Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Texans NFL Projection/Ranking

Exactly who are you referring to? I believe I'm the only one who has pointed out Mills' injury to his thumb. And I didn't use this injury as an excuse; I simply pointed out the fact. In a previous post I mentioned I didn't know what impact the injury had on his game. But you and several other posters totally ignore the fact he had this injury. On multiple occasions I asked for comment on whether a thumb injury was impactful on a qb's play which you and others chose to ignore. My posts are simply offered to counterbalance your shortsightedness.
If the shoe fits, wear it proudly.? Nothing about my stance is shortsighted at all. This is something I’ve noticed for years about a select few. When they don’t like a player, they’re extra critical.?l When they like a certain player , they throw around the same excuses they claim others do for the player they don’t like.

Did you ask this same exact counterbalance question when Watson was playing with hurt ribs?

Last edited:
They didn’t do it backwards this time. They did something similar to what the Bengals did when they drafted Burrow. The Colts did with Manning. Then those two started building .
All because we don’t like or wouldn’t have done that way, doesn’t mean they’re wrong.
Neither the Colts or the Bengals had a brand new HC & a brand new OC. Neither the Colts or the Bengals fired their previous HC & OC twice in the previous two seasons.

We need to tackle better, we need to block better, we haven't played at an NFL level in a minute.

When they don’t like a player, they’re extra critical.?l When they like a certain player , they throw around the same excuses they claim others do for the playe they don’t like.
Do you by chance notice when you're doing the same thing?
Did you ask this same exact counterbalance question when Watson was playing with hurt ribs?
I'm pretty sure I defended Watson up until that day he said he didn't want to be in Houston.

Neither the Colts or the Bengals had a brand new HC & a brand new OC. Neither the Colts or the Bengals fired their previous HC & OC twice in the previous two seasons.

We need to tackle better, we need to block better, we haven't played at an NFL level in a minute.
They still drafted their franchise quarterback and built around them.

Both of those teams were not good at all. Especially the Bengals, they were dealing with bull crap too.

Once Watson was drafted I don't recall posting one way or the other on him. Until the *hitstorm hit, in fact, I was rather in his corner, about like I'm now in Stroud's corner. But I don't ignore facts.
Then I wasn’t talking about you Numbers. And again when he got hurt against Dallas and played the following week, why didn’t we question those who we’re questioning his decision making, holding onto the ball too long and etc?

It's not defending a player to say I'm going to give him three years before I close the book on him. That's all I said.
Unless you're a first round QB, you're not gonna have that much of a chance.

Mills TD/INT ratio was 33-25 with a pedestrian 6.1 AYA (air yard per attempt).
He ran 50 times for 152 yards, roughly 3ypc
He had 26 starts, going 5-19-1

Minshew had 24 starts, going 8-16
TD/INT ratio 37-11 with a 7.2+ AYA
He ran 96 times for 497 yards, 5ypc.

In came Lawrence.
Bye-bye Minshew.

Do you by chance notice when you're doing the same thing?

I'm pretty sure I defended Watson up until that day he said he didn't want to be in Houston.
I wasn’t talking about you either then. And no I am not extra critical on any player unless it’s warranted.

For the record I was pulling for Mills last season to be the man. If he stands out, we’re not drafting CJ.

I agree, for the most part. Not a lot of "good" tape on Davis in 2022. I never thought he was going to be a franchise QB, but I think he could be a solid starter. Hopefully we don't ever find out. We got Cj.

& I'm not mad the Texans drafted Cj. I wouldn't have. Nothing against Cj. But we've been doing things backaswards for a while now & it needs to stop.
The backaswards has continued.

Not building a team out before drafting your QB?

Where have I seen this show before?

Last edited:
They didn’t do it backwards this time. They did something similar to what the Bengals did when they drafted Burrow. The Colts did with Manning. Then those two started building .
All because we don’t like or wouldn’t have done it that way, doesn’t mean they’re wrong.
Like with Carr

Doesn't mean their right either.

Their track record over the last 2 decades says they most likely got it wrong.

Unless you're a first round QB, you're not gonna have that much of a chance.

Mills TD/INT ratio was 33-25 with a pedestrian 6.1 AYA (air yard per attempt).
He ran 50 times for 152 yards, roughly 3ypc
He had 26 starts, going 5-19-1

Minshew had 24 starts, going 8-16
TD/INT ratio 37-11 with a 7.2+ AYA
He ran 96 times for 497 yards, 5ypc.

In came Lawrence.
Bye-bye Minshew.
How would you compare Stroud to Lawrence coming out of college?

Then I won't go to you for talent evaluation. Mills wasn't good in college, the few games he did play there. Not sure he even would have been the starter there if Costello hadn't transfered.

I don't know why some try so hard to defend mediocre players. You can do it Tom Savage. Let's go, baby!! TJ Yates won a playoff game. Doesn't make him any good either. Mills has won nothing, not even in college. Dude is not good and it sucks that he's first off the bench here instead of Case. Not that the Texans are going places if Stroud is out and Case takes over, but they're for sure going nowhere if Mills has to take over.

What spreadsheet lead you to this conclusion.

Fact is Mills didn't stand a chance. Not that I wanted Mills to remain the starting QB without competition.

How would you compare Stroud to Lawrence coming out of college?
To be honest, I didn't watch enough of Lawrence's game tapes (and really do some research about his team and the opponents that he faced) to have a strong opinion.
I just knew that some team was going to draft him high, because he did play well.
The Texans weren't going to get him, so who cares. That was what I thought.

Like with Carr

Doesn't mean their right either.

Their track record over the last 2 decades says they most likely got it wrong.
That doesn’t mean it will happen to Stroud. It didn’t stunt D4 growth.

Did you see how many times Burrow was sacked/hit? Didn’t stunt his growth either.

View attachment 12575

I do agree with the article. I think as long as the D has geled pretty well our pass rush should be outstanding. On 610 yesterday about 6pm (they have it in podcast form) I think this is the right one. That some feel Anderson is going to end up being as good or better than Watt. I will not compare him to someone like JJ yet. They reason he could be better than JJ is more speed and he can move around the D as a D lineman or line up as a LB. Making him get fewer double teams and due to his speed and ability, be able to cover a TE or RB. Not sure if this is going to end up true. But, I 100% feel that he no question has some amazing ability that could allow him to be as good as JJ in about 3yrs. Just my opinion.

I do agree with the article. I think as long as the D has geled pretty well our pass rush should be outstanding. On 610 yesterday about 6pm (they have it in podcast form) I think this is the right one. That some feel Anderson is going to end up being as good or better than Watt. I will not compare him to someone like JJ yet. They reason he could be better than JJ is more speed and he can move around the D as a D lineman or line up as a LB. Making him get fewer double teams and due to his speed and ability, be able to cover a TE or RB. Not sure if this is going to end up true. But, I 100% feel that he no question has some amazing ability that could allow him to be as good as JJ in about 3yrs. Just my opinion.

Anderson isn’t on the same level as JJ as a pure athlete. JJ’s SPARQ athletic score is basically off the charts, 99th percentile. We forget how crazy and unreal of an athlete JJ was. It’s not a fair comparison. WAJ measureables were very good 76th percentile, putting in the top 25% at the position, but WATT displayed the kind of athleticism that is extremely rare. When they are throwing out JJ’s name before WAJ has even played a down, it’s kinda setting the expectations way to high to early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anderson isn’t on the same level as JJ as a pure athlete. JJ’s SPARQ athletic score is basically off the charts, 99th percentile. We forget how crazy and unreal of an athlete JJ was. It’s not a fair comparison. WAJ measureables were very good 76th percentile, putting in the top 25% at the position, but WATT displayed the kind of athleticism that is extremely rare. When they are throwing out JJ’s name before WAJ has even played a down, it’s kinda setting the expectations way to high to early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By the same token, Watt was not nearly as skilled as Anderson entering the league. No one in the league would have considered a raw Watt over Von Miller entering the draft. But J.J. kept working, and his work ethic, tenacity, combined with his ability made him an all time great. That's what Ryans sees in Anderson. That's what J.J. sees in Anderson. I think Anderson is entering the league underrated. Because if everyone knew how good this guy is going to be, the Texans would not have had a chance to trade up to get him.

By the same token, Watt was not nearly as skilled as Anderson entering the league. No one in the league would have considered a raw Watt over Von Miller entering the draft. But J.J. kept working, and his work ethic, tenacity, combined with his ability made him an all time great. That's what Ryans sees in Anderson. That's what J.J. sees in Anderson. I think Anderson is entering the league underrated. Because if everyone knew how good this guy is going to be, the Texans would not have had a chance to trade up to get him.
Sure hope your right...He def shows the work ethic and the humility to be great...hope he continues to work hard and progress and STAY HEALTHY...id hate to see an injury derail this young mans potential.

1080x0.webp

Texans among NFL's biggest surprises/The Athletic

Biggest surprises

Houston Texans

After losses to Baltimore and Indianapolis to open the season, the young Texans have made steady improvements. First-year head coach DeMeco Ryans’ squad has won two straight, topping the 30-point mark in beating Jacksonville and Pittsburgh. Rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud has thrown for 1,212 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions. He’s the second-most prolific rookie quarterback through four games — surpassing the first-year passing totals of Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert and Andrew Luck and trailing only Cam Newton, who had 1,386 yards through four games.

Few expected this level of competitiveness from the Texans this early, and Stroud’s production has sparked debate as to whether he should have gone first overall rather than Bryce Young. Stroud certainly was viewed as one of the best pure passers in the draft, but his production also is a result of a tried-and-true offensive system that supports young quarterbacks. The system has a strong reliance on the run game, the play-action passing attack, motions and bootlegs, which put pressure on defenses and make it harder for defenders to just tee off on the passer — as we’ve seen with the 49ers, Dolphins, Rams, Commanders and even further back with the Broncos. Because of his understanding of the system and ability to execute what the coaches want from him, Stroud should continue to ascend.

I lauded the DeMeco Ryans hire all offseason, imploring everyone to hop on the bandwagon. I absolutely loved Houston's aggressive approach in the 2023 NFL Draft, with the Texans securing a foundational piece on each side of the ball in No. 2 overall pick C.J. Stroud and No. 3 selection Will Anderson Jr. So, yes, you better believe I'm bullish on this upstart team that just pasted the Jaguars and Steelers in back-to-back weeks.

It's a brand new day in Houston. DeMeco has abruptly changed the culture, with an influx of talent significantly raising the Texans' floor. Stroud is slinging it at historic levels, showcasing his potent processing ability (S2 test be damned) and excellent efficiency (SEE: 6:0 TD-to-INT ratio) while valiantly operating behind an injury-riddled offensive line. Beyond the quarterback, Houston's getting substantial rookie contributions from Anderson, WR Tank Dell, LB Henry To'oTo'o and C Jarrett Patterson. Meanwhile, third-year pro Nico Collins is emerging as a potential WR1, while Ryans' young defense is showing plenty of promise, having just held both Jacksonville and Pittsburgh scoreless in the first half.

Houston is tough, together and brilliantly coached. This is a talented young team on the rise. All aboard!
NFL contenders or pretenders? Upstart Texans and frisky Rams legit; Jordan Love-led Packers ain't it

I lauded the DeMeco Ryans hire all offseason, imploring everyone to hop on the bandwagon. I absolutely loved Houston's aggressive approach in the 2023 NFL Draft, with the Texans securing a foundational piece on each side of the ball in No. 2 overall pick C.J. Stroud and No. 3 selection Will Anderson Jr. So, yes, you better believe I'm bullish on this upstart team that just pasted the Jaguars and Steelers in back-to-back weeks.

It's a brand new day in Houston. DeMeco has abruptly changed the culture, with an influx of talent significantly raising the Texans' floor. Stroud is slinging it at historic levels, showcasing his potent processing ability (S2 test be damned) and excellent efficiency (SEE: 6:0 TD-to-INT ratio) while valiantly operating behind an injury-riddled offensive line. Beyond the quarterback, Houston's getting substantial rookie contributions from Anderson, WR Tank Dell, LB Henry To'oTo'o and C Jarrett Patterson. Meanwhile, third-year pro Nico Collins is emerging as a potential WR1, while Ryans' young defense is showing plenty of promise, having just held both Jacksonville and Pittsburgh scoreless in the first half.

Houston is tough, together and brilliantly coached. This is a talented young team on the rise. All aboard!
NFL contenders or pretenders? Upstart Texans and frisky Rams legit; Jordan Love-led Packers ain't it
This offense is perfect for Colllins and Dell.

20. Houston Texans (2-2)

Week 4 ranking: 28

Defensive efficiency: 54.0 (17th)

Biggest issue on defense: Sacking the quarterback

The biggest issue for the Texans' defense is its inability to get sacks. Houston is tied for the fifth-fewest sacks in the NFL with seven. The issue isn't pressuring the quarterbacks, as the Texans have the third-highest pressure rate (44.4%). But they can't turn pressure into sacks. The team leader is defensive end Jonathan Greenard with three sacks, and the pass rush showed potential against the Steelers, sacking their quarterback three times. If this unit wants to reach the next level, it must start making the big plays and sacking quarterbacks. -- DJ Bien-Aime

14. Houston Texans: 2-2 (+9)
With the middle of the league looking this muddy, why not defer to the exciting stuff that's happening in Houston? C.J. Stroud is turning heads in a big way, with 1,212 passing yards through his first four games. And after looking overmatched in the first two weeks of the season, the Texans have now beaten down two teams that people viewed as preseason playoff contenders in back-to-back weeks.

18. Houston Texans

We continue to write about how good C.J. Stroud has been so far in his young career, and he keeps getting better. He threw for 306 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-6 demolition of the Steelers to bring the Texans to 2-2 on the season and in a four-way tie for first in the division. The defense is still not great, but they rank a respectable 18th in yards per play allowed and 16th in points per drive allowed.

NFL site power rankings have the Texans at 21. A nice quote from their comments:

That Stroud has begun his pro career throwing an NFL-record 186 straight passes without an INT and hasn't taken a sack since Week 2 is frankly incredible.
Even as a laymen I can see Stroud's growth. In the first 2 games he took sacks that he didn't have to. Now it seems he is learning when to dump the ball off or just throw it away. Early results seem to indicate he is what every coach wants. A gifted athlete that is highly coachable.

NFL site has us at 16 this week. From bottom feeders to middle of the pack in 6 games. Impressive.
Yahoo Sports has the Texans at 18 this week.

It's hard to proclaim anything six games into a season or career, but I feel confident in this: C.J. Stroud is a future star. He might already be a star. It's very, very rare to see a rookie quarterback look this polished. Something good is cooking in Houston.

I think the Texans will end up higher, maybe even in the top ten.

They survived the early part of the season; I was thinking 2-4 or maybe even 1-5.

Now, I think they can challenge the Jags for the division.
Realistically to challenge for a division spot (barring a Jacksonville collapse) we'll need 11 wins, maaaaybe 10 will do it if we sweep the Jags and they underperform a bit. That means we gotta go 8-3 or 7-4 to end the year. We are almost certainly gonna drop another division game and the Bengals game. We also have some games against some very tough defenses with the Browns and Jets. 8-3 leaves very very little room for error and that's a tough ask from a rookie coach/rookie QB combo. I'm hopeful but it's not an easy road

Realistically to challenge for a division spot (barring a Jacksonville collapse) we'll need 11 wins, maaaaybe 10 will do it if we sweep the Jags and they underperform a bit. That means we gotta go 8-3 or 7-4 to end the year. We are almost certainly gonna drop another division game and the Bengals game. We also have some games against some very tough defenses with the Browns and Jets. 8-3 leaves very very little room for error and that's a tough ask from a rookie coach/rookie QB combo. I'm hopeful but it's not an easy road
The Jags will fall back.

The Jags will fall back.
Looking at their schedule

@steelers W
vs 49ers L
vs Titans W
@texans L (we pretty much have to win this to have a shot at the division so we'll call it a Texans win. This game could certainly go either way)
vs Bengals L
@ Browns W (struggled with this one)
vs Ravens L
@ Bucs W
vs Panthers W
@Titans W

That puts them at 11 wins. Do you disagree with any of these?

Back