Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Talk

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
SIAP.

So,what position do you believe we'll draft first with Cleveland's pick next April?

Salary cap considerations and free agency make forecasting a pick a bit more murky but it's fun to do so let's talk about it.

I've seen talk of picking an edge rusher to compliment WA. However, unless the staff believes they're drafting a difference-maker, I think we should go elsewhere with our first pick. I doubt we're going to be able to find an elite edge rusher with Cleveland's pick.

Due to Stingley's propensity for injury time off, I suspect we may be using our first pick to draft a CB.

If not a CB then I believe we're picking an OG or center. How about it?

It appears that Chicago will have the first pick in next year's draft using Carolina's pick. It's rumored that Caleb Williams will NOT play for Chicago so maybe Chicago might work out a trade wherein they pick CW and then trade him??? If Chicago decides to stay with Justin Fields, I can envision a scenario wherein they draft both Marvin Harrison and Brock Bowers. That would be scary!

If I had to guess, i’d say DT or CB with that 1st round pick. Both have key players with 1 year deals and the players still around (Stingley) have too many question marks to be relied upon going into another season.

The team needs a difference maker in the middle of the defense to really dominate. Want to see Will Anderson turn into Nick Bosa? Pair him with a difference maker. Collins and Rankins are solid on their best days but we aren’t getting that level of play from them consistently.

I think they will sit on their OL going into next season. Scruggs/Patterson on rookie contracts and Tunsil/Howard/Mason all extended three years. Should have those five together for at least three seasons. Always an opportunity to add depth pieces but I think they will have figured out the bulk of their depth options already with their additions due to the great injury rush on the OL so far this season.

I think Nico/Dell/Metchie/Hutchinson is a solid young core of WRs and Stroud will always make them better. Could always add another, but i’m not going there with a 1st.

TE is an option sure, but rarely do teams pick a TE first round. Would be something to get excited about for sure and I have always wanted a brand new shiny first round TE talent on this team.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, i’d say DT or CB with that 1st round pick. Both have key players with 1 year deals and the players still around (Stingley) have too many question marks to be relied upon going into another season.

I think they will sit on their OL going into next season. Scruggs/Patterson on rookie contracts and Tunsil/Howard/Mason all extended three years. Should have those five together for at least three seasons. Always an opportunity to add depth pieces but I think they will have figured out the bulk of their depth options already with their additions due to the great injury rush on the OL so far this season.

If Latu is available at the Browns/Texans pick, he's worthy of a top 30 pick.

I would rather draft offensive weapons and sign defensive playmakers in FA. Just my philosophy.

Last edited:

The team needs a difference maker in the middle of the defense to really dominate. Want to see Will Anderson turn into Nick Bosa? Pair him with a difference maker. Collins and Rankins are solid on their best days but we aren’t getting that level of play from them consistently.

I think Nico/Dell/Metchie/Hutchinson is a solid young core of WRs and Stroud will always make them better. Could always add another, but i’m not going there with a 1st.

TE is an option sure, but rarely do teams pick a TE first round. Would be something to get excited about for sure and I have always wanted a brand new shiny first round TE talent on this team.

Great post.

If Latu is available at the Browns/Texans pick, he's worthy of a top 30 pick.

I would rather draft offensive weapons and sign defensive playmakers in FA. Just my philosophy.

At the moment Latu is projected to go #4 overall by PFF.

BPA depending where the Browns finish.

Hopefully the Browns gift us a top 5 when all is said and done giving us a lot more options.

PFF is projecting us to get the #14 pick and that we take WR Malik Nabors from LSU. If PFF is correct, we could aso take the following players, whom they have being picked after #14.

CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA
EDGE DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA
CB KALEN KING, PENN STATE
CB NATE WIGGINS, CLEMSON
WR EMEKA EGBUKA, OHIO STATE
DI JER’ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS
EDGE JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE

That's not going to happen, I've got him as my #3 Edge.

1. Verse
2. Turner
3. Latu

That doesn't even take into account guys like Harrison/Bowers/Williams/Maye/Sanders etc...

More PFF BS.

The draft talk is okay, but it is way too early for the rankings to mean anything other than players to watch

It's just for fun. Earlier this year I was telling you that our first pick would need to be an OL. You've been consistently saying receiver. Due to Stingley's situation, we may need a CB. Who knows?

Getting back to Chicago for a moment, I suppose another possibility is Chicago trading Justin Fields and using Carolina's #1 pick to take Caleb William, Shadeur Sanders, or Drake Maye. They would get some good craft capital for Fields and along with their own #1 pick, they could then take Marvin Harrison and/or Brock Bowers. Long story short, Bears fans are going to be extremely enthusiastic next April.

It's just for fun. Earlier this year I was telling you that our first pick would need to be an OL. You've been consistently saying receiver. Due to Stingley's situation, we may need a CB. Who knows?
Exactly! And by the time the draft comes around it may very well be OL, but I doubt it.

Getting back to Chicago for a moment, I suppose another possibility is Chicago trading Justin Fields and using Carolina's #1 pick to take Caleb William, Shadeur Sanders, or Drake Maye. They would get some good craft capital for Fields and along with their own #1 pick, they could then take Marvin Harrison and/or Brock Bowers. Long story short, Bears fans are going to be extremely enthusiastic next April.
At this point they would not get good draft capital for Fields... subject to change

SIAP.

So,what position do you believe we'll draft first with Cleveland's pick next April?

Salary cap considerations and free agency make forecasting a pick a bit more murky but it's fun to do so let's talk about it.

I've seen talk of picking an edge rusher to compliment WA. However, unless the staff believes they're drafting a difference-maker, I think we should go elsewhere with our first pick. I doubt we're going to be able to find an elite edge rusher with Cleveland's pick.

Due to Stingley's propensity for injury time off, I suspect we may be using our first pick to draft a CB.

If not a CB then I believe we're picking an OG or center. How about it?
WR has been a surprise for me but IIRC Collins, Tank and Woods each had 3 receptions, not a dominant WR 1 IMO. I think there are at least two I want that could fill that role and neither are first thought by most or rated highly as of today.

CB and I know most disagree but I am counting on nothing from Stingley & anything is extra. Nelson is steady but I draft now to get my CB 1 for future and as with WR, I could see drafting two. My guy is not well known but will climb as season progresses.

DT I am still not pleased with any we have but think Caserio might make a trade but probably just keeps what we have.

DE not desperate but I want one. Some good ones should be gone by our pick.

WOW, as much as I like, I don't see him that high.. now. He needs to have a good game next week as he didn't play this week end. Jared Verse and Dallas Turner ranked higher by most I see. Some throw Chop Robinson above him but I don't.

Exactly! And by the time the draft comes around it may very well be OL, but I doubt it.

What's disappointing, in an otherwise positive season (so far), is Stingley's situation. We had all hoped that he would remain healthy and become the dominant CB that it was thought he would be in the league. And here we are now considering the possibility that CB will be our #1 need just two years after drafting him.

1696826931718.png

IMO we need to get better in the middle on offense and defense. DT and OG are weakest positions on team, my first two picks would go to fix that. Jer'Zhan Newton at DT and Zak Zinter at OG would be my targets.

I'm sure Nick can find someone coming off career jeopardizing surgery who will convince him that they'll be ready to go by OTA's and who then will play intermittently through two seasons before being out of football or having a string of 8 games that will get some other sucker to sign them to another contract..

Seriously though I think we still have enough needs to be able to look at the best player available at almost any position and proceed with the obvious (if we can just get the Texans to actually do that). I'm thinking we need OL badly. At least one very good FA and one first or second round draft pick.

Major areas of need and concern are OL, CB, and WR.
Depending on who is available at what pick would determine what I would select first.

And perhaps this Oline gets healthy and the OL need changes...if/when Scruggs comes back and takes over at C,and if Patterson moves over to LG and solves that spot then OL wont be a huge priority. Then I would go with CB, WR, and DL

And again depending on where we are selecting and the available talent..that would determine what position I would draft first.

I'm sure Nick can find someone coming off career jeopardizing surgery who will convince him that they'll be ready to go by OTA's and who then will play intermittently through two seasons before being out of football or having a string of 8 games that will get some other sucker to sign them to another contract..

Seriously though I think we still have enough needs to be able to look at the best player available at almost any position and proceed with the obvious (if we can just get the Texans to actually do that). I'm thinking we need OL badly. At least one very good FA and one first or second round draft pick.

Lets get this OL healthy and together before we declare IOL as a huge need. Scruggs getting healthy and playing well could solve a bunch of issues.

If you want the offense to get better put play makers like Nabers/Bowers/Worthy etc... around Stroud. BTW, I see a versatile RB as a pretty big need.

I dont see CB as big of a need as some do. Maybe draft for depth but I thought the Texans backup CB's performed pretty well yesterday since Ridder was hardly pressured at all.

Lets get this OL healthy and together before we declare IOL as a huge need. Scruggs getting healthy and playing well could solve a bunch of issues.

If you want the offense to get better put play makers like Nabers/Bowers/Worthy etc... around Stroud. BTW, I see a versatile RB as a pretty big need.

I dont see CB as big of a need as some do. Maybe draft for depth but I thought the Texans backup CB's performed pretty well yesterday since Ridder was hardly pressured at all.

I like the part about the RB. Pierce is impressive but he's not a franchise back. At least he hasn't proven it yet. He's more of a complimentary guy in a group and holding down the "We need a fresh battering ram" role. Watching him yesterday gave me concerns about his vision. They either have it or they don't. Davis and Foster had it. Ben Tate "kinda" had it. Pierce looks more like a Ben Tate to me than an Arian Foster in that respect.

I like the part about the RB. Pierce is impressive but he's not a franchise back. At least he hasn't proven it yet. He's more of a complimentary guy in a group and holding down the "We need a fresh battering ram" role. Watching him yesterday gave me concerns about his vision. They either have it or they don't. Davis and Foster had it. Ben Tate "kinda" had it. Pierce looks more like a Ben Tate to me than an Arian Foster in that respect.
Yep. That play where he was by himself after he got the ball and ran right into the two defenders.

I dont know that Pierce skillset is a great fit as the main guy in a WCO. He reminds me of Elijah Mitchell. A good but far from great back. I'm looking at drafting Jase McClelland in the 3rd- 4th rd. He's very skilled in all aspects of the game.

I really don't understand people saying we need oline. We just signed 3 extensions this year for our RT, LT, and RG. LG and C are still up for grabs but Scruggs played well in the preseason (we'll know more about how he looks pretty soon here as I think he'll get his start against NO or Carolina). There's also Patterson who has played well enough as a rookie that there's reason to think he will be a starting quality player, at the very least he's a great IOL depth piece.

Then we have Fant and Jones who have shown they can play in this league (if we choose to sign them back this offseason). Then there's Kendrick Green who was awful in Pittsburgh but played well enough here (before he got injured). Then there's Kenyon Green, while I've mostly given up on him he was still a highly rated prospect out of college there's always a chance.

That got long winded but my point is we're kinda full up there at the moment unless we're gonna try to draft another guard early I guess. Always a good idea to take an olineman or 2 round 3 or later but I don't see a spot for another highly drafted olineman.

I really don't understand people saying we need oline. We just signed 3 extensions this year for our RT, LT, and RG. LG and C are still up for grabs but Scruggs played well in the preseason (we'll know more about how he looks pretty soon here as I think he'll get his start against NO or Carolina). There's also Patterson who has played well enough as a rookie that there's reason to think he will be a starting quality player, at the very least he's a great IOL depth piece.

Then we have Fant and Jones who have shown they can play in this league (if we choose to sign them back this offseason). Then there's Kendrick Green who was awful in Pittsburgh but played well enough here (before he got injured). Then there's Kenyon Green, while I've mostly given up on him he was still a highly rated prospect out of college there's always a chance.

That got long winded but my point is we're kinda full up there at the moment unless we're gonna try to draft another guard early I guess. Always a good idea to take an olineman or 2 round 3 or later but I don't see a spot for another highly drafted olineman.

I think in my case it's a knee-jerk reaction. I mean, I've been wanting a better OL since only 2002.... It always seems like a good place to burn a pick and we always seem to need one. Steelbtexan is right, they just need to play together and all be healthy at the same time. Until then it's not like we even know how good they could be.

What's disappointing, in an otherwise positive season (so far), is Stingley's situation. We had all hoped that he would remain healthy and become the dominant CB that it was thought he would be in the league. And here we are now considering the possibility that CB will be our #1 need just two years after drafting him.

View attachment 12807
I know that I wrote the days after he was drafted that he may, may be okay his first year and that would probably be his best, most productive year in the league. Because all signs pointed at him having these issues very early in his career and his career would be very short.

I'm not feeling disappointed because this is what I expected. I was disappointed when they drafted him.

Hopefully a CB will be available when the Texans are drafting in 2024.

I think in my case it's a knee-jerk reaction. I mean, I've been wanting a better OL since only 2002.... It always seems like a good place to burn a pick and we always seem to need one. Steelbtexan is right, they just need to play together and all be healthy at the same time. Until then it's not like we even know how good they could be.
Yeah I get where you’re coming from but the cards have been dealt it’s time to make what we have work.

There's not a DT in this draft that's worth a top 30 pick.

I re-sign Nelson and run it back with the same secondary. Probably add a late rd S or CB.

What I want Ryans/Caserio to do is draft to the strength of the draft. WR/TE/LB/RB. There are a few good Edge guys out there.

I know a lot of people will say WR but that's a deep position group that we should be able to target later on through the draft.

I'd be looking at DLine (trade up for Jer'Zhan Newton or Leonard Taylor) especially the interior and CB. LB is another group that needs additions but I see it similar to WR where it can be addressed later.

Certainly a lot of 1 win teams.

The Browns pick is going to be middle of rd at best. The wr talent this year is deep, real deep. They could move back to back end of 1st and pick up a 2nd or so and still get a top end wr and a dt

We are full of guys with little or no NFL history with serious concerns of injury. In addition, the knee of Tunsil could remain an issue or lead to contra lateral problems.

I don't see a 1st but if Beebe Cooper is selected in round 2, I would understand.

Latu's neck injury remains a caution for me despite medical clearance from one school but not another. Great come-back in 2022.
Only 3 tackles vs Washington but one fumble and one sack. Next game should provide more info.

The Browns pick is going to be middle of rd at best. The wr talent this year is deep, real deep. They could move back to back end of 1st and pick up a 2nd or so and still get a top end wr and a dt

Wouldn't it be really good to end up with this after the draft.

Trade and end up with something like this,

Rd.1 Latu DE UCLA
Late Rd. 1 trading up Odunze WR Washington.
Rd.3 Cade Stover TE Ohio St.
Rd.4 Jase McClelland RB Alabama.

Add a guy like DT Wilkins in FA, along with a LB like Jordyn Brooks and you've got a contender.

Last edited:
After yesterday, you kind of wish they had a WR number 1. Nico Collins was bracketed and a non factor.
Devante Adams has been bracketed by teams this year and has not looked like Devante Adams.
Still, good receivers usually manage to shine.
One interesting prospect is Emeka Egbuka - CJ's favorite target in college.

Back