Thanks for your support!

2023 Davis Mills vs Bryce Young

Which option and why

• 1 or 2 or 3

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Why

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
C'mon bro. Seattle,Minnesota, San Diego?
Yep! The Chargers had a down year in 2019 which allowed them to get Herbert but the year before that they went 12-4. Minnesota went 13-3 before adding Cousins. Seattle was going 7-9 for a couple years but figured they were only a QB away which is why they signed Flynn to a big contract. It may have been luck that they got their franchise QB in Wilson, but still the team was built before he got there

Every time I watch Young play I’m more impressed with him. He‘s very accurate, has excellent escapability, he’s poised and he’s one tough SOB. He took multiple hard hits in the Tenn game and kept popping up. He also has that, “I don’t want him to have the ball with any time left” vibe. He’s just so freaking small. He looks like a HS kid playing with grown men, but he’s damn good.

Gibbs is phenomenal as well, Alvin Kamara 2.0. He a Pierce would be a sweet backfield

The Bama Te is also pretty good

If anyone thought Russ would be Russ, he wouldn't been drafted in the 3rd rd. When we were at the sr bowl, I asked Pat if he was a athlete playing qb or a athletic qb? Also, if they would've thought he was a franchise qb, they wouldn't have paid Flynn. Remember, they hadn't been better than 7-9 under Pete until that time.
They were throwing darts at the QB board at that point. They signed Flynn the same yr they drafted Russ. The point is that they built their team before they started throwing darts at the QB dart board. They didn't use a high draft pick to get their QB that yr, why? Because they didn't like that yrs QB class. Kinda how I feel about this yrs class, for different reasons.

Every time I watch Young play I’m more impressed with him. He‘s very accurate, has excellent escapability, he’s poised and he’s one tough SOB. He took multiple hard hits in the Tenn game and kept popping up. He also has that, “I don’t want him to have the ball with any time left” vibe. He’s just so freaking small. He looks like a HS kid playing with grown men, but he’s damn good.

Gibbs is phenomenal as well, Alvin Kamara 2.0. He a Pierce would be a sweet backfield

The Bama Te is also pretty good

Young is a great player.

I don't think he will last because of his size.

After last night's game I'm a believer in Kincaid. I thought he was good but after seeing him play hurt and after the game crying because of his fallen teammates, you can tell the game really matters to him. How would you compare Kincaid to Latu? I'm thinking Kinkaid compares to Todd Heap. Latu is more of a Cole Kmet type TE?

Man this is a deep TE class.

Seattle was pretty much built when they drafted Russ.
This is not entirely true.

The Seahawks Oline was always in the bottom third in the league as they kept changing guys every year.

They had no #1 reveiver and the TE is so so, probably middle of the back.
They had no depth at RB as Wilson was always the second bleeding rusher on the team.

I dont want Bama's defensive backs or coordinators. Texas was rolling them before Ewewr's got hurt then yesterday, yikes. Gibbs or Bijon would be a sweet add
To be fair quarterback Eli Ricks was not playing with Alabama against Texas. Some think he could be a top 10 defensive back in the draft if he returns healthy.

The Seahawks Oline was always in the bottom third in the league as they kept changing guys every year.

They had no depth at RB as Wilson was always the second bleeding rusher on the team.
define built... you must have a different definition than most others

That's not true.
They spent the nó. 1 pick on Baker Mayfield before they get Chubb, Hunt, and 3 of the current starting Olinemen.
They also tried several WRs after taking Mayfield in that draft.

Who said I was talking about Baker? Look at their history of drafting 1st round QBs. They keep drafting and drafting and drafting and drafting until trading for an “alleged” sexual predator. How much success have they had?

Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield…

But if I was talking about Mayfield the year they drafted him they had 4 pro bowlers that ended up being selected as All Pros. The previous year they drafted Garrett. They drafted Chubb the same year as Baker. And drafted Ward. And traded for Landry. So they were a lot closer than us prior to drafting a QB.

And if you still have a different opinion than their lack of success with Baker and why he didn’t get any better is why they should have waited to draft a QB instead of reaching for a QB. Baker and Manziel.

No team will be just a QB away, but a QB and one or two positions. That is easier to work with than trying to the the positions of a DL, a TE, a #1 WR, LBs, and having notable playmakers. Which is where we are.

Who said I was talking about Baker? Look at their history of drafting 1st round QBs. They keep drafting and drafting and drafting and drafting until trading for an “alleged” sexual predator. How much success have they had?

Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield…

But if I was talking about Mayfield the year they drafted him they had 4 pro bowlers that ended up being selected as All Pros. The previous year they drafted Garrett. They drafted Chubb the same year as Baker. And drafted Ward. And traded for Landry. So they were a lot closer than us prior to drafting a QB.

And if you still have a different opinion than their lack of success with Baker and why he didn’t get any better is why they should have waited to draft a QB instead of reaching for a QB. Baker and Manziel.
You're confused between missing on the pick and taking a QB first before adding the piecea around him.

The Browns could have taken either Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, but they took Mayfield instead.

In another thread, I also said that the Bills didn't have anywhere near a complete team, but that did not stop them from drafting Allen.

No team will be just a QB away, but a QB and one or two positions. That is easier to work with than trying to the the positions of a DL, a TE, a #1 WR, LBs, and having notable playmakers. Which is where we are.
The current Texans have a better Oline than Wilson did back then (and forever).
Brandon Cooks is a better no. 1 than anything the Seahawks had in 2012.
Collins could be better than their no. 2
The TE situation is at best a wash. Texans have better depth.
The Seahawks did not have a reliable 2nd RB either.
Despite all that, Wilson played well as a rookie.

Mills is in his second year

In another thread, I also said that the Bills didn't have anywhere near a complete team, but that did not stop them from drafting Allen
I don't know what your definitions are, but the Bills were a combined 33-31 over the 4 previous seasons and had made the playoffs the year prior to drafting Allen

You're confused between missing on the pick and taking a QB first before adding the piecea around him.

The Browns could have taken either Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, but they took Mayfield instead.

In another thread, I also said that the Bills didn't have anywhere near a complete team, but that did not stop them from drafting Allen.

It’s not about being a complete team. Never was. I think that is where your confusion is. No one is saying be complete. Tell us where someone said that.

The Bills were much closer to be QB ready than the Texans are currently. Compare the rosters.

Cool.

Now do the positions on the defense.

I think he's very under rating Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate. TE's are a wash and while I love Pierce, he's vastly under rating Lynch.

I agree. But he is ignoring the defense which is one of the major points.

If our defense was like the Seahawks then we would be in a better place to spend the draft capital on a QB. Which is why he spoke about only the offense.

People miss that point.

How is he without a run game & playing from behind?
If on the Texans he would not be without a run game with Pierce and another running back that I would draft. Hopefully, he would be much better than Davis Mills coming from behind...

His ability to run would be much better than Mills also.

If our defense was like the Seahawks then we would be in a better place to spend the draft capital on a QB. Which is why he spoke about only the offense.

People miss that point.
You guys are making a lot of excuses.

The thing is that teams nowadays are going after the QB first, and then build around him.

You guys just go around trying to wishy washy things.

People miss that point.

Put this together with the players on offense and yes, Seattle was a QB away from being a contender. The Texans are still a couple of drafts/FAperiods away from being there. Although this last draft was a good start.

Young is a great player.

I don't think he will last because of his size.

After last night's game I'm a believer in Kincaid. I thought he was good but after seeing him play hurt and after the game crying because of his fallen teammates, you can tell the game really matters to him. How would you compare Kincaid to Latu? I'm thinking Kinkaid compares to Todd Heap. Latu is more of a Cole Kmet type TE?

Man this is a deep TE class.

The size scares me on Young as well but man is he talented and tough. He took at least 3 gnarly shots and bounced right back up.

Honestly I only noticed Latu in this Tenn game. He has great length and does a terrific job catching the ball away from his body. Seems to have good speed as well. Seems to be a smart player with a good feel for getting open

When I watch Kincaid I see Owen Daniels 2.0 and if he turns out to be that good (or Heap as you mentioned) sign me up

Id be fine drafting 2 TEs out of this class. If Pep remains our OC it makes sense to add talent to the position. I’m happy with Howard and Akins has played well. I haven’t seen anything from Brevin Jordan in a game yet

Many have said that, but I don't know if that is true. Sure, Mills will need some dynamic players to put up big numbers. But he can be evaluated on field command, accuracy, decision making, poise under pressure, playmaking without Pro Bowl WRs surrounding him. Actually, not having a roster oozing with talent may be a plus for the Texans in terms of evaluation. If Mills moves the team without the best talent it would be a big plus in knowing his ability to handle adversity.

Going back to the thread starter's original question, I'm not concerned about where Mills falls in the QB rankings, or TDs, or passing yards. I'm looking at whether Mills can maximize the potential of the offense. Whether he can lead under adversity. And considering his injury history, if Mills can stay on the field for 17 games.
Going through this thread looking for clues on prospects in the draft and reread this one.
Something stood out - Rogers' Packers are currently ranked 24th on offense - perhaps its time heirarchy got him some weapons?

How is Stroud an enigma?
To me Stroud is an enigma, because you really don't know what you will get with him. I've seen him make good throws, but I've also seen him make terrible throws that his WR's have still caught. He's on a team with better talent than every other team they play. It seems like he has forever to throw the ball, and has some of the best WR's in the country. His WR's still have to save him after he's made a bad throw too often. Would he be any good if he was on a team that didn't have that talent? I don't know. I honestly don't think he would be in the discussion as one of the best QB's if he played for an average team.

Or 2.

Washington is the guy that reminds me of Gronk. Punishes players blocking and has enough speed down the seam, plus has great hands.

.....not to mention, he's 6-7 @ 270 lbs and possesses enough speed to expose the seam. The other guy who could be had later and is similar in size and played basketball is TE- Kemari Averett, Bethune-Cookman. He's 6-6 @ 253 lbs and also possesses the speed to expose the seam. The Wildcats just aren't a very good team, but somehow he’s been their bright spot. Both TE's seem to be viewed as decent blockers as well.

Darnell Washington should be available in RD2. I believe Kemari Averett should be available in RD5 or RD6.....may depend on his Pro Day since I doubt he'd be invited to the Combine.

Last edited:

Wilson was also coming off 4 years of CFB and 32 starts for North Carolina State and 14 for Wisconsin. That's substantial margin of CFB starts compared to 11 over 3 seasons for Davis Mills which also had C-19 forcing time lost on the field.

I'm not sure what else you'd expect under those conditions, but I can see the good and would be willing to give him the time to finish his development. It's a real shame the Texans didn't go after a more accomplished veteran QB1 to bridge the 2 season developmental gap I would've enjoyed seeing Mills get. Remember, he only entered the draft b/c he simply had no idea if there was going to be another CFB season at Stanford due to California's potential C-19 mandates. The Texans got him much later (RD3) than they would've if he had gone back to Stanford for a couple of additional seasons before entering the draft.

The Texans are in the 1.5 point of at least a 4.0 phase rebuild.....it's going to take time for Mills to play all those games lost in college, but I'm sure we'd know even more by the end of this season.

Going through this thread looking for clues on prospects in the draft and reread this one.
Something stood out - Rogers' Packers are currently ranked 24th on offense - perhaps its time heirarchy got him some weapons?

I wonder if the Packers would be hungry enough to ship their 2023 RD2 pick to the Texans for Cooks?

I wonder if the Packers would be hungry enough to ship their 2023 RD2 pick to the Texans for Cooks?
He would certainly help them, but it would cruel Mills' last chances of stability for the rest of the season.
You already moved on from Mills? I am not seeing any starting potential material unless they load up on some serious talent to help him.

Wilson was also coming off 4 years of CFB and 32 starts for North Carolina State and 14 for Wisconsin. That's substantial margin of CFB starts compared to 11 over 3 seasons for Davis Mills which also had C-19 forcing time lost on the field.

I'm not sure what else you'd expect under those conditions, but I can see the good and would be willing to give him the time to finish his development. It's a real shame the Texans didn't go after a more accomplished veteran QB1 to bridge the 2 season developmental gap I would've enjoyed seeing Mills get. Remember, he only entered the draft b/c he simply had no idea if there was going to be another CFB season at Stanford due to California's potential C-19 mandates. The Texans got him much later (RD3) than they would've if he had gone back to Stanford for a couple of additional seasons before entering the draft.

The Texans are in the 1.5 point of at least a 4.0 phase rebuild.....it's going to take time for Mills to play all those games lost in college, but I'm sure we'd know even more by the end of this season.
Do you not read that I was comparing the rookie Wilson's situation with Mills' second year?

.....not to mention, he's 6-7 @ 270 lbs and possesses enough speed to expose the seam. The other guy who could be had later and is similar in size and played basketball as well is TE- Kemari Averett, Bethune-Cookman. He's 6-6 @ 253 lbs and also possesses the speed to expose the seam. The Wildcats just aren't a very good team, but he's somehow been a bright spot. Both TE's seem to be viewed as decent blockers as well.

Darnell Washington should be available in RD2. I believe Kemari Averett should be available in RD5 or RD6.....may depend on his Pro Day since I doubt he'd be invited to the Combine.

I've got Washington going in the 25-30 range and if the Texans are picking at say #15, I wouldn't have a problem with picking Washington. I'm currently torn on picking Johnston or Washington. I'm probably picking Washington and looking at WR's like Mingo in rd 2.

Looking forward to discussing this in the draft thread. I dont know how to move posts though.

I've got Washington going in the 25-30 range and if the Texans are picking at say #15, I wouldn't have a problem with picking Washington. I'm currently torn on picking Johnston or Washington. I'm probably picking Washington and looking at WR's like Mingo in rd 2.

Looking forward to discussing this in the draft thread. I dont know how to move posts though.
So you're seeing 2 TE's in the first round? When was the last time that happened?
This is a draft thread

He would certainly help them, but it would cruel Mills' last chances of stability for the rest of the season.
You already moved on from Mills? I am not seeing any starting potential material unless they load up on some serious talent to help him.

It would be tough, but it could force him to elevate his relationship with Collins and the TE’s. Put Johnson, Moore, and Dorsett out there when the formation calls for a SWR. I don’t think there’d be a lot of difference between the receivers with Cooks and without him.

I’m with you on this thought process. I also like (actually quite a bit) WR- A.T. Perry, Wake Forest. Might be able to get him as late as RD6, but RD5 might be more realistic.

I’m with you on this thought process. I also like (actually quite a bit) WR- A.T. Perry, Wake Forest. Might be able to get him as late as RD6, but RD5 might be more realistic.

I'm thinking Perry might go in the late 3rd or early 4th. I like him alot. What are your thoughts on Tennessee WR Cedrick Tillman and where do you think he goes in the draft? I know he's hurt right now, but dont know what his injury is?

To me Stroud is an enigma, because you really don't know what you will get with him. I've seen him make good throws, but I've also seen him make terrible throws that his WR's have still caught. He's on a team with better talent than every other team they play. It seems like he has forever to throw the ball, and has some of the best WR's in the country. His WR's still have to save him after he's made a bad throw too often. Would he be any good if he was on a team that didn't have that talent? I don't know. I honestly don't think he would be in the discussion as one of the best QB's if he played for an average team.
Then use the same draft to give him an Ohio State type offense. You can have him and wide receiver Smith and if you get Stroud with a trade down to Detroit or where I think Seattle will eventually end up and pick up another round 1 get left tackle Paris Johnson who can play right guard at a high level.

I'm just saying that drafting Stroud does not have to be looked at as the only move.

Back