Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Texans off season

This isn't FA my man. This is trades. He's made two excellent trades in Mixon and Diggs.

If you want to discuss the 2024 offseason more broadly, I'd still like a #2 corner and am not happy with the DT situation. BUT, adding in the two big trades, I am moving Nick's offseason from a B- to a B+. Good work so far overall.

Let's see what happens in the draft. They now have more flexibility so those two needs on D are likely to be addressed.
In another thread I suggested that LB Payton Wilson has the chops to flex into the Nickleback role. His coverage skills are graded as excellant, at least for a LB. And I have him with 4.43 speed.

What do you think?

In another thread I suggested that LB Payton Wilson has the chops to flex into the Nickleback role. His coverage skills are graded as excellant, at least for a LB. And I have him with 4.43 speed.

What do you think?
I don't a lb is going to be covering kelce, or slot wrs. That's why I don't think they're taking a lb that high.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB
I don't a lb is going to be covering kelce, or slot wrs. That's why I don't think they're taking a lb that high.

You think a CB is going to cover 6'5"/250 lb Kelce? Payton is 6'4"/233 lb. Kelce is listed as having 4.61 speed. So yes, Payton, with 4.43 speed, may match up better against Kelce and other TEs.

Slot receivers? Maybe not as much.

You think a CB is going to cover 6'5"/250 lb Kelce? Payton is 6'4"/233 lb. Kelce is listed as having 4.61 speed. So yes, Payton, with 4.43 speed, may match up better against Kelce and other TEs.

Slot receivers? Maybe not as much.
It's not a speed game. You saw what Kelce was doing to Fred Warne? It's that shake and wiggle. I'm sure alot of lbs can out run Andrew's too. Had they not signed Al Shaair, then I can see it, but they will only be in 3 lbs probably 35-40% of the time

It's not a speed game. You saw what Kelce was doing to Fred Warne? It's that shake and wiggle. I'm sure alot of lbs can out run Andrew's too. Had they not signed Al Shaair, then I can see it, but they will only be in 3 lbs probably 35-40% of the time
Having 3 fast LB's will allow all 3 to be on the field more often. I dont know if P. Wilson can cover Kelce 1 on 1, but I know he can cover most TE's 1 on 1 and that includes every TE in the AFC South. Well worth 2-42, but if Sweat or Fiske are there at 2-42 that would be my pick.

Imagine if Caserio was able to add Wright at RB at 3-86.

It would almost be unfair, like Achane on the Dolphins.
Bucky Irving could be this draft's Devon Achane as another option. He's not as fast as Wright, but is very elusive.
Isaac Guerendo is still on my radar too as well as Blake Corum.
On a side note, I see nfldraftbuzz has moved Wright up to the #2 spot on the RB list.

Last edited:
Having 3 fast LB's will allow all 3 to be on the field more often. I dont know if P. Wilson can cover Kelce 1 on 1, but I know he can cover most TE's 1 on 1 and that includes every TE in the AFC South. Well worth 2-42, but if Sweat or Fiske are there at 2-42 that would be my pick.
Nobody really plays 3 lbs unless they're a 3-4. I'm not against Wilson, I'm just saying that 42 is a premium pick for a guy playing 40% of the snaps

Reactions: JB
After the Stefon Diggs trade, the waters have cleared a lot.
Otoh, I am now thinking Texans have opened the door for another possibility - that of a Tackle for the right.
I suspect a big Dlineman or CB will be the first picks but after those, it may be an OT - nothing could be more important now than to keep our shiny QB safe.
It always makes sense to build the trenches.
The main needs now as I see them:-
DL (DT)
CB
LB
OT
RB
TE
EDGE

Last edited:
Bucky Irving could be this draft's Devon Achane as another option. He's not as fast as Wright, but is very elusive.
Isaac Guerendo is still on my radar too as well as Blake Corum.
On a side note, I see nfldraftbuzz has moved Wright up to the #2 spot on the RB list.
I would draft Guerrendo in the 4th over Wright in the 2nd, early 3rd . Of course I'm not a fan of this RB class and don't believe in drafting to the weaknesses of draft classes.

Nobody really plays 3 lbs unless they're a 3-4. I'm not against Wilson, I'm just saying that 42 is a premium pick for a guy playing 40% of the snaps

If healthy dudes a premium player.

Do you realize that Wilson runs faster than any S in this class. Covers as well or better than say Petrie and can also rush the passer. A top 15-20 player in this draft without his injury history. A true chess piece and has modeled his game after Kuechly. Yeah, give me this guy if Sweat and Fiske are gone.

I would draft Guerrendo in the 4th over Wright in the 2nd, early 3rd . Of course I'm not a fan of this RB class and don't believe in drafting to the weaknesses of draft classes.
I get it, but we need another option to compete with Pierce for the #2 back.
Ya never know, we might strike gold!
And I still think Corum is gonna be good.

Otoh, I am now thinking Texans have opened the door for another possibility - that of a Tackle for the right.
I suspect a big Dlineman or CB will be the first picks but after those, it may be an OT - nothing could be more important now than to keep our shiny QB safe.
DL
CB
LB
OT
RB
TE
EDGE

I’d specify DT over DL. The DE rotation is elite.

DL
CB
LB
OT
RB
TE
EDGE
I am thinking about Javon Foster from Missouri who can play left or right tackle extremely well in both run and pass blocking. If he's there in round 4, I would seriously consider him.

Do you realize that Wilson runs faster than any S in this class. Covers as well or better than say Petrie and can also rush the passer. A top 15-20 player in this draft without his injury history. A true chess piece and has modeled his game after Kuechly. Yeah, give me this guy if Sweat and Fiske are gone.
Can you tell me how fast devin white tested or Isaih Simmons? Fred Warner ran a 4.6 in the 40. 40 yd dash isn't a heavy weight in terms of lb. Urlacher also ran a 4.6 also. I'm just saying who are you taking off the field when teams go 3 wr and a te or are you going to stay base?

What about Edgerrin Cooper? I’m hearing some good things about him.
I like him and on Moving the Chaos mock draft today he went one pick before the Texans at 2-41 to the Packers. Guess who was the Texans pick at 2-42? Wilson, dude is that talented and certainly isn't a reach at 2-42. In fact he's the most talented player on the board and a top 15-20 guy without his injury history.

I was working and missed who pick 2-59 was but I'm pretty sure it was a safety, Kinchens? Another two great values in an amazing off-season. P. Wilson and Kinchens are long time starters. IMHO

This defense will look so good with 2 fast playmakers added to the backend. Give me a guy like Melton at 3-86 and if the draft fell this way this defense would be fast in the secondary and fast at LB along with really fast playmakers rushing the passer. The defense would be much improved.

was working and missed who pick 2-59 was but I'm pretty sure it was a safety, Kinchens? Another two great values in an amazing off-season. P. Wilson and Kinchens are long time starters. IMHO
Kinchens went to the Dolphins 4 picks earlier. Pat Kirwan went with the Hurricane's other Safety, James Williams. Terrible pick.

What about Edgerrin Cooper? I’m hearing some good things about him.
Just got my go-to draft analysis, DraftInsiders, this morning. P. Wilson is the top LB and is a Blue Chip. Edgerrin Cooper has moved up to #2 and is a Red Chip.

Wilson is projected as a 1st round bubble, top 40 prospect. Cooper is projected as a top 50 prospect.

The Texans need a LB who excells in coverage. Coopers biggest negative is that his coverage skills need development. Wilson is described as having safety-like skills in coverage, a high quality cover man capable of big nickle and other roles in sub packages; a 3 down backer.

Unless we move up, It is unlikely Wilson be on the board at 42.

Just below Cooper is Cedric Gray, who is described as having highly developed coverage skills and NFL ready nickle backer who can cover in sub packages and a 3 down fixture.

If the Texans need a cover LB, Gray may be there at 2/59.

I enjoyed reviewing information on college players for this draft. Some still have Payton Wilson at 42 and Edgerrin Cooper around 49. Studying mocks that I have used for years, I don't see anyone in our 42 to 59 range that needs linebackers. I am for now keeping 42 open for another position and 59 taking one of those guys.

Just got my go-to draft analysis, DraftInsiders, this morning. P. Wilson is the top LB and is a Blue Chip. Edgerrin Cooper has moved up to #2 and is a Red Chip.

Wilson is projected as a 1st round bubble, top 40 prospect. Cooper is projected as a top 50 prospect.

The Texans need a LB who excells in coverage. Coopers biggest negative is that his coverage skills need development. Wilson is described as having safety-like skills in coverage, a high quality cover man capable of big nickle and other roles in sub packages; a 3 down backer.

Unless we move up, It is unlikely Wilson be on the board at 42.

Just below Cooper is Cedric Gray, who is described as having highly developed coverage skills and NFL ready nickle backer who can cover in sub packages and a 3 down fixture.

If the Texans need a cover LB, Gray may be there at 2/59.
Has anyone heard if Wilson’s medicals turned out okay?

Has anyone heard if Wilson’s medicals turned out okay?
Wilson is 2 years out from his shoulder injury and 4 years out from his ACL. He started 12 games last season with 715 snaps. I'm guessing his medicals are not an issue. If they were he would not be projected as high as he is.
I saw a post by Wilson two to three weeks ago iirc, stating his Medicals went much faster than even he expected. Found nothing to be concerned about.

I enjoyed reviewing information on college players for this draft. Some still have Payton Wilson at 42 and Edgerrin Cooper around 49. Studying mocks that I have used for years, I don't see anyone in our 42 to 59 range that needs linebackers. I am for now keeping 42 open for another position and 59 taking one of those guys.
Anyone bottom of first, top of second, needing LBs. Might Wilson drop to us at 42?

Ideal draft for me is for Wilson to be there at 42 and Sweat to be there at 59.

Anyone bottom of first, top of second, needing LBs. Might Wilson drop to us at 42?

I do not think Wilson will be in the top 40 pics based on the concern of other teams for his history of injuries. We could take him or Cooper at 42 but Nick has shown the patience and fox skills of predicting what other teams are going to do. I also think that he will go with fatukasi at DT with a late-round backup like the ones I posted from Northern Iowa Christian Boyd and Alabama's Eboigbe.

I am still leaning a wide receiver 2.42 in either Xavier Worthy or Xavier Legette

I do not think Wilson will be in the top 40 pics based on the concern of other teams for his history of injuries. We could take him or Cooper at 42 but Nick has shown the patience and fox skills of predicting what other teams are going to do. I also think that he will go with fatukasi at DT with a late-round backup like the ones I posted from Northern Iowa Christian Boyd and Alabama's Eboigbe.

I am still leaning a wide receiver 2.42 in either Xavier Worthy or Xavier Legette
I like Boyd in the 4th, but I see he hasn't had a visit with the Texans.

Fatukasi is a rotational player. Had 415 snaps in 16 games. Conditioning is a concern for Sweat. Pairing Fatukasi with Sweat would be ideal. But spending such a high pick on a rotational role is certainly not typical. Boyd would be more logical. Sweat only makes sense if looking long term you see Sweat as a future Pro Bowler.

With Diggs being a 1 year rental, I could see them going WR with their second 2nd or 3rd round pick. But I could also see them waiting until day 3.

Does anyone think Metchie will be on the trade block during the draft? I could see it both ways, keeping him or sending him to a new environment.

Not gonna happen, however this would be perfect for completing the front 7 rebuild.

Fatukasi is a rotational player. Had 415 snaps in 16 games. Conditioning is a concern for Sweat. Pairing Fatukasi with Sweat would be ideal. But spending such a high pick on a rotational role is certainly not typical. Boyd would be more logical. Sweat only makes sense if looking long term you see Sweat as a future Pro Bowler.
I see Sweat like I saw him at UT. He made it almost impossible to run up the middle. He and Murphy controlled the LOS for the most part. Sweat also played a lot of snaps for such a large man, stamina wasn't an issue.

Not gonna happen, however this would be perfect for completing the front 7 rebuild.
You're probably gonna have to take Sweat at #42
and Wilson will likely be gone by #59. This where a trade could happen if they want Wilson.
However, Cedric Gray is another nice option at LB.
Besides, you may even have to move up near the top of R2 to make sure you get Sweat.

You're probably gonna have to take Sweat at #42
and Wilson will likely be gone by #59. This where a trade could happen if they want Wilson.
However, Cedric Gray is another nice option at LB.
Besides, you may even have to move up near the top of R2 to make sure you get Sweat.
I dont think Sweat is going to be there at 2-42. If Sweat and P. Wilson were both on the board at 2-42 I would have a hard time choosing between them and would probably trade future picks and try to get them both. But Sweat/Gray or Magee wold work too.

DL (DT)
CB
LB
OT
RB
TE
EDGE
The OTs that they’ve met with have all been day 3 prospects except for the Yale guy, but it could be a smokescreen. Which RT would you be looking at on day 2?

My remaining wish list in order of preference by position:-
T'Vondre Sweat DL
JerZhan Newton DL
Leonard Taylor DL
Kingsley Suamataia OT
Patrick Paul OT
Travis Glover OT
Junior Colson LB
Payton Wilson LB
Cedric Gray LB
Kamari Lassiter CB
Kalen King CB
Mike Sainristil CB
Tyler Nubin S
Tykee Smith S
James Williams S
Blake Corum RB
Isaac Guerendo RB
Marshawn Lloyd RB
Tip Reiman TE
Jaheim Bell TE
AJ Barner TE
If I can get four or five of these from each of these position groups, I would be pretty excited about that rookie class.

My remaining wish list in order of preference by position:-
T'Vondre Sweat DL
JerZhan Newton DL
Leonard Taylor DL
Kingsley Suamataia OT
Patrick Paul OT
Travis Glover OT
Junior Colson LB
Payton Wilson LB
Cedric Gray LB
Kamari Lassiter CB
Kalen King CB
Mike Sainristil CB
Tyler Nubin S
Tykee Smith S
James Williams S
Blake Corum RB
Isaac Guerendo RB
Marshawn Lloyd RB
Tip Reiman TE
Jaheim Bell TE
AJ Barner TE
If I can get four or five of these from each of these position groups, I would be pretty excited about that rookie class.
I like your idea of the wish list. Here’s mine (Although not always in order of preference)

Jer’Zhan Newton DT
Braden Fiske DT
Michael Hall Jr
Kris Jenkins DT

Mike Sainristil CB
Quantez Stiggers CB
Renardo Green CB
Elijah Jones CB

Tyler Nubin S
Tykee Smith S
Cole Bishop S
Malik Mustapha S

Christian Jones OT
Matt Gonclaves OT
Walter Rouse OT
Nathanial Thomas OT

Junior Colson LB
Nathanial Watson LB
Jordan Magee LB
Edefuan Ulofoshio LB

Ben Sinnott TE
Jared Wiley TE
Zach Heins TE

Gabriel Murphy Edge
Brennan Jackson Edge

Isaiah Davis RB
Rasheen Ali RB

Josh Cephus WR
Luke McCaffrey WR

Last edited:
I like your idea of the wish list. Here’s mine (Although not always in order of preference)

Jer’Zhan Newton DT
Braden Fiske DT
Michael Hall Jr
Kris Jenkins DT

Mike Sainristil CB
Quantez Stiggers CB
Renardo Green CB
Elijah Jones CB

Tyler Nubin S
Tykee Smith S
Cole Bishop S
Malik Mustapha S

Christian Jones OT
Matt Gonclaves OT
Walter Rouse OT
Nathania

Junior Colson LB
Nathanial Watson LB
Jordan Magee LB
Edefuan Ulofoshio LB

Ben Sinnott TE
Jared Wiley TE
Zach Heins TE

Gabriel Murphy Edge
Brennan Jackson Edge

Isaiah Davis RB
Rasheen Ali RB

Josh Cephus WR
Luke McCaffrey WR
This is very close to my list.

He apparently is not a very good run blocker so why the interest?

I disagree. He is plenty athletic and i’ve seen enough footage of him winning in the run game with a mean streak I would like to see added to the OL. He’s a 1st round talent but will probably fall to the early 2nd due to the strength of the class. Has been a quality starter at both tackle positions for BYU.

I disagree. He is plenty athletic and i’ve seen enough footage of him winning in the run game with a mean streak I would like to see added to the OL. He’s a 1st round talent but will probably fall to the early 2nd due to the strength of the class. Has been a quality starter at both tackle positions for BYU.
Well if we do get him I hope he turns out like his cousin Sewell who I really like coming out of college. Penei did very well at right tackle with the Lions in 2023.

Back