Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Draft Talk

They will have to use a 1st on Newton and a 3rd or a 4th on Sweat.

How much do you like Newton?
Depending on where we draft, I would completely draft Newton in the 1st. Ideally, I’d like Coleman, Naber, Bowers, or Odunze, but we might not be drafting high enough to get them. This WR class is deep, so I’m flexible on what position we go after in the 1st. If we can’t get one of the 1st round WRs, there are several I’d go after in round 2.

Last edited:
Depending on where we draft, I would completely draft Newton in the 1st. Ideally, I’d like Coleman, Naber, Bowers, or Odunze, but we might not be drafting high enough to get them. This WR class is deep, so I’m flexible on what position we go after in the 1st. If we can’t get one of the 1st round WRs, there are several I’d go after in round 2.

I still stand by Newton at 1.15-1.20, Legette at 2.47-2.52, and Rocket Sanders at 3.79-3.84. Those three players give us explosive ability on both sides of the ball and will free up WAJ and Greenard/Sanders or whoever we add in Free Agency on the edges. No offensive coordinator is scheming or respecting Collins or Rankins. Having a true interior threat (especially against top tier quarterbacks) is critical. Think about recent Super Bowl champions and or runner ups - Donald, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Buckner including a few I’m sure I am forgetting. Interior pass rush is critical, especially from the 4-3.

I still stand by Newton at 1.15-1.20, Legette at 2.47-2.52, and Rocket Sanders at 3.79-3.84. Those three players give us explosive ability on both sides of the ball and will free up WAJ and Greenard/Sanders or whoever we add in Free Agency on the edges. No offensive coordinator is scheming or respecting Collins or Rankins. Having a true interior threat (especially against top tier quarterbacks) is critical. Think about recent Super Bowl champions and or runner ups - Donald, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Buckner including a few I’m sure I am forgetting. Interior pass rush is critical, especially from the 4-3.
I'm certainly on board with this. If they can get Legette in the 2nd I'm hoping to get Sanders in the 3rd. If he's not there, then give me Cade Stover in the 3rd and Jase McClelland in the 4th. I might even trade up for McClelland.

Drafting Newton would go along with the 49ers philosophy. Newton and Wilkins/Hunter in FA and that's a studly DL that's as good as anybody's DL in the NFL.

WA/Newton/Wilkins/Hunter, give me this over a WR1 in the 1st.

This could happen and isn't some pie in the sky dreaming.

I'm certainly on board with this. If they can get Legette in the 2nd I'm hoping to get Sanders in the 3rd. If he's not there, then give me Cade Stover in the 3rd and Jase McClelland in the 4th. I might even trade up for McClelland.

Drafting Newton would go along with the 49ers philosophy. Newton and Wilkins/Hunter in FA and that's a studly DL that's as good as anybody's DL in the NFL.

WA/Newton/Wilkins/Hunter, give me this over a WR1 in the 1st.

This could happen and isn't some pie in the sky dreaming.
I think Wilkins AND Hunter is a pie in the sky dreaming

I disagree about not scheming against Collins. Collins can wreck a game. He penetrates well and consistent. Now, is he Donald or guys of that ilk? No, but he's disruptive inside. The Texans need more in terms of guys like Hinish shouldn't be playing snaps unless there is an emergency. Sure the could add to the talent, that's without question.

Reactions: JB
I disagree about not scheming against Collins. Collins can wreck a game. He penetrates well and consistent. Now, is he Donald or guys of that ilk? No, but he's disruptive inside. The Texans need more in terms of guys like Hinish shouldn't be playing snaps unless there is an emergency. Sure the could add to the talent, that's without question.
Hopefully as we go forward this offseason players like hinish will disappear off the roster.

I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Nico & Tank. If Metchie & Hutchinson get involved as the season progresses I wouldn't mind if they draft a track star on the 3rd day... if Nick has any picks left.
There are several guys that will be out there. Bryan Thomas LSU and JW"s guy Legette are the guys I like the most. Maybe Worthy if he's still there in the 2nd.

If Legette does what it looks like he's going to do at the combine, he's going in the first Rd

That size and speed is so rare somebody will take a chance on him in the first. If Caserio is picking at day 1-15, I hope he picks Newton. Then if Legette falls to say 1-25 I hope Caserio trades a 2nd, 3rd,4th for Legette. Then comes back for the best TE available with the other 4th. He should think about trading up into the 3rd if Stover falls to the late 3rd, even if it means giving up a 2025 pick.

The three 7th rd picks would be depth pieces.

But Newton, Legette and Stover would make a big difference on this team. I'm kinda torn between picking Stover, Rocket Sanders, McClellan in the 3rd to 4th rd range.

Another TE that's really solid is Jared Wiley from TCU.

Oh! I get it now. You are irritated because Buckeye did not post this thread in the draft forum, correct?
No, I only made that comment in reply to your snarky comment to @Texansballer74. I've not brought it up since October, but you felt the need to make the forums an issue. Think what you will but you brought this move about, no one else.

No, I only made that comment in reply to your snarky comment to @Texansballer74. I've not brought it up since October, but you felt the need to make the forums an issue. Think what you will but you brought this move about, no one else.
Nah.. not buying it. Texansballer74 made a snarky comment [ your definition] about people posting about 2024 draft in a DRAFT thread. Yeah, it's in wrong forum but mods allowed it until you two kept making comments. You and some others always make "snarky " comments about trade proposals, draft suggestions and free agents you think are impossible to sign yet you could avoid the irritation by avoiding those threads or ignoring...

Yet you don't .

Season is already over and the 2024 draft is already here too. Dang how time fly by so quickly!

Nah.. not buying it. Texansballer74 made a snarky comment [ your definition] about people posting about 2024 draft in a DRAFT thread. Yeah, it's in wrong forum but mods allowed it until you two kept making comments. You and some others always make "snarky " comments about trade proposals, draft suggestions and free agents you think are impossible to sign yet you could avoid the irritation by avoiding those threads or ignoring...

Yet you don't .
My comment stands... YOU brought up the forum issue

When did the 49ers sign two top tier FA's to the DL the same year?
This last off-season they signed Hargrave to the largest deal for a IDL in FA and while not technically not a FA they signed Bosa to the largest DL in NFL.

Even though this thread was in the wrong forum, I like this because the thread got more traffic. That's a good thing, IMHO. Oh well what's done is done, to each their own.

Even though this thread was in the wrong forum, I like this because the thread got more traffic. That's a good thing, IMHO. Oh well what's done is done, to each their own.
So you're thinking that forums/sub forums should be done away with? Everything in its place is wrong?

I guess I'm different. To me, it's all one big forum. I hit the "new post button" & every active thread is brought to the front. I rarely know what forum I'm in.

So you're thinking that forums/sub forums should be done away with? Everything in its place is wrong?
No, I'm just glad that thread was put in a place that it got the most traffic. I've got no problem with the mods moving it.

I thought I was pretty clear on my thoughts. I just find it hilarious seeing you guys going back and forth on something so trivial.

Hargrave and Bosa signed the biggest extension for a DL in NFL history.
Even before signing Hargrave, their defense was stout. They pretty much drafted every player on defense. They missed on Thomas and maybe Kinlaw (dl) traded Buckner for a 1st. Aside from the Sherman signing, they've been homegrown.

Reactions: JB
Even before signing Hargrave, their defense was stout. They pretty much drafted every player on defense. They missed on Thomas and maybe Kinlaw (dl) traded Buckner for a 1st. Aside from the Sherman signing, they've been homegrown.
I'm for drafting Newton and signing Wilkins/Hunter in FA. They've got the cap space to do this. This is basically the same as what the 49ers did. Sign Hargave/Bosa for big money )Hargrave/Bosa) = Wilkins/Hunter) and then have cheap guys like (Givens/Farrell) The Texans = (WA/Newton)

This can be done, would you be on board with this?

I'm for drafting Newton and signing Wilkins/Hunter in FA. They've got the cap space to do this. This is basically the same as what the 49ers did. Sign Hargave/Bosa for big money )Hargrave/Bosa) = Wilkins/Hunter) and then have cheap guys like (Givens/Farrell) The Texans = (WA/Newton)

This can be done, would you be on board with this?
I think if you're looking at the prototype or DNA that dt, someone like Maason Smith of LSU or Jordan Birch of Oregon. Someone 6'5, 6'6 300lbs like Buckner and Armstead.

I think if you're looking at the prototype or DNA that dt, someone like Maason Smith of LSU or Jordan Birch of Oregon. Someone 6'5, 6'6 300lbs like Buckner and Armstead.
Give me a young playmaker like Newton and a Mid 20's playmaker like Wilkins and I'm happy for the next 5 years.

I'm not impressed by Smith and the only game I saw of Birch was the Washington game.

I guess I'm different. To me, it's all one big forum. I hit the "new post button" & every active thread is brought to the front. I rarely know what forum I'm in.
Or many times who I am responding to. I am more interested in the flow of conversation than who is saying it where. I get the concept of forums and why but some seem to go OCD. Folks claim not to like a poster or a train of thought yet constantly go into a thread to say a thought being expressed is wild or ridiculous. Forum police force.
We have mods, we don't need others to do that.

Or many times who I am responding to. I am more interested in the flow of conversation than who is saying it where. I get the concept of forums and why but some seem to go OCD. Folks claim not to like a poster or a train of thought yet constantly go into a thread to say a thought being expressed is wild or ridiculous. Forum police force.
We have mods, we don't need others to do that.

True,

I do like the transaction thread, followed by the transition discussion thread.

Like the injury thread, wish there was an injury discussion thread.

Yep, something doesn't look right with him. Maybe he's favoring that injury or something. He's going to get drafted in the 1st rd because of his tools and potential.
I wouldn't pick him in the 1st rd. What range do you think he falls too?

Back