Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
As far as QBs go in the draft, the player with the best NFL "traits" is likely Will Levis. High end to elite arm talent and prototypical measurables. Betting on traits with him. Might take a few years to adapt to the NFL ala Josh Allen or may be a complete bust.
I'd take Stroud over Young simply due to the fact that they are very similar in styles of play and abilities, and I'll take the size advantage for Stroud.
I wouldn't mind the Texans bringing in Jimmy G and draft Stroud at 1.2 or draft BPA at OL/DL/Edge a5 1.2 and draft Levis at 1.12 if he's still available. Jimmy G would be an excellent bridge QB and if he can't stay healthy, run Mills out there if the rookie isn't ready. I'm a big fan of sitting rookie QBs unless they prove, beyond a doubt, that they are ready to play.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
As far as QBs go in the draft, the player with the best NFL "traits" is likely Will Levis. High end to elite arm talent and prototypical measurables. Betting on traits with him.
Why not just trade a 3rd to the Jets for Zach Wilson? Like Levis, Wilson has high end to elite arm talent and prototypical measurables. Also like Levis, Wilson is not very good at playing QB. It's a much less expensive bet.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why not just trade a 3rd to the Jets for Zach Wilson? Like Levis, Wilson has high end to elite arm talent and prototypical measurables. Also like Levis, Wilson is not very good at playing QB. It's a much less expensive bet.
I'm on board with this if it means drafting a QB in 2024.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

vtech9

All Pro
....or draft BPA at OL/DL/Edge a5 1.2 and draft Levis at 1.12 if he's still available. Jimmy G would be an excellent bridge QB and if he can't stay healthy, run Mills out there if the rookie isn't ready. I'm a big fan of sitting rookie QBs unless they prove, beyond a doubt, that they are ready to play.
I would be ok with the bolded part if we have to draft a QB in the 1st, but I don't really want any of these QB's in the first round. If we can get Levis or Richardson in the 2nd, I'd go for it.

I've watched some of Jake Haener from Fresno State, and I like what I've seen from him. He doesn't have the talent around him that the rest of these QB's have, but he still had 20 TD's to only 3 INT's, with a 72% completion rate. He will probably be available in the 5th round. He'll be playing in the Senior Bowl, so I'll be watching to see how he does there.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
during that time I was high on Zach Wilson. it’s still early in his career but damn he looks terrible
There was a time when a QB sucked at the start as bad as Wilson, then back came back to have a great career. But that was when cars had stones for wheels and people kept dinosaurs as pets. Yabba-dabba-do, that was a long time ago.

And yes, I'm talking about Terry Bradshaw.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Respect your opinion but,

I wouldn't mind the Texans bringing in Jimmy G and draft Stroud at 1.2
if I’m drafting a QB at 1.2 I’m expecting him to play soon if not day 1. If I don’t think it’s possible then I’m not drafting him in the top 10.

Just my opinion. We all have them.

But I wouldn’t be concerned with a “bridge” QB.

If I’m drafting outside of the top 10, then I might bring in a “bridge” QB. But I’m talking about a one year “we have our QB of the future & you’re not him” kinda “bridge” QB.

Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, maybe Carson Wentz

vtech9

All Pro
There was a time when a QB sucked at the start as bad as Wilson, then back came back to have a great career. But that was when cars had stones for wheels and people kept dinosaurs as pets. Yabba-dabba-do, that was a long time ago.

And yes, I'm talking about Terry Bradshaw.
What about Josh Allen, Tua, Jalen Hurts, and Daniel Jones? They didn't look that good their first couple years, but now look like good QB's at varying levels.

Last edited:

Decim8

Veteran
What about Josh Allen, Tua, Jalen Hurts, and Daniel Jones? They all looked terrible their first 3 years, but now look like good QB's at varying levels.
Huh? Josh Allen, tua and hurts improved every year since they started. I’ll give you Daniel jones though

vtech9

All Pro
Huh? Josh Allen, tua and hurts improved every year since they started. I’ll give you Daniel jones though
I edited my post. I was meaning they didn't really look good until their 3rd year. Miami was ready to give up on Tua. NY was ready to give up on Daniel Jones. Philly was ready to give up on Hurts. Josh Allen improved his 2nd year, but still had less than a 60% completion rate. Allen's 2nd year was also his lowest INT season with 9, so there is that.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
It's all about the OL and DL. The one common denominator with the 4 teams playing Championship weekend is they have the best OL and DLs. This is why in your first 2 years of rebuilding you focus on the OL and DL. You build from the inside out. You don't trade away draft picks to move up for a WR. Once you have your Lines in place then it is time to bring in your skilled players. For the last 2 years, the Texans have gone about this bassackwards. The Texans' approach has pretty much assured the team of another 5 years of rebuilding.
If only the team listened to this **** like, however many years ago.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And then they draft guys like Amobi Okoye and Travis Johnson and all you can do is go... "No, wait, no. That's not what I meant..."
True, The Texans history is one of complete and utter failure.

This is what happens when ownership is happy making money and doesn't hold the GM's accontable. Of course this isn't all on the GM's since the McNair's hire the HC's and their Not Texans Worthy edict limits the pool of players the GM can choose from. Although the Charles Hill/Travis Johnson/oKoye picks cant be blamed on anything but incompetence by previous GM's.

Sad thing is in true McNair fashion, Cal's in the process of cutting the legs out from Caserio as well.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Sad thing is in true McNair fashion, Cal's in the process of cutting the legs out from Caserio as well.
They are partners in crime. If Pep Hamilton remains as the OC, that is the proof is in the pudding. How is it possible that Hamilton hangs around for 3 years if not for Nick Caserio? When I said the ghosts of Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby roam the halls of NRG, it is looking like it is time for the Texans to call Ghostbusters.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
They are partners in crime. If Pep Hamilton remains as the OC, that is the proof is in the pudding. How is it possible that Hamilton hangs around for 3 years if not for Nick Caserio? When I said the ghosts of Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby roam the halls of NRG, it is looking like it is time for the Texans to call Ghostbusters.
Pep cannot be the deal breaker, I just cannot believe that. He may just want to be fired and stay in town thus turning down interviews. I could see them saying Ross should be kept, but let's discuss your thoughts, but Pep? Nothing special there. I find it very hard to hold someone accountable if you don't let them pick their team

Texian

Hall of Fame
Pep cannot be the deal breaker, I just cannot believe that. He may just want to be fired and stay in town thus turning down interviews. I could see them saying Ross should be kept, but let's discuss your thoughts, but Pep? Nothing special there. I find it very hard to hold someone accountable if you don't let them pick their team
Hard to believe but the Eight Ball says, Could Be Decidedly So.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cal McNair will be the answer to your question. If Cal or the new HC wants Pep gone he will be gone. If Pep isn't gone, it will be because Cal doesn't want to pay Pep to go away.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe BOB isn't as bad of an OC as some around these parts make him out to be.
Look at the QBs he worked with and got to the playoffs before Towel Boy arrived. It's not a list what will blow anyone away.

Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, TJ Yates, and Brock Osweiler.

I think even Kubiak would have been challenged with these jokers.

Mangler

Toro de España
It feels like with our holes and three potential QBs you can trade a bit and fill more holes. I missed out on target centers, but otherwise a stud, Edge, WR, fastest second WR and RB, and Stroud plus O'connell as QB's and some OL and LB and safety depth

View attachment 11503
What happened to 1.12? Are you anticipating Sean Payton being the next HC, giving the Saints our 1.12?

Edit: Nevermind, I took a closer look and I see 1.12. My mistake.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
No, he's a bad everything.

He ruined this ******* franchise. Literal cancer.

He failed at every single ******* part of his job.

This team won division titles in spite of his sorry butt-chinned ass. And then every single time he got railed in the playoffs.

Please don't make me relitigate this.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Look at the QBs he worked with and got to the playoffs before Towel Boy arrived. It's not a list what will blow anyone away.

Kubiak did work with Yates and Osweiler. He had success with both.

I haven’t looked at the succes of Yates with Kubiak vs OB but I am willing to bet it was better.

He had enough success with Osweiler he fooled the Texans into thinking he was the answer at QB. In fact most if not all were surprised in the difference of the product in the Texans uniform vs the product in the. Broncos uniform.

Kubiak didn’t work with Mallett or Hoyer because he isn’t an idiot.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I haven’t looked at the succes of Yates with Kubiak vs OB but I am willing to bet it was better.

He had enough success with Osweiler he fooled the Texans into thinking he was the answer at QB. In fact most if not all were surprised in the difference of the product in the Texans uniform vs the product in the. Broncos uniform.

Shame about Mallet - if he had as much strength between the ears as he had in his arm, he could have been something.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Shame about Mallet - if he had as much strength between the ears as he had in his arm, he could have been something.
You just hit on the difference between a good player and a bad one. It's not their height, weight, hand size, 40 time or any other measurable. It's the intangibles you can't measure that make the biggest differences. That's the hard part to determine.

According to the 2022 draft's "Mr. Irrelevant," Nick Saban told Purdy: "You're below average in height. Your arm strength is whatever. Your accuracy is average."

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
You just hit on the difference between a good player and a bad one. It's not their height, weight, hand size, 40 time or any other measurable. It's the intangibles you can't measure that make the biggest differences. That's the hard part to determine.

According to the 2022 draft's "Mr. Irrelevant," Nick Saban told Purdy: "You're below average in height. Your arm strength is whatever. Your accuracy is average."
Purdy is not expected to put the team on his shoulders - that responsibility is clearly a team effort. Instead, 49ers employ a simple philosophy of taking what the opposing defense gives them and play the short passing game effectively - apparently Purdys strength.
That's the smart thing to do.
Texans definitely need an upgrade at QB, but that is not the only position.
This is why I would like to see Ryan's here - hopefully his coaching can make a difference, especially (but not only) on the D.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Didn’t Yates take over the helm when Nart went down! Didn’t we go to the playoffs that year?
That was under Kubiak correct?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Too bad none of them picked their own QBs. That was done by decree and forced on both of them.

Far be it from me to be an O'Brien apologist. But, the lack of objectivity around here about Texans history is absolutely hilarious. People are unable see see around their own hurt feelings.

I guess Belichick is an idiot, too, because Hoyer has been on the Patriots roster two different times. Heck, he drafted Ryan Mallet.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
[/QUOTE]
I guess Belichick is an idiot, too, because Hoyer has been on the Patriots roster two different times. Heck, he drafted Ryan Mallet.
Belichick didn't sign Hoyer as a starter for a team expected to compete for the playoffs. And Mallett was too tall for the position. :kitten: