dreamed of being.
This guy ranks him as the 75th best player in the 2022 Draft so if he's correct Anderson probably goes somewhere in the early third round.

Good player...on the 2nd day. 1st round abilities maybe but OL, Edge and a few DBs are going 1st round. And I am feeling very good about saying 3-4 QBs. Too early for any of them but once 1 is taken the top ones will be picked up fast. AKA all of this list and then pick 33...

I've been looking at various updated big boards. This draft is a nightmare for ranking players. Some high ranking players, like Travon Walker ( between 7 and 12); Jermaine Johnson (between 9 and 32); Kenyon Green (between 17 and 39).

Troy Anderson (between 51 and 111). The OG Jamaree Salyer (between 66 and 93). Darian Kinnard (between 48 and 110). The WR Alec Pierce (between 25 and 119). RB James Cook (between 60 and 101). FS Nick Cross (between 61 and 97). RB Zamir White (between 58 and 138)

You like a player. Slot him into your overall plan. You can't go wrong or overdraft. There's very little, if any, agreement on where any particular player should be taken.

Back