Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

I'm taking the OL/secondary guys. But I'm hoping to pick

1-3 Neal
1-13 Johnson

Give me a talented edge
I am fine with this. I would like to trade out of 13 pick up Kenyon Green, a WR and Breece Hall. Then defense the rest of the way. If I knew I could get that trade back I would use 3 on the Defensive line/edge. I am also good with Jelani Woods and Salyer. Sooooo many options!

That's why I am wondering if the Texans should take a D Lineman with 3 and then hopefully can trade back and pick up someone like McDuffie or Elam
I'm mocking Jermaine Johnson at #1/3, because I'm expecting Walker and Hutchinson to go one two to Jacksonville and Detroit.

The MIKE backer has zone coverage responsibility for the deep middle, so I'm mocking LB Troy Anderson in the 2nd. I've got a FS, Nick Cross, and a CB, Alontae Taylor, mocked with our two 4's. I've then got a SS, Bubba Bolden, and another CB, Josh Thompson, with our two 6's.

Anyone interested in Buckeyes WR Chris Olave? One of the best route-runners in college football, Olave is one of the most consistent downfield threats in the class. In total, 13 of his 65 catches ended in scores last season. Over 100 yards in 5 of 7 games as junior (2020) and TDs in 8 straight games (2021)................and no history of injuries of any consequence.

Anyone interested in Buckeyes WR Chris Olave? One of the best route-runners in college football, Olave is one of the most consistent downfield threats in the class. In total, 13 of his 65 catches ended in scores last season. Over 100 yards in 5 of 7 games as junior (2020) and TDs in 8 straight games (2021)................and no history of injuries of any consequence.

Good player, but offers no run after catch.

I think he goes in the 1st, but 1-13 is way too high for him. IMHO

Very interested. In my first mock I had him at 37. But he will be gone way before then.

Well, you know, he's just recently finished off-season rehab and has yet to actually play a game since his Lisfranc injury..
How did Stingley do in the covid shortened 2020 season? How did he play in the three games in 2021 before his lisfranc injury?

How did Stingley do in the covid shortened 2020 season? How did he play in the three games in 2021 before his lisfranc injury?

In 2020 his play toward the line of scrimmage improved as qbs targeted him far, far less than in 2019. The targets were something like 95 in '19 down to 35 in '20. So obviously his numbers dropped in the passing game as teams were terrified to throw his direction but they increased across the board against the run. And '21 was a mere 3 game sample size that was pretty par for the '20 course before the injury.

His play was so over the top impressive his freshman year it would be near impossible to equal or top it, for anyone. But he was still playing at a tip of the spear level after that with all time traits and solid to excellent measurables to boot.

Because this info drops the week of the draft, it reads more to me like pre-draft sabotage and jockeying to get this kid to slide down the board for someone to steal..similar to how the Tunsil smoke video caused him to slide a little. Apparently its a team outside of the top 5-10 who needs a tackle because the same thing is happening with Bernard Raimann.

On the radio this morning, Lance Zierlein said he had heard the Jags have settled on a defensive player. Lance still isn't sure, because HC Doug Pederson prefers Icky. This is a big decision that has ramifications to pick #3.
Do you really think Pederson prefers Icky or that Zierlein believes he does?

Maybe I am wrong on this. I probably am, but doesn't Lovie play a Cover 2 defense. The corners are primarily zone defenders.
I remember seeing a lot of CBs getting beat in man coverage last season.

To me, the Tampa 2 isn’t exclusive zone coverage. It’s just a pre-snap look. Better corners allow you to rotate those safeties any way you want.

Cover 2 turns into Robber, man under, 4 high, you name it. & it’s up to the QB to discern the rotation before Thibodeaux the edge rusher to get there.

I remember seeing a lot of CBs getting beat in man coverage last season.

To me, the Tampa 2 isn’t exclusive zone coverage. It’s just a pre-snap look. Better corners allow you to rotate those safeties any way you want.

Cover 2 turns into Robber, man under, 4 high, you name it. & it’s up to the QB to discern the rotation before Thibodeaux the edge rusher to get there.

You also need a LB that can run and cover the middle zone.

Even with the shortened 2020 season, it was noticeable that he had a drop in performance. No doubt he was not the same player in 2020 and 2021 as he was in 2019. Throw in the Lisfranc and your betting against the injury as well as that he was not actually close to a "1-hit wonder," then you're counting solely on the questionable hope that he can turn back time to 2019

1651026268904.png

Even with the shortened 2020 season, it was noticeable that he had a drop in performance. No doubt he was not the same player in 2020 and 2021 as he was in 2019. Throw in the Lisfranc and your betting against the injury as well as that he was not actually close to a "1-hit wonder," then you're counting solely on the questionable hope that he can turn back time to 2019

View attachment 10074
Yeah, I'm with you on this one with a lisfranc at a speed and cutting position. I wouldn't draft him anywhere in the 1st round honestly,but some teams are going to rely on their medical staff.

Guesstimation like everyone else
I agree.

Some people (not Lucky, but you know who) will read something like that & believe it's gospel. You can't tell them any different. Especially if it fits there agenda.

Knowing full well if it's out in the media pre-draft, it's a smokescreen. Like if Pederson or his agent actually leaked that, then you know for sure Pederson don't want Ickey.

That reminds me of one of those years everybody knew the Texans were going to finally go after a QB in the draft & it was "leaked" that the HC wanted some metrosexual model from Eastern Carolina.

Well anyone who follows the NFL knows that is the one guy the HC doesn't want. Can you imagine someone building a narrative that the Texans were actually targeting that guy & blaming the GM for missing out on him?

I mean, what kind of a person would do that?

Do you really think Pederson prefers Icky or that Zierlein believes he does?
I believe Pederson wants to fix the OL 1st and foremost.

Baalke is doing Baalke things. Another man that's bad at his job.
Pederson remembers what it was like to have a dominant O-line like he had in Philly. It's only common sense that he would want the same in JAX while developing Lawrence. There's no reason for the Jags to play subterfuge at #1.

Pederson remembers what it was like to have a dominant O-line like he had in Philly. It's only common sense that he would want the same in JAX while developing Lawrence. There's no reason for the Jags to play subterfuge at #1.
This draft will go sideways from the get go if Jags do go OL - and it is entirely possible.
I made that suggestion a little while back in the op of My final mock

Last edited:
From what I have been able to find out, x-rays have revealed the beginning signs of osteoarthritis in his hips and knees. This should be of no surprise with his history of weighing 380 lbs by 8th grade.

Being just 10 pounds overweight increases the force on your knees by 30 to 40 pounds with every step you take...........less so on the hips. Losing as little as 10 pounds can decrease the progression of your knee osteoarthritis by over 50 percent............and moreso for the hips.

The ideal weight for a "normal" 6' 7" person can be up to ~300 pounds. In an NFL OLineman like Neal, his extra 37 lbs or so can be mostly muscular...............with the extra muscle contributing to the stabilization of the hip and knee joints...........something that significantly lessens the potential for abnormal grinding movements at the joints.

Neal could probably stand to lose another 10 lbs, but reports like this of Neal are at this point more for preDraft scare than for real concern as long as Neal maintains careful control of his weight.

Latest TOP 150 from NFL.com
What catches my attention because of my focus and mocking OG's, they have Green at 17, so my mocking him at 13 is not out of place. Also, they have Kinnard at 48 who I dropped from my mock in favor of Salyer, who I mocked at 68. This board has Salyer at 92.

Perhaps my biggest overdraft, which I was aware of at the time of mocking, is LB Troy Anderson. This board has him in the 4th round at 111. I have him at 37. But I've seen him on other boards as high as the 50's.

35 hours to go.

Doesn't the first round have 10 minutes? So the first round will be running past midnight.

Last edited:
The ideal weight for a "normal" 6' 7" person can be up to ~300 pounds. In an NFL OLineman like Neal, his extra 37 lbs or so can be mostly muscular...............with the extra muscle contributing to the stabilization of the hip and knee joints...........something that significantly lessens the potential for abnormal grinding movements at the joints.
Do you know if they still test for body fat % at the combine? I think they dumped the player in a water tank and measured the water displacement. I haven't seen those numbers in a while. Maybe pandemic related?

Also, is there any statistical data regarding some teams being more or less wary of players with medical flags? It might be tough to track as organizations change so frequently.

I bet Baalke picks Walker.

Baalke is a politician and those kinds of guys are never successful with the on field product.

imo, there situation is similar to ours, except there is less question about LT in the near future.

I don't think the Texans should draft someone at 3 thinking they will need a LT if they can't retain Tunsil (franchise tag or whatever).

I think the Jags are in a better situation & LT shouldn't be on their radar.

I don't believe in drafting RT, Guard, or Center in the Top 5. Definitely not #1 overall.

I believe we (& Jacksonville) can "fix" the OL later in the draft.

But this is not about me. The question is do you believe Pederson told Lance that he prefers Evan Neal?

Can you think of a good reason Pederson would do so?

I bet Baalke picks Walker.

Baalke is a politician and those kinds of guys are never successful with the on field product.
I have no idea what the dynamic is between the Khan-Pederson-Baalke triangle. I thought the Jags were going LT from the jump. Then they franchised and kept their LT who should be playing OG. I think the Hutchinson rumors going #1 was an attempt to pry picks from the Lions. They didn't blink, so now it's Walker? It doesn't really matter whom you bring in, Jacksonville remains dysfunctional.

I am somewhat puzzled that Detroit never tossed anything to the Jags to ensure Hutch comes into the fold. Makes me wonder if there is some sentiment to taking Walker over Hutchinson. Just as I think there is no consensus 1st overall among NFL teams, there is also no consensus #1 inside NFL organizations.

Do you know if they still test for body fat % at the combine? I think they dumped the player in a water tank and measured the water displacement. I haven't seen those numbers in a while. Maybe pandemic related?

Also, is there any statistical data regarding some teams being more or less wary of players with medical flags? It might be tough to track as organizations change so frequently.
The Combine never really routinely performed water displacement, i.e., hydrodensitometry testing. That was done for the most part privately for players seeking it. BMI has been used, but has actually grossly overestimated a player's fat composition. Air displacement plethysmography is the technique used now. It has better precision than any other body composition test, including hydrodensitometry. It is the most accurate method for determining body fat percentage.

1651080259980.png

As far as the statistical data that you asked about re. teams' tendencies regarding medical red flags...........I'm not aware of any.

absolutely on my radar

I have no idea what the dynamic is between the Khan-Pederson-Baalke triangle. I thought the Jags were going LT from the jump. Then they franchised and kept their LT who should be playing OG. I think the Hutchinson rumors going #1 was an attempt to pry picks from the Lions. They didn't blink, so now it's Walker? It doesn't really matter whom you bring in, Jacksonville remains dysfunctional.

I am somewhat puzzled that Detroit never tossed anything to the Jags to ensure Hutch comes into the fold. Makes me wonder if there is some sentiment to taking Walker over Hutchinson. Just as I think there is no consensus 1st overall among NFL teams, there is also no consensus #1 inside NFL organizations.

I've read that Holmes really wants Thibs. But is getting pressure to take the local guy.

What catches my attention because of my focus and mocking OG's, they have Green at 17, so my mocking him at 13 is not out of place. Also, they have Kinnard at 48 who I dropped from my mock in favor of Salyer, who I mocked at 68. This board has Salyer at 92.

Perhaps my biggest overdraft, which I was aware of at the time of mocking, is LB Troy Anderson. This board has him in the 4th round at 111. I have him at 37. But I've seen him on other boards as high as the 50's.

35 hours to go.

Doesn't the first round have 10 minutes? So the first round will be running past midnight.
I cannot understand why salyer is projecting to third round. Any ideas?

I cannot understand why salyer is projecting to third round. Any ideas?
The only thing which seems to make sense is positional ranking. I just subscribed to OurLads and they pretty much agree with my other source. Two OG's carry a 1st round ranking, then no one in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd, Salyer ranks 3rd/4th.

Some negatives: lack of speed and quickness, top heavy, lack of natural bend, inaccurate hands, lacks athleticism, not good in space on the second level.

Back