Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Are you happy with our first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Driving home from the grocery, which is the only time I have talk radio on, and they were talking about Titus Howard. Said that, barring injury, they’ve reached the view that he’s going to be an absolute stud RT next season to bookend Tunsil at LT.

Y’all agree?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
To think these idiot coaches thought he was a GUARD!! LMAO

He could have been our left tackle and saved us all those picks, but Buttchin is gonna Buttchin.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To think these idiot coaches thought he was a GUARD!! LMAO

He could have been our left tackle and saved us all those picks, but Buttchin is gonna Buttchin.
They tried him at LT and discovered he wasn't a LT. But hey, you've already said you know more than 30 year OL coach Paul Alexander, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that you still think you're the smartest man in the room.

zshawn10

All Pro
Wow @Tim_McManus just now on the Mike Missanelli show said he's heard whispers that the Eagles could be looking to use Andre Dillard as a means of dumping Alshon Jeffrey's contract. Thinks the fact Eagles seem very interested in bringing back Jason Peters tells you a lot.
— Play Like A Jet (@Playlikeajet1) March 2, 2020
@Jeff_McLane’s reporting also indicates the Eagles don’t believe Andre Dillard is ready to take over at LT and Jason Peters is still playing at a Pro Bowl level. https://t.co/woZIfkxks6

— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) March 1, 2020
Jason Peters
The 38-year-old tackle told reporters after the season finale that he wanted to play in 2020. Nothing over the last two months has changed his mind. The Eagles, however, have yet to decide if they want him back. As it was put to Pederson on Tuesday, it’s an either/or choice: Either the Eagles bring back Peters for his 12th season in Philadelphia or they allow him to leave via free agency, thus beginning the Andre Dillard tenure at left tackle. Peters isn’t staying to be a backup or to play guard. He will have starting options if he hits the market. Eagles coaches believe that Peters still has more than enough gas left in the tank. They believe that he played at a Pro Bowl level in the final two months of last season after he returned from arthroscopic knee surgery. They do understand that he is unlikely to play in all 16 games or more than the 77 percent of snaps he has played the last two years.

Another year with Peters would allow Dillard to watch and learn and likely play enough to continue his development. He hasn’t made as much progress as the Eagles had hoped when they moved up to draft him in the first round last year. Dillard needs to get stronger, both physically and mentally. Eagles coaches still believe in Dillard. He has the necessary athleticism. But bringing Peters back, despite the message it would send about Dillard’s future, would give the 24-year-old some additional time in an NFL culture he struggled to adapt to as a rookie. Ideally, Dillard would have made it obvious that it was time to move on from Peters. He did not. And what can’t be underplayed is the role owner Jeffrey Lurie will play in deciding a future Hall of Famer’s future. He is Peters’ greatest advocate. But Peters can’t ask for the moon. A contract similar to the one he signed last offseason – one year, $6 million with incentives – could make the most sense for both sides.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Also interesting with Peters is he will eat up some of the salary cap that Eagles have been talking about using for cornerback Byron Jones. He sort of has Philly over a barrel also and may not settle for 6 million dollar deal

badboy

Hall of Fame
Here's to creativity.
It is good to have game plan but when that back field goes in motion, well the QB has to be ready as a leader to be prepared for any slippage or slides. A great tight end is what I want on the playing field. I never hand off once play begins and while old and stiff, always take it to the house and go all the way to score. I agree Watson wants to make great plays each time but I do understand. It is difficult to be patient and know when to slow and when to speed up butt it can be done.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
It is good to have game plan but when that back field goes in motion, well the QB has to be ready as a leader to be prepared for any slippage or slides. A great tight end is what I want on the playing field. I never hand off once play begins and while old and stiff, always take it to the house and go all the way to score. I agree Watson wants to make great plays each time but I do understand. It is difficult to be patient and know when to slow and when to speed up butt it can be done.
What if you are a RB? Do you hesitate at the LOS like Le'Veon Bell, a straight ahead, hard charging RB like Earl Campbell or all over the place like Barry Sanders?

badboy

Hall of Fame
What if you are a RB? Do you hesitate at the LOS like Le'Veon Bell, a straight ahead, hard charging RB like Earl Campbell or all over the place like Barry Sanders?
Man I loved me some Earl Campbell but if I had to select one of that three, give me Barry Sanders. He just kept going and going...

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Man I loved me some Earl Campbell but if I had to select one of that three, give me Barry Sanders. He just kept going and going...
Give Detroit Earl Campbell and the Oilers Barry Sanders......Sanders is done in the NFL sooner than Earl if used in the same manner by Phillips. I'm not even sure Sanders makes it to the Saints. Earl would eventually gets to run in the Run-N-Shoot offense and that would've extended his career just like it did for Sanders. Now Campbell might've ended some DB's careers earlier than expected when they became the primary road block between Earl and the marker or end zone. Don't get me wrong, Barry Sanders was right up there with Earl in my book.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The 2020 Howard vs. Dillard competition is over. Today in practice, Dillard ruptured his biceps which will require surgery.........out for the season. Just another factor that makes the choice of Howard over Dillard a good decision.

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The 2020 Howard vs. Dillard competition is over. Today in practice, (Dillard) ruptured his biceps which will require surgery.........out for the season. Just another factor that makes the choice of Howard over Dillard a good decision.
I remember Howard missing half of his rookie season and 2020 hasn't begun yet. Hope you didn't just jinx Tytus.

If availability is the overriding factor, Kaleb McGary and Jawaan Taylor both started all 16 games of their rookie campaign. I guess drafting one of these guys would have been an even better decision.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I remember Howard missing half of his rookie season and 2020 hasn't begun yet. Hope you didn't just jinx Tytus.

If availability is the overriding factor, Kaleb McGary and Jawaan Taylor both started all 16 games of their rookie campaign. I guess drafting one of these guys would have been an even better decision.
My comparison was relating only to the ongoing pick controversy between Howard and Dillard............and I would stand by that after Dillard's questionable showing when he did get his opportunity.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
And as far as "jinxing" Howard. I've never believed jinxes exist..........certainly that words can negatively change fate. They are excuses for something that goes wrong that can be happenstance........or that actually has explanation when looked into in more detail. Had I chosen to really believe in such things, I would have just gone out and bought myself a good set of gourds and beads to dance with.............and become a voodoo witch doctor........would have definitely saved me many long years of medical/surgical training.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Notwithstanding injury histories............the Eagles who should know best, apparently have not been very enthralled with what Dillard has brought them.

************************************************************************************************

Eagles have reportedly shopped 2019 first-round pick Andre Dillard
Matt Johnson, Sportsnaut 4/24/2020

The first round of the NFL Draft is one of the most anticipated moments on the league’s calendar. Teams and fans fawn over top prospects and rave about picks even before that player steps on the field. While it often works out, the Philadelphia Eagles are reportedly having regrets about their 2019 first-round selection only a year after drafting him.

When the Eagles selected offensive tackle Andre Dillard with the No. 22 overall pick, many praised the team for grabbing an excellent talent at a valuable position. Just a year later, the Eagles are reportedly shopping Dillard around the league.

According to NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Derrick Gunn, the Eagles dangled Dillard to multiple teams in trade talks in recent weeks. This decision came just months after Philadelphia parted ways with offensive tackle Jason Peters, a leader in their locker room who had been with the Eagles since 2009. Many assumed Philly made the move feeling confident that Dillard would be ready to step in at left tackle next season.

While many outside the organization liked Dillard, the confidence apparently isn’t shared as strongly in Philadelphia. The Eagles have major concerns about Dillard, according to PhillyVoice’s Jimmy Kempski, with some saying the 24-year-old lineman doesn’t have the mentality to play in Philadelphia.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Attachments

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Notwithstanding injury histories............the Eagles who should know best, apparently have not been very enthralled with what Dillard has brought them.

************************************************************************************************

The first round of the NFL Draft is one of the most anticipated moments on the league’s calendar. Teams and fans fawn over top prospects and rave about picks even before that player steps on the field. While it often works out, the Philadelphia Eagles are reportedly having regrets about their 2019 first-round selection only a year after drafting him.

When the Eagles selected offensive tackle Andre Dillard with the No. 22 overall pick, many praised the team for grabbing an excellent talent at a valuable position. Just a year later, the Eagles are reportedly shopping Dillard around the league.

According to NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Derrick Gunn, the Eagles dangled Dillard to multiple teams in trade talks in recent weeks. This decision came just months after Philadelphia parted ways with offensive tackle Jason Peters, a leader in their locker room who had been with the Eagles since 2009. Many assumed Philly made the move feeling confident that Dillard would be ready to step in at left tackle next season.

While many outside the organization liked Dillard, the confidence apparently isn’t shared as strongly in Philadelphia. The Eagles have major concerns about Dillard, according to PhillyVoice’s Jimmy Kempski, with some saying the 24-year-old lineman doesn’t have the mentality to play in Philadelphia.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Wow somewhere Brian Gaine has got to be smiling right about now, and the Eagles GM Howie Roseman was being coronated as some kind of genius for moving up ahead of the Texans in last years Draft to grab Dillard.

badboy

Hall of Fame

THE REST OF THE STORY
Did he just call Dillard stupid?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Did he just call Dillard stupid?
Dillard had numerous "meltdowns" last year during practices and TC which the Eagles tried to attribute to "stress." The same signs, although not publicized, have cropped up and been apparent to have spilled over to this year. This was part of what has led the Eagles to conclude that Dillard does not have the mindset to be a high-functioning NFL OT.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Dillard had numerous "meltdowns" last year during practices and TC which the Eagles tried to attribute to "stress." The same signs, although not publicized, have cropped up and been apparent to have spilled over to this year. This was part of what has led the Eagles to conclude that Dillard does not have the mindset to be a high-functioning NFL OT.
To add to this discussion:

Eagles fans were not super-patient with the rookie, especially after he was benched at halftime of his awful start at right tackle against Seattle. This offseason, did he reflect on how he was perceived?
“From my perspective, I don’t really take to heart what fans say,” Dillard said. “They’re not on our practice field, or in our meeting rooms. The only opinion that matters is coaches and players.”

PapaL

Loose Screw
I don’t know why you’re in a rush to declare a winner but considering both players have missed time to injury and they’re so early in their careers; it’s plain dumb to do so.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I don’t know why you’re in a rush to declare a winner but considering both players have missed time to injury and they’re so early in their careers; it’s plain dumb to do so.
To be fair to CloakNNNDagger, he did say "The 2020 Howard vs. Dillard competition is over" and he would be right since Dillard will be out for 2020.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yes, but not by much. However what time they did spend on the field, Howard has looked miles better than Dillon already.
The season hasn't even started, why are you saying Howard will have a crappy season?
Didn't PFF rank Howard very high before injury? I thought that has been discussed?

PapaL

Loose Screw
Yes, but not by much. However what time they did spend on the field, Howard has looked miles better than Dillon already.
The season hasn't even started, why are you saying Howard will have a crappy season?
My point isn’t that he’s going to have a crappy season; it’s that one dude being injured doesn’t mean the other dude wins before the first snap. Let’s say he plays pretty decent all year but gives up a sack that leads to an injury. Does that mean he had the better season than the dude that didn’t play? No.

I fully expect Howard to tear it up this season. Let him earn it by play. Stop w the preseason participation trophies.