Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Free Agency

I think the Texans need to score more points while the defense stops the other teams offense from scoring more points than the Texans offense. If they can do that, they should win a lot of games.
Ah monsier, but zee treek eez how one is to do dat?

I like collecting the lottery picks. Low risk/high reward. You get one right and it’s great value. Likelihood of them getting it right in a DeMeco defense with this pass rush is higher than normal.

“Henderson was benched down the stretch in 2023, which was probably the final nail in his proverbial Panthers' coffin. Dan Morgan hasn't allocated an extension in his direction and is unlikely to do so unless there's a drastic shift in course. The fact nobody else has made him a concrete offer is a damning indictment of how his progress is being perceived around the league.
There were questions about how much Henderson wanted to be a football player during his time with the Jaguars. Self-motivation and getting demoralized too easily also became evident in Carolina. He's got the talent, but that's not always enough.”

So supposedly he’s got the talent and no injury issues, but he’s F’d up in the head. But who wouldn’t be a head case from being on that team. I don’t think Nick would have signed if DeMeco wasn’t willing to take a flyer on him.

“Henderson was benched down the stretch in 2023, which was probably the final nail in his proverbial Panthers' coffin. Dan Morgan hasn't allocated an extension in his direction and is unlikely to do so unless there's a drastic shift in course. The fact nobody else has made him a concrete offer is a damning indictment of how his progress is being perceived around the league.
There were questions about how much Henderson wanted to be a football player during his time with the Jaguars. Self-motivation and getting demoralized too easily also became evident in Carolina. He's got the talent, but that's not always enough.”

So supposedly he’s got the talent and no injury issues, but he’s F’d up in the head. But who wouldn’t be a head case from being on that team. I don’t think Nick would have signed if DeMeco wasn’t willing to take a flyer on him.

He has played on the worst team in the league 3 out of 4 seasons. He has not been part of a team with a winning culture since college.

So when did the TicToc Captain Obvious Challenge Competition start? I’ve been out of the loop.

I think it's possible that Henderson's concussion against the Colts could still be impacting him. That was in November if I remember correctly, not that long ago.

Doesn't sound promising. After having guys like JJ and DeMeco and Cush, I hate players like these braindead, soulless losers who don't know how lucky they are to be blessed with that insane talent and don't want to be the absolute best ever.

Awesome, that means the Chiefs will be a worse team this year, and the Titans will be marginally better with Will Levis trying to prove he's more than a backup QB at best.

Chiefs chose pass rush over DB. They feel that they can develop a replacement for Sneed as long as they have a good pass rush to support their DBs. Sneed himself was a 4th round pick afterall.

They just drafted 3 CBs two years ago. Mcduffie, Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson. They obviously feel good about them.

I would bet on the Chiefs ability to develop players to replace the ones they lose.

This is what I hope we can confidently see the Texans do going forward. Find value in the mid to late rounds of the draft, develop the player. Then when its time to pay them, flip them for draft picks and have another player groomed to replace them. This is how you remain a championship football team after paying your franchise QB.

As for the Titans: They chose not to pay their top pass rusher (Autry) and are now paying Sneed to improve the secondary when they have lost some sizzle to their pass rush.

They also are paying Ridley to be Levis’ stud WR1. He’s now 29 and barely cracked 1000 yards in 17 games playing with Trevor Lawrence. I would not bet on him living up to the payday he just received.

This gif is how I feel about the Titans:

1711187866732.gif

Chiefs chose pass rush over DB. They feel that they can develop a replacement for Sneed as long as they have a good pass rush to support their DBs. Sneed himself was a 4th round pick afterall.

They just drafted 3 CBs two years ago. Mcduffie, Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson. They obviously feel good about them.

I would bet on the Chiefs ability to develop players to replace the ones they lose.

This is what I hope we can confidently see the Texans do going forward. Find value in the mid to late rounds of the draft, develop the player. Then when its time to pay them, flip them for draft picks and have another player groomed to replace them. This is how you remain a championship football team after paying your franchise QB.

Which kind of sucks. I don't want to lose players we grow attached to. It's a bit soulless and station-to-station and cookie cutter. I want to rock with the same guys year in year out.

But I understand this is how it goes. And I agree. For coaches too.

Don’t you think a big part of that was the 2:1 time of possession advanythe Tavens had? Can’t stop the run and the clock ticks away.

While watching the game, it was clear to me that we did not have answers for the Ravens defense... no separation with the receivers. no answer in the run game, etc... They did us a favor, though, exposing our weaknesses so clearly for us right before the off-season.

Man I would have made that same deal with the Chiefs. Instead he goes to a direct competitor and helps improve that team. Nick has made two stellar moves so far, but taking those away…Nick is getting worked over like Drago against Rocky this off-season. And now per Aaron Wilson, they aren’t pursuing anyone in the secondary. What the hell is Nick doing? Playing tiddlywinks? Nick needs to get to work and improve this team. If he relies on the draft, that’s fools gold. He has the money to sign a couple of mid-level starters in FA.

So far, this off-season is a C- primarily due to getting worse at DT and the secondary. How do you get to a SB going backwards? I’ll say it again, your franchise QB is on his rookie deal. WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING.

Man I would have made that same deal with the Chiefs. Instead he goes to a direct competitor and helps improve that team. Nick has made two stellar moves so far, but taking those away…Nick is getting worked over like Drago against Rocky this off-season. And now per Aaron Wilson, they aren’t pursuing anyone in the secondary. What the hell is Nick doing? Playing tiddlywinks? Nick needs to get to work and improve this team. If he relies on the draft, that’s fools gold. He has the money to sign a couple of mid-level starters in FA.

So far, this off-season is a C- primarily due to getting worse at DT and the secondary. How do you get to a SB going backwards? I’ll say it again, your franchise QB is on his rookie deal. WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING.

giphy.gif

Which kind of sucks. I don't want to lose players we grow attached to. It's a bit soulless and station-to-station and cookie cutter. I want to rock with the same guys year in year out.

But I understand this is how it goes. And I agree. For coaches too.
Coaches are a huge part of team cohesion - I'm stoked we were able to keep our group together and believe we will see dividends this season.

LMAO,

Remove the good moves from any team and their FA period wouldn't look as good. fact is they got the best pass rusher in the NFL and with Stingley on one side they can play more zone on the other side to protect Odukah/Henderson who are guys that obviously have talent but have had injury issues in the past. They will pick a CB in this draft, but it will probably be a guy like Melton/Stiggers/Brownlee unless a guy like DeJean/Wggins fall to 2-42. These CB's are very good even though you probably haven't heard of them. I would like to hear BL's opinion on the 2nd tier CB's and what he thinks of them. He's generally very good at identifying undervalued CB's.

Let me ask you this, if a talent like DeJohn or Wiggins falls to 2-42 and Sweat is also on the board, who are you picking?

LMAO,

Remove the good moves from any team and their FA period wouldn't look as good. fact is they got the best pass rusher in the NFL and with Stingley on one side they can play more zone on the other side to protect Odukah/Henderson who are guys that obviously have talent but have had injury issues in the past. They will pick a CB in this draft, but it will probably be a guy like Melton/Stiggers/Brownlee unless a guy like DeJean/Wggins fall to 2-42. These CB's are very good even though you probably haven't heard of them. I would like to hear BL's opinion on the 2nd tier CB's and what he thinks of them. He's generally very good at identifying undervalued CB's.

Let me ask you this, if a talent like DeJohn or Wiggins falls to 2-42 and Sweat is also on the board, who are you picking?
You gotta take the skill position guys.
I reckon you can get a good run stuffer in a later round.

Yep, people want ready made players, but some you need to develop. They developed Justin Reid but let him walk. You don't hear or see anything about him being a weakness.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

When was the last off-season that you were "happy" with what the team did during the first two weeks of free agency? Perhaps that context would help me understand your expectations. I just can't wrap my head around Texan fans disliking what this team is doing.

LMAO,

Sweat. Right now DT is the worst position group on the team. DeMeco’s publicly stated goal was to improve that group. If anyone says they have improved that group with a straight face and no fingers crossed behind their back you have a future in politics.

Last. Year. My only worry was too many one year deals…which has come back to bite them in the ass. Another year was 2011.

They've done a good job replacing guys IMHO and they aren't through replacing guys. Caserio will have 25 mil in cap space available which is really 14 mil available after the draft pool. This is after cutting Woods. I see Caserio adding a S like Simmons or Diggs and having the rest of the cap to make in season moves like trading for Jones/Green or signing guys that get cut like Barnett/Tart. What I wonder about is whether Caserio is able to extend Collins or what that extension may look like.

They've done a good job replacing guys IMHO and they aren't through replacing guys. Caserio will have 25 mil in cap space available which is really 14 mil available after the draft pool. This is after cutting Woods. I see Caserio adding a S like Simmons or Diggs and having the rest of the cap to make in season moves like trading for Jones/Green or signing guys that get cut like Barnett/Tart. What I wonder about is whether Caserio is able to extend Collins or what that extension may look like.
I think he likes to keep some change in his pocket for those in-season moves like last season.

Or… Nick could’ve chose pass rush and believed in his coaches’ ability to develop players in the secondary who will benefit from that pass rush. Which seems to be working for the Chiefs.

Sweat. Right now DT is the worst position group on the team. DeMeco’s publicly stated goal was to improve that group. If anyone says they have improved that group with a straight face and no fingers crossed behind their back you have a future in politics.
Sweat is not a three down guy and as such, not worth pick #42.
You can get a similar style of player in a later round.

I think Sweat has everything to be a 3 down player. Now, if we were to draft him, I don't think he would be for us, because of our depth of pass rushers. However, he would be used on 3rd and 4... and he would be, IMO, a major asset in those 3rd and short-mediums as well as on run downs, obviously.

I don't think we will draft Sweat, and I don't really want us to draft him, because I want a WR, but I am a fan of his.

I'd prefer Caserio/Ryans take whoever they think fits their scheme over just taking a big body at DT. If it's Sweat, I'm cool with that.

Disagree all you want, but a decent big run stuffer can be found in a later round.
Take the skill players up high.
Sweat is in a class to himself... he's an elite run stopper that will totally disrupt a teams running game and he's very good at collapsing the pocket so your edge rushers can eat. I get that you don't think highly of him, but I've watched every game he's played the last two years and like most pro scouts I like him a lot

I think Sweat has everything to be a 3 down player. Now, if we were to draft him, I don't think he would be for us, because of our depth of pass rushers. However, he would be used on 3rd and 4... and he would be, IMO, a major asset in those 3rd and short-mediums as well as on run downs, obviously.

I don't think we will draft Sweat, and I don't really want us to draft him, because I want a WR, but I am a fan of his.
Sweat is good at taking up blockers. Not much else. He can push the pocket some, but his main attribute is taking up space. Do the Texans have the players to take advantage of those situations? Aaron Donald accomplished at a much smaller size.

I'd prefer Caserio/Ryans take whoever they think fits their scheme over just taking a big body at DT. If it's Sweat, I'm cool with that.
I think it'll be more than scheme fit. Sweat fits the scheme. It'll be more character and dedication to being the best. Just throwing stuff out there, but I'd guess Ryans would want Sweat to play at 340 - 350. This would improve his stamina and conditioning. What will sell Sweat to Ryans will be his interviews.

I want them to draft Sweat and a WR.

Sweat is good at taking up blockers. Not much else. He can push the pocket some, but his main attribute is taking up space. Do the Texans have the players to take advantage of those situations? Aaron Donald accomplished at a much smaller size.

I’m not sure about that, I kinda think he is more” he just seems to move fairly quick for a big guy and constantly penetrating and jumping for the pass block if he knows he is not getting there on time. I mean he really looks like a “football player “ if you know what I mean. I’m not sure about his endurance, admitting to not watching complete games. Takes plays off? Not sure about that yet,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comparing Aaron Donald to Sweat is apples to oranges.

This afternoon I took a quick look at the Ravens playoff game. My previous comments were pretty much correct. Ryans defense consistently had a DT lined up on the Center, mostly at the 1 tech but occasionally at the 0 tech. This is the role Sweat would play in a Ryan defense.

Aaron Donald lines up further out, recently at RE or LE, but in the past at RDT or LDT.

I'd compare Sweat more to Vince Wilfork.

But I'd add, further down the draft board, 3rd/4th round, McKinnley Jackson would be available for the same role, DL1T.

Remind me... when was the last free agency signing period where our people had two stellar free agent signings and several upgrades in other positions including backup? For some reason, I'm having problems remembering that..

And sign him to the 4 year 76 million dollar deal the Tennessee did…no thanks. I’d rather pay Stroud and Anderson, but hey maybe that’s just me.

Using Drafttek, I think I'd shoot for LB Edgerrin Cooper at 2/59. At 3/86, WRs Jermaine Burton and Brenden Rice may still be on the board. Also Jalen McMillan.
I am hoping that Rice falls to the fourth round second pick and Nick grabs him. I am thinking more and more that the Texans will go for Worthy at 42. Texas and 4.21 with 1k yards.
And sign him to the 4 year 76 million dollar deal the Tennessee did…no thanks. I’d rather pay Stroud and Anderson, but hey maybe that’s just me.
I would be okay with paying huge bucks for the right cornerback just not Snead

While watching the game, it was clear to me that we did not have answers for the Ravens defense... no separation with the receivers. no answer in the run game, etc... They did us a favor, though, exposing our weaknesses so clearly for us right before the off-season.
I also think too many 3 and outs contributed to the TOP disparity.
The Ravens had TD drives of 55 yards, 93 yards, and 78 yards coming out of the half. All Ravens 2nd half drives ended in scores. That is domination and no WR was going to reverse that.

The Ravens had TD drives of 55 yards, 93 yards, and 78 yards coming out of the half. All Ravens 2nd half drives ended in scores. That is domination and no WR was going to reverse that.
Butttt .....a good offense will have the ability to extend plays, score TDs and eat up clock.
We definitely needed more gunpowder on offense (3 points won't cut it) and I think we will have that this season.

Back