Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Who Starts at QB in Carolina? - Mallett

Did you see Mark Schlereth's comments on NFL Live on ESPN earlier? He said now that the Texans made this change to Ryan Mallett, it's obvious they are seeking better quarterback play, that they should feel like they are in a position to overtake the Colts in the AFC South. He mentioned just with decent quarterback play they will be a strong favorite in this division.

The other guys on the panel laughed, Trey Wingo even mentioned don't discount the Colts after one tough game at Buffalo, but Schlereth was fired up and even yelled, "I made up my mind!" Good for Schlereth. It's refreshing to see a nationally unbiased person giving the Texans some praise. We're always the source of bad jokes and rhetorical analysis.

Schlereth's summing up my thoughts pretty closely.

The Colts have been in decline since last season. They took a major drop after the Cowboys exposed them late last season, and sports media isn't ready to acknowledge it yet.

I love that this news is breaking less than an hour ago when McLame tweeted this gem...

https://mobile.twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/644200519574114304

54m54 minutes ago
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
I will be shocked if Brian Hoyer isn't the QB at Carolina despite the fan and media outcry for Ryan Mallett.

I was just about to post this. As usual, just take the opposite of what the "insider" has to say.

201507260803APD.gif

pancakes-aliens.jpg

I'm hoping that both QBs improve no matter who starts. I also hope both are prepared to play every Game because our history at QB indicates both will receive playing time before the season ends.

I'm surprised that Mallett got the nod so quickly, but I don't think he has any more of a leash than Hoyer did.

In the back of my mind, I'm also suspicious that OB has told both QBs they were starting this week just to keep his decision and the Panthers guessing. I can't get past a misinformation campaign.

Schlereth's summing up my thoughts pretty closely.

The Colts have been in decline since last season. They took a major drop after the Cowboys exposed them late last season, and sports media isn't ready to acknowledge it yet.
Maybe, but they did manage to win the next three games - including two playoff games - to make it to the AFC Championship.

I honestly see little change in direction for the Colts. The team they are now looks very similar to the team they've been since Luck was drafted.

They've got a crappy O-line, an iffy (IMO) RB situation, a poor defense, a coach who may or may not be in over his head, a GM who's living off of one draft pick(Maybe two with T.Y. Hilton) and one trade (Vonta Davis), and an owner who's the perfect person to oversee all of this. They've also got a really good group of receivers, and of course Andrew Luck. They've gone 11-5 for three years in a row, during which time they're 19-5 at home, and 14-11 (including 2015 week 1) on the road. To me, that's pretty much rock steady.

That said, just as the Texans have been characterized as a team that's trying to prove how far you can go without a QB, the Colts are pretty much a team that's trying to prove how far you can go with only a QB. If the Texans can even partially close the QB gap in a real and long-term fashion, I believe the division is there for the taking.

Does this mean that the team is in panic mode already? I thought O'brien said that we have to wait until game day to find out who it will be.

I don't want to piss on everyone's chips (and I'm certainly delighted Mallett has a chance), but I still don't think the offense is going to take-off until Foster is back. In many ways the guy who is starter on his return is the one with a big advantage because it's a different game entirely when Arian plays: an effective running game sets the pass up so much better.

Does this mean that the team is in panic mode already? I thought O'brien said that we have to wait until game day to find out who it will be.

If I remember correctly he noted that the media might find out prior to the game.

I believe this is the perfect assessment of Ryan Mallett. Jessie Pinkman. Mallett can come off like Fred Sanford was want to say, like a "big dummy," yet I believe there is one thing that Mallett is really good at - and that's when the lights come on for real - and that's playing QB in a football game that counts!

I don't know if Mallett is going to consistently churn out batch-after-batch of the 98% pure blue crank. Right now all we might get is the ChiliP variety, but given a chance by Walter White (Bill O'Brien) you put a little confidence in the young man and this whole city could get high!

#CharlieSheen

Tiger Blood!

Did you see Mark Schlereth's comments on NFL Live on ESPN earlier? He said now that the Texans made this change to Ryan Mallett, it's obvious they are seeking better quarterback play, that they should feel like they are in a position to overtake the Colts in the AFC South. He mentioned just with decent quarterback play they will be a strong favorite in this division.

The other guys on the panel laughed, Trey Wingo even mentioned don't discount the Colts after one tough game at Buffalo, but Schlereth was fired up and even yelled, "I made up my mind!" Good for Schlereth. It's refreshing to see a nationally unbiased person giving the Texans some praise. We're always the source of bad jokes and rhetorical analysis.

Hope he's right.

There's a reason the Texans WERE the butt of national jokes.

I don't want to piss on everyone's chips (and I'm certainly delighted Mallett has a chance), but I still don't think the offense is going to take-off until Foster is back. In many ways the guy who is starter on his return is the one with a big advantage because it's a different game entirely when Arian plays: an effective running game sets the pass up so much better.

I don't think there was a single run --maybe one-- during the entire time Mallet was in the game. The D had their ears pinned back and were coming for Mallett, but could only manage one sack. Mainly for the same reason Smith was not getting sacked. He was not holding onto the ball. It was coming out on time, and because he has such velocity, it gets there quicker leaving less time for defender to react.

If Mallet is lighting up the secondary, it means less defenders in the box, which means our running game has a chance. I thought Blue was pounding the ball well. But after we fell behind, we abandoned the run.

The way I see it Hoyer has been a tremendous asset to Mallett's career.

First, Hoyer plays like **** AGAINST Mallett up in Cleveland, for a Mallett win.

Next, Hoyer plays like **** FOR Mallett, giving Mallett a "win."

If Mallett can capitalize on this throughout the rest of the season, Mallett should at least owe Hoyer a fruit basket or a Candygram.

Supposedly he was sick, rumor was he got wasted the night before.

Ryan Mallett has been surrounded by scrutiny throughout the months leading up to the NFL draft. While teams have noticed the quarterback's arm, they've also noticed his reputation for partying, thanks in part to being arrested for public intoxication in March 2009. When Mallett cancelled most of his meetings with the Carolina Panthers on April 9, rumors started cropping up that he was hungover from late-night partying. Mallett's agent, J.R. Carroll, denied that his client was hungover to ESPN.com. Carroll told ESPN that Mallett had dinner with Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones, the two walked around downtown Charlotte and then Mallett headed back to his hotel room around 10 p.m. when he didn't feel well. "I'm pretty sure Ryan was really, really sick," Carroll said to ESPN. "He told me he was sick the night before. And I know Ryan wasn't out late [that] night. I know that for sure. He's not an idiot. "I'll tell you this — Ryan was in his hotel room by about 10 o'clock," Carroll said. Carroll said Mallett met with the Panthers offensive coordinator, Rob Chudzinski, the morning after, but then felt too sick to go on with any other meetings set up for the day. A Panthers official supported Carroll's statement, saying said Mallett had dinner with Carolina's coaches the evening he arrived and informed a staff member the next morning at a scheduled breakfast that he had been sick all night with nausea. "We told Ryan that, if he was ill, to remain in his room as long as the nausea existed," the official said. "We took him to the airport later that afternoon for his scheduled flight."
link

Ryan Mallett has been surrounded by scrutiny throughout the months leading up to the NFL draft. While teams have noticed the quarterback's arm, they've also noticed his reputation for partying, thanks in part to being arrested for public intoxication in March 2009.

Gentlemen, I believe we have found our leader. :texflag:

I'm all for Mallet starting, I just wish they waited a week against the Bucs at home.

On the road, against that Panthers D, no X, no Foster, and now possibly no Duane!?

Lets say we lose this game to a score of like 14-13, Mallet has a terrible game due to constant pressure, and he misses alot of opportunities to score. Where does the coaching staff go from there?

I'm all for Mallet starting, I just wish they waited a week against the Bucs at home.

On the road, against that Panthers D, no X, no Foster, and now possibly no Duane!?

Lets say we lose this game to a score of like 14-13, Mallet has a terrible game due to constant pressure, and he misses alot of opportunities to score. Where does the coaching staff go from there?
On to the next game.

I can't remember when or if I've ever wished for a player to succeed as much as I am for Mallet.

It depends, if he looks scared & befuddled, we promote Dysert (or whatever his name is) from the practice squad & get him ready to play. If he's just ineffective, then we'll work on that.

Can't fix scared & stupid... just about anything else, you can try.

Out drinking with Mallett?

Hoyer can be the designated driver. Club soda for him.

Maybe a chance was missed during the offseason to obtain a better QB but this might be a second chance for a new start let's hope so. Time for a new beginning is right now.

I think it's good that we're away. Get some space from the rabid fickle fans who would overdo every cheer or boo, just go play football.

As to your last paragraph, the coaching staff doesn't do anything if Mallet has a bad game. We already know Hoyer wilts under the lights and he doesn't give us any shot to win consistently. Savage is IR'ed. We may as well ride it out with Mallet to see what we've got.

Ya, the answer for what do we do if Mal has a bad game is just run him again. We've seen him make plays in spurts, we've seen him make a few bad throws in spurts, we need to see what he does for four quarters for a few games to determine what his mean play his. Finding that out that and getting a feel for how he responds to w's and l's as the guy should be what this will be all about. Once we have a grasp of that we can decide whether that's who we want in the huddle long-term.

Last edited:
Only four coaches in past 11 seasons have demoted QBs after one game
2h

• Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- This is not uncharted territory, but it's close.

Bill O'Brien thought enough of Brian Hoyer to sign him to the Houston Texans. He thought enough of him to choose him as the team's starter after a five-months long quarterback competition. Now he's apparently changed his mind, having told Ryan Mallett he will start.

One of two things is happening here. Either O'Brien made a mistake in choosing Hoyer at all and admitted that mistake early. Or, O'Brien is now making a mistake in switching to Ryan Mallett because he isn't giving Hoyer, whom he praised one week ago, enough time.

Mallett's play will answer that question.

Whatever the prism for understanding this move, it's an unusual one. It signifies turmoil at the most important position on the field.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, there have been 21 instances of a team changing starting quarterbacks after just one game since 2005. Most of these changes were made due to injury, though some injured quarterbacks never got their jobs back. Four were purely coaches' decisions and only one of those four teams made the playoffs.

In 2014 the Rams started Shaun Hill for one game before replacing him with Austin Davis. According to ESPN Stats and Info, they went 6-10 and did not make the playoffs.

In 2008 Tampa Bay benched Jeff Garcia after one game for Brian Griese. Griese went 3-2, the Bucs went 9-7 that season and they missed the playoffs.

In 2007 Cleveland opened the season with Charlie Frye, then benched him for Derek Anderson. Anderson actually did well, going 10-5 and leading the Browns to a 10-6 record. They missed the playoffs anyway. Frye was traded in the week after his first start. Current Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel was the Browns' head coach at the time.

In 2005, Washington started Patrick Ramsey at first, then benched him for Mark Brunell after one game. Brunell went 9-6, and Washington did make the playoffs, the only group of the bunch to do so.

If the mistake was indeed O'Brien's and he is correcting it now, Mallett will prove that in his next few games. This team, after all, was considered all offseason as being just a quarterback away.

I don't understand what the big deal is? He made a decission, realized it was wrong, and corrected it in a timely mannor to save the season. Would it have been better to ride out Hoyer for the next four games and then switch?

Mallett's story reminds me of Terry Bradshaw's. Hopefully we get the same amount of Superbowl wins.

Bradshaw
By January, 1979, Terry Bradshaw already had led the Pittsburgh Steelers to two Super Bowl Championships. He had the rings to prove it. But unlike Bart Starr and Bob Griese, quarterbacks who were treated like royalty after guiding their teams to victories in back-to-back Super Bowls, Bradshaw was seen as somehow different. He just did not seem to have the right stuff. He was talented enough. No one in the league threw a more powerful pass than Bradshaw, who could sting a receiver's hands 50 yards downfield. At 6 feet 3 inches and 220 pounds, he was the ideal size and he was naturally gifted, all right. But he was a little rough around the edges. After eight NFL seasons, he still had not been selected to a Pro Bowl.
Even his coach, Chuck Noll, doubted Bradshaw on occasion, benching him at various times for Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam, though that ended in 1974, Pittsburgh's first Super Bowl season. Bradshaw's teammates wondered about their quarterback as well. When he once called a power sweep on third-and-30, two offensive linemen threatened to punch him unless he changed the play. At least partly because of his down-home speech patterns, Bradshaw was referred to as "Li'l Abner," a backwoods cartoon character, even as he led the Steelers to their first NFL championship in 1974.

OB "Ryan gave us a spark. This isn't an indictment against Brian. Ryan played well and has practiced hard. This is Ryan's opportunity."

OBrien "Ryan is our starter against Carolina. I said all summer it was extremely close competition. Brian was most consistent in camp."​

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
O'Brien isn't going to go into what he said on Hard Knocks. Said they showed 2 minutes of a longer conversation about the decision.​

OB "Ryan gave us a spark. This isn't an indictment against Brian. Ryan played well and has practiced hard. This is Ryan's opportunity."

OBrien "Ryan is our starter against Carolina. I said all summer it was extremely close competition. Brian was most consistent in camp."​

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
O'Brien isn't going to go into what he said on Hard Knocks. Said they showed 2 minutes of a longer conversation about the decision.​
610 is reporting Mallett splitting 1st team reps with Hoyer?

Sucks if true. Why would he split reps between them?

Only thing I'm thinking is OB may switch if Mallett starts to do bad.

:toropalm:
Think about it. Even when Mallett had a torn pec, he did not play as bad as Hoyer did week 1. How bad could he play being healthy? If true, splitting reps is bullsh!t and he didn't do it with Hoyer. If he is going to tap Mallett, give him the starters reps.

Geez, OB is really f'king this entire thing up.

Yeah he is. Regardless of whatever they've spoken about inside the Texans camp what is splitting reps during the week putting in Mallett's head? Is he going to go out there thinking that with a single mistake he'll get the hook?

OB I'm starting to think is in over his head.

Back