Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Free Agency

Another infamous bargain basement clearance item for Tricky Nicky to fawn over. Yawn.

And the 2011 CB market isn't apples to oranges.

What you're telling me is that going from filet mignon to sirlion is the same as going from filet mignon to ground beef. That dog don't hunt.

There are mid-level starters out there in FA right now—the Sheldon Rankins of the world—who are ripe for picking and who won't bust the cap whatsoever. And if someone special comes along, you can restructure deals, cut guys... there are tons of ways to manipulate the cap. Like I said - they have an open window for a brief moment in time. Once CJ and Will sign their huge deals, we'll have to settle for gum stuck to the bottom of the school desk. Now is not that time. Grab the brass ring. What the hell are you people afraid of? It's like y'all are allergic to a super bowl.

Exactly who was "filet mignon" that they lost?

Question is what kind of contract would he be looking for and what kind of contract would Nick realistically offer him....

Wilkins and Jones contracts. So a lot…I’d find a way to fit him in while Stroud is on his rookie contract. Then hope I can hit on draft picks/cheap FAs at other positions when I have to pay the QB.

I mean it would quite down the DT cupboard is bare crowd, but I just don’t see the Panthers dealing him.
It's not like Brown has set the league on fire in Carolina. They haven't extended Brown. He's not the type of DT that gets big bucks on the FA market. But Brown is 26 so Ryans and Burke may be able to get more out of him. Depending on the trade package, Brown is worth a try.
Probably a contract that the penny pinchers wouldn't like.
Depends. Armstead got $14.5 million AAV. I wouldn't go much more than that.

Seems a bit high. Overthecap has the "effective" ap space at $12.9M. That's taking into account all contracts plus projected rookie contracts.

OvertheCap says: Team Cap Space: $15,176,401
Sportrac says: Cap Space (w/Top 51) $18,083,206
Twitter guy says around 19m, but notes that doesn't include unofficial signings. That's probably where the disparity is, the confirmation of some details on contracts that have been agreed upon, but not yet made available to them.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OvertheCap says: Team Cap Space: $15,176,401
Sportrac says: Cap Space (w/Top 51) $18,083,206
Twitter guy says around 19m, but notes that doesn't include unofficial signings. That's probably where the disparity is, the confirmation of some details on contracts that have been agreed upon, but not yet made available to them.

🤷‍♂️
OvertheCap has another column for Effective Cap Space. I suspect this is a bit arbitrary; you never want to get down to $0, so they come up with an "effective" cap.

My understanding is that effective cap is an approximation of what you actually can spend i.e. knowing that you have to pay draft picks and other payroll expenses.

example: I have $5000 in the bank, but my $500 car note is due by the end of the month. the effective amount of money that I have to spend is $4500.

Give me a break. The guy was a UDFA and was waived in 2020 by NE. Now he's a day one starter and some kind of great signing? Talk about fluffed up BS. He ran a 4.62 at the combine. He's not a #2 outside corner. I could see him as a guy competing with King for snaps inside/nickel. He can't play outside. No way. I wonder if he could play safety?

Give me a break. The guy was a UDFA and was waived in 2020 by NE. Now he's a day one starter and some kind of great signing? Talk about fluffed up BS. He ran a 4.62 at the combine. He's not a #2 outside corner. I could see him as a guy competing with King for snaps inside/nickel. He can't play outside. No way. I wonder if he could play safety?

So are you saying you don’t like adding competition to the nickel position with a player that did play everywhere in New England’s secondary?

Because he was a UDFA cut in camp his rookie season (then brought back via PS and activated to active roster later in season.

Maybe you should look up James Harrison’s history.

So are you saying you don’t like adding competition to the nickel position with a player that did play everywhere in New England’s secondary?

Because he was a UDFA cut in camp his rookie season (then brought back via PS and activated to active roster later in season.

Maybe you should look up James Harrison’s history.

No what I'm saying is there's a 5 alarm fire going on at CB #2 and Nick is busy signing nickel corners and rejects instead of a proven quality #2 outside corner. If the Texas are serious about making a run, they can't just fill the back end of the roster with jags and rejects that never worked out and hope it's all going to magically going to come toghether because Ryans fairy dust gets sprinkled on them.

But to be clear - I see it as a decent depth signing for nickel and possibly even safety. I just want them to be aggressive and sign Nelson or someone that can play outside #2 corner to where you know what you're getting. Maybe they are waiting to see what lands on draft day, and they will sign someone in May. That's ok if it happens and they get a starter for #2 corner. I just don't see the plan right now.

Last edited:
Come on, Porky. Did steelbtexan of the old days hack into your account and is now posing as you? Breathe! We've got a plan! Let's stick to it.

Belichick said he played Bryant all over the secondary. Quit reading stats and watch the guy play. I think he'll make an outstanding S.

No what I'm saying is there's a 5 alarm fire going on at CB #2 and Nick is busy signing nickel corners and rejects instead of a proven quality #2 outside corner. If the Texas are serious about making a run, they can't just fill the back end of the roster with jags and rejects that never worked out and hope it's all going to magically going to come toghether because - Ryans fairly dust gets sprinkled on them.

But to be clear - I see it as a decent depth signing for nickel and possibly even safety. I just want them to be aggressive and sign Nelson or someone that can play outside the corner to where you know what you're getting. Maybe they are waiting to see what lands on draft day and they will sign someone in May. That's ok if it happens and they get a starter for #2 corner. I just don't see the plan right now.
Nelson is no better than the guys they've added. Do you think if Ryans wanted to bring Nelson back he would be a Texan? Who else do you want to add?

I hate posts like the one Aaron made. It is almost like when someone dies, everyone says they lit up the room, was an amazing person, brought a smile to everyone's face... when honestly that person was most likely an unlovable asshole. What do people expect the executives to say. They suck, did a horrible job etc. Now I do believe it all but come on now.

Their largely in-house offseason mission notwithstanding, the Colts did pursue Danielle Hunter. The Texas native chose Houston, but Holder adds Indianapolis offered more money. That said, it would be a bit surprising if the Colts’ proposal included more guaranteed money than Hunter received. The Texans gave the longtime Vikings edge rusher a $49MM deal that came nearly fully guaranteed; the 10th-year vet locked in $48MM at signing.

L
I see Bryant more as a S with the ability to play Nickle.

I was wondering if he could play safety. Admittedly, I never watched him play. My first thought was ‘who’ and I keep up reasonably well with other teams rosters. But I looked at his combine numbers. He’s definitely to slow to play outside corner full-time. Maybe there’s a package where he plays it…but really he’s a nickel corner. So my first thought was, he is completion for pt with King…but I started seeing a guy that might be more well suited for safety. But see below as Ryans may want hi. Exclusively at nickel.

D King info. If you guys recall I was beside myself when they kept Thomas and dumped King. I’ve since heard that Ryans dumped King for a non-football reason. Thomas ended up being bad..just like I said he would be..Ryans got desperate and brought King back, but he doesn’t want King on this roster…hence the signing of Bryant. If the competition is close, expect Bryant to win that job and for King to be released. I don’t know what set Ryans off, or maybe it’s general attitude…no idea. I have not heard. I just know it’s something.

Diggs! Add Diggs to this WR room, and now your talking about a big time move on offense…more than Mixon.. We already know they went hard after Allen, so they are on the hunt for a vet star WR. We also know Diggs wants out of Buffalo and the Texans have already been linked to Diggs.

Put 2+2 together guys. This isn’t rocket science. They are working on bringing Diggs here and signing an extension.

Diggs! Add Diggs to this WR room, and now your talking about a big time move on offense…more than Mixon.. We already know they went hard after Allen, so they are on the hunt for a vet star WR. We also know Diggs wants out of Buffalo and the Texans have already been linked to Diggs.

Put 2+2 together guys. This isn’t rocket science. They are working on bringing Diggs here and signing an extension.
There were rumblings during the probowl that he and Stroud hit it off, but from the rumblings around the league is that Diggs isnt a good locker room guy...and if he cant buy into Demeco's SWARM mentality and culture...then I dont know that there would be an exception or any room for locker room cancers.

There were rumblings during the probowl that he and Stroud hit it off, but from the rumblings around the league is that Diggs isnt a good locker room guy...and if he cant buy into Demeco's SWARM mentality and culture...then I dont know that there would be an exception or any room for locker room cancers.
Doesn't the SWARM mentality primarily pertain to the D?

That’s my one concern, and partially explains why he’s available. I think Ryans will have a heart to heart with him and tell him that’s not how we do things here. If he ends up being a problem child, there are ways to deal with it, but I have a feeling he won’t be a major issue. It’s hard to totally get the diva out if him, but if he can just be a mini diva while he rolls up gigantic numbers…I’m ok with it.

To make this short - he is talented enough to be worth the risk imho.

I think you are right - Texans went after a prime RB piece and missed out on SB, but still got a great piece in Mixon.
Add to this the word out there suggests they were in on Keenan Allen and missed out so they are obviously still in on a WR.
Texans are obviously trying to boost both sides of the ball so I suspect we will yet see a vet WR brought in here. This would also free up a draft pick for something else.
Just wondering on your thoughts about a vet LG or RT? With the problems still evident on the line, it might be wise to bring in a vet RT that can swing inside to Guard - just in case...
We could do with a decent replacement for Shaq Mason.

Last edited:
That’s my one concern, and partially explains why he’s available. I think Ryans will have a heart to heart with him and tell him that’s not how we do things here. If he ends up being a problem child, there are ways to deal with it, but I have a feeling he won’t be a major issue. It’s hard to totally get the diva out if him, but if he can just be a mini diva while he rolls up gigantic numbers…I’m ok with it.

To make this short - he is talented enough to be worth the risk imho.
yeah, good speed, good hands, good route runner, creates separation, but doesnt track the ball well if its up and has to make an over the shoulder catch...but its rare that Stroud lays up prayers like that....usually he drops it in the bucket

Diggs could have an Ed Reed affect. Thats my fear and I hope they don’t. Diggs disappears at times in the playoffs.

You have Nico, Dell, Mixon, and Schultz.

Why put a potential locker room cancer that disappears at times in the playoffs that comes with a high price tag?

Someone explain that to me. Small words. No math.

3 weeks ago:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Caserio and Ryans make a move for SWR- Tyler Boyd (CIN) since his cost only involves a contract and money. Boyd would bring a strong veteran presence to the duo of Collins and Dell, while giving Stroud a solid receiver to work the middle of the field. Boyd is also a solid blocker down the field.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Caserio and Ryans make a move for SWR- Tyler Boyd (CIN) since his cost only involves a contract and money. Boyd would bring a strong veteran presence to the duo of Collins and Dell, while giving Stroud a solid receiver to work the middle of the field. Boyd is also a solid blocker down the field.
I would rather Courtland Sutton than Boyd or Diggs
edit: My mistake, was thinking he had been released

Last edited:
Back