Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Free Agency

I think it'll be more than scheme fit. Sweat fits the scheme. It'll be more character and dedication to being the best. Just throwing stuff out there, but I'd guess Ryans would want Sweat to play at 340 - 350. This would improve his stamina and conditioning. What will sell Sweat to Ryans will be his interviews.
Sometimes losing weight hurts a players performance. Look at Dallas first rd pick last year, he lost 30 lbs and wasn't the player he was drafted to be

Sweat won the Lombardi at 366 lbs. It would be a mistake to ask him to lose weight. Also a misconception is that Sweat isn't athletic. He's very athletic particularly for a man his size. Really for a man over 300 lbs

The Ravens had TD drives of 55 yards, 93 yards, and 78 yards coming out of the half. All Ravens 2nd half drives ended in scores. That is domination and no WR was going to reverse that.
Yes they did, they held the Ravens to 10 points in the 1st half and got worn down because they spent so much time on the field due to the offense lack of being able to move the ball.

LMAO,

Remove the good moves from any team and their FA period wouldn't look as good. fact is they got the best pass rusher in the NFL and with Stingley on one side they can play more zone on the other side to protect Odukah/Henderson who are guys that obviously have talent but have had injury issues in the past. They will pick a CB in this draft, but it will probably be a guy like Melton/Stiggers/Brownlee unless a guy like DeJean/Wggins fall to 2-42. These CB's are very good even though you probably haven't heard of them. I would like to hear BL's opinion on the 2nd tier CB's and what he thinks of them. He's generally very good at identifying undervalued CB's.

Let me ask you this, if a talent like DeJohn or Wiggins falls to 2-42 and Sweat is also on the board, who are you picking?
The cb, then the dl

Comparing Aaron Donald to Sweat is apples to oranges.

This afternoon I took a quick look at the Ravens playoff game. My previous comments were pretty much correct. Ryans defense consistently had a DT lined up on the Center, mostly at the 1 tech but occasionally at the 0 tech. This is the role Sweat would play in a Ryan defense.

Aaron Donald lines up further out, recently at RE or LE, but in the past at RDT or LDT.

I'd compare Sweat more to Vince Wilfork.

But I'd add, further down the draft board, 3rd/4th round, McKinnley Jackson would be available for the same role, DL1T.
Jackson is not in the same class as Sweat imo

Caserio should pick him at 2+42 and trade up for a wr. IMHO

I’m warming up to picking a top LB. I’ve been wanting to upgrade at nickel CB. But if you get one of the top 3 LBs I suspect they’ll be able to play more base D because of the speed/coverage talent they’ll have at LB.

3 LBs would also help the run D. Cooper is my favorite of the 3 but they’d all represent a serious upgrade over To’o To’o.

Man Cooper would be so nice! Elite measurables, violent and decisive for better or worse. He would fit in well with the defense’s SWARM mentality. Plus, with Azeez here, i’m confident that any misfires will be cleaned up by the green dot guy.

Last edited:
I’m warming up to picking a top LB. I’ve been wanting to upgrade at nickel CB. But if you get one of the top 3 LBs I suspect they’ll be able to play more base D because of the speed/coverage talent they’ll have at LB.

3 LBs would also help the run D. Cooper is my favorite of the 3 but they’d all represent a serious upgrade over To’o To’o.

Man Cooper would be so nice! Elite measurables, violent and decisive for better or worse. He would fit in well with the defense’s SWARM mentality. Plus, with Azeez here, i’m confident that any misfires will be cleaned up by the green dot guy.

If it helps make you feel any better, Edgerrin Cooper will carry a higher draft grade on Texan board (than Sweat). DeMeco, would implement the best linebacker room in the entire league.

And sign him to the 4 year 76 million dollar deal the Tennessee did…no thanks. I’d rather pay Stroud and Anderson, but hey maybe that’s just me.

CJ and Will aren’t an issue for 3-4 years. Lord have mercy on my soul. We could easily fit a top corner here right now.

If it helps make you feel any better, Edgerrin Cooper will carry a higher draft grade on Texan board (than Sweat). DeMeco, would implement the best linebacker room in the entire league.

So much schematic flexibility! I really liked how the team used Harris to blitz in the first half of the Ravens game. Of course the Ravens adjusted at halftime but it was giving LJ serious problems. Cooper has that same talent and could cause more confusion for opposing offenses when the team wants to throw that wrinkle at an opposing team.

Also, his decisiveness attacking plays would cause chaos. Even if he misses on the big play, offenses are forced to react which would allow the defense to swarm to the ball and clean up. I don’t see screen passes working against this defense with a LB trio of Azeez/Harris/Cooper.

So much schematic flexibility! I really liked how the team used Harris to blitz in the first half of the Ravens game. Of course the Ravens adjusted at halftime but it was giving LJ serious problems. Cooper has that same talent and could cause more confusion for opposing offenses when the team wants to throw that wrinkle at an opposing team.

Also, his decisiveness attacking plays would cause chaos. Even if he misses on the big play, offenses are forced to react which would allow the defense to swarm to the ball and clean up. I don’t see screen passes working against this defense with a LB trio of Azeez/Harris/Cooper.
I doubt Cooper will be there at 2-42. Draft Sweat and draft P.Wilson ant 2-59 that would be a great consolation prize. Add Simmons in FA and you've got an elite defense. Pair 3-85 with 4-127 and a 2025 3rd and move up to get a Stud WR. Then draft a RB or TE at 4-123 and let's roll.

You can say this about any position, see Brock Purdy. Sweat is a Championship puzzle piece that don’t grow on trees. He’s a huge run defender, Texans biggest area of concern and area of need to improve.
I get it, but an every down LB can accomplish the same thing.

I think it'll be more than scheme fit. Sweat fits the scheme. It'll be more character and dedication to being the best. Just throwing stuff out there, but I'd guess Ryans would want Sweat to play at 340 - 350. This would improve his stamina and conditioning. What will sell Sweat to Ryans will be his interviews.
I was also thinking teams would want Sweat to shed some weight. He's not very twitchy at all, leading to a slow get off.

I doubt Cooper will be there at 2-42. Draft Sweat and draft P.Wilson ant 2-59 that would be a great consolation prize. Add Simmons in FA and you've got an elite defense. Pair 3-85 with 4-127 and a 2025 3rd and move up to get a Stud WR. Then draft a RB or TE at 4-123 and let's roll.

This is my dream scenario but instead of Sweat give me Newton / Fiske / Jenkins II. I really like Sweat in the mold of Michael Pierce but that isn’t the mold Demeco “seems” to prefer in his defense. Just my opinions and observations and I could be totally wrong.

In 2023, Texans LBs took 2487 snaps in 1079 plays. That's an average of 2.3 LB snaps per play. In 2022, Ryans' Niners LBs took 2382 snaps over 1026 plays. 2.3 LB snaps per play. Ryans' defense are in 3 LB sets around 30% of snaps. Does anyone think Al-Shaair or Harris will come out of the game in 2 LB sets? The role of LB3 is limited in the Texans defense. Without injuries, LB4 is almost nonexistent on the field.

But, there are always injuries. And the Texans are thin at LB. So I fully expect the Texans to draft a LB. When? Christian Harris was taken in the 3rd round, the highest drafted off the ball LB Caserio was involved with since the Patriots selected Jamie Collins in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft. The Niners did draft Bama All American Reuben Foster in the late 1st of the 2017 draft during Ryans tenure. Foster was a bust for many reasons. Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick and Dre Greenlaw went in the 5th.

There are no indicators the Texans are looking at taking a LB as high as the 2nd round, other than prospect interviews. The Texans do need LB depth, and could go LB as early as the 3rd round. More likely 4th round or later, though.

Yes they did, they held the Ravens to 10 points in the 1st half and got worn down because they spent so much time on the field due to the offense lack of being able to move the ball.
I just rewatched this game and you're spot on here. The D couldn't get off the field and the O couldn't stay on the field. The Texans didn't call a very good game or execute very well.

In 2023, Texans LBs took 2487 in 1079 plays. That's an average of 2.3 LB snaps per play. In 2022, Ryans' Niners LBs took 2382 snaps over 1026 plays. 2.3 LB snaps per play. Ryans' defense are in 3 LB sets around 30% of snaps. Does anyone think Al-Shaair or Harris will come out of the game in 2 LB sets? The role of LB3 is limited in the Texans defense. Without injuries, LB4 is almost nonexistent on the field.

But, there are always injuries. And the Texans are thin at LB. So I fully expect the Texans to draft a LB. When? Christian Harris was taken in the 3rd round, the highest drafted off the ball LB Caserio was involved with since the Patriots selected Jamie Collins in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft. The Niners did draft Bama All American Reuben Foster in the late 2nd of the 2017 draft during Ryans tenure. Foster was a bust for many reasons. Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick and Dre Greenlaw went in the 5th.

There are no indicators the Texans are looking at taking a LB as high as the 2nd round, other than prospect interviews. The Texans do need LB depth, and could go LB as early as the 3rd round. More likely 4th round or later, though.

Im going to do a mock on this logic now. Great observation.

Im going to do a mock on this logic now. Great observation.
Those probably run along the lines if the nfl in general. With everyone running these open spread sets the LB 3 isn't going to play much. After the college season, I thought James Williams of Miami would be that Joker similar to Kyle Hamilton. A big safety who can play strong backer, function in run support but also has the range to play in the secondary or cover TE's. I still like him in that capacity

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Those probably run along the lines if the nfl in general. With everyone running these open spread sets the LB 3 isn't going to play much. After the college season, I thought James Williams of Miami would be that Joker similar to Kyle Hamilton. A big safety who can play strong backer, function in run support but also has the range to play in the secondary or cover TE's. I still like him in that capacity

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

SS- Jaden Hicks (Washington State) is my choice to fill that bill.

:::Looks at thread title::: Yep.2024 Free Agency. Not draft. Why are there so many draft conversations instead of taking it to the draft thread? I go to look at free agency and the last 2 pages are draft stuff.

Here you go.

:::Looks at thread title::: Yep.2024 Free Agency. Not draft. Why are there so many draft conversations instead of taking it to the draft thread? I go to look at free agency and the last 2 pages are draft stuff.

Here you go.

I get zoned out with the draft talk. It’s not that I’m opposed to it. So much to be learned from these guys posting as I just don’t watch college football but I don’t know nothing about it. Whoever falls to us… they’re gonna be a Texan and I’m gonna root for ‘em… but yeah… I’d like to get back to FA in this thread.

This is my dream scenario but instead of Sweat give me Newton / Fiske / Jenkins II. I really like Sweat in the mold of Michael Pierce but that isn’t the mold Demeco “seems” to prefer in his defense. Just my opinions and observations and I could be totally wrong.
Before he had the foot injury I had Newton as a top 15 pick. If Ryans thinks he's a good fit and healthy, then sign me up for Johnny Newton. He's a great athlete,

I just rewatched this game and you're spot on here. The D couldn't get off the field and the O couldn't stay on the field. The Texans didn't call a very good game or execute very well.
The Ravens were the better team.

I was happy they hung with the Ravens for a half. This could possibly be due to a great coaching job. Ryans after this said I'm going to fix the front 7. I believe he's going to do this and that's he had Caserio get him Odukah and Henderson. I look for Demeco to finish out the front 7 with 2-42 and 2-59, then go hunting for a WR. There will probably be a WR like Burton there at 3-86. Not necessarily what I would've done but this makes sense.

BTW, personally I would pick Wright at 3-86 and trade up to the top of the 4th for Malik Washington. But if Caserio does what it takes to trade up from 3-86 into the 2nd for McConkey or Pearsall then I'm all on board.

giphy.gif

CJ and Will aren’t an issue for 3-4 years. Lord have mercy on my soul. We could easily fit a top corner here right now.
Here is a small list of the guys who are up for a new deal in the next four years:
Nico
Tunsil or his replacement
Stingley
Tank
CJ
Anderson
And all of the younger guys on the Oline

I'd rather not pay Snead as the league's best/highest paid corner (which he isn't) and then have to top it to sign Stingley and pay a top 5 deal at WR, Edge and QB. But sure teams manage to do that all the time. I mean the cap isn't really a thing, right?

2024 NFL Free Agency: 10 Most Likely Busts Include Calvin Ridley, Jonathan Greenard

7. Saquon Barkley, RB, Philadelphia Eagles
The Eagles needed help on offense, not just on defense, which took the bulk of the blame for last year’s second-half collapse. Barkley’s versatility should help Jalen Hurts & Co., but it wouldn’t be surprising if Eagles beat reporters are writing stories about the team searching for ways to get Barkley more involved in the offense five games into the season.

Philadelphia signed Barkley to a three-year, $37.5 million contract, which puts him behind Christian McCaffrey, Alvin Kamara and Jonathan Taylor on the running back pay scale for 2024. It’s tough seeing Barkley, 27, playing as well as McCaffrey and Taylor. He’s dealt with injuries in his career and had a rough ’23 season, averaging only 3.9 yards per carry. Barkley hasn’t been as explosive as McCaffrey in a few years and isn’t as young as Taylor. He could be just as productive as Kamara, but Kamara hasn’t lived up to the contract extension he signed with the New Orleans Saints.

3. Jonathan Greenard, Edge, Minnesota Vikings
The Vikings could afford taking a chance on a young player with upside after the free-agency departures of Kirk Cousins and Danielle Hunter. But Greenard, who agreed to a four-year, $76 million contract, has only had one dominant season in his career, after recording a career-high 12.5 sacks for the Houston Texans last season. He only had 10.5 sacks combined in his first three seasons.

Texans coach DeMeco Ryans won’t be joining Greenard in Minnesota and neither will Will Anderson Jr., the reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year. Greenard, 26, will need to be the Vikings’ best player on the defensive front. He has also dealt with injuries, missing nine games in 2022. If Greenard plays up to his potential, perhaps this deal becomes a bargain for the Vikings.

1. Calvin Ridley, WR, Tennessee Titans
Ridley left Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguars to be the No. 1 wide receiver for Will Levis and the Titans. There’s nothing wrong with the team adding a dynamic wide receiver to help a second-year quarterback, but they might regret this contract in a year or two.

Ridley, who turns 30 later this year, signed a massive four-year, $92 million contract with the Titans—it’s understandable why the Jaguars didn’t match that price. For that contract, Ridley comes with too many concerns, including age, availability and performance. He played in every game for the Jaguars last season, something he did only once in five seasons with the Falcons. But Ridley struggled to learn Doug Pederson’s offense and had a few costly drops with the Jaguars. Perhaps playing with new Titans coach Brian Callahan will make the Ridley signing worth the risks.

Here is a small list of the guys who are up for a new deal in the next four years:
Nico
Tunsil or his replacement
Stingley
Tank
CJ
Anderson
And all of the younger guys on the Oline

I'd rather not pay Snead as the league's best/highest paid corner (which he isn't) and then have to top it to sign Stingley and pay a top 5 deal at WR, Edge and QB. But sure teams manage to do that all the time. I mean the cap isn't really a thing, right?

Coming clean...I didn't see the player compensation, only what was dealt to the Chiefs. If it was top CB in the NFL money, I'd pass as well. Maybe top 10 area money but very top? No.

That doesn't change my overall philosophy for this and next season. Your current franchise quarterback and defensive end are both early in their rookie deals. This isn't the time to be tepid or play in the kiddie pool. This is likely the only window in Nick's tenure when he can make multiple huge moves to push toward a SB appearance. It's like anything else in life—when the window opens, you have to jump through it. You can't go halfway. That's Nowhereville. That's how you get a string of 9-7 type seasons. Good...but never good enough. The expected answer to this is CJ. That means Nick is pushing all of his chips onto CJ7 and hoping it turns up spades. It's a calculated gamble and you're putting the onus on a young man to basically carry a team to a trophy.

The two big splashes he made both have caveats -

Hunter took a big hometown discount because he wanted to play here. The Texans didn't outbid anyone, and if Hunter weren't so focused on coming here, we would have lost him too—like we did with numerous others. I think it's an upgrade, yes, but he's only signed for two years.

Mixon was a trade. Granted, he signed an extension, but it's not like the Texans were in a bidding war with other clubs.

The other "big" signing: I'm not convinced that Al-Shaair is better than the guy he's replacing, especially as it relates to covering RBs and TEs. Maybe it's a big upgrade, but I'll need to see it with my own eyes. I feel like it's a step up on the run defense and a step back in pass defense with him vs. Cashman. I'm not sure how much better we're getting there.

Coming clean...I didn't see the player compensation, only what was dealt to the Chiefs. If it was top CB in the NFL money, I'd pass as well. Maybe top 10 area money but very top? No.

That doesn't change my overall philosophy for this and next season. Your current franchise quarterback and defensive end are both early in their rookie deals. This isn't the time to be tepid or play in the kiddie pool. This is likely the only window in Nick's tenure when he can make multiple huge moves to push toward a SB appearance. It's like anything else in life—when the window opens, you have to jump through it. You can't go halfway. That's Nowhereville. That's how you get a string of 9-7 type seasons. Good...but never good enough. The expected answer to this is CJ. That means Nick is pushing all of his chips onto CJ7 and hoping it turns up spades. It's a calculated gamble and you're putting the onus on a young man to basically carry a team to a trophy.

Hunter took a big hometown discount because he wanted to play here. The Texans didn't outbid anyone, and if Hunter weren't so focused on coming here, we would have lost him too—like we did with numerous others. I think it's an upgrade, yes, but he's only signed for two years.

Mixon was a trade. Granted, he signed an extension, but it's not like the Texans were in a bidding war with other clubs.

The other "big" signing: I'm not convinced that Al-Shaair is better than the guy he's replacing, especially as it relates to covering RBs and TEs. Maybe it's a big upgrade, but I'll need to see it with my own eyes. I feel like it's a step up on the run defense and a step back in pass defense with him vs. Cashman. I'm not sure how much better we're getting there.

So, are you asserting that it is a bad thing that we are attracting free agents (Danielle Hunter) to Houston without having to outbid the entire NFL? I don't get that. Why are you so adamant that the Texans overspend? It isn't like we are screwing around $50 million under the cap... By the way, unused cap gets rolled over into the next season.

He added 3 playmakers who are major upgrades in FA. He will probably do what Ryans said he wants to do which is finish out upgrading the front 7 in the draft, DT/LB and add a S in FA, plus draft a developmental but talented CB like Stiggers or Elijah Jones in the 4th/5th rd. That's adding 6 new upgrades from last yrs defense and a talented developmental piece. Yet Ryans/Caserio aren't doing enough to satisfy Porky. LMAO

It sounds like you want the Texans to be in a bidding war with another team and win just to say we got the W. That rarely works out to the winners benefit. Why would you want that? To be entertained?

Think back to when Rick Smith lost out on the CB I can’t remember for that one I can Johnathan Joseph. We didn’t win, and people were like the Texans will never sign a top FA. We got the better deal.

For all we know Nick gets calls about trades because of his connections. He may be the first call and he gets to pull the trigger first. That’s what you want. Not to be in a bidding war to say we won.

Tricky Nick Casino doing his thing. Can't wait to see the end results of this offseason and draft when all is said and done. Texans should be a better team this season, but with a much tougher schedule. I don't think they'll go 17-0 this season. LOL

Coming to New England as an undrafted rookie free agent, Bryant has been a developmental success story for the Patriots. With an ability to play in various positions on the secondary, his versatility has been a valuable trait for the Patriots over the last few seasons. He was the most consistent and available member of the defensive backfield for the Patriots in 2023.https://chowderandchampions.com/posts/5-former-patriots-who-still-can-t-find-a-job-in-2024-free-agency-01hspb49stqt/2

Coming to New England as an undrafted rookie free agent, Bryant has been a developmental success story for the Patriots. With an ability to play in various positions on the secondary, his versatility has been a valuable trait for the Patriots over the last few seasons. He was the most consistent and available member of the defensive backfield for the Patriots in 2023.https://chowderandchampions.com/posts/5-former-patriots-who-still-can-t-find-a-job-in-2024-free-agency-01hspb49stqt/2
I like this signing! Doing a good job of shoring up the back end of the defense

Another infamous bargain basement clearance item for Tricky Nicky to fawn over. Yawn.

And the 2011 CB market isn't apples to oranges.

What you're telling me is that going from filet mignon to sirlion is the same as going from filet mignon to ground beef. That dog don't hunt.

There are mid-level starters out there in FA right now—the Sheldon Rankins of the world—who are ripe for picking and who won't bust the cap whatsoever. And if someone special comes along, you can restructure deals, cut guys... there are tons of ways to manipulate the cap. Like I said - they have an open window for a brief moment in time. Once CJ and Will sign their huge deals, we'll have to settle for gum stuck to the bottom of the school desk. Now is not that time. Grab the brass ring. What the hell are you people afraid of? It's like y'all are allergic to a super bowl.

Last. Year. My only worry was too many one year deals…which has come back to bite them in the ass. Another year was 2011.
All those one year deals helped get them to the playoffs and gave them a chance. Those cap saving deals also set the team up to make some solid roster changes that could keep the momentum.

Caserio really didn't have much to work with after O'Brien and Easterby took a sledgehammer to the roster while signing fringe guys to outrageous contracts.

Since the Watson trade Caserio has pushed all the right buttons. He's not been perfect, no one is but he's turned a laughingstock into a competitor now while giving the Texans cap space to improve even more next offseason. Carstereo (as Thorn used to call him) has earned my trust, not that that matters.

I like this signing! Doing a good job of shoring up the back end of the defense
Another infamous bargain basement clearance item for Tricky Nicky to fawn over. Yawn.

What you're telling me is that going from filet mignon to sirlion is the same as going from filet mignon to ground beef. That dog don't hunt.

There are mid-level starters out there in FA right now—the Sheldon Rankins of the world—who are ripe for picking and who won't bust the cap whatsoever. And if someone special comes along, you can restructure deals, cut guys... there are tons of ways to manipulate the cap. Like I said - they have an open window for a brief moment in time. Once CJ and Will sign their huge deals, we'll have to settle for gum stuck to the bottom of the school desk. Now is not that time. Grab the brass ring. What the hell are you people afraid of? It's like y'all are allergic to a super bowl.

According to Spotrac, Myles Bryant market value was something like 3 years - $22 million. I guess Nick screwed up again by signing a free agent well below market value. Screw him! Why won't he put us into immediate cap hell? I guess he doesn't want to win championships... Yep, that's the only explanation for why he isn't overpaying.

Derrick Brown would be a huge win for the Texans DT room. I’m not sure why the Panthers would trade him. He’s a damn good, solid DT with room to get even better. Yes please.

There are mid level guys, it's just you and Ryans differ on who those mid level guys are. Bryant is a good signing. BTW, who do you want them to bring in?

Wonder if Ryans/Caserio brought Brown in by trade after the draft if Porky would be happy? I know I would be.

Reckon it would take a Rams esque “eff them picks” approach to snare him. Which I am open to depending on the player… Brown is a player I’d be open to parting with pick(s) to snare. I’d assume it’s similar to Sneed. Possibly higher if the Panthers are shopping him. Mainly the contract is the issue.

Derrick Brown would be a huge win for the Texans DT room. I’m not sure why the Panthers would trade him. He’s a damn good, solid DT with room to get even better. Yes please.
Because the Panthers are in rebuild mode and are looking for draft assets and cap space. They aren't winning a SB with Brown so they should look to move on.

A DL of WA/Brown/Autry/Hunter would make the CB's that you're complaining about not have to cover very long. If they trade for Brown and somehow get the opportunity to draft Cooper then look out, that's the best front 7 in the NFL. I could see S being a priority at 3-86 if a trade for Brown happens.

Bryant being able to play both CB/S helps with the lack of depth in the secondary. Is he the all pro player you want? Nope is he a solid player who's an upgrade over what they had back there last yr? Yes he is.

Reckon it would take a Rams esque “eff them picks” approach to snare him. Which I am open to depending on the player… Brown is a player I’d be open to parting with pick(s) to snare. I’d assume it’s similar to Sneed. Possibly higher if the Panthers are shopping him. Mainly the contract is the issue.
I could see Brown being traded for a 2025 2nd and a 2025 3rd. This is where the extra 2025 2nd is invaluable. I could also see a trade like this. 2024, 3-86 and a 2025 Minnesota 2nd. This would be a fair trade IMHO.

I could see Brown being traded for a 2025 2nd and a 2025 3rd. This is where the extra 2025 2nd is invaluable. I could also see a trade like this. 2024, 3-86 and a 2025 Minnesota 2nd. This would be a fair trade IMHO.
Question is what kind of contract would he be looking for and what kind of contract would Nick realistically offer him....

Back