Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 TRAINING CAMP NOTES

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From MCCLAIN'S MAILBOX:

Q: You are our eyes and ears at training camp. Thanks for all your coverage! What has been the biggest surprise on offense and defense so far? — Rick T.

A: That’s easy on offense, Rick. I’d have to say tight end Jordan Thomas, and I think most who’ve watched practice would agree. I didn’t expect much from him because he had one catch for 8 yards in 2019 and spent the first half of the season on injured reserve. He also reported out of shape last year. I had high expectations after his rookie year when he had four touchdown receptions in the red zone. He came back this year in terrific shape and has made great catches all over the field. Also has worked hard as a blocker. On defense, I’d have to say second-year cornerback Lonnie Johnson Jr. In the Kansas City playoff loss, he was forced to cover tight end Travis Kelce because of injuries at safety. He got toasted. He’s been very impressive in camp playing cornerback and safety. Close behind is new safety Eric Murray. I didn’t understand why they signed him to be a starter. It’s only practice, of course, but he’s looked tremendous. Plays up, back, nickel corner and on special teams.

zshawn10

All Pro
Pendergast: Texans Scrimmage At NRG Stadium Two Weeks Ahead Of Season-Opener Against Chiefs

HOUSTON (SportsRadio 610) -- The Houston Texans finished up the portion of training camp that was open to the media — 10 media members total, 10 practices total — with a scrimmage inside NRG Stadium on Thursday night. It was a scrimmage that hung precariously in the balance over the previous 24 hours, for both weather and societal reasons. As it turned out, Hurricane Laura shifted to the east overnight and the Texan players opted against making the scrimmage part of a social justice statement (like nine other NFL teams did by canceling practice on Thursday), and they moved ahead with the practice game, as planned. Yes, you read that right — a scrimmage was nearly cancelled over two different possible circumstances and NEITHER of them was related to the coronavirus. 2020, y'all! So now, with four practices to go, Bill O'Brien will soon need to identify his 53-man roster for Week 1 in Kansas City. For now, here are my thoughts on Thursday's scrimmage inside the stadium:
  1. I'll start the post with what happened at the very end, after the scrimmage had ended. Once the coaches and staff all left the field to go to the locker room, the Texans players stayed at midfield, gathered around all on one knee, while Kenny Stills conducted a very passionate speech, presumably about racial inequality (full disclosure, we couldn't hear from the stands, but Stills is one of the faces of social justice in the NFL). That was followed by J.J. Watt addressing the team for several minutes, before our time was up, as media, and we were required to leave. Watt was still going when we left. O'Brien said after the game that they had discussions all day inside the building about how best to invoke action in the wake of the Jacob Blake shooting, so we will see where it goes from here. But for those wondering, it was absolutely a front burner issue inside the walls of NRG Stadium on Thursday.
  2. As for the scrummage itself, the big thing O'Brien wanted to do was simulate a game day, and that doesn't just mean the game itself, but also the pregame walk through, warmups, and player introductions. Hell, they even played Clay Walker after 24-yard field goals. IT FELT REAL TO ME, DAMMIT! As for the format, the first string offense and second string offense took turns going against the second string defense and first string defense, respectively.
  3. As you can imagine, Deshaun Watson moved the ball up and down the field with relative ease against the Texans backups. A couple times, things bogged down in the red zone, and Ka'imi Fairbairn came out to kick field goals, but Watson also led a couple touchdown drives. One was an absolute gorgeous throw from about 20 yards out to Kenny Stills in the back left corner of the end zone (he smoked Gareon Conley on the play), and the other a Watson zone read inside the 10-yard line.
  4. Skill players with gold stars next to their names -- Duke Johnson, looked explosive in the running and passing game; David Johnson, continued to look very smooth catching the ball out of the backfield; Will Fuller, made a spectacular diving catch along the sideline in the first half (didn't play in the second half, as they continue to ramp him up gradually for the regular season); DeAndre Carter, several sneaky slot catches in the middle of the field, he is having a nice camp.
  5. Skill players with red arrows pointing down next to their names -- Jordan Thomas, a brutal drop on third down that had him livid at himself; Kahale Warring, followed his great practice on Tuesday up with a dud for this scrimmage, including a third down play where he looked for the ball over the wrong shoulder on a fade pass from Watson; Chad Hansen, my "camp crush" got his shoulder injured by an overzealous Lonnie Johnson, who tackled Hansen in a scrimmage that was supposed to involve no tackling.
  6. On Wednesday, Anthony Weaver was asked to name three players who have had great camps so far, and the first name he came up with was linebacker Jacob Martin. This scrimmage made Weaver look like a very smart man, as Martin was continually in the backfield all evening long, and scored a touchdown on a scoop and score off an A.J. McCarron fumbled snap.
  7. Speaking of McCarron, if the Texans are going to have to win a game at some point without Deshaun Watson, I am fearful it may not happen with McCarron, who has been fairly abysmal throughout camp, holding onto the ball way too long, and just throwing the ball very inconsistently. Worth noting, Cody Kessler (former Brown, Eagle, Jag, and I'm sure I'm missing a team or two) was in for a tryout this week.
  8. Rookie watch -- Ross Blacklock, definitely part of the rotation on the defensive line; Jonathan Greenard, injured and did not appear; John Reid, got some time with the first string at slot corner and returned punts, good night for him; Charlie Heck, didn't see much time; Isaiah Coulter, injured and did not appear. If you're looking for an undrafted rookie who is getting mentioned by O'Brien, keep an eye on tight end Dylan Stapleton. I don't think he makes the 53-man roster, but I could see them keeping him on the practice squad.
  9. The scrimmage ended with A.J. Moore, getting some quality time with the first unit at safety, making a spectacular one-handed grab on an interception thrown by McCarron (I'm telling you, McCarron has been BAD this camp.). I think Moore, largely viewed as a special teamer since coming over to the Texans a couple years ago, is sewing up the third safety spot.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
"For the first time in training camp, the Texans went inside NRG Stadium for a scrimmage that didn’t include hitting and taking players to the ground."
That's good. Makes you wonder if the other article's author actually watched the scrimmage.

I am really missing preseason. Always went to a least one preseason game every year.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
According to the Houston Chronicle, this scrimmage didn't include the hits.

"For the first time in training camp, the Texans went inside NRG Stadium for a scrimmage that didn’t include hitting and taking players to the ground."

That's good. Makes you wonder if the other article's author actually watched the scrimmage.

I am really missing preseason. Always went to a least one preseason game every year.
In actuality there wasn't supposed to be tackling. But Lonnie Johnson on a pass play did for some inexplicable reason hit WR/ST Chad Hansen hard and tackled him, with Hansen apparently suffering a significant shoulder injury.

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
In actuality there wasn't supposed to be tackling. But Lonnie Johnson on a pass play did for some inexplicable reason hit WR/ST Chad Hansen hard and tackled him, with Hansen apparently suffering a significant shoulder injury.
Yes I read that somewhere. I am curious if there will be some "hard-feelings" in the locker room over this.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Brandon Dunn ready to be Texans man in the middle
Aaron Wilson Aug. 28, 2020 Updated: Aug. 28, 2020 12:51 p.m.

D.J. Reader was a cornerstone of the Texans’ defensive line.

At 6-foot-3, 347 pounds, the nose tackle was stout, powerful and quick. He was versatile enough to line up effectively at defensive end.

In 15 starts last season, Reader recorded a career-high 52 tackles and 2½ sacks. In 61 career games, the former Clemson standout made 154 tackles and 6½ sacks.

Because Reader represented such a long day’s work for opposing blockers, it was no surprise when he cashed in as a free agent with Cincinnati and became the highest paid nose tackle in the league via a four-year, $53 million contract.

Now, the Texans are adapting to Reader’s loss.

“It’s no secret I love D.J.” Texans defensive end J.J. Watt said. “He’s one of my best friends, he’s a great guy. I’m certainly going to miss him both in the D-line room, on the field, and off the field just as a friend, having him up there in Cincinnati. At the same time, I can’t be mad at him. There’s a whole bunch of reasons that he’s in Cincinnati now.”

The Texans planned ahead for the possibility of Reader leaving and are plugging in Brandon Dunn, an athletic 6-2, 310-pound former undrafted free agent from Louisville.

Dunn, 27, signed a three-year, $12 million contract in February in advance of Reader’s departure.

Dunn is determined that the Texans won’t miss a beat with Reader gone.

“It’s a culture that was set by everybody: The next man up, next guy up,” Dunn said. “The void will be filled. There’s no void. We’re just going to keep playing and keep pushing. We have goals of ours in our room that we’re striving to hit and we’re just going to keep getting better every day.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Coutee, Watt, Dylan Cole, and Jon Greenard returned to practice today, while Gillaspia, WR Chad Hansen (who I posted eleswhere was tackled by Johnson and injured his shoulder), Coulter and Gaines did not practice.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Coutee, Watt, Dylan Cole, and Jon Greenard returned to practice today, while Gillaspia, WR Chad Hansen (who I posted eleswhere was tackled by Johnson and injured his shoulder), Coulter and Gaines did not practice.
Did Lonnie Johnson get butt chewing?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't know what mobility has to do with getting injured? Schaub is as immobile as they come and has had his own fair share of injuries.
Surprised you say that, Watson is constantly spoken of often during games by talking heads when he scrambles. What tempers comments is Dashaun's uncanny ability to move around while defenders take aim at him. Yeah that's fun to watch if your heart can handle it but not good for him or team in long run.

Schaub was injured because he couldn't maneuver much at all. That is no better. I want my QB remaining not only in the game but healthy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
And Brady defines statue and has been relatively injury free
Again a murky view:
Posted by

u/ruibingw

1 year ago

The quick release is back for Tom Brady: his time to throw of 2.38 seconds is the tied for the second-fastest release in the NFL this season only behind Andy Dalton (min. 50% of teams drop-backs).

twitter.com/ezlaza...
I cannot speak on accuracy of tweet but Brady has been known for quick release which tends to decrease need for mobility.