Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Who Starts at QB in Carolina? - Mallett

4m4 minutes ago
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Sources: #Texans are poised to make a quarterback change. They are preparing to play with QB Ryan Mallett as their starter vs. the #Panthers

Looks like you boys will get your wish!

I'd start Hoyer if DB doesn't play. I know that sounds bad, but other than Arian, DB is the most important to our offensive "production"

460x.jpg

The plot thickens.

O'Brien is clearly not happy with the QBs on his roster. No doubt it is a continued search in progress when the off-season resumes...unless Mallet can prove he's the man for the job (I know Hoyer is not the man for the job and Savage is out for the season, so only option left to prove is Mallet).

I hope OB doesn't short leash Mallett if he has a pick.
I have to think that since there was a whole body of work that predicted what would happen last game with Hoyer, the leash got pulled in quickly when Hoyer looked like what he has always looked like.

I believe that with Mallet, OB knows that he has to give him the opportunity to accumulate a decent body of work, including mistakes if he still shows significant other positives, before ever deciding to yank the rug.

Bill has a ton of pressure weighing all of this out and making it work. The NFL has gone to the 2 back system, non franchise QB teams might go the way of the 2 QB system. We have a fine couple of young men to do that with!

The NFL is starting to catch on to Pancakes. Not even an hour after he basically confirms that Hoyer will start, other NFL sources are pouring in with reports on Mallett getting the nod.

Doesn't sound like a man who knows that he has lost his starter status.

You know, if your OL isn't getting it done and isn't giving the QB time to throw they can make a QB look really bad. If your QB makes slow decisions or shows a real weakness for the blitz then he can make OL look really bad too. I think with Mallett OB sees that he's got a guy who will have the ball out in a hurry. We saw it in Cleveland and Cincinnati last year (albeit accuracy in Cincy was non-existent due to his injury) and we saw it this past week against KC in the last 6 minutes. Mallett drops sets and fires (or is that "Mallett stops, drops, and open up shop"?). He is not going to play a mistake free game this week and I don't think OB expects him to. He is going to be on time though and if you think about it the only time Hoyer looked good this year (preseason or last week) was when he did just that. I hate to say it since the game is so mental from the QB position but "Don't think, just play" might be the way to keep our QB's upright and our drives moving in the right direction until we get the LG position squared away and Ben Jones gets some chemistry with Brooks and Adams/X.

I would have went with Mallett just on his post press conference alone.

:yes:

I was hoping he'd bring an alarm clock to that press conference & put it on the podium, point to it before any asked any questions, & just say "boom!!" while pointing at it. & anytime they asked him a question, point to the clock, smile, nod... & say, "Boom!!" with a wink.

Maybe even let us hear what the alarm sounds like later in the questioning.

What concerned me was having Savage on IR, not to return, for a 4 week injury. History for this team indicates you better have a good 3rd option.

What concerned me was having Savage on IR, not to return, for a 4 week injury. History for this team indicates you better have a good 3rd option.

When they IR him for the season because of a 4 week injury , what does that tell you about their confidence in the player ?!

That aint good .....

If both Mallett & Hoyer get injured .... be prepared for someone off the street (Keenum again?!).

There's got to be something that Obrien doesn't like about Mallet (his Jesse Pinkman demeanor perhaps?) but he waited too long last year to put Mallet in and he didn't pick him to start this season either.

I believe this is the perfect assessment of Ryan Mallett. Jessie Pinkman. Mallett can come off like Fred Sanford was want to say, like a "big dummy," yet I believe there is one thing that Mallett is really good at - and that's when the lights come on for real - and that's playing QB in a football game that counts!

I don't know if Mallett is going to consistently churn out batch-after-batch of the 98% pure blue crank. Right now all we might get is the ChiliP variety, but given a chance by Walter White (Bill O'Brien) you put a little confidence in the young man and this whole city could get high!

#CharlieSheen

We need Ryan Mallett to stay healthy and make these 15 starts. So we can go into the off-season knowing if we need to invest a first-round pick on a quarterback entering the next draft. It's an open audition for him. Hopefully he takes advantage of it and plays well. He'll be 28 years old going into next season. It's the prime of his career and this is his last chance to become a legitimate starting NFL quarterback.

I here you, but I bet O'Brien comes out with a very run oriented game plan to hide Hoyer. I seriously doubt OB ever planned for either of these guys to carry this team.
agree that OBrien did not plan for either to carry team so why did he not go to a "very run oriented game plan to hide Hoyer" in 2nd Q? All preseason folks talked about offense being run oriented with Foster. He did not play but RB avg was very good; why not push the run? Give Hoyer a Q to get it back together and then come out in third with a plan to catch up?

Everyone, including coaches, believes that one of the necessary qualities in a successful QB is intelligence. Well, I have two words to dispel that idea: Ben Roethlisberger.

Intelligence and football intelligence can be two different things. Though having the former increases the odds of having the latter. But if Mallett is not exactly Stephen Hawking (which I don't know, maybe he is, maybe he isn't), that shouldn't have automatically disqualified him as O'Brien's first choice.

When they IR him for the season because of a 4 week injury , what does that tell you about their confidence in the player ?!

That aint good .....

If both Mallett & Hoyer get injured .... be prepared for someone off the street (Keenum again?!).

His injury was nowhere near only a 4 week injury.

http://www.texanstalk.com/posts/2521259/

Bill has a ton of pressure weighing all of this out and making it work. The NFL has gone to the 2 back system, non franchise QB teams might go the way of the 2 QB system. We have a fine couple of young men to do that with!
uh..which 2 would that be?

Oh so now we are going to a 2 QB system HAHA.....yeah ok.

Did you see Mark Schlereth's comments on NFL Live on ESPN earlier? He said now that the Texans made this change to Ryan Mallett, it's obvious they are seeking better quarterback play, that they should feel like they are in a position to overtake the Colts in the AFC South. He mentioned just with decent quarterback play they will be a strong favorite in this division.

The other guys on the panel laughed, Trey Wingo even mentioned don't discount the Colts after one tough game at Buffalo, but Schlereth was fired up and even yelled, "I made up my mind!" Good for Schlereth. It's refreshing to see a nationally unbiased person giving the Texans some praise. We're always the source of bad jokes and rhetorical analysis.

When do we start asking for Tebow?

Edit: I'm mostly just kidding.. mostly.
For what? Third-string job? I'm okay signing him for that. Tom Savage is out for a while. He didn't even beat out that no-name dude from the Eagles. And that was just for their third-string job.

The plot thickens.

O'Brien is clearly not happy with the QBs on his roster. No doubt it is a continued search in progress when the off-season resumes...unless Mallet can prove he's the man for the job (I know Hoyer is not the man for the job and Savage is out for the season, so only option left to prove is Mallet).

They got 2 of his Patriot boyfriends on the roster JUST for him. I'm not feeling any sympathy for him at all. These are his QBs. Period.

That aint good .....

I believe it was for an 8 week minimum injury, so it was a good call. Why rush him back too soon in case he's next years starter.

I think it is more important to make observations and draw conclusions quickly. That's not the same as being intelligent. We all know people that are brilliant and can't make good decisions.

Back