Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Free Agency

Two positions I want addressed in free agency: RB and safety.

RB: I have posted about this being the most important position to address this offseason. The offense needs a difference making bell cow to reach its potential (See 49ers). This FA class of RBs is the strongest in recent memory. You have three players who fit that criteria (Barkley, Jacobs and Henry). Then you have a guy like Ekeler who you can also make an argument fits that category. For me, I am going for the highest upside play of the bunch and making a run at Barkley. 26 years old should have 3 years of high end production left in him.

Safety: Tight ends have had a field day against this team for as long as we can remember. Also, DeMeco has instilled the “swarm” mentality in the defense but too often the ball carrier did not go down at first contact. Pitre had a sophomore slump and Ward cannot be counted on to stay healthy. I want to add an ascending player to the mix with the versatility to fill either role. Send the loser to the slot.

There are three top tier candidates: Antoine Winfield, Kyle Dugger and Kamren Curl.

Winfield is admittedly a pipe dream, I see him getting tagged. Dugger and Curl more reasonable. I want Dugger if I get to pick. Elite measurables and has shown the ability to play anywhere on the field. An instinctive player who is an excellent tackler. Played all 17 games this past season and 98% (!!!) of the snaps on defense! Dugger would be able to match up with tight ends that terrorize the Texans and be a plus in the run game.

If we can’t get Dugger than Curl is a nice consolation prize. Everything I said about Dugger applies to Curl except a tier below on athleticism. Curl played every defensive snap in 16 games this season. Versatile player.

Texans have the money to re-sign players and add key upgrades at these two positions.
I would add Pollard to this list.

You can probably get Dugger for 3yrs 40 mil and Ekeler for 3yrs 21 mil.

This means you probably can't bring back Greenard and Edge becomes a high priority on the draft list. 2 guys I like a lot are Chop and Darius Robinson at 1-23.

The Texans are not going to find RBs in the draft that come from ZBS in college. Most college teams run RPO. So, there's some coaching involved no matter what. Basically, the people that say Pierce is a bad fit are really saying that Pierce is not capable of learning. Not sure if that's true, just like I'm not sure the Texans are running a true ZBS.
I like Laube as a draft pick a long with Emoni Bailey and Carson Steele as later rd picks. I also like Ekeler and Pollard in FA for the money over Barkley or Jacobs.

The Texans are not going to find RBs in the draft that come from ZBS in college. Most college teams run RPO. So, there's some coaching involved no matter what. Basically, the people that say Pierce is a bad fit are really saying that Pierce is not capable of learning. Not sure if that's true, just like I'm not sure the Texans are running a true ZBS.

I agree. I would let Pierce show what he knows in preseason. If it still doesn’t look like he’s got it then move him. But give the coaches a chance to coach him up. Slowik just got a raise after all… have him earn it.

I would add Pollard to this list.

You can probably get Dugger for 3yrs 40 mil and Ekeler for 3yrs 21 mil.

This means you probably can't bring back Greenard and Edge becomes a high priority on the draft list. 2 guys I like a lot are Chop and Darius Robinson at 1-23.

I’m not interested in pinching pennies to get Robin (Pollard). I want a difference maker. The team has tons of cap space. Give me Batman (Saquon).

I think the team will be able to get Greenard back in this scenario. But if they can’t then i’d hope they get Rankins/Barnett back and draft an edge early.

I’m not interested in pinching pennies to get Robin (Pollard). I want a difference maker. The team has tons of cap space. Give me Batman (Saquon).

I think the team will be able to get Greenard back in this scenario. But if they can’t then i’d hope they get Rankins/Barnett back and draft an edge early.
If you sign Barkley you're not going to be able to sign Greenard. If you sign Ekeler or Pollard who are good fits in a WCO you probably can bring back Greenard, Cashman etc...

I'm a big Ekeler fan, I would also draft Laube in the 4th or 5th rd. He really impressed me at the Sr. Bowl.

If you sign Barkley you're not going to be able to sign Greenard. If you sign Ekeler or Pollard who are good fits in a WCO you probably can bring back Greenard, Cashman etc...

I'm a big Ekeler fan, I would also draft Laube in the 4th or 5th rd. He really impressed me at the Sr. Bowl.

There’s a capologist out there that can make it work. Every year a stacked team finds a way under the cap. Now is not the time to be worried about the Mcnair’s money. I never expected this from you!

Willing to pinch pennies and wish/hope it works out with the likes of CEH and Mckinnon :(

There’s a capologist out there that can make it work. Every year a stacked team finds a way under the cap. Now is not the time to be worried about the Mcnair’s money. I never expected this from you!

Willing to pinch pennies and wish/hope it works out with the likes of CEH and Mckinnon :(
I'm not worried about the McNair's money

I just think the money spent on Barkley would be better spent on the DL, S positions. Plus I like Ekeler as much as I do Barkley.

IMO a superior Oline can make a superior running back out of an average RB while a superior back will like likely play at an average or even inferior level with an ordinary OLine.
OBTW about the 49ers tailback: he's special basically because of his versatility and not because he's a gifted runner which he's not.

IMO a superior Oline can make a superior running back out of an average RB while a superior back will like likely play at an average or even inferior level with an ordinary OLine.
OBTW about the 49ers tailback: he's special basically because of his versatility and not because he's a gifted runner which he's not.
So the real question is how much faith do you have in our Oline once everyone comes back healthy...b/c thats the one group position that was hurt and a revolving door all year. Does Scruggs stay at LG? Patterson shore up the C position? How about vice versa with Scruggs at C and Patterson at LG?? Howard coming back off injury to secure the RT spot...so now you just have to figure out RG...Will that line open up enough holes for an avg back? Will it open up holes and make and elite back like Barkley or Jacobs break off runs and take pressure off of CJ making the play action plays even more deadly??? Both those backs are excellent at catching out of the backfield as well...so provide excellent security blanket underneath on checkdown and wheel routes...How would that Oline look and hold up and would it be enough to revive the running games of old? (aka Arian Foster years).

Come again? This might be the only take that I have ever seen of anyone even remotely close to saying CMC isn't a gifted runner, let alone flat out saying it with no hesitation

Then go get Ekeler. Not a couple of backups.
If it doesn't affect the ability to sign 1 or 2 impact FA's and be able to keep Cashman, Rankins, etc... then I'm on board.

I like the Chiefs model, pay 2 vet RB's close to the vet min and go out and draft Irving, Laube etc... Obviously you want to invest heavily in the fa RB market and that's not how the Chiefs do business. I would rather add a guy like Hunter, Wilkins, Sneed etc... and save the money to add two of these guys by going cheap vets and a drafted rookie in the RB room. Not that I will be upset if they go out and sign Barkley. Of course I think Barkley while talented is overrated.

Disagree, McCaffrey is a very gifted runner, who also can catch, run pass patterns like a wr.

Disagree, McCaffrey is a very gifted runner, who also can catch, run pass patterns like a wr.
That's what I just said Steel - his greatest value comes from his versatilty as not just a runner but also as a pass-receiver,i.e., he's two different players in one on the field simultaneously which opens up the OC's playbook to all sorts of plays, schemes, etc.

Ekeler is done
Not sure he's done. I think he could still have another 2yrs in him....but he's 2 yrs older than Barkley and 3yrs older than Jacobs....and he has def been used as a bell cow in a chargers uniform...I like him and his style...just wonder how much tread is left on those tires...but would def go Ekeler before I went with henry.
Saquon would be my #1 b/c he has better hands than Jacobs, but its def close between them two for me.

That's what I just said Steel - his greatest value comes from his versatilty as not just a runner but also as a pass-receiver,i.e., he's two different players in one on the field simultaneously which opens up the OC's playbook to all sorts of plays, schemes, etc.
You also said he is not a gifted runner

True but he's one of the most gifted runners in the league.

Not sure he's done. I think he could still have another 2yrs in him....but he's 2 yrs older than Barkley and 3yrs older than Jacobs....and he has def been used as a bell cow in a chargers uniform...I like him and his style...just wonder how much tread is left on those tires...but would def go Ekeler before I went with henry.
Saquon would be my #1 b/c he has better hands than Jacobs, but its def close between them two for me.
Look at how many carries Josh Kelley got last year. Ekeler certainly wasn't overused.

CMC is a beast, and is a very gifted runner and receiver.

I tend to think that Jacobs is re-upping with the Raiders, which is why I don't really have him on my radar. If he becomes available, he's second on my list behind Barkely who I feel is a notch better runner and pass pro guy...and a couple of notches better as a pass catcher.

I like Ekeler's game, but can he hold up in pass pro? Can he be a 3 down guy? And last year, when I saw him, he was just meh but I still like him in the passing game.

I like Pollard, but he showed that he's not the man when he must be the man. He's Robin. Not Batman, and I want Batman. Although, if anyone has Catwoman's phone number, holler.

My preference order is Barkley, Jacobs, & Henry. To me, those are the only Batman's available and surefire starters on this team. Everyone else is a consolation prize and a Robin, but they can start and be decent if necessary. I'd probably go Pollard, Ekeler, and Swift out of this next group - in that order.

After that, you're into the good backup/spot starter group, and you're not addressing the position with the urgency it requires, imho. Out of this group, Moss or Dillion would be my first ideas to go after in this grouping, but I'd be disappointed that they couldn't do better.

He's done, but if you guys want to sign him, I'm sure the Ravens won't mind a bit
If you say so.

Tell me more about Justice Hill. Can catch,Pass Pro, is dynamic runner.

I think he would make a good add in FA as well as drafting a RB in the 4th rd range like Laube.

CMC is a beast, and is a very gifted runner and receiver.

I tend to think that Jacobs is re-upping with the Raiders, which is why I don't really have him on my radar. If he becomes available, he's second on my list behind Barkely who I feel is a notch better runner and pass pro guy...and a couple of notches better as a pass catcher.

I like Ekeler's game, but can he hold up in pass pro? Can he be a 3 down guy? And last year, when I saw him, he was just meh but I still like him in the passing game.

I like Pollard, but he showed that he's not the man when he must be the man. He's Robin. Not Batman, and I want Batman. Although, if anyone has Catwoman's phone number, holler.

My preference order is Barkley, Jacobs, & Henry. To me, those are the only Batman's available and surefire starters on this team. Everyone else is a consolation prize and a Robin, but they can start and be decent if necessary. I'd probably go Pollard, Ekeler, and Swift out of this next group - in that order.

After that, you're into the good backup/spot starter group, and you're not addressing the position with the urgency it requires, imho. Out of this group, Moss or Dillion would be my first ideas to go after in this grouping, but I'd be disappointed that they couldn't do better.
Like I told Sizzle. I'm fine with this but it's not a good use of resources IMHO. If you dont sign Barkley, you could sign a guy like Winfield to play FS and a DT or Edge like Wilkins or Hunter. Signing a RB like Barkley is like getting a shiny new toy.

Why do you say this?
If they re-sign Schultz/Cashman/Rankins/Barnett etc... there's enough to sign Barkley and another mid tier FA. If you sign a committee RB and draft a RB (The Chiefs way) then you will have the money to add a Wilkins/Hunter. Especially if you let Greenard walk.

I guess I like the way the Chiefs do business at the RB position and would like to go this way instead of giving out 30 mil to Barkley/Jacobs. (Who I would sign over Barkley)

So the real question is how much faith do you have in our Oline once everyone comes back healthy...b/c thats the one group position that was hurt and a revolving door all year. Does Scruggs stay at LG? Patterson shore up the C position? How about vice versa with Scruggs at C and Patterson at LG?? Howard coming back off injury to secure the RT spot...so now you just have to figure out RG...Will that line open up enough holes for an avg back? Will it open up holes and make and elite back like Barkley or Jacobs break off runs and take pressure off of CJ making the play action plays even more deadly??? Both those backs are excellent at catching out of the backfield as well...so provide excellent security blanket underneath on checkdown and wheel routes...How would that Oline look and hold up and would it be enough to revive the running games of old? (aka Arian Foster years).
The only thing that I feel confident about with our Oline is that Tunsil is truly legit elite, but unfortunately only in passpro.
How the offensive linemen rank individually and as a group I just dunno ?
As we know the line was plagued by injury this past year and it seemed like the GM and coaching staff were scrambling all year to just keep the group afloat.

I guess I like the way the Chiefs do business at the RB position and would like to go this way instead of giving out 30 mil to Barkley/Jacobs. (Who I would sign over Barkley)
Tell me more about how the Chiefs do business at the RB position

What dont you like about him?

I thought Edwards and Hill made a pretty good duo. In fact I wouldn't mind it at all if Caserio signed both of them in FA.

Me either. They're both average at best made better by a solid run blocking OL and Lamar being in the same backfield with them, being the main focus even on rushing plays. You saw what a true dynamic UDFA rookie RB did when he was healthy with us.

Reactions: JB
Like I told Sizzle. I'm fine with this but it's not a good use of resources IMHO. If you dont sign Barkley, you could sign a guy like Winfield to play FS and a DT or Edge like Wilkins or Hunter. Signing a RB like Barkley is like getting a shiny new toy.

Barkley is not going to cost as much as those FAs. I’d say a work horse RB is worth more to this offense than a “shiny new toy”.

Me either. They're both average at best made better by a solid run blocking OL and Lamar being in the same backfield with them, being the main focus even on rushing plays. You saw what a true dynamic UDFA rookie RB did when he was healthy with us.
LeeBig EZ and I wanted either Achane or Mitchell. There's nothing like having skill position players that are threats to score everytime they touch the ball. I really hope Mitchell gets well and can get back to where he was pre-injury.

Give me Edwards/Hill in FA and drafting Irving would give the Texans a RB room that would rival any in the NFL. I also like Laube to be this kind of RB. Play makers that would rival any RB room in the NFL and all different kinds of RB's. Love the way Edwards runs and he's got decent hands too. Picks up the important 3rd and 1's/GL scores. Far from avg and very underrated.

Last edited:
That’s a good idea when you have to pay those guys. But that’s not right now…
If you get 2 playmakers like Hunter/Wilkins or Jones you're having to pay those guys as well as paying you're own FA's. There's not as much money as there appears to be to go around.

Barkley is not going to cost as much as those FAs. I’d say a work horse RB is worth more to this offense than a “shiny new toy”.
True he's not going to cost as much. Where we differ is that I think signing the Chiefs (CEH/McKinnon) or (Edwards/Hill) and drafting a RB like Irving or Laube would provide more value if you were able to add guys like Jones or Wilkins and Hunter.

Interior pass rush lined up next the NFL sack leader is > RB. Especially when RB can be filled in the draft.

If you get 2 playmakers like Hunter/Wilkins or Jones you're having to pay those guys as well as paying you're own FA's. There's not as much money as there appears to be to go around.

I like the odds of getting it right with a workhorse RB more than wishing/hoping a platoon of backups will get it done. Edwards has gotten worse each season as a Chief. Hill just tore his achilles (in addition to the rest of his injuries).

Might as well take a stab at getting the next Pacheco with a late round pick if you want to try the “Chiefs model”, but disregard the fact they drafted CEH in the 1st and he’s been a bust.

I want a difference maker at RB. I’m not interested in throwing JAGS at the problem. If the Texans are intending to run the ball no matter the outcome then I want someone who can do it right. That makes this a bigger need than other positions imo and needs to be addressed.

Mahomes had more carries than anyone not named Pacheco. The others only had 10 or more when Pacheco was out. Hardly RBC
Mahomes didn't start running the ball until the end of the season. McKinnon got hurt but they took him off of IR for the SB? Why? Because he's a very good 3rd down RB. They wouldn't have taken him off of IR if they didn't have a purpose for him.

I like the odds of getting it right with a workhorse RB more than wishing/hoping a platoon of backups will get it done. Edwards has gotten worse each season as a Chief. Hill just tore his achilles (in addition to the rest of his injuries).

Might as well take a stab at getting the next Pacheco with a late round pick if you want to try the “Chiefs model”, but disregard the fact they drafted CEH in the 1st and he’s been a bust.

I want a difference maker at RB. I’m not interested in throwing JAGS at the problem. If the Texans are intending to run the ball no matter the outcome then I want someone who can do it right. That makes this a bigger need than other positions imo and needs to be addressed.
Draft your difference maker and add a couple of vet RB's so the rookie has time to learn. I think it's fools gold to draft a talented guy like Irving or any RB in this class other than Benson and expect them to come in and take the majority of the carries right off of the bat. Bad thing is Benson according to CnD is unlikely to play past his rookie contract. I suppose you could run him in the ground for a couple of yrs and draft another rookie in a better rookie class. The one thing I hope they dont do is what the press seems to be pushing for, (Spending 30 mil on a RB) and not using that money to address the front 7.

Back