Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2011 NFL Draft: Round 2/3, Texans with 42nd and 73rd picks/Thread(Reed/Harris)

Now i'm happy. That's the guy I wanted with our second.

Kudos to Rick Smith.

Who did you want with the third?
------

Colts - Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
Saints - Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
Chargers - Shareece Wright, CB, USC
Eagles - Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State
Falcons - Akeem Dent, ILB, Georgia
Raiders - Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU
Bears - Chris Conte, S, Cal
Jets - Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton
Steelers - Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
Packers - Alex Green, RB, Hawaii
Carolina - Panthers - Sione Fua, DT, Stanford

Last edited:
Damn, I´d have liked Ellis in the 4th. Now I have my fingers crossed for Deunta Williams or Quinton Carter. If we go O-Lin I could see us go with Clint Boling - this is what NFL.com says about him:

Boling's a prospect with a lot of starting experience at both guard and tackle who profiles best as an NFL guard. A savvy, maximum-effort guy who could find a home with a franchise that values technique and mobility up front above pure strength. Has great awareness and understands the finer points of line play. Is comfortable when zone blocking or matched up against speed rushers or gap penetrators in pass protection. Isn't going to blow defenders off the ball and stand his ground against the bull rush. Experienced, versatile and durable, Boling could come off the board in the third round.

Steelers dipping into the Longhorn pool again(Hampton, Sweed, Hills, Scott, now Brown. Missing anyone?)

Reed snapshot from Sports Network:

2010 First Team All-Pac 10...Entered 2009 campaign on Hendricks Award and Lombardi Award watch lists...Honorable Mention All-Pac 10 in 2008...Four-year letterman, started 34 career games for Arizona, compiling 114 career tackles, and 17 career sacks...Tallied a career-high 47 total tackles in 2010, including 10 TFL and 6.5 sacks...Combines a high motor with quickness off the ball to rate as a gifted pass rusher...Good leverage and balance...Pursues from sideline to sideline...Deceptive power enables a consistently effective bull rush...Sound tackler who is capable of laying a big hit...Possesses intangibles such as vocal, spirited leadership and high football IQ...Needs to improve flexibility in hips and ability to change direction...Limited pass rushing techniques...Has trouble disengaging from blocks and can be overwhelmed by upper echelon athletes...Lacks experience in pass coverage...Fits into tweener category...May get looks as 4-3 end or 3-4 outside linebacker.

Harris clip from TSN:

2009 All-ACC First Team...2010 All-ACC Second Team...2009 and 2010 Thorpe Award Semifinalist...Decided to forgo senior season to enter this draft...Had 44 tackles and 10 PBU's in 2010 but managed only one interception...Tied for second nationally with 15 PBU's as a sophomore...Had two interceptions in 2009...Started half of team's games as a freshman in 2008...A strong player with good speed and an impressive collegiate resume...Has shutdown corner potential despite lack of ideal size...A tremendous natural athlete who excels in man coverage...Identifies run plays quickly and is more than willing totake down ball carriers...Has room for improvement in regard to technique...Leadership and passion for the game are impressive.

I´m looking for those guys in the 4th:

Sam Acho DE Texas
Deunta Williams FS North Carolina
Quinton Carter FS Oklahoma
Robert Sands FS West Virginia
Casey Matthews LB Oregon
Ahmad Black SS Florida
Clint Boling G Georgia
Tandon Doss WR Indiana

Anyone else notice while we are drafting all these defensive players who play with some intensity the Colts are drafting offensive linemen??

:stirpot::headbang:

Anyone else notice while we are drafting all these defensive players who play with some intensity the Colts are drafting offensive linemen??

:stirpot::headbang:

let's hope it pays off in week one. I'm calling reed, williams, and watt destroying that o-line

Todd McShay calls Brooks Reed best pick of Day 2.

As he should.

I'm using my first post in this thread to express how much I love this draft. There was no trying to outsmart everyone by picking project players. Each of our picks is a high character leader with elite athleticism and intense work ethic, all while filling our positions of greatest need.

This is why I was stoked that Wade was coming to Houston. Lockout or not, I am excited.

At first I was a little concerned over the picks, but that was me just being ignorant. After reading up on these guys and watching their highlights I am excited to see what the defense will look like this year.

As he should.

I'm using my first post in this thread to express how much I love this draft. There was no trying to outsmart everyone by picking project players. Each of our picks is a high character leader with elite athleticism and intense work ethic, all while filling our positions of greatest need.

This is why I was stoked that Wade was coming to Houston. Lockout or not, I am excited.

Agreed. I have a TON of faith in Wade as a DC. Let's see what the man can do.

I´m looking for those guys in the 4th:

Sam Acho DE Texas
Deunta Williams FS North Carolina
Quinton Carter FS Oklahoma
Robert Sands FS West Virginia
Casey Matthews LB Oregon
Ahmad Black SS Florida
Clint Boling G Georgia
Tandon Doss WR Indiana

I like Acho, Quinton Carter, D. Williams, or A. Black in the 4th!:evil:

I don't know if it means a lot but here's Rick Gosselin's top 100 prospects still available. I didn't double check so there might be mistake in taking out the name from this list.

35, Marcus Cannon G TCU
57, Edmond Gates WR Abilene Christian
62, Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington
69, Luke Stocker TE Tennessee
74, Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State
75, K.J. Wright OLB Mississippi State
77, Tandon Doss WR Indiana
80, Pernell McPhee DE Mississippi State
83, Jalil Brown CB Colorado
85, Rashad Carmichael CB Virginia Tech
89, Clint Boling G Georgia
90, Bilal Powell RB Louisville
91, Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
93, Brandon Burton CB Utah
94, Sam Acho DE Texas
95, James Brewer OT Indiana
97, Quinton Carter S Oklahoma
98, Jerrell Powe DT Mississippi
99, Colin McCarthy OLB Miami
100, David Arkin OT Missouri State

Go Texans!!!

I don't know if it means a lot but here's Rick Gosselin's top 100 prospects still available. I didn't double check so there might be mistake in taking out the name from this list.

35, Marcus Cannon G TCU
91, Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
94, Sam Acho DE Texas

Go Texans!!!

Marcus Cannon isn't on the list anymore. He was diagnosed with Cancer earlier this week.

Marcus Cannon isn't on the list anymore. He was diagnosed with Cancer earlier this week.

Right, thanks. Here's revised one.

91, Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
94, Sam Acho DE Texas

Go Texans!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZecT9lrFk&feature=relmfu

I don't know if anybody saw this but these guys label Brooks Reed as a workout warrior, overhyped draft pick. That maybe his hair and comparisons to Matthews are helping him out a little too much, that he may pan out as a solid starter but anyone spending a first or second round on him was reaching. I think they may be right about the Matthews thing but getting a "solid starter" for a 2nd round pick is alright by me. And frankly we don't need him to be Clay Matthews. We need Mario to be that kind of dominator.

Watching highlights and listening to Herring talk about him, I'm buying pass rush ability for Brooks Reed. And as far as having a "maxed out frame"...6'3'' 260..4.6...30 bench...I'm good with that, even if he is a little muscle bound.

And to be fair, Matthews shot up the boards too and is a bit of an over achiever himself.

He might be a reach as a high 2nd, who really knows how far he would've fallen. All I can say is with the transition on D, getting the talent needed is worth the price.

The shock is about to become reality this weekend against the Colts in Texan season opener :wesmantexanfan:

I actually re-read the entire draft threads this morning.

Amazing the emotional swings easily forgotten.

Was so sure Amak would've been ours. (To my dismay)

Back