Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Free Agency

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
Who would you like the team to resign and who would you like the team to target in free agency? Here's what I would like to see:

Resigns:

Singletary (RB) - works great in our system
Ogunbowale (RB) - decent 3rd down back and great on ST
Schultz (TE) - best TE we've had in years
Green #2 (G) - quality guard depth
Fant (T) - if the price is reasonable, he's a perfect reserve swing tackle
Greenard (DE) - great against the run and pass; injuries are still a concern
Barnett (DE) - has been decent depth
Rankins (DT) - if the price is reasonable, he's a pretty good starter, but he continues to have injury issues
Davis (DT) - quality DT depth
Cashman (LB) - best LB, but injuries are still a concern; worth a resign if his price is reasonable
King (CB) - good nickleback and ST player
Fairbairn (K)
Johnston (P)
Weeks (LS) - keep the special teams crew together, they're great

Potential Targets:

QB: Minshew, Brissett, Darnold - we need a better back up QB, someone who could realistically win you a couple of games if need be
RB: Gibson - dual threat back who I think would be a good fit with our scheme
WR: Ridley, Marquise Brown - both would add speed; Ridley would be higher overall quality and create a nightmare for secondaries next to Collins and Dell
EDGE: Huff - would be a really nice addition to the pass rush rotation
DT: Jones, Reader - a high end DT would take this defense to the next level
LB: White, Luvu, Al-Shaair - the LB unit needs help and I think any of these guys would be a good fit
CB: I'm not familiar enough with this free agency class, but we could use someone opposite Stingley; Nelson disappeared too much for my tastes

Who would you like the team to resign and who would you like the team to target in free agency? Here's what I would like to see:

Resigns:

Singletary (RB) - works great in our system
Ogunbowale (RB) - decent 3rd down back and great on ST
Schultz (TE) - best TE we've had in years
Green #2 (G) - quality guard depth
Fant (T) - if the price is reasonable, he's a perfect reserve swing tackle
Greenard (DE) - great against the run and pass; injuries are still a concern
Barnett (DE) - has been decent depth
Rankins (DT) - if the price is reasonable, he's a pretty good starter, but he continues to have injury issues
Davis (DT) - quality DT depth
Cashman (LB) - best LB, but injuries are still a concern; worth a resign if his price is reasonable
King (CB) - good nickleback and ST player
Fairbairn (K)
Johnston (P)
Weeks (LS) - keep the special teams crew together, they're great

Potential Targets:

QB: Minshew, Brissett, Darnold - we need a better back up QB, someone who could realistically win you a couple of games if need be
RB: Gibson - dual threat back who I think would be a good fit with our scheme
WR: Ridley, Marquise Brown - both would add speed; Ridley would be higher overall quality and create a nightmare for secondaries next to Collins and Dell
EDGE: Huff - would be a really nice addition to the pass rush rotation
DT: Jones, Reader - a high end DT would take this defense to the next level
LB: White, Luvu, Al-Shaair - the LB unit needs help and I think any of these guys would be a good fit
CB: I'm not familiar enough with this free agency class, but we could use someone opposite Stingley; Nelson disappeared too much for my tastes
Green2 is still on his rookie contract through 2024.

Saw an interesting article on Buccaneers LB Devin White.
It stated he requested a trade last season and missed their last game against Packers saying he "... couldn't go..." citing a sore foot.
I think he is still owed money which Texans would have to eat but take that and offer our third in '24 and see if Bucks bite.
He is a stud and likely would be much happier here under Ryans so his play should elevate to where he used to be.
I wouldn't like to offer more than our third rounder except maybe toss in a lower round pick with it and/or a player at a position of need for them.
Resign Blake Cashman and our LB corp will be solid.
Thoughts?

It stated he requested a trade last season and missed their last game against Packers saying he "... couldn't go..." citing a sore foot.
I think he is still owed money which Texans would have to eat but take that and offer our third in '24 and see if Bucks bite.
He is a stud and likely would be much happier here under Ryans so his play should elevate to where he used to be.
I wouldn't like to offer more than our third rounder except maybe toss in a lower round pick with it and/or a player at a position of need for them.
Thoughts?

I think having both Cashman and White would be a big boost to our LB unit. I suspect Luvu and Al-Shaair will be cheaper options, but White would thrive in Demeco's D.

I'm wondering what's going on with Jones. When Fant went down, they replaced him with Heck instead of Jones and Heck did not look good. Jones at least looked decent earlier in the year.
Jones replaced Tunsil at LT earlier in the year; and took 4 snaps at LT in game 8 and 6 snaps at LT in game 15. He hasn't taken any snaps on the right side. In week 1 they did try him at LG and he was not good.

Jones did take snaps at RT at Arizonia but for what ever reason, the Texans have kept him at his natural LT position.

I think Jones has been terrible for us unfortunately. I like Fant. I think his hip is bothering him more than he’s been letting on.

Fant has been a quality backup. That's why I'd love him back as a swing tackle. I suspect someone may offer him a chance at a starting position though. There are some terrible starting tackles around the league.
I see the difference being that Jones has proven himself at LT, Fant at RT. But Fant failed miserably at LT at every stop he's been at. Plus Jones has experience with the current DC who coached him for 3 years. Plus Jones is 5 years younger and has 4 fewer accrued seasons and will be cheaper to resign. Fant will make someone a decent RT or backup RT. Jones has a higher ceiling plus being from Houston.

Yes on White.

Theme of FA is bolster bolster bolster.
Give me Queen in FA and you don't have to give up draft picks. Al Shaair and Burks should also be on the table. You could probably sign both of them for what it will take to sign Queen.

Give me Queen in FA and you don't have to give up draft picks. Al Shaair and Burks should also be on the table. You could probably sign both of them for what it will take to sign Queen.

I bet Texans wish they had won Al Shaiir this offseason. He went to Titans for 1 year 6 million. Perryman came here for roughly half that amount.

I bet Texans wish they had won Al Shaiir this offseason. He went to Titans for 1 year 6 million. Perryman came here for roughly half that amount.
Since Al Shaair played for Ryans and the LB coach, I thought he would've been a top target for them. Oh weel, they probably can still sign him this offseason for 2 yrs 15 mil. I hope they double up and sign LB Burks from the 49ers to add much needed depth to the LB crew.

Maybe it was just when he played the Texans, but Luvu with the Panthers seemed to be everywhere that day. Messed up the passing lanes, seemed good in coverage etc. sort of a Cashman clones maybe but he impressed me. I bet Queen resigns in Baltimore but if available…I’m making an offer. He’s good.

Thoughts?

I dunno should we concentrate on retaining Greenard or go after an edge guy in FA or maybe our best option is to draft one ?

Resign Greenard. Fits in the culture and looks to be improving. I would target the FTag due to availability concerns.

Have Jordan Whitehead and Antoine Winfield in Houston on the first night of Free Agency. Get one of them.
Those two pop due to Winfield(family from Houston, played ball at the Woodlands) and Whitehead already playing well in Saleh's defense. Texans biggest issue is big play liability on defense.

Schultz if reasonable, I would resign, but not opposed to looking at other options as Schultz will be by far the best available TE in this year's free agency period.

Resign George Fant is applicable.

Not a fan of the Howard contract- maybe look to move off of it, if possible.

Man, Perryman leaving hurts.
Does Greenard have one more year on his rookie deal?
I'm hoping they replace Perryman with an upgrade particularly in coverage. A guy like Al Shaair/Burks who've played for Ryans would be upgrades and shouldn't be overly expensive in FA. A guy I really like is Jordyn Brooks, but he's probably going to be more expensive.

Playmaker receiver, solid backup safety, coverage linebacker, solid corner. We will be fine. Texans are an attractive destination thanks to Cj and Demeco. I don’t want perryman and am skeptical about ward. I expect us to make some big moves

My priority current FA’s are Schultz, Grenard, Rankins and Fairbairn. For the right deal, Perryman, Fant, Nelson, Singletary, and a couple of others. I don’t have the full list in front of me, so probably missing a couple of guys.

outside FA and the draft are murky until we see who they re-sign. The dline is nearly set with the very smart in season acquisitions like Barnett and Tart, IF Rankins and Grenard stay. I’d look for another tackle and another edge but not super high priority if the current group is intact.

I would love to find an impact coverage LB to pair with Cashman. We need depth and talent at both Corner and safety. A couple of guys with serious wheels would help.

On offense I’d look into another solid TE even if Schultz is back. If he is not back, TE jumps to highest priority. Jordan needs to move into the hybrid Frank Wychek role (rip) that is more or less occupied by Beck. Beck would be on my release list.

RB needs addressing, which I would do in the draft in the 2-4th round. And they need one more really good WR. I wouldnot be at all unhappy with a first rounder. There are a plethora of quality pass catchers. Let’s grab one in the first or second round.

I’m leaving Oline largely untouched. Can always pick up a developmental guy late or as a udfa but this group is my lowest priority outside of QB. Give me relative health, and a year working together and that will do wonders.

I’m leaving Oline largely untouched. Can always pick up a developmental guy late or as a udfa but this group is my lowest priority outside of QB. Give me relative health, and a year working together and that will do wonders.
I'm of the same mind here. The number of bodies we needed this year will likely not happen again. We'll be good with healthy starters.

My priority current FA’s are Schultz, Grenard, Rankins and Fairbairn. For the right deal, Perryman, Fant, Nelson, Singletary, and a couple of others. I don’t have the full list in front of me, so probably missing a couple of guys.

outside FA and the draft are murky until we see who they re-sign. The dline is nearly set with the very smart in season acquisitions like Barnett and Tart, IF Rankins and Grenard stay. I’d look for another tackle and another edge but not super high priority if the current group is intact.

I would love to find an impact coverage LB to pair with Cashman. We need depth and talent at both Corner and safety. A couple of guys with serious wheels would help.

On offense I’d look into another solid TE even if Schultz is back. If he is not back, TE jumps to highest priority. Jordan needs to move into the hybrid Frank Wychek role (rip) that is more or less occupied by Beck. Beck would be on my release list.

RB needs addressing, which I would do in the draft in the 2-4th round. And they need one more really good WR. I wouldnot be at all unhappy with a first rounder. There are a plethora of quality pass catchers. Let’s grab one in the first or second round.

Based on how he has played since coming over from the Eagles, I would add Derick Barnett to the sign at the right deal list.

Barnett has been a serious contributor to the D-line ever since Anderson and Grenard have missed time with injuries. If you look at his Football Focus rankings, he has been one of the Texans best DE's since he has joined the Texans. I think he could be got, for a very reasonable contract.

Last edited:
Based on how he has played since coming over from the Eagles, I would add Derick Barnett to the sign at the right deal list.

Barnett has been a serious contributor to the D-line ever since Anderson and Grenard have missed time with injuries. If you look at his Football Focus rankings, he has been one of the Texans best DE's since he has joined the Texans. I think he could be got, for a very reasonable contract.
Absolutely. He's been a great fit for Demeco's system.

If they bring back Rankins and Greenard then drafting a guy like Murphy or McKinley Jackson in the 3rd-4th rd would be the way that I would go.

Then I would prioritize playmakers on offense and a playmaking safety. Something like this,

1. Thomas
2. Benson
3. Cole Bishop
4. Murphy.
4. Best developmental edge possible if Stover doesn't fall until the 4th.

I like the way you're thinking.
We still have the two Greens and Patterson on IR that should come back healthy next season and they're all on their rookie deals and should take more development so OL will likely be a low priority.
We still have Henry 2 2 so LB will be low priority as well unless they let Cashman or Perryman go.
QB is interesting to me - what if they're happy with Mills as backup and like another one in the draft to develop and let CK go?
I agree a real difference maker at RB should be highish on their priority list and there are some intriguing prospects in this one.
There are several good CB's and Safety's in this draft even in lower rounds. Pitre has been disappointing this year - is he capable of adjusting to this system with more time?
DL may also be a priority in this draft - again, depending on who they let go.
WR appears to be the highest priority, but they may be happy once Tank comes back but another weapon for CJ would make our offense a real headache for opposing DCs.
Everything depends on who they let go and that will also make it hard for other teams to guess who we take as well.

Last edited:
I like the way you're thinking.
We still have the two Greens and Patterson on IR that should come back healthy next season and they're all on their rookie deals and should take more development so OL will likely be a low priority.
We still have Henry 2 2 so LB will be low priority as well unless they let Cashman or Perryman go.
QB is interesting to me - what if they're happy with Mills as backup and like another one in the draft to develop and let CK go?
I agree a real difference maker at RB should be highish on their priority list and there are some intriguing prospects in this one.
There are several good CB's and Safety's in this draft even in lower rounds. Pitre has been disappointing this year - is he capable of adjusting to this system with more time?
DL may also be a priority in this draft - again, depending on who they let go.
WR appears to be the highest priority, but they may be happy happy once Tank comes back but another weapon for CJ would make our offense a real headache for opposing DCs.
Everything depends on who they let go and that will also make it hard for other teams to guess who we take as well.
Agreed,

Imagine it the 1st three picks were Thomas/Benson and Stover. Plus they brought back Schultz/Singletary. Depth where you could run the most dangerous trio of WR's in the league, or you could run 12 personnel with Schultz and Stover with a fresh Benson/Singletary running behind them. So many threats to score on every play. Weapons.

Then in the 4th get your big DT and either a S/Edge?CB.

Yup. I didn't realize his contract was up, but I'd look to resign him. Tart as well if his contract is expiring. I'm not sure about his status. I think he can help stuff the run. The dline is in pretty good shape IF everyone up for renewal resigns and doesn't walk. If they do - then we need to look into adding pieces in FA/draft. Rankins and Collins have been a helluva duo at interior tackle, and with WA and Grenard setting the edge and forcing guys back inside, the run D has had a fantastic turnaround. It took them a few games....but for most of the year, this run D has been as good as anyone.

If they bring back Rankins and Greenard then drafting a guy like Murphy or McKinley Jackson in the 3rd-4th rd would be the way that I would go.

Then I would prioritize playmakers on offense and a playmaking safety. Something like this,

1. Thomas
2. Benson
3. Cole Bishop
4. Murphy.
4. Best developmental edge possible if Stover doesn't fall until the 4th.

It's a little early for me to get deep into the draft, but I do know (and love) Thomas and Benson. What do you have in mind at TE? Even if they resign Shultz, they are thin there. Is there a middling FA that would play Robin to Schultz's Batman?

Yup. I didn't realize his contract was up, but I'd look to resign him. Tart as well if his contract is expiring. I'm not sure about his status. I think he can help stuff the run. The dline is in pretty good shape IF everyone up for renewal resigns and doesn't walk. If they do - then we need to look into adding pieces in FA/draft. Rankins and Collins have been a helluva duo at interior tackle, and with WA and Grenard setting the edge and forcing guys back inside, the run D has had a fantastic turnaround. It took them a few games....but for most of the year, this run D has been as good as anyone.

Agreed on the DL. I like the veterans on this team now. Collins, Rankins and Tart is a good DT rotation. Use a day 3 pick to find someone to compete for that 4th DT spot in camp.

DE I like bringing back Greenard. Barnett as well for the right price. Let Hughes walk in FA or retire and Barnett can be that vet off the bench. Then hopefully Horton comes back but regardless add another young DE to fill the designated pass rusher Ogbo role I feel has been missing this season.

If you let Greenard, Collins or Rankins walk you have to replace them with a similar tier FA or a day 1/2 pick. Keep them here and you can take BPA. If BPA happens to be in their position then that’s when things really get fun :)

Back