Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2011 NFL Draft: Round 2/3, Texans with 42nd and 73rd picks/Thread(Reed/Harris)

what did he say? i am on nfl.com

Said Kareem Jackson is a bust or busted in his first year, talking about this years draft, "critcized" the Texans for taking Watt and for passing on Prince. Is also down on Brandon Harris. Said he didnt have the best of years(had a down year) this past year. Didnt really say anything on Reed.

Jon Gruden said stop hating, Mel responds I picked them to go to SB if they can get their D right.

EASILY the best 1st - 3rd round since 2006. Funny thing - in 2006 Casserly was running the draft, and in 2011 this draft has Wade Phillips shoe prints all over it. If anyone thinks that Rick Smith is picking these guys, they are smoking something. Rick Smith needs to be tied up, blindfolded, and thrown in the cloak closet every draft day. Rick Smith was the guy that was killing our defense. He had NO clue at all.

It's amazing to see what can happen when someone that understands defense is making the picks. Amazing picks, and I actually think we have a very good defense this year, especially if we can pick up an Ike Taylor type in FA to go along with Harris. Solid A draft from me to this point.

Dare I say it - after this draft I'm actually getting excited again. :kubepalm:

Problem is, we were drafting too many project guys before. Guys who had a low ceiling but COULD become something. The guys we are drafting now at the very least I feel could be good depth players...something we don't even have now with all these years of drafting.

I think Last year we had a pretty good draft though, I think Mitchell and Tate will pan out and i'm holding my opinion on Kareem because he did what most CBs would do if they were put in that same situation.

who do you think will still be on the board in the 4th. Any decent safeties likely to stay that long

Deunta Williams FS North Carolina (X)
Quinton Carter FS Oklahoma
Robert Sands FS West Virginia
Chris Culliver DB South Carolina
Ahmad Black SS Florida

Problem is, we were drafting too many project guys before. Guys who had a low ceiling but COULD become something. The guys we are drafting now at the very least I feel could be good depth players...something we don't even have now with all these years of drafting.

I think Last year we had a pretty good draft though, I think Mitchell and Tate will pan out and i'm holding my opinion on Kareem because he did what most CBs would do if they were put in that same situation.

LOL on Kareem. He was terrible. "Most" first round Corners can actually play to a somewhat competent level in year one. Yes it takes a couple yrs to fully develop but he was beyond awful. Sorry, but that part of your response is pure BS. If they manage to turn him into a real player, they should get coach of the year.

Last few picks:

Dolphins - Daniel Thomas, RB, K-State

Steelers - Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

Packers - WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky

End of the 2nd round here

Problem is, we were drafting too many project guys before. Guys who had a low ceiling but COULD become something.

You need to check your terminology.

Ceiling is above, means there is a limit to how good they can grow to. Therefore you want a high ceiling in a player.

A floor is below meaning that they can be bad. You want a high floor.

I think you are suggesting in the past we drafted high ceiling, low floor players and too often they ended up on the floor.

to be fair he had frank bush and david gibbs coaching him and no safety help up top and what seems like a neverending supply of broken cleats

Damn its nice to have an experienced DC who knows his scheme and what type of players he wants to run it!

OH and a HC and GM who are willing to give him what he asks for to save this A$$es!

Ceiling is above, means there is a limit to how good they can grow to. Therefore you want a high ceiling in a player.

I think you are suggesting in the past we drafted high ceiling, low floor players and too often they ended up on the floor.

Tried to rep. you for this, but you know the drill!

LOL on Kareem. He was terrible. "Most" first round Corners can actually play to a somewhat competent level in year one. Yes it takes a couple yrs to fully develop but he was beyond awful. Sorry, but that part of your response is pure BS. If they manage to turn him into a real player, they should get coach of the year.

Nah it's not really BS. CBs hardly start their first year, forget about having a decent year...but that's another discussion entirely.

Yeah thats what I meant. They were drafting guys with a low floor but who they thought could develop into really good players.

I mean now they are drafting guys with lower ceilings.

to be fair he had frank bush and david gibbs coaching him and no safety help up top and what seems like a neverending supply of broken cleats

Take no offense rookie, but it helps if you quote the poster you are addressing. Especially in a fast hitting thread like this.

Woohoo, Marcus Gilbert, OT from Florida goes to the Steelers in the 2nd! This will help my TTalk mock draft rating as I took him in the 3rd with the 6th pick :D

Someone named "senor stan' told me this was a reach. Well that'll teach him a lesson! :P

Bills select LB Kelvin Sheppard, LSU

Cardinals select TE Robert Housler, Florida Atlantic

Chiefs take Justin Houston, LB, Georgia

So awtysst, do you think Casey Matthews will be there in the 4th for us? I wouldn't mind another no quit player, which would allow us to move Cushing into the strong-side linebacker possibly?

I still think we get a corner in free agency, and maybe a strong safety. Not much left at safety by the time we pick again.

Back