Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Free Agency

I'm surprised at how few people see Cashman as a key player. He is to me in a major way.

This defense looks completely different with him in it compared to when he's out. Until we get a proven player who can even come close to his level of play he's an absolute top priority to retain regardless of his injury history.

To me the $ amount isn't even that important - it's more the term. If he's willing to take a 3 or so year deal I'm all in.

Like several other guys on this team, the big thing with Cashman is health. Can you rely on the guy to be there when the chips are down? He's had a lot of injury history. He flourished under DeMeco this year, so yes I'd definitely want to shake that tree and see if they can make it happen, but at a rate that also takes availability history into account.

If another team is willing to overpay, as much as it hurts...the smarter choice is to let him walk. Unless you prefer him to Rankins or Schultz for example. The salary cap era makes GMs make uncomfortable choices, and the hard truth is there is no way we're keeping all of our FAs. So, a few guys will end up taking a hike.

I'm letting Beck, Robert Woods and Noah Brown walk. I'd have to think about the others in more details. Beck is meh. I see nothing special with him. I wouldn't even try to sign him. Brown has a very long injury history and was out once again half of this year. He's got a lot of talent if 100% healthy. If if's and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a jolly good time. Can't rely on him. I'd resign him at a very reasonable rate, but another team is going to be tantalized by his upside and he'll likely sign elsewhere. Woods is aging, and also slowly breaking down. Good guy, but he's replaceable by another vet and/or draft pick.

Like several other guys on this team, the big thing with Cashman is health. Can you rely on the guy to be there when the chips are down? He's had a lot of injury history. He flourished under DeMeco this year, so yes I'd definitely want to shake that tree and see if they can make it happen, but at a rate that also takes availability history into account.

If another team is willing to overpay, as much as it hurts...the smarter choice is to let him walk. Unless you prefer him to Rankins or Schultz for example. The salary cap era makes GMs make uncomfortable choices, and the hard truth is there is no way we're keeping all of our FAs. So, a few guys will end up taking a hike.

I'm letting Beck, Robert Woods and Noah Brown walk. I'd have to think about the others in more details. Beck is meh. I see nothing special with him. I wouldn't even try to sign him. Brown has a very long injury history and was out once again half of this year. He's got a lot of talent if 100% healthy. If if's and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a jolly good time. Can't rely on him. I'd resign him at a very reasonable rate, but another team is going to be tantalized by his upside and he'll likely sign elsewhere. Woods is aging, and also slowly breaking down. Good guy, but he's replaceable by another vet and/or draft pick.
I prefer Cashman to Rankins for the simple fact that the dropoff from Rankins to the next DT isn't that huge imo, but the dropoff from Cashman to the next LB is gigantic.

We need LB additions badly, to lose one whose been as good as Cashman has would be catastrophic in my opinion. Even if we add a big name one in free agency there's no guarantee he performs as well as Cashman has in this system and then it puts us back into the same position where we really only have one of that calibre.

I prefer Cashman to Rankins for the simple fact that the dropoff from Rankins to the next DT isn't that huge imo, but the dropoff from Cashman to the next LB is gigantic.

We need LB additions badly, to lose one whose been as good as Cashman has would be catastrophic in my opinion. Even if we add a big name one in free agency there's no guarantee he performs as well as Cashman has in this system and then it puts us back into the same position where we really only have one of that calibre.

I'd sign Rankins over Cashman. Everything starts up front for me. I like to work inside out. Look at the turnaround playing the run. This team is #3 against the run this year. Who saw that coming?

We're also setting up a he vs. him narrative that might not exist. Perhaps they find a way to sign them both, and there's others on the "let him walk" list.

So, in a vacuum, yes of course, I'd like to sign Blake long-term. All I'm saying is that it's not that simple, and there is a lot of moving parts. Part and parcel of Nick signing tons of guys to one-year deals, and the majority of those guys balled out - creating the dilemma I was afraid would happen.

I can't speak to his time with the Jets where he played in 14 games over three seasons, but Cashman missed one game last season and three this season for the Texans. Since missing the Ravens in the season opener he's been on the field for 13/15 games. Just about every single key player on this team missed a few games this season. Assuming he plays tomorrow, in his two-year tenure with the Texans he would have played in 30/34 games. And played well at that.

I'd sign Rankins over Cashman. Everything starts up front for me. I like to work inside out. Look at the turnaround playing the run. This team is #3 against the run this year. Who saw that coming?

We're also setting up a he vs. him narrative that might not exist. Perhaps they find a way to sign them both, and there's others on the "let him walk" list.

So, in a vacuum, yes of course, I'd like to sign Blake long-term. All I'm saying is that it's not that simple, and there is a lot of moving parts. Part and parcel of Nick signing tons of guys to one-year deals, and the majority of those guys balled out - creating the dilemma I was afraid would happen.

Not saying they haven't greatly improved. Not saying it hasn't been a great year for the run defense.

I am saying go check out the rushing offenses that they've played this year. Many are in the bottom half if not bottom 10 in the league.

NY Jets Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Nicolini track record:

2023-jets 5th most injured
2022-jets 5th most injured
2021-jets 1st most inured

I am stealing the information from this Reddit post:

Do what you want with the information. It may be right or wrong in your eyes.

But it tells me that the injuries Cashman had with the Jets can be partly explained by the stadium and by the S&C coach. It makes sense that when he gets here he isn’t as injured or out as much.

On defense I'm keeping

Nelson, King,Cashman, Rankins/Barnett (Unless I can get Wilkins.) Tartt.

On offense

Schultz/ Singletary/Fairbairn depending on the cost.

Last edited:
On defense I'm keeping

Nelson, King,Cashman, Rankins (Unless I can get Wilkins.) Tartt.

On offense

Schultz and Singletary depending on the cost.

Keep Grenard - he has thrived under Ryans and obviously likes it here. If you do not keep him, you will have a huge hole at DE that you will have to fill with a very high cost DE free agent, or have to use a high draft pick that may, or may not work out, to get a DE.

Also, based on how he has played since coming over from the Eagles, I would keep Derick Barnett.

Barnett has been a serious contributor to the D-line ever since Anderson and Grenard have missed time with injuries. If you look at his Football Focus rankings, he has been one of the Texan’s best DE's since he has joined the Texans. I would absolutely keep him if he would sign for a reasonable deal.

I like grun-ARD but I do look at his durability during his first three years and wonder if we are going to have to overpay for him because of his contract 4th year. He's missed 18 games in his career.

2020 - 3-game inactive stint
2021 - 3 different times was inactive
2022 - 9-game inactive stint

I just think Cashman has truly showed out and is the best linebacker at every quality a linebacker needs on the team, he's the best coverage (by an absolute mile), best tackler, best against the run, etc. the defense truly looks different without him and when healthy he basically never leaves the field. I like DT and actually think we could still improve at the position but I really don't see a huge drop off between Rankins to the others, plus Demeco likes to rotate the D-Line as is so they don't take as many snaps as a key linebacker does.

It's just a hypothetical he vs him, but my overall take is Cashman would be painful to see go out the door. It would really hurt us. We need to add to this LB core not subtract for us.

Overall if most guys can be kept on contracts with reasonable years (around 3) I don't see why we don't try and retain a large chunk of them.

Keep Grenard - he has thrived under Ryans and obviously likes it here. If you do not keep him, you will have a huge hole at DE that you will have to fill with a very high cost DE free agent, or have to use a high draft pick that may, or may not work out, to get a DE.

Also, based on how he has played since coming over from the Eagles, I would keep Derick Barnett.

Barnett has been a serious contributor to the D-line ever since Anderson and Grenard have missed time with injuries. If you look at his Football Focus rankings, he has been one of the Texan’s best DE's since he has joined the Texans. I would absolutely keep him if he would sign for a reasonable deal.
I'm looking to upgrade from Greenard in FA and I'm willing to pay for the best on the market, either Chris Jones or Danielle Hunter. I'm not a believer in a guy who perfoms his best during a contract yr and has his injury history.

I added Barnett to the list. He's another reason that I would let Greenard walk. He's put up numbers that are as good as Greenard's. If I had to keep Greenard I would tag him to lower the risk.

I just think Cashman has truly showed out and is the best linebacker at every quality a linebacker needs on the team, he's the best coverage (by an absolute mile), best tackler, best against the run, etc. the defense truly looks different without him and when healthy he basically never leaves the field. I like DT and actually think we could still improve at the position but I really don't see a huge drop off between Rankins to the others, plus Demeco likes to rotate the D-Line as is so they don't take as many snaps as a key linebacker does.

It's just a hypothetical he vs him, but my overall take is Cashman would be painful to see go out the door. It would really hurt us. We need to add to this LB core not subtract for us.

Overall if most guys can be kept on contracts with reasonable years (around 3) I don't see why we don't try and retain a large chunk of them.
Spot on

I'm all for adding a guy like Jordyn Brooks, but I could see Ryans going after a cheaper guy like Al Shaair or Burks who played for Ryans with the 49ers.

Spot on

I'm all for adding a guy like Jordyn Brooks, but I could see Ryans going after a cheaper guy like Al Shaair or Burks who played for Ryans with the 49ers.
The fact he didn't immediately go for Al Shaair last season makes me think Demeco isn't incredibly high on him even if he's worked with him before.

The fact he didn't immediately go for Al Shaair last season makes me think Demeco isn't incredibly high on him even if he's worked with him before.
Understood and the fact that the Texans LB coach coached him in college. With that said Al Shaair had a very good yr with the Inbreds this season.

Texans were interested but got outbid by the Titans. They signed Perryman for half the cost after Al Shaiir signed with Tennessee.
They will have the cap space to bring him in this year. I'm betting Burks who will be a better value will be the guy who's brought in.

Every time I see a post like yours I think of all of the money that's being wasted on Howard.

If the Texans went by what you wanted, it would have been Dillard
True, and they wouldn't be paying Dillard a 2nd contract worth 18 mil a yr for subpar play and could be using that money to sign a guy like Evans/Wilikins/Hunter etc... you know, bringing local difference makers home. This is one of Caserio's biggest screwups, of course I've never bought into Howard. He's fools gold, just good enough to get your hopes up but ultimately lets you down.

Yup. I didn't realize his contract was up, but I'd look to resign him. Tart as well if his contract is expiring. I'm not sure about his status. I think he can help stuff the run. The dline is in pretty good shape IF everyone up for renewal resigns and doesn't walk. If they do - then we need to look into adding pieces in FA/draft. Rankins and Collins have been a helluva duo at interior tackle, and with WA and Grenard setting the edge and forcing guys back inside, the run D has had a fantastic turnaround. It took them a few games....but for most of the year, this run D has been as good as anyone.
Nick Caserio made a wise decision to extend Malik Collins for two more years this past spring.
Edit Rankins 2024 year is voided.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how few people see Cashman as a key player. He is to me in a major way.

This defense looks completely different with him in it compared to when he's out. Until we get a proven player who can even come close to his level of play he's an absolute top priority to retain regardless of his injury history.

To me the $ amount isn't even that important - it's more the term. If he's willing to take a 3 or so year deal I'm all in.
If To'oTo'o doesn't own MLB, Cashman may.

Cutting Woods which I have considered along with not extending Brown would add 5 million cap space which we can really use. Rather than the cheaper free agent deals this off season I would like to see Nick swing for the fences with two or three high dollar deals with young players.

Last edited:

There is one linebacker free agent that is twice as good as Cashman if we want to spend the bucks.

On defense I'm keeping

Nelson, King,Cashman, Rankins/Barnett (Unless I can get Wilkins.) Tartt.

On offense

Schultz/ Singletary/Fairbairn depending on the cost.
If you're going to overpay, now is the time. You can give real money 3 yr contacts to either retain or add before CJ deal. Probably even do 4 yr deals. So like I wouldn't give Singletary more than 5m per. Schultz more than 8per. Greenard is at 15m per. Cashman is at 8 per. Real money 1st 3 or 4 years, funny money after that.

Give me Chris Jones at 5 yrs 125m with 80m guaranteed.
Jones is 30 years old. A 5 year deal for $125MM for a 30 year old is a terrible idea. The last several years of that deal would just, be throwing cap space away. If you could get Jones for a two or 3 year deal I would be good with it.

On top of all of that, he is a DT rather than a DE which is what you need if you let Gernard go. No matter what you do with Jones, if Gernard is not kept, you have to get a replacement stud DE.

Jones is 30 years old. A 5 year deal for $125MM for a 30 year old is a terrible idea. The last several years of that deal would just, be throwing cap space away. If you could get Jones for a two or 3 year deal I would be good with it.

On top of all of that, he is a DT rather than a DE which is what you need if you let Gernard go. No matter what you do with Jones, if Gernard is not kept, you have to get a replacement stud DE.
I totally disagree with you

If you're going to overpay, now is the time. You can give real money 3 yr contacts to either retain or add before CJ deal. Probably even do 4 yr deals. So like I wouldn't give Singletary more than 5m per. Schultz more than 8per. Greenard is at 15m per. Cashman is at 8 per. Real money 1st 3 or 4 years, funny money after that.
It's gonna cost more than that for Schultz and Greenard if they decide to keep them. I bet Cashman gets closer to 10 mil. I wouldn't pay Singletary more than 2 yrs 9 mil.

I hope you are right on your valuations.

How many DT's play well in their 30's?

Jones does play some DE in passing situations and is quite good at it. Give me Jones at 5 mil more per year than what it will take to re-up Greenard. Then re-sign Barnett and draft a developmental guy if it looks like Horton won't make it back. Heck, Sanders may be the developmental guy.

Add in a guy like McKinley Jackson and the DL would be deep with difference makers all over it.

Reactions: JB
Patrick Queen. Baltimore can't tag he and Madubike
I like Queen and he would fill a gaping hole. But I would rather bring in one of the 49ers LB on a cheaper deal and spend the fa money on the DL.

But that's just me. I certainly won't be upset if they sign Queen.

Targets:
Antoine Winfield Jr - S
Jordyn Brooks - LB
Noah Fant - TE

Priority Resign:
Singletary - RB
Greenard - DE
Fairbairn - K

Resign:
Barnett - DE
Jones - OT
Weeks - LS
Rankins - DT

Draft BPA - WR, CB, DL, RB

Obviously you don't understand the cap or impact players. Dude affects the qb more than a de because he's closer. Again, you're looking to make a run before you have to pay Stroud. So you overpay now and for the next 4 years. Jones has 9.5 sacks from the dt position. He had 15.5 last year and he basically won the game vs Cincy in the playoffs. You put him in this dl, and you will never have to blitz again.

Obviously you don't understand the cap or impact players. Dude affects the qb more than a de because he's closer. Again, you're looking to make a run before you have to pay Stroud. So you overpay now and for the next 4 years. Jones has 9.5 sacks from the dt position. He had 15.5 last year and he basically won the game vs Cincy in the playoffs. You put him in this dl, and you will never have to blitz again.
He's also an outstanding run defender

If you could only sign one, knowing the difference in contract would you sign Jones or Queen?

Rankins is injury prone also

So who out of these guys do you want to keep? I see quite a few contributors, it's going to eat into that 74m in cap space.
View attachment 13391
Depending on if they want to sign a guy like Jones or Hunter, I'm keeping Cashman/Schultz/Barnett/Nelson/King Fairbairn/Tartt/Singletary/Jones.

If they sign Chris Jones/Wilkins or Hunter in FA then I'm letting both Rankins and Greenard walk. If they dont sign one of these guys, then I'm keeping Rankins and Greenard.

Last edited:
So who out of these guys do you want to keep? I see quite a few contributors, it's going to eat into that 74m in cap space.
View attachment 13391
Saw quite a few names missing from your list so I'm going to go off my own.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 154001.png

This is just my opinion (obviously) but I basically sort them into a few basic categories.

Absolutely must retain:
Blake Cashman
Kaimi Fairbairn
Jonathan Greenard
Dalton Schultz

I put these guys in the category because after each of them there's a sharp decline in talent at their position and it's always my belief that you don't let top talents like that walk out the door without having the replacement already in the building. Plus for Greenard, Schultz and Cashman you could still add to their position while retaining them rather than watch them walk and try to replace them.

Would like to see retained:
Steven Nelson
Cameron Johnston
Devin Singletary
Derek Barnett
Sheldon Rankins
George Fant
Jon Weeks

All these guys have unique situations to where they're not absolute musts but it would be more beneficial to retain than see them walk. A lot will have to do with the $ and term being asked.

I'd like to see them come back but they're depth players:
Khalil Davis
Grayland Arnold
Michael Deiter
Josh Jones
Tavierre Thomas
Noah Brown
Hassan Ridgeway

Overall I see a lot of our cap space being used to retain players (and don't forget an extension for Nico should be in the works as well) and only leaving enough for 1 (maybe 2) big name additions. Which I think is fine, I wouldn't even mind continuing how we have with smart little additions here and there and now that our profile as a team has raised significantly - I'd even argue we're close to a #1 destination with a top qb, player friendly coach, and a tax friendly state we can be looking at a higher class of players even on 1 year prove it deals that Caserio has had some success with.

Personally if Tamba Bay doesn't retain him I want to go extremely hard for Antoine Winfield Jr. I think he's arguably the best at his position in the league (Pro Bowl snub was insane) and when talent is available like that you go all out for it. I know safety is a position where we have Ward and Pitre, but if we're being honest there's no guarantee how long Ward will last and Pitre still has developing to do. Winfield is better than either and it's not particularly close.

I also know a lot the fan base wants to see us use a big chunk of our resources on receiver but I really don't think that's necessary. This draft is stupidly stacked at receiver so we could likely not have to use our big $ or high picks (1st or 2nd) and still get solid smart additions which in my opinion is the better way to go about it.

Overall there's an incredible opportunity here for this organization to take advantage of but I think they're going to have to attack it in a very clever fashion.

Don't disagree at all, but I just don't see how Tampa Bay let's him leave (or am I missing something?).
I can't either except that Tampa is in a very interesting situation with their free agents. They're going to have to let some walk and there's a few I'd be interested in. Basically they could retain Winfield and maybe 1 or 2 others or let Winfield walk and retain more of them.

We saw Jessie Bates hit free agency last year under similar circumstamces.

I can't either except that Tampa is in a very interesting situation with their free agents. They're going to have to let some walk and there's a few I'd be interested in. Basically they could retain Winfield and maybe 1 or 2 others or let Winfield walk and retain more of them.

We saw Jessie Bates hit free agency last year under similar circumstamces.
For reference these are Tampa's free agents

Screenshot 2024-01-08 160407.png

Texans fans are hot for Evans but the linebackers could be interesting too and you would think they'd look at bringing back Baker.

Back